Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It does take away your meter permanently though, and it carries into the next rounds, which was always something that balanced out the system decently in my opinion.

If you totally outplayed someone they'll lose the first round and be forced to use Issen before losing the second, and if they actually land it then they might win that round but then they'll just end up in the third round without meter available anymore against someone who has been beating them and who still has meter.

It does, but Issen being turned into a comeback mechanic given how fast it comes out and SSM doing the damage it does means they have two opportunities to win despite being outplayed. Before, Issen was very powerful but slow, so if you tried to raw dog it, you'd probably get rekt, and the power of state of nothingness/time slow in 5Sp was balanced out by the fact that if they even just tapped you, you'd lose all the meditation you'd built up.

Here, the match comes to a screeching halt because if you move a muscle that isn't back, you're going to eat a potentially 70% attack. Outside of how they chose to implement the frame data, the way they remade Issen is the game's biggest flaw in my opinion. I know why they did it, but it takes something that was powerful but also required a lot of setup and planning, and turns it into something you can just let rip if they do anything but hold down back. 

Holy shit those replies.

Normal person: "The two dudes who are gonna go 0-2 are the reason majors even exist"

Smasher: "The issue isn't that they are at the events. The issue is that the pot fillers are simply taking spots from people who matter more."

I appreciate how sometimes Smashers seem to have a very low opinion of themselves as the FGC has of them.

I guess that's agreeing on something.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Damn, I can’t even blame this on dumb smashers anymore.

At least everyone is pounding on this man in the replies.

I can't tell what is happening. 

Mars is a ZSS main formerly a top 10 player in the world. Mkleo is the current top 1 in the world.  Yeah they probably train or stream til 3am so don't wake until noon. And miss early reg cause of it. 

I guess top players are annoyed that registration considers neither their station nor they're late shift schedule?  And the rank n file give no shits? 

We won't see randos on stream either way. And doesn't the sponsor arrange attendance and travel anyway? 

EDIT but the balance of power being flipped is interesting. Instead of TOs chasing top players to raise the event's prestige, it's top players chasing the event.

Edited by Pair of Rooks

I dunno man, if I'm streaming until 3am and I know I have to register for a tournament in a couple of hours I use the handy invention that is an alarm clock, make my registration, and go back to bed. Or I just don't stream at all the night beforehand and get up fresh and early. I mean what is the go-to response to missing an appointment here? Complaining about twitter that every other person on the planet doesn't adapt to their schedule? I think the only fix for that is marrying into royalty.

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

The problem is that MKLeo missed registration because he slept through it and some players are angry since they believe a top player like him so get in regardless and randos/people that go 0-2 shouldn’t. This invites other people coming in saying that because entry was open to anyone, it should go to someone who cared enough to wake up and register when it was available. 

I am with the latter group because everyone should get a chance to play regardless if they aren’t a world champion or anything. It could be possible that someone named RandomMike69 could be a hidden gem or he could drown in pools. Why deny him the chance to show what he’s got because the best player in the world didn’t bother to wake himself up in time to enter? 

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Mars is a ZSS main formerly a top 10 player in the world. Mkleo is the current top 1 in the world.  Yeah they probably train or stream til 3am so don't wake until noon. And miss early reg cause of it. 

I guess top players are annoyed that registration considers neither their station nor they're late shift schedule?  And the rank n file give no shits? 

We won't see randos on stream either way. And doesn't the sponsor arrange attendance and travel anyway? 

EDIT but the balance of power being flipped is interesting. Instead of TOs chasing top players to raise the event's prestige, it's top players chasing the event.

Japanese and Korean players come over jet lagged as fuck and still make registration. 

Even pro athletes who party hard will calm it down leading up to a game/fight. 

So it's really hard to have sympathy for someone who can't even wake up in time to register for something they claim to be serious enough about to be sponsored. That's a slap in the face of the people who are putting up the money for you. 

10 hours ago, BornWinner said:

The problem is that MKLeo missed registration because he slept through it and some players are angry since they believe a top player like him so get in regardless and randos/people that go 0-2 shouldn’t. This invites other people coming in saying that because entry was open to anyone, it should go to someone who cared enough to wake up and register when it was available. 

It's something much simpler than that, which of course these kids wouldn't understand.

MKLeo is a sponsored player. CEO is a major tournament. It's quite literally his job to go out there and get his sponsor's brand known by doing well at tournaments like these.

However, this fool woke up at over 1pm and lost registration.

Call your boss at 1pm saying you missed work because you overslept and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's something much simpler than that, which of course these kids wouldn't understand.

MKLeo is a sponsored player. CEO is a major tournament. It's quite literally his job to go out there and get his sponsor's brand known by doing well at tournaments like these.

However, this fool woke up at over 1pm and lost registration.

Call your boss at 1pm saying you missed work because you overslept and see what happens. 

But, but...

He's a person who matters more!

4 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's quite literally his job to go out there and get his sponsor's brand known by doing well at tournaments like these.

All things considered,

If he has somewhere to be, his ORG should be getting that shit set up for him. Why did they phone up for registration and all that?

Considering what took place with SNK when Terry Bogard became a thing in Smash, I find it disturbingly ironic that a Nintendo executives can summarize Tekken better than how *a lot* of top players or content creators do. Or, even Tekken 7 itself does. 

They even have Kazuya's various command grabs in Tekken. 

Edited by GreatDarkHero

Fucked around and bought Yakuza 0 again for the PC. 

Invested so much time on the game. But, now every time I do a playthrough on that game, I don't have to worry about fucking PS4 captures stopping for "spoilers." 

The final bosses (Lao Gui and Shibusawa) were just few of the many best parts of the damn game! 

So on my SFV uploads, I'll do some climax battles or long-fights as interludes from Y0 to keep the asswhoopin's goin'. 

Because, that's what most people like to see: Folks kicking ass and folks gettin' they ass beat. 

Spoiler

... and waifus and competitive stuff.

Edited by GreatDarkHero

I think I'm going to stop rematching Bison and Rog players. There's absolutely nothing to learn here, I know they're plus or safe on everything, I know I'm negative or unsafe on everything so it's basically just a game of trying to make a read with a neutral jump and if that scenario never pans out there's literally nothing Rose can do. Bison's V-Skill duo might also be the most obnoxious in the game against fireball characters. Countering fireballs with a V-Gauge building two-button move. By that logic Dhalsim should build V-Gauge by hitting Gief with a normal.

3 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Rog lives and dies by his light dash punch.  You don't really need to resort to neutral jumping all the time.  Figure out a good -4 punish in training mode.  Some characters like Sakura have it easier than others but I'm sure Rose has something.  

Target combo should work. But Balrog can punish so many buttons from Rose that it's just exhausting. You have to think five moves ahead for every button you throw out whereas he can just react to fireballs and punish normals with the same input all the time. 

I dunno, I'm not a competitive player, I boot this game up for fun when coming home from work. That matchup is way too lopsided to result in a good time.

Also, I might be more triggered than usual because I ran into two Bisons and four Rogs in a row.

Edited by delete_me

I tried the first Injustice yesterday (it's free on Xbox) and good lord, that game is an eyesore. The colour palette is 50 shades of grey and brown, the animations are as you'd expect from Netherrealm, character designs look like bootleg versions of the Snyderverse stuff, the faces are horrific (Raven looks like Jackie Earle Haley) and to be honest I don't even think it plays particularly well with the super low walkspeeds and the half-screen dashes.  Hard to believe this was such a big deal when it came out. I know a lot of games from that generation aged rather poorly but compare this to MvC3 and it's night and day.

I liked looking at Wonder Woman's butt but that's about the only positive thing I could take from it.

On 6/30/2021 at 4:53 AM, delete_me said:

I tried the first Injustice yesterday (it's free on Xbox) and good lord, that game is an eyesore. The colour palette is 50 shades of grey and brown, the animations are as you'd expect from Netherrealm, character designs look like bootleg versions of the Snyderverse stuff, the faces are horrific (Raven looks like Jackie Earle Haley) and to be honest I don't even think it plays particularly well with the super low walkspeeds and the half-screen dashes.  Hard to believe this was such a big deal when it came out. I know a lot of games from that generation aged rather poorly but compare this to MvC3 and it's night and day.

I liked looking at Wonder Woman's butt but that's about the only positive thing I could take from it.

Injustice 1 is kind of boring and ugly to look at, but if you like NRS, 2 is much better in every regard. 

I'm not too fond of their gameplay systems but I've always wanted to pick it up because it looks so nice. And also has Poison Ivy as a character, who's is the second best DC female after Zatanna. I suppose you can get some kind of complete edition for cheap nowadays, I'll have to look into that.

Edited by delete_me
2 hours ago, delete_me said:

I'm not too fond of their gameplay systems but I've always wanted to pick it up because it looks so nice. And also has Poison Ivy as a character, who's is the second best DC female after Zatanna. I suppose you can get some kind of complete edition for cheap nowadays, I'll have to look into that.

I think they're fun in part because they're different than most games. But I had a really good time with 2, the roster is great, the stages and fights feel fun, and it looks great.