Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Feb NPD 2022 is out

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-has-had-a-huge-launch-in-the-us

https://venturebeat.com/2022/03/11/february-2022-npd-elden-ring-is-a-smash-hit/

https://venturebeat.com/2022/03/11/february-2022-npd-hardware-switch-outsells-supply-limited-competition/

So things of note if it isn't obvious by some of the headlines, Elden Ring bodied February.  It succeeded in doing so while releasing on 02/25 so it had 3 days to take over Feb and it did.  Not only was it the best selling game of Feb but it also became the best selling game for the year thus far.  Launch Month sales of Elden Ring were the 2nd highest for any tracked title released in the past 12 months and was only trailing behind CoD: Vanguard.  Horizon Forbidden West was the 2nd best selling game for the month and set a new launch month record for sales on the PS5.

Hardware:  Switch took it's top spot back and was the top selling platform in units and dollar amounts.  The surprising twist this month is that specifically Xbox SeS was ranked 2nd in both units and dollar amounts for the month.  PS5 is still leading in dollar sales year to to date for the year.

Software:

Top 20 for Feb: Elden Ring, HFW, Pokemon Legends Arceus, Dying Light 2, Total War: Warhammer III, CoD: Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, MK8D, FIFA 22, Minecraft (back in the top 10), Miles Morales, Mario Party Superstars, AC: NH, Smash Ult, CoD Blops CW, GTA Trilogy Def Edition (This game was no. 57 last month..looks like news of the patches has gotten people to buy the game), NBA 2K22, Pokemon BD/SP, Far Cry 6, LoZ: BotW

YTD 2022: Elden Ring, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, HFW, CoD: Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, Dying Light 2, MH: Rise, Total War; Warhammer III, Dad of War (2018), Miles Morales, MK8D, FIFA 22, Minecraft, Mario Party Superstars, AC:NH, Pokemon BD/SP, Far Cry 6, NBA 2K22, Smash Ult, Battlefield 2042

Rolling 12 months:  CoD: Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, CoD Blops CW, Pokemon BD/SP, Elden Ring, Battlefield 2042, Far Cry 6,  MK8D, RE: Village, FIFA 22

Top 10 Nintendo: Pokemon Legends: Arceus, MK8D, Mario Party Superstars, AC: New Horizons, Smash Ult, Pokemon BD/SP, LoZ BotW, SM3DW+BF, Just Dance 2022, NSMBUD

Top 10 Playstation: HFW, Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, CoD: Vanguard, Dat Mdden 22, Miles Morales, FiFA 22, GoTsu, CoD Blops CW, NBA 2K22

Top 10 Xbox: Elden Ring, CoD: Vanguard, Dying Light 2, Dat Madden 22, CoD Blops CW, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, FIFA 22, Ass Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6

ah, so Anna (Star Wars Girl) started playing Elden Ring, I see....heh, her first death was caused by just trying to read a message

yeah this might be good for a few minutes at least; if I recall, she has no experience with Souls games at all.

edit---eh, this is a thing I don't really like with twitch streams though... her follower pop-up graphics take up so much screen space...right in the middle too.

There's so much stuff on the way that I'm interested in... 2022 is on fire with the games, actually... I noticed Gunborg is also on Switch, and Wonderlands is out soon, and there's other things that interest me as well that are already out, like the Record of Lodoss War game, and I noticed Shadow Warrior 3 is out already.

Edited by MillionX
On 3/10/2022 at 11:44 AM, Faltimar the Dark said:

I think its funny that you guys get extremely excited for shit like this tmnt collection.  You've all bought those games over the years, shit, you probably even have some on emulators.  But you still get incredibly excited to spend more money on the same old shit.  Suckers.  Y'all part of the reason why game shit is all kinda whacky. 

Grown ass men overreacting like children in the in the Internet, nothing new here.

The TMNT collection was a nice surprise for me because if I remember correctly there has never been a TMNT collection in forever!? I fucking loved those games growing up in the 80's and 90's and I haven't played them ever since. Tournament fighters was the only turtles game I ever owned which I ended up trading it back then for some other game I think it was Chrono trigger. This is also a great opportunity to play some games online with a friend who isn't that much into video games anymore and who rather play something familiar with something he already knows how to use (a PS4).

On 3/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, purbeast said:

You're not wrong.

That is the kind of thing I won't get personally but even if I did, I would probably play each game just to try it out and never go back to it.  But also, if I wanted to play any of those games right now, I could do so very easily.  And you would also realize that a lot of those games you think were good and have nostalgia for, aren't really that good at all.

Sometimes, having too many options like that is bad and makes it so you can't settle on just playing everything because you want to just see what the next one is like.  I had this problem big time when I was a huge pirate and had over 1300 PSX games.  I would never actually "play" a game.  I'd put it in the console, check it out for like 5-10 mins, and then go onto the next one.  I had a never ending supply of "the next one" since I had so many games.

In my opinion this kind of argument almost always comes from someone who never actually played those games when they came out. Sure they are old but bad?! I don't know about that. For example out of all the games tournament fighters was the game I played mostly alone cause I was older and I didn't have anybody to play with. I know there's tournament footage online which I haven't seen or played in any tournaments anyway. So it's going to be interesting going online fresh and see what the community has come up with in all these years. It's like rediscovering old games.

23 hours ago, purbeast said:

I mean, dude could play those Gamecube games right now if he really wanted to.

Problem is the best quality you can play those games in a GameCube is Svideo which I think most recent tvs don't have. Nintendo again cutting corners by not including component video in their console not inline with theirs competitors.

22 hours ago, purbeast said:

IMO, those belt scrollers like X-Men, TMNT, Final Fight, etc, they were all awesome back in the day in arcades.  They were perfect to play for like 5-10 minutes at a time on a couple bucks, playing with random strangers or your friends.   But when you play them at home, as a grown adult, they just aren't the same as they used to be.  

One glaring one to me is The Simpsons.  I LOVED that game as a kid and would play it every chance I got.  I played it a couple months ago, start to finish, on my MAME cab on a CRT so it is basically arcade perfect, and it simply is not a great game lol.  It's cheap as hell and it is just so god damn hard on the later levels.  

Playing beat ups with endless credits it's the same as playing shmup's with endless lives or playing fighting games alone with the CPU.

That's not how you play those games, they whole point was to beat the game with one credit. When I new game came out in arcades yes we spent more money at first but as time went by we started to get the practice, we developed the strategies,we watched other people play and ask for advice then we started to beat the game untill it was ours with only one credit used.

Edited by rukawa_kaede

TMNT video game offerings have been meager at best. 

In a dessert, a drop of water is a bar of gold.

I strongly think this and the new beat em up game will be more profitable than anyone thinks. 

People who know anything about emulation are not the target audience here. It's the filthy casuals who play d them as kids and now want to pass on their love to their now kids. 

The same principle can be applied to the Generations toyline in Transformers.

3 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

That's not how you play those games, they whole point was to beat the game with one credit. When I new game came out in arcades yes we spent more money at first but as time went by we started to get the practice, we developed the strategies,we watched other people play and ask for advice then we started to beat the game untill it was ours with only one credit used.

Yeah, when I grew up and went to arcades, no one played games like that.  They played them just to have fun with their buddies.  No one cared about trying to get through an entire arcade game with 1 credit.  I'm not saying that those people aren't out there, but the majority of people out there who actually cared about that or tried to play like that was miniscule.

There's a reason every time you saw the 6 player X-Men game, you heard a constant Collussus yell.  It's because someone was just mashing hard and losing health as they did that move.

I also don't think it's a good comparison about endless credits vs. fighting games 1 player.  Playing shmups and belt scrollers with endless credits is still fun.  Playing a fighter single player really isn't lol.

Shit, I was born 1980 and I've played all those games...whatever games.  I've tried to play them in the last decade so I could reminisce about the arcade and have fun with those games.  Turns out most kinda suck now.  There are way better beat'em ups action packed stuffs now.  Then the fact that its not in an arcade, you and your buddies and random folk all talkin' and havin' fun just playing...that's gone.  I feel the same about fighting games solo as purbeast does. 

Any of you guys play Shadow Warrior 3 yet?  Thoughts?

I like those old belt scrolling brawlers even today. TMNT 89 I'd a fantastic and fair brawler and so was Turtles in Time. Capcom made a bunch of great and fair belt scrollers. The Xmen Brawler is fantastic to on proper hardware. The Simpsons Brawler is over rated as fucking hell and was never as good as people said it was anyway. As mentioned that shit gets incredibly cheap on the back end. Most people just moved on before they got that far. That game isn't very good and I wouldn't use it as a bench mark for whether old belt scrolling brawlers where any good or not. 

Yeah there are def some that are legit good games and still fun.  I think those TMNT and Final Fight games also fall into that category.

One I never played before MAME that is awesome is Violent Storm.  The music was ahead of it's time too.

Took this for my buddy to make him LOL while I was playing it the last time I played through it.  Song owns.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Yeah there are def some that are legit good games and still fun.  I think those TMNT and Final Fight games also fall into that category.

One I never played before MAME that is awesome is Violent Storm.  The music was ahead of it's time too.

Took this for my buddy to make him LOL while I was playing it the last time I played through it.  Song owns.

My bro and I went on a tear and played through a bunch of old brawlers a few years ago and the original TMNT and Final Fight 1 were among the best we played and I was surprised they still held up. The Final Fight sequels were ok but nowhere near as good as the original and arcade Turtles In Time isn't as good as the SNES version.

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is another one that's held up really well too. We played that one and it still really jams even after all this time.

Elden Ring; I made a 3rd character now... Astrologer so my pure sorcery shenanigans can start off correctly.  The adventures of a mysterious one known only as "Ishologu" have begun.  

With customization, I like that you can "favorite" a design; I have 4 now... this came in handy when I realized with the first iteration that I messed up and forgot to include a keepsake (the default selection is "none")... I deleted and recreated him; due to the "favorite" being saved, this didn't take long at all...like just a few seconds load favorite, pick a keepsake and name him again.  Just like the first character, I went for the one that gives you a little extra health.  I only played him around 38 minutes and already made sure to get some essential basics; got the horse and discovered a few grace areas, killed a lot of the soldiers in that first base/camp you see in the middle of nowhere, and picked up the wolf spirits.  I also went through the tutorial area this time.. this is something I missed on the first character, actually... there's quite a few easy enemies in there, so you can start off with around 200-ish runes by going that route. (*just realized...imagine the pain of someone who never played a Souls game before....AND managed to overlook the tutorial area as well...which naturally explains some basic combat and movement things...)

Back on my first character for a minute--- I made it into some area with another Tree Sentinel (he is "upgraded" too)!  Nope, I did not survive...I got him down to a 3rd of his health though.

Fextralife again with some crucial sorcery tips:

Edited by MillionX

...and so, Ishologu was on his way... having already acquired the legendary Meteorite staff and the powerful Rock Sling spell.  This new sorcerer would soon become a powerful force on the battlefield.  No one knew the horrid reality of his true nature just yet.....

It's funny how easy it is to acquire such a powerful item... it's possible to get that S-RANK staff right in the early game like this...and then the rock spell isn't too far from where you find the staff...which is also close to a good farming spot with enemies that are worth hundreds of runes a piece.  Man, that is ridiculous.  Oh yeah, I fully intend for this character to be as busted as possible... I have him up to level 24 so far with 31 points on Intelligence....

edit---ha, leveled up 2 more times there to 24... 31 Int now... with Ishologu, I was able to beat Margit on the first attempt since this character is already a powerhouse early in the game.

Edited by MillionX
17 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah, when I grew up and went to arcades, no one played games like that.  They played them just to have fun with their buddies.  No one cared about trying to get through an entire arcade game with 1 credit.  I'm not saying that those people aren't out there, but the majority of people out there who actually cared about that or tried to play like that was miniscule.

There's a reason every time you saw the 6 player X-Men game, you heard a constant Collussus yell.  It's because someone was just mashing hard and losing health as they did that move.

I also don't think it's a good comparison about endless credits vs. fighting games 1 player.  Playing shmups and belt scrollers with endless credits is still fun.  Playing a fighter single player really isn't lol.

Yeah it was my disappointment when I got here in the U.S in 2000 they had plenty of arcades but nobody played them. It's like my buddie said " I don't think gringos were that much into arcade culture to begin with". And you're right Of all the arcades I visited I saw nobody play a game like that. 

Some people still find fun playing a fighting game solo specially if they are new to the genre, otherwise arcade mode and story mode wouldn't exist (lol sfv).

17 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Shit, I was born 1980 and I've played all those games...whatever games.  I've tried to play them in the last decade so I could reminisce about the arcade and have fun with those games.  Turns out most kinda suck now.  There are way better beat'em ups action packed stuffs now.  Then the fact that its not in an arcade, you and your buddies and random folk all talkin' and havin' fun just playing...that's gone.  I feel the same about fighting games solo as purbeast does. 

Any of you guys play Shadow Warrior 3 yet?  Thoughts?

Boots up game dies 3 times in the first stage gets obliterated by the boss calls the game shit. I don't know if that's you but I've heard this from other people who don't know what the hell they're doing. Sure if you have boddies use more credits and have fun nothing wrong with it.

Ok, the Kindred of Rot double-team boss fight is another one that is borderline impossible.  The ONLY time I even get close is if I just have luck on my side, and the AI decides to not be as aggressive for a change.  Here is what normally happens:

• You enter the room and right away you're standing in poison.
  • The 2 centipede looking dudes are the bosses here; at least 1 of them..sometimes both will shoot that ridiculous multi-spikes projectile attack and angles right towards you.  Naturally this does absurd damage.  
  • On top of that, they're super-fast like anything else dangerous in this game, and they can close the distance in the blink of an eye and start up with all kinds of powerful combo attacks with their halberd weapons. (which also have long range, of course)  
  • There is also no delay between when they do the projectile and when they switch to melee hits....though the projectile is the most dangerous thing to watch out for...it's more difficult to dodge imo, considering how insanely fast that attack happens.

So, you're always taking damage here, guaranteed...whether it's because you enter the room immediately standing in poison, or because you did the spirit summons at the start of the fight, and the delay after that move guarantees you will be hit by the projectile that takes you down to maybe 15% health remaining....so you can easily be killed by one of them dashing over for a melee follow-up.  As usual, rock spell does incredible damage, but good luck hitting with that since they can move around super-fast and easily dodge it.

*Earlier today though, I finally found Rennala and beat her...without much trouble, actually.  Funny thing was when I thought the battle was over...then a scene happened and of course she had a "2nd phase"....and I made the mistake of going all out that first time so I was left with almost nothing for phase 2.  I fought smarter the next time and won... just sword attacks for 1st phase, saving all my magic resources for the 2nd part of the fight.  Now, I have her full moon sorcery, though the Int requirement is high... I need something like 70 or so before I can use that.....anyway, now THAT was a damn cool boss fight there.  I was hoping to get her "Comet Azure" (aka Kamehameha!) sorcery but that's actually found elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Is this legit? If so this is fucking hilarious.

That shit was so bad that G4 revival went to the drain and now they are rebranding as Xplay and cancelling a lot of the shit they were working on.

Word of mouth from people that work on the industry says that Comcast is not pleased at all with that crap the crew pulled out, since they invested millions on trying to get the revival of the ground for Foreskin to go and torch everything.

Hell yeah I just beat Draconic Tree Sentinel!  What a battle... yeah, he is WAY worse than the "regular" Tree Sentinel.  And yep, no chance in hell I could've beat him with anything other than a sorcery build.  I'm not sure how non-mage characters can even manage that one at all.

Edit---hot damn he was worth 50,000 runes apparently...

Oh yeah...I'm in Capital City now... and right after that hellish battle there's a Grace area.

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Edited by MillionX