Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

8 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Well, five  years of already looking at SFV and all- anyone could probably use a break.

Strive itself runs the risk of getting stale.  Not that it didn't launch in a great state, but it's a fairly small cast, with a pretty defined S tier (May, Sol, maaaaybe Zato if anyone is schizophrenic enough to master playing him), only a single version of each character, and an engine that only wants you to rushdown even though the characters do have a variety of tools.

It's a great game, but the dev team is going to have to put in work to keep it popping.

Acerola_what.png

Not even going to dive deep on Zato being a top tier, something that I've literally never even heard about in this game.

But are you really saying that seriously? On a game that just released, with a cast that plays very differently from each other and that allows for multiple styles per character?

This was literally posted today in the GG thread:

Not to mention we already know that 5 characters are on the way.

Like, you wanna talk shit about Strive? There are stuff to roast, like the distressingly long communication time between games and servers that make the game take 5 whole minutes to boot and lobbies still being non-functional in the PC version.

This take of yours ain't a hill to die on tho. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Yeah ASW always get stale with their defined S Tiers that are represented 6/8 times in each Top 8.

Oh wait.

I'm only talking about Strive as it stands in this moment, didn't say anything about ASW.

But DBFZ isn't exactly a cornucopia of varied playstyles, so it's not like it's impossible for ASW to drop the ball.

Because only DBFZ and Strive are ASW Games.

Elphelt and Johnny have been Top Tier since they became aviable in Xrd and you still had every single character in the cast represented a lot.

You have CF with a clear Top 2 of Izanami and Es and you still see the entire Cast in a 7 year old game with Terumi being playable.

Heck FAB was a Monster in Xrd, with Garbage Tier Potemkin.

Whats next ASW Games are all just Rushdown with no Neutral?

Every Character is figured out and plays the same.

The Cast is to small, with a Cast where every character is completly unique you have barely any overlapps in playstyles and you can play every character in a lot of different ways.

I am tired of seeing the wrong statements beeing made again and again about every single ASW game.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

This take of yours ain't a hill to die on tho. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying it's bad, and I never said it isn't going to get better.  It's clearly better than SFV was at launch by a hundred nautical miles.

6 minutes ago, Volt said:

Not even going to dive deep on Zato being a top tier, something that I've literally never even heard about in this game.

It isn't my take, so I can't really defend it.  Just some Twitter scuttlebut from some good players who maybe just got hit by shit they haven't figured out yet.  Zato is still a total mystery to me personally so I didn't want to rule it out.

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Its week 2. No way we have a defined S tier yet.

Sol is obviously playing his own game and Daisuke straight up said "Yeah, Sol's strong. I asked for it. Hold that."

But, I don't really see an S-tier forming in this game. 

Sol, May and Ram are the strongest rn. No order. But they're definitely looking like solid top tiers rn.

If that will remain the case, we don't really know yet.

6 minutes ago, Volt said:

You're absolutely right for people using the term S tier correctly.  I was lazy and was using the "top tier in the current game" defintion.

But yeah, there is no ST Akuma here.

Edited by Reticently
7 minutes ago, Volt said:

There's gonna be a point in this game's life where there is one super broken ass mega character, I'm pretty confident. 

But it'll be in February of 2023 when the player base has dipped and they drop Omega May who has like tig ol biddies and the dolphins have machine guns on them or something. 

Theny they'll nerf the living shit out of her in April and she'll just be top 3.  

It'll bring a bunch of people back tho

Edited by KingTubb
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Well, five  years of already looking at SFV and all- anyone could probably use a break.

Strive itself runs the risk of getting stale.  Not that it didn't launch in a great state, but it's a fairly small cast, with a pretty defined S tier (May, Sol, maaaaybe Zato if anyone is schizophrenic enough to master playing him), only a single version of each character, and an engine that only wants you to rushdown even though the characters do have a variety of tools.

It's a great game, but the dev team is going to have to put in work to keep it popping.

Honestly, people have such short attention spans these days. On the one hand they bitch about characters being added as DLC on the other, they drop a game after a few months because there is nothing new. 😑

Edit: Sometimes I wish we were all in a suburb, wouldn't even have to worry about netcode then. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, people have such short attention spans these days. On the one hand they bitch about characters being added as DLC on the other, they drop a game after a few months because there is nothing new. 😑

I don't see how any of this is a response to "runs the risk of getting stale", but seeing how *I"m* the one apparently speaking moon-gibberish here I'll just refrain from commenting on Strive anymore.

15 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I don't see how any of this is a response to "runs the risk of getting stale", but seeing how *I"m* the one apparently speaking moon-gibberish here I'll just refrain from commenting on Strive anymore.

Wasn't really Strive centered, just FGC centered in general. Shouldn't have quoted you. My bad man. 

26 minutes ago, Reticently said:

but seeing how *I"m* the one apparently speaking moon-gibberish here I'll just refrain from commenting on Strive anymore.

You didn't say anything crazy, homie. 

There's such a small percentage of people that will stick around and keep playing it unless they get something new to keep it fresh. So they gotta support it with something to keep the active player healthy and stable. 

Most of the time, a new character is enough to bring people back to a game, peak the interest of a new player, or keep the player that never left around. Less often, you throw in a new system mechanic or overhaul. 

Just look at any MOBA. Those things have like 100+ characters to keep players interested. 

I'm just hoping that strive doesn't go crazy with system mechanics... And I'm kinda using DBFZ as a measuring stick for this, cause they haven't done a ton of system additions or changes since launch iirc... Selectable assists was added later, right?

I'm just not a fan of a bunch of system mechanics and stuff that you have to select on a character select screen, so I really hope that strive can stay "fresh" without adding a bunch of new mechanics or options like SFV did, cause imho that just makes a game bloated. 

21 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's sarcasm right. Hard to tell in text.

No?

People were too busy talking about how the rest of the game was dogshit, but everyone kinda agreed that 16 was a good start point except the lunatics that expected KoF-sized rosters from the jump + 6 Char DLC passes.

15-16 is pretty much the ideal starting roster size for a DLC Season-based system.

Matter of fact, SF4 also started with 16 + 3 unlockables and no DLC. 

And I'll guarantee people were cool with that.

855977064972156929.png?v=1

Initial roster size of 10 billion people is stupid. Matter of fact, final roster size of 10 billion people in a non-team game is stupid too. So far everybody in Strive feels really good to play as or play against.

I think Strive is going to have legs for a lot longer than people will wanna claim it will. Game is fun, its fast, rewards you well for a little bit of training mode, looks amazing and the netcode is pretty great.  The lobbies and other issues it was having seems to have been partially fixed, so even that is improving quickly.

I don't really see the short attention span thing in the FGC. A lot of people stick to the genre they like the most and call it a day. You don't see a lot of Tekken players and/or NRS players really double dipping into other games all that often. People just like bitching at SF players about it because they were easy to find in SRK.

Either way, Strive is fun as all fuck.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I saw plenty people bitching about going from 44 Characters in SFIV to 16 in SFV. It was one many complains. No lobbies and virtually zero single player content were other bigger complaints.

4 minutes ago, Volt said:

except the lunatics that expected KoF-sized rosters from the jump + 6 Char DLC passes.

Every time people told these morons that SF4 started with 16+3 unlockables they looked like lost puppies.

Now let's run a quick number crunch, because it's somewhat reasonable to assume that Strive will be supported for at least 4-5 seasons like pretty much any FG in the Shill Pass era.

15 + 4/5 Seasons with 5 characters each = 35/40 characters by the game's end.  Xrd ended with 25.

People bitching about roster size are bitching because the character they wanted didn't get in, or because they're jealous their game of choice don't have as good of a netcode/presentation.

Matter of fact, if you dig up a bit, you'll see most of these clowns came from SFV. Yeah, shots fired. Y'all know it's true.

Scarface_Shooting.gif

6 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Also games with massive roster are ass.

nobody is going to really learn 44 match ups in depth. Its cool, but that whole thing is nonsense. You get 16 to 18 characters with really good gameplay and you'll be doing that same dance for literal decades.

Companies gotta stop that nonsense.

The progression is fine.

Sure, sucks if you pull up and have to learn it all from the jump later on, but them's the breaks.

Start with 15-16, and every once in a while, you get a new one.

Mission mode helps with giving pointers against all characters, in-game, no need to hop on Twitter, random Discords or whatever.

Honestly, the biggest issue with Strive is that ArcSys were dumb by making everyone need to hop in servers when booting the game and the servers are melting from having so much people in it.

South America towers are packed pretty much all the time. Not parks. Towers. People out there on that grind. 😤

Edited by Volt
1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I absolutely hate large rosters and I hope Strive doesn’t go down that route. It’s especially unnecessary since GG characters are so different from each other. 

Imo the sweet spot is 20-25 very unique characters. When you get above 30 matchup knowledge starts getting out of control.

For better or worse, brace yourself for 35 characters in 4 years. 🤷‍♂️

Strive is going to last because of the netcode. Game is also really fun so it is very likely to keep a lot of people entertained.

The low to mid level of the game is really fun. So if you were stuck in gold in SF5, this game gives you more to do that feels fun and is good to do than SF5.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

No?

People were too busy talking about how the rest of the game was dogshit, but everyone kinda agreed that 16 was a good start point except the lunatics that expected KoF-sized rosters from the jump + 6 Char DLC passes.

15-16 is pretty much the ideal starting roster size for a DLC Season-based system.

Matter of fact, SF4 also started with 16 + 3 unlockables and no DLC. 

And I'll guarantee people were cool with that.

855977064972156929.png?v=1

19-21 characters are best! Wee woo!

5 hours ago, Reticently said:

Oh god I am not ready for this so soon. I'm already so overwhelmed with all the tech and optimizations and all flying around I cannot keep up. 

I know there's a zillion youngbloods out there with little else to do but lab and ranked a game, but shit just moves so fast for this old man. 

I can't even complete the 1-player mode on Extreme. 

New KOF fighter tomorrow and it’s probably a woman.

Will they finally close out the Women Fighters team? Will they just introduce another team? When will K’ be officially revealed? All these questions (except the last one) may be answered tomorrow.

Spoiler

My guess it will be Vanessa adding on to the Agent team with Blue Mary.

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

New KOF fighter tomorrow and it’s probably a woman.

Will they finally close out the Women Fighters team? Will they just introduce another team? When will K’ be officially revealed? All these questions (except the last one) may be answered tomorrow.

Reveal hidden contents

My guess it will be Vanessa adding on to the Agent team with Blue Mary.

All I see is all I need to see.

That tiddy big.

772467413974515762.png?v=1

19 hours ago, KingTubb said:

There's gonna be a point in this game's life where there is one super broken ass mega character, I'm pretty confident. 

But it'll be in February of 2023 when the player base has dipped and they drop Omega May who has like tig ol biddies and the dolphins have machine guns on them or something. 

Theny they'll nerf the living shit out of her in April and she'll just be top 3.  

It'll bring a bunch of people back tho

You jest but from what I remember this was Xrd Johnny. EOL for that game and he is still a god-beast. But ASW balance is always relative anyways. TBH I'm actually surprised Strive is feeling as relatively balanced as it is at launch.

As for Strive's longevity I think the netcode is going to help a lot with sustainability. Both in terms of players staying with the game - much easier to stick with a game you can actually play online - and in terms of competition fueling interest. Strive can run online tournaments that other games would buckle trying to manage, which is of course great right now but honestly will still be pretty cool when in-person events become a thing.

You can do all kinds of shit. Weekly EC vs. WC rivalry competitions. "Best in NA" monthlies. Cross Atlantic Battle Circuits. Whatever. In addition to the normal excitement and interest that come out of the big events (something that carried SFV for a long time, and rightly so as the players really elevated that game) it is way more possible to have a lot more kinds of events that would not have been logistically reasonable. More competition = more engagement = more excitement = more competition = ....

Maybe that isn't something people lean into, but its a really exciting possibility. And honestly not unique to Strive so theoretically any of the games coming out in the near future with rollback can have that kind of flexibility.