Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

Gotta say for all the talk about SFV's netcode I have zero issues with it. Central Europe and searching for 5 bars only gives me a solid connection 95% of the time. Out of all the fighting games I played this generation only MvCI ran better online. Tekken is so-so, as is DOA. SCVI is a travesty online. SamSho was horrible. Haven't tried MK or arcSystem's games because I don't particularly enjoy them.

But I suppose the US with larger distances to cover is another matter.

For the most part SFV is okay for me online. My biggest issue is consistency. Generally in other games, I can play someone online or I can't. In SFV, sometimes I can get good games with someone and sometimes I can't. 

39 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

While on the topic of sales, one of the tactics everyone is using lately is cross-over characters, but I feel like GG cares too much about it's canon to let sub zero or blanka or whoever to show up.

Good.

Gonna agree with the homie @Darc_Requiemwhen it comes to crossovers for GG. GG already got a ton of cool characters to fill out Shill Passes with, ArcSys doesn't need to add random weirdos from other franchises that won't fit as well in GG just to bring up casuals.

SCVI wound up with some ridiculous shit that doesn't fit the game even aesthetically like 2B, Tekken got Noctis and the games wound up worse for it.

2 minutes ago, Reticently said:

GG has a character crossing over to SamSho at some point in the nearish future, so I wouldn't count on them being COMPLETELY immune to the temptation.

inb4 it's Baiken and she gets revealed for Strive too to pull up all the SamSho players that play her.

If Mori and Daisuke hold their word, the next Crossover GG will be in, will be a Crossover game with BB.

Now that both Sols and Ragnas Storys have come to an end, they said once thats done they will have a crossover game.

Lets see if we get a game, or if Mori just puts a bunch of GG Characters into his god forsaken Gacha game.

THAT YOU CANNOT EVEN PLAY OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!!!!

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

While on the topic of sales, one of the tactics everyone is using lately is cross-over characters, but I feel like GG cares too much about it's canon to let sub zero or blanka or whoever to show up.

IIRC, every survey after one of the betas had a question about guest characters. Sounds like they could be receptive to the idea. I hope they will focus on making more new characters or returning old characters than getting guests.

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It's wild what kind of excuses people will make for things they bitch about in other games that are in their games. If SFV or Tekken had the same netcode as SamSho I would put money on people still playing it because it's SF/Tekken. I realize most franchises can't get away with that, but people go full on hypocrite mode complaining about netcode in other games when the games they play also have trash netcode. 

If I already bought one game with bad netcode, why would I buy another? The other issue is: if this one game with a questionable netcode has been around for a while, why would your new product not concentrate on fixing that?

I loved the new SamSho. But 60 dollars on a game I can only play online when the netcode is terrible? Pass. Already have games with bad netcode, no need to add more to that collection. 

Nobody is making excuses for either SF5 or T7. That's why people aren't willing to buy stuff with worse netcode than those two.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

For the most part SFV is okay for me online. My biggest issue is consistency. Generally in other games, I can play someone online or I can't. In SFV, sometimes I can get good games with someone and sometimes I can't. 

This was my same issue as well.

Akhos and I played a bunch and it was a coin flip as to if the matches would be solid or not. Not a distance issue really either, I'm in MD and so far as I ever figured he was in NY.

Matt and I used to play a bunch and the connections actually steadily just got worse over the games lifespan. It was weird to see. The last couple of times we played it was a teleport festival. Looked like Sagat borrowed Soul Illusion.

My sincere hope is that they get it right with SF6. For all of its woes SFV's online isn't so far off the mark that they need to start from scratch or anything. I think it was just never in the cards for them to really refine it post-launch (for as long as this game has been supported I feel like it's budget consists of whatever money the Monster Hunter team drops in the office lobby) so they had basically one chance to get it right. 

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

If SFV or Tekken had the same netcode as SamSho I would put money on people still playing it because it's SF/Tekken.

SFV's netcode is abysmal, everyone knows it, and they walk in knowing exactly what they're getting into. Only the most delusional stans act like SFV's netcode is fine.

The brand still got it.

ArcSys is slowly but surely building up it's own image. Back in the BBCS-era, having ArcSys being a household name for the FGC was unthinkable.

For me, when SFV's online is good, it's good. When it's bad, it's really really bad. 

But I'm someone who played SF4/MVC3 for many yrs and dealt with it. I'm battle hardened. 

Capcom definitely improved things we then changed the distance of those you'll be matched with. That was both good and bad for me.

The Good: You are more likely to have solid connections simply because you're being connected to those more close to your area.

The Bad: The pool of players dropped considerably. Brazilian Ken's were a nightmare, but I enjoyed fighting many UK players. I also enjoyed fighting West Coast players as well. The connections weren't always bad, either. 

Now depending on the time of the day, you could rarely be connected to someone on the WC. I remember running into Clegg and Comeback Kid a few times when I played in the morning and afternoon. I think it was because no one was really queued up online those days.

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

If I already bought one game with bad netcode, why would I buy another? The other issue is: if this one game with a questionable netcode has been around for a while, why would your new product not concentrate on fixing that?

I loved the new SamSho. But 60 dollars on a game I can only play online when the netcode is terrible? Pass. Already have games with bad netcode, no need to add more to that collection. 

Nobody is making excuses for either SF5 or T7. That's why people aren't willing to buy stuff with worse netcode than those two.

You kept playing one game with bad netcode  and dropped the other. That's my whole point. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

I never bought the new SamSho.

Taht's the whole point. I'm not gonna invest in a new game with shit ass netcode when I already spent money on the one.

Even further to my point. You'll buy and continue to play a game with shitty netcode because it's SF. SamSho's netcode is good when you have a fast connection, but here we are in 2021 with people going "no rollback no buy" even if the implementation isn't good, when more than half the people who play fighters are playing on wifi and probably many of them with dsl tier connections. 

Edited by DoctaMario
14 hours ago, Reticently said:

You must really have barely touched the game then, because I'm pretty sure you'd be trashing the AI after about an hour of learning the game.

If he's talking about the old school games, SamSho 1-3 have pretty brutal AI. Even i can't win more than a few fights against them most of the time, and even if you set the difficulty to 1, they're still tough and the bosses are no different than they'd ever be. 

15 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I really like the new SamSho. It reminds me of the older games. I never delved into it too deeply, but it wasn't because of the game itself.

I always got destroyed in SamSho. By other people and the AI.

It's different than pretty much every other fighting game out there. If you try to play it like other games, you'll get rekt and that's usually where people go wrong with SamSho. 

22 minutes ago, Reticently said:

That's a good point.  I kind of assumed the new game, but classic SNK AI was infamous.

It's fucking awful. Tbh that's one of the things that kept me from buying the most recent collection because I enjoy playing through IV and V Special single player, but the earlier games have such rough AI that I don't bother, especially 2 and 3.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It's different than pretty much every other fighting game out there. If you try to play it like other games, you'll get rekt and that's usually where people go wrong with SamSho. 

That's definitely facts.

Quick question: did the 3D SamSho games (Warrior's Rage and 64) ever see competitive play back in the day?

6 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

That's definitely facts.

Quick question: did the 3D SamSho games (Warrior's Rage and 64) ever see competitive play back in the day?

I don't know that they were well received. They may have gotten some in Japan and Korea, but the fact that NeoGeo 64 stuff is hard to emulate makes them somewhat limited in finding a new audience and I have to wonder how widespread they were back when they were new. The only place I ever saw any 3D SamSho machines was at Mikado in Japan. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

@Skort, myself, and many others can easily attest to this. 

To provide another recurring problem is that we sit here waiting for matches and see what *appears* to be  four/five bar connection. Then as soon you accept the match... every now and then you are thrown into the rabbit hole of underwater hell against someone using some McDonald's wifi connection. 

That's the bullshit we keep trying to avoid.

Well, five  years of already looking at SFV and all- anyone could probably use a break.

Strive itself runs the risk of getting stale.  Not that it didn't launch in a great state, but it's a fairly small cast, with a pretty defined S tier (May, Sol, maaaaybe Zato if anyone is schizophrenic enough to master playing him), only a single version of each character, and an engine that only wants you to rushdown even though the characters do have a variety of tools.

It's a great game, but the dev team is going to have to put in work to keep it popping.

Edited by Reticently
9 minutes ago, Reticently said:

It's a great game, but the dev team is going to have to put in work to keep it popping.

They've promised 5 characters by the end of the year iirc, that should be enough to keep things fresh enough all the way through June 2022 I'd reckon. 

I agree that adjustments and system tweaking are going to have to happen to satiate a short attentioned consumer base, but I really, really hope they don't go the route of just piling on system mechanic after system mechanic. 

I didn't pick up SF5 until it was knee deep into it's 3rd year and I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that game has. 

And the RC system seems to have a lot of gas in the tank as far as providing depth to the game, so I'm hoping that they don't have to add a bunch of system mechanics to keep people interested.