Stage Select

DNF Duel - Dungeon Fighter....Fighter from Arc Systems Works!

I have no idea what he said but I’m assuming it was

”it’s pretty much Samurai Shodown with airdashes and shit, and the Kim Kaphwan dude is gonna be the character that scrubs think is OP and needs nerfs, but everyone else will know that he’s a really bad rush down character who will get nerfed in season 2, then buffed to hell and back in season 3” 

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

I'm wondering why a DNF fighter is even a thing.  The last time I thought about DNF I was in highschool...almost 15 years ago...

Not gonna complain about having more fighting games though!

I guess it's still big in Korea the person on the interview kodani was speaking in Korean I think. 

Looking at the game again gave some sengoku basara vibes, I wish it had different music thou getting sick of synth guitar already. 

3 hours ago, Skort said:

ASW sure love fighting games don't they.

I mean, if a company comes to you wanting to make a fg for them and you have the capacity to do it, then why wouldnt you?

Outside all their current fgs, only GG and BB are their own.

The rest are projects that were outsourced to them, or in the case of UNI, they are only publishing it.

So DFO is called DNF in Asia, when I first saw the trailer yesterday I said of that's DFO, and I didn't understand the name.

It's a good pick, DFO art is top notch, then it's a goddamn browser game once you play it, but the artwork, thumbs up.

Anyway, clearly ArcSys wants all ofy money, let's hope it's rollback

56 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm hopeful of this too, especially if Strive's rollback implementation is really good. I'm also hoping this comes to PC, with Marvelous/XSeed coming nowhere near this game. I'd rather ArcSys self-publish this game on PC.

DFO was published by Nexon IIRC. They could take publishing reigns and they are far worse than Xseed. 

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

People hate on Nexon but they definitely know how to globally develop, launch, and publish a game. They're way bigger and have a ton of experience and money.

Yeah, but they also are quick to pull the plug on projects if they dont meet their expectations.

Plus they have also fucked up a lot of wester releases in the past, forcing the games to be either sold to other publishers, or just abando them on this side of the oceans and keep it only on korea and other places of asia.

5 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm hopeful of this too, especially if Strive's rollback implementation is really good. I'm also hoping this comes to PC, with Marvelous/XSeed coming nowhere near this game. I'd rather ArcSys self-publish this game on PC.

ASW is just a sub contractor, they dont own the rights of the game, so even if they wanted to, they wouldnt be able to publish anything without Nexon/Neople since they are the owners of the Ip.

15 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but they also are quick to pull the plug on projects if they dont meet their expectations.

Plus they have also fucked up a lot of wester releases in the past, forcing the games to be either sold to other publishers, or just abando them on this side of the oceans and keep it only on korea and other places of asia.

With the way NA treats everything that isn't MK/SF we get what we deserve.  🙃

Everybody wants all the fighting games to arrive here but will play SFV in the end anyway.

Just now, misterBee said:

With the way NA treats everything that isn't MK/SF we get what we deserve.  🙃

Everybody wants all the fighting games to arrive here but will play SFV in the end anyway.

The good thing is that with anime and manga becoming more popular now, there are better chances that those games get more recognition.

Plus, this is only an hypothesis of mine, but i feel that the fgc gravitated towards certain games more because the old guard who were the organizers of the events favored those more than the newer games.

Now that the scene is more desentralized you see more games being played at both off and online events.

Spookie with his weeklie tournaments for SFV, GBFVS, DBFZ.

London East with their Samsho tournaments, etc, etc.

Not to mention more external people from the fgc organizing tournaments, like Playstation with their competitive monthlies shining light into other games, like BBTAG, SC6 and UNIClr.

And companies forming their own competition circuits to promote their games (although covid threw a wrench to that this year, so we saw some games like Samsho and GBFVS being hit because of that.)

Then we have games like Tekken and DBFZ outselling SFV in a more shorter lifespan than what SFV has been on the market.

We can see that there has been a shift in the mentality.

Then we have the fact that with many players going esports, they are more willing to dab into other games if there is money to be made, and in the same fashion abandon games series  that were fgc darlings for over a decade like how MvCI just fizzled out.

Right now i think is the best chance many games have to cement themselves as alternatives, since both capcom dropped the ball, and more people are open to play other games.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The good thing is that with anime and manga becoming more popular now, there are better chances that those games get more recognition.

Plus, this is only an hypothesis of mine, but i feel that the fgc gravitated towards certain games more because the old guard who were the organizers of the events favored those more than the newer games.

Now that the scene is more desentralized you see more games being played at both off and online events.

Spookie with his weeklie tournaments for SFV, GBFVS, DBFZ.

London East with their Samsho tournaments, etc, etc.

Not to mention more external people from the fgc organizing tournaments, like Playstation with their competitive monthlies shining light into other games, like BBTAG, SC6 and UNIClr.

And companies forming their own competition circuits to promote their games (although covid threw a wrench to that this year, so we saw some games like Samsho and GBFVS being hit because of that.)

Then we have games like Tekken and DBFZ outselling SFV in a more shorter lifespan than what SFV has been on the market.

We can see that there has been a shift in the mentality.

Then we have the fact that with many players going esports, they are more willing to dab into other games if there is money to be made, and in the same fashion abandon games series  that were fgc darlings for over a decade like how MvCI just fizzled out.

Right now i think is the best chance many games have to cement themselves as alternatives, since both capcom dropped the ball, and more people are open to play other games.

I hope you are right but I am pessimistic.

Capcom couldn't have fucked up more with SFV if they tried and yet it's still no. 1 in terms of the competitive scene.  Nostalgia and momentum are simply too strong.

14 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I hope you are right but I am pessimistic.

Capcom couldn't have fucked up more with SFV if they tried and yet it's still no. 1 in terms of the competitive scene.  Nostalgia and momentum are simply too strong.

The major reason why is "number 1" is because capcom despite all its faults with their games in recent years, has aggressively supported their games with the CPT.

They know that the people will move if there is money in the line.

And the old guard also favored the game giving it the spotlight by default.

It is a self preserving feedback, people see it on the spotlight, and if they are into the competitive side more than playing what they like, then they will be more willing to play the game even if they dont like it much.

(We can still see some form of it by how some people still have a disdain for the idea to actually searching for people play games that they like by mocking them with the discord game moniker)

But now there are stronger competitors.

We already see SFV being outplaced both in sales and in many competitive events by Tekken and DBFZ for example.

And while SFV is not necesarily a failure, it hurted the brand with how terrible it launched.

I know a lot of people who are casual fans that wrote off the series after how bad the game was at launch.

My scene dropped SFV after like a year, since people moved into other fgs, we have not organized a tournament for it in years, lol.

And lastly, there is a reason why companies are approaching ASW for their games now.

Maybe they dont see it as a possibility to be a big name in the fgc, but they see that there is value in approaching them to make their fgs a reality.

And to me that says something.

Edit

I have friends that after playing DBFZ have become more willing to try other fgs (and many of them were not fg players at all outside playing maybe MK very casually)

Hell, some have never heard about DFO, but as they saw ASW logo they said they wanted to throw their money lol.

Also, keep in mind that they still refuse to touch SFV despite it was given as a psn+ game.

So there seems to be an interesting shift into the newcomers mindset.

Of course this is anecdotycal, but we have more new players in my scene that are more interested on playing NRS, Namco and ASW games than playing Capcom games.

Edited by Hecatom
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting to feel that ArcSys only do these crossover fighting games so they build up a solid portfolio of collaborations, become a more popular name in the industry, and inherently shine a brighter spotlight on their original IPs (BlazBlue and Guilty Gear) to help them sell more copies just by virtue of being better known among general gaming crowd. FighterZ was already a massive push  in that regard and I see the mentions of ArcSys more in more in recent years

27 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Starting to feel that ArcSys only do these crossover fighting games so they build up a solid portfolio of collaborations, become a more popular name in the industry, and inherently shine a brighter spotlight on their original IPs (BlazBlue and Guilty Gear) to help them sell more copies just by virtue of being better known among general gaming crowd. FighterZ was already a massive push  in that regard and I see the mentions of ArcSys more in more in recent years

I'm quite sure it's the opposite, people go to ArcSys because they guarantee a quality product that has recognition from the original crowd of the genere.

Look at how Cygames went to ArcSys for the fighting game and to Platinum for the Action combat game.

These company have the IP strength so they just pick their best option for gameplay. Who are you gonna go for a fighting game in today's day and age? Capcom?

16 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

The opposite.

Other companies come to them asking for their magic for their own fighting game projects.

It has been that way since the very begining, back on the sprite days.

ASW does their own games, and other companies like what they see, so they contract them so they can do something similar.

After GGXrd, Namco contacted them for DBFZ (Bandai Namco and ASW already had a work relationship for the DS DB games)

And after DBFZ, more companies took notice of their work.

This is not the same as, for example, MVC3 and MVCI, where it was capcom the one that approached Disney/Marvel to get the license for the ips to use them on the games.

Or ASW going around pitching for ideas to the IP holders.

But you are right in that they obviously take those jobs in order to increease name recognition, besides the obvious monetary reasons, lol.

After all, if your name is attached to a project related to a popular IP, then is more likely that your own projects will get a boost.

I think that another thing that helped was that they worked previously on Persona 4 Arena, maybe doesnt seem like much, but it was their 1st game to implement mechanics to ease the barrier entry for the non fg fanbase of the ip.

That sure also helped Bandai Namco to consider them for the project.

It also helps that right now they dont really have much competition when it comes to developing 2D fgs for others.

SNK never really made fgs that were not of their own.

Capcom has been focusing on their own projects after they came back to doing fgs, plus outside SFIV, each game has been selling less than the previous one.

The same with NRS, which only focus on both MK INJ so far (if they ever develope anything different, it will probably be something owned by WB)

Of the most active JP devs right now.

French Bread is still considered an Indie developer, with only one game series on their belt that is not one of their own, Dangeki.

A series that probably was done due them already having a working contract with Sega.

Examu, as much as i love them, has always focused more on very niche fgs when it comes to games developed for others, and they have a more low budget feel to it.

Plus they dont have the experience with doing a game using 3d assets.

Then add that from the last thing we heard about them, they are basically defunct outside the team developing the new AH.

Which fucking sucks, imo.

All their games have been very good imo, specially their last offering, Arthur Arcana, the game they made for Square.

Right now, like with Platinum with action games, or Koei Tecmo when it comes to Musou games, it seems you only have an option when it comes to 2d fgs, and is ASW, it helps that they put quality on their projects (Unless you count HnK and SBX, which were rushed as fuck both by ASW, Sega (HNK) and Capcom (SBX) and ended being kusoge, lol)

Edited by Hecatom
On 1/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, Flighflighflugit said:

I know it's never gonna happen, but it would be cool if this is a 6 button game along with proximity normals 😅

Capcom has a ridiculous copyright over 6 button layouts for fighting games in japan.

Plus, tbh, outside SF and KI, no game really needs more than 5, those games have a pass because historically they had always had 6 buttons, and hell will set loose if they changed that, lol.

As for proximity normals, eh, who knows, some ASW games do have proximity normals, GG, HNK, GBFVS that i am sure of, and with BF and SBX not really sure.

Other games remove the proximity normals because they add more input normals so they even out that, like BB for example.

All will depend on what they are aiming for with the design.

From the interview they said this game is like an SNK game, specifically Samsho and Kof  (games with proximity normals) but with air dashes and an ASW flair.

I imagine that maybe it could end having if they are aiming to do something in like to samsho.

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

They might as well get the questions about the netcode out of the way.

Either strive netcode or they can basically fuck off with it.

It's still super early so there's plenty of time to add it if they haven't already.  The way KOF rushed to add it seems to imply that JP devs take rollback seriously now.

I wouldn’t say it’s 100% guaranteed that it will have rollback. Sure it’s a more recent game and ArcSys is behind it, but the decision of whether it will have rollback or not will probably not fall to ArcSys but the publisher of DNF Duel. Like Dragon Ball Fighterz and Granblue Fantasy Versus, the reason they still have no rollback is because Bandai Namco and Cygames don’t want it. 

I hope I’m wrong and there is a rollback confirmation, but I will keep a cautious mind for now.

10 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I think it's pretty much a given they'll be using Strive's netcode.

Nah, I'm not assuming anything.

At this point every ArcSys release should start with "has the same netcode as strive" or get ignored. IDGAF about any of the mechanics if it isn't something I'll be able to play.

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

At this point every ArcSys release should start with "has the same netcode as strive" or get ignored.

In an interview, ArcSys did state that rollback will be default in their future games.

https://comunidadarcsystemworks.tumblr.com/post/655805947239907328/exclusive-interview-with-arc-system-works-2021

DNF Duel is not out the woods yet since it’s owned by another company.

6 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I wouldn’t say it’s 100% guaranteed that it will have rollback. Sure it’s a more recent game and ArcSys is behind it, but the decision of whether it will have rollback or not will probably not fall to ArcSys but the publisher of DNF Duel. Like Dragon Ball Fighterz and Granblue Fantasy Versus, the reason they still have no rollback is because Bandai Namco and Cygames don’t want it. 

I hope I’m wrong and there is a rollback confirmation, but I will keep a cautious mind for now.

The landscape has changed since DBFZ and GBVS though.  Rollback is a must or the game is DOA and the developers know this now.  

I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't have it.  

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I know ArcSys is involved but isn't Eighting doing all the heavy lifting from a dev standpoint? Side note: Glad to see that Eighting is still around. 

Eighting is definitely doing the heavylifting. Arc themselves got their hands on too many other games to be deeply involved with this one. They likely going to handle the publishing side and provide tools for Eighting. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

rc themselves got their hands on too many other games to be deeply involved with this one

Do they though? 

As far as we know, FighterZ support has ended (maybe just one more patch left) . Granblue support is ending with Vira's DLC next month. Strive currently has two more DLC characters in the pipeline plus future patches.

BlazBlue is dead. Cross tag is dead. And besides that nothing is seemingly going on inside the studio 

Anyways striker has a cool trailer. It seems like dnf does have some air combo element to it since she does three jabs before a cancel into a special, which is good news. I was worried it'd be a carbon copy of the beatemup with next to no jumping or movement above ground 

40 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

As far as we know, FighterZ support has ended (maybe just one more patch left) . Granblue support is ending with Vira's DLC next month. Strive currently has two more DLC characters in the pipeline plus future patches.

BlazBlue is dead. Cross tag is dead. And besides that nothing is seemingly going on inside the studio 

We don't know when development of this game started. All of those games you mention would have been in development and still supported when work started on this one. Blazblue team should be free now so they can probably lend a hand