Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Gotham Knights sounds like a real solid $20 - $30 experience. I honestly look forward to finding it for around that price. 

Imo, the game has good ideas, but it executes a lot of them poorly.

Does the game deserve the 4 score?

Definitively  no,  not really.

Like Austin said, the game is an easy 7, if you want to be harsh, a 5 (not good, not bad).

Of course, there are technical issues (some still present) that were really bad at launch, plus some pre patches decisions that made the game more grindy that I think were not present when Austin played, which is why he feels that people kind of overreacted.

(Which is a problem with reviewing modern games at later dates, there are things that will be missing the context of launch day and the days near to it, but is what it it is.)

Also, he didn't go into detail but the fighting mechanics only really shine until you get into the end game.

The thing is that before a patch, you couldn't use the end game build on the story portion of the game.

So you had really broken elemental damage builds that could only be used on the Starro mode, but could get to the open world because the open world had a level cap limit that the end game sets were way over it.

That kind of things are part of the reason why the game was received poorly at the start.

The gameplay was repetitive until like the last 2 hours of the game, once you had unlocked more skills, but by that time, the game is already being finished.

So after that you could only appreciate the mechanics on mode that became repetitive and boring quickly for a lot of people.

The pace has been improved, but at the start it was a drag.

More Frosty Fausting videos

Spoiler

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 Exhibition

Samurai Shodown Top 8

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Top 4

Chaos Code Top 4

Samurai Shodown V Special Top 4

Vampire Saviour Top 8

Jojo Bizarre Adventure

Touhou Top 4

Dead or Alive Top 4

SoulCalibur VI Top 8

Divekick Top 4

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Top 4

Mortal Kombat XL Top 4

Mortal Kombat XI Top 8

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Imo, the game has good ideas, but it executes a lot of them poorly.

Does the game deserve the 4 score?

Definitively  no,  not really.

Like Austin said, the game is an easy 7, if you want to be harsh, a 5 (not good, not bad).

Of course, there are technical issues (some still present) that were really bad at launch, plus some pre patches decisions that made the game more grindy that I think were not present when Austin played, which is why he feels that people kind of overreacted.

(Which is a problem with reviewing modern games at later dates, there are things that will be missing the context of launch day and the days near to it, but is what it it is.)

Also, he didn't go into detail but the fighting mechanics only really shine until you get into the end game.

The thing is that before a patch, you couldn't use the end game build on the story portion of the game.

So you had really broken elemental damage builds that could only be used on the Starro mode, but could get to the open world because the open world had a level cap limit that the end game sets were way over it.

That kind of things are part of the reason why the game was received poorly at the start.

The gameplay was repetitive until like the last 2 hours of the game, once you had unlocked more skills, but by that time, the game is already being finished.

So after that you could only appreciate the mechanics on mode that became repetitive and boring quickly for a lot of people.

The pace has been improved, but at the start it was a drag.

Yea, I know, I watched the video, and many others. That Boy Aqua has a good one to. 

Like I said a solid 20 to 30 dollar game. Don't pay full price but there is fun to be had here at more budget level pricing and that works for me.

I think a lot of games should get update reviews 6 months, to a year later after all the patching because the game Day 1 isn't going to be the game down the road anyway. 

14 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, I know, I watched the video, and many others. That Boy Aqua has a good one to. 

Like I said a solid 20 to 30 dollar game. Don't pay full price but there is fun to be had here at more budget level pricing and that works for me.

I think a lot of games should get update reviews 6 months, to a year later after all the patching because the game Day 1 isn't going to be the game down the road anyway. 

Speaking of, I should said that the game at launch does deserve the 4 if we consider the myriad of technical issues that made it unplayable for many, specially on PC.

And as you said, many of my friends are waiting for a heavy discount or for when it hits psn+ 🤣

33 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of, I should said that the game at launch does deserve the 4 if we consider the myriad of technical issues that made it unplayable for many, specially on PC.

Yea, but thats more an example of how Day 1 Reviews are only useful for like...the first week at most, and if you aren't a day 1 buyer, they are actually pretty fucking useless.

21 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, but thats more an example of how Day 1 Reviews are only useful for like...the first week at most, and if you aren't a day 1 buyer, they are actually pretty fucking useless.

I think they at least work as points of reference to see how the game has evolved.

For better or worse, there are still a lot of early adopters, myself included for some games/genres (mostly fgs)

Plus, a lot of games don't really change that much outside balance and minor bug fixes, unless they release in a poor state.

For example, games like DMC5, and Bayo3 have not really changed, so the reviews for those games still stand relevant.

And in some way, it helps to keep a record of publishers/studios and their shenanigans of releasing incomplete/broken games.

VGM Fridays!  There are a couple gaming anniversaries that happened this month but I'm not going to do that this week.  2 of the biggest note worthy being MGR:R reaching it's 10th and Fire Emblem Awakening also reaching it's 10th.  Burning Rangers also reached it's 25th anniversary this month but I am admittedly unfamiliar with the ost from that game aside from the main theme so if anyone knows any other bangers from this game that should be heard I'd love to hear them.

This should be set to the track "Aethereal Nexus"^

^ If you want to hear this super jazzed up then I recommend J-Music Ensemble's take.

I realize I'm the only one here that cares so much about Diablo 3 but the season 28 date and final notes are finally out there so Raxx has a vid on it.

I never play with randoms in this game...but it will be quite a shame to watch most of the player/fanbase for this move on to Diablo 4....this will be the last season before D4's launch.  I'll try to resist the lure of part 4 as best I can....it's tempting but I really hate to support the absolute nonsense of "online-only! even for single-player" gaming.  

*Another great "offline-gaming" moment, btw---- the power went out in the area about a week ago...and it was out for a couple of hours, actually....heh, I was still able to play Switch-version Diablo 3 perfectly fine....no need to connect to anything, and my Switch had a full charge.

ha, I was coming back to post that.... my old college cuddy wasted money on that nonsense; he probably won't ever play it more than that 1 time.

I never saw for sure but there's no pimps and hos in the game, right?  I'd be completely shocked if this neutered garbage actually had that in the game.  These are the type of people that would no doubt find it "very problematic" to have pimps and ho characters walking around in their game. (*especially male pimps; I suspect they'd be ok with there being Madams if they included it at all...but males in that role would be a no-go; not allowed.)

...so ridiculous... imagine having the green light to make a Saint's Row game... but your team is going out of their way to play it "safe" with the comedy and tone everything down as much as possible.  It's as absurd as when there was a Saturday morning cartoon out of Tales from the Crypt back in the day (yep this actually happened; it was on ABC if I recall).

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

For example, games like DMC5

DMCV literally has more content available now then it did when it released. Its not a HUGE change but its still a change that effects the overall quality of the product.

And lots of games change drastically from release, every single fighter I've purchased since Patching became a thing is a different game in 6 months to a year, then it was when i bought it.

Any of you play Returnal on PS5 before?  Released on PC a couple/few days ago.  I dont remember much talk about this game but the little I saw of it always made me want to try it.  Its pretty fun.  Of the games I've tried recently its the one I'm having the most fun with.

Gonna check out a game called SpaceBourne II in a bit.  Looks like it would be fun but I have a feeling it wont be.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1646850/SpaceBourne_2/

47 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Any of you play Returnal on PS5 before?  Released on PC a couple/few days ago.  I dont remember much talk about this game but the little I saw of it always made me want to try it.  Its pretty fun.  Of the games I've tried recently its the one I'm having the most fun with.

It's on my list of games to try, will probably buy it when it goes down to around $30.

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Any of you play Returnal on PS5 before?

Yeah I own it-it's fucking awesome. I haven't beaten it yet because when I bought it there wasn't any way to save in the middle of a run except for putting your PS5 into rest mode with the app open and I don't like doing that. Each run could potentially last hours and I just couldn't commit a huge block of time to it. Since I put it down it's been patched so you can use a single save state to come back to a run later, and there's co-op now! I do plan on picking it up again at some point. Great fucking game.

21 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Gonna check out a game called SpaceBourne II in a bit.  Looks like it would be fun but I have a feeling it wont be.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1646850/SpaceBourne_2/

Returnal is an excellent game, one of the hidden gems on the PS5 (now on pc)

Well, the season was supposed to end yesterday afternoon for Diablo 3 but as of this morning it's still been in effect, so I got a few more greater rifts.  This season was one hell of a good time for me... at the very end I had cleared a GR 125, and my necro still wasn't absolutely "perfect" in terms of the build yet...I need more ancient versions of my items to attain even greater power via the augments.

The general powerlevel of the D3 characters will creep up even more in season 28 though...that's going to be completely insane with all the benefits that "altar" gives...one of the nodes makes it so there's no more level requirements on gear... so the same effect as a "Gem of Ease" applied to all items, which is of course crazy.  You could have a fresh level 1 character fully geared up in level 70 stuff right away for ridiculously fast power-leveling.

On another note---that "I Am Jesus" game---imagine the modding potential there... what if someone mods in the Prophet Muhammad, perhaps with some magically explosive powers?  I also wonder could you change the narrative, like can you play an evil version of Jesus?  That would be absolute gold.