Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Man that's Haunted Castle. I've played it. It's not remotely close to the worst CV, buuuuuut it is merciless and has absolutely no chill whatsoever. Haunted Castle makes Castlevania 1 on the NES look like a Kids Ball Pit. 

I've played almost all of them (exclusions that come to mind  being Vampire Killer on the MSX, Judgement, mobile phone games, the N-Gage SotN), what would you say play worse than Haunted Castle? CV Adventure (and maybe Legends) on the Game Boy are the only ones I found to be nearly as bad. Haunted Castle does have a bitchin soundtrack though. 

37 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I've played almost all of them (exclusions that come to mind  being Vampire Killer on the MSX, Judgement, mobile phone games, the N-Gage SotN), what would you say play worse than Haunted Castle? CV Adventure (and maybe Legends) on the Game Boy are the only ones I found to be nearly as bad. Haunted Castle does have a bitchin soundtrack though. 

The PC port of Castlevania 1 is abysmal, like un-playably bad, The Commodore 64 port is also pure dog shit. I do think Judgment is a bad Castlevania game as well as a bad fighter, so it fails on two fronts, and I would put both gameboy games you listed as worse. 

Not trying to say Haunted Castle is a good game...it just actually functions properly....mostly...and is playable...kind of....and like you said the OST is fire. 

Like I wouldn't recommend anyone try it beyond a curiosity, it's not worth beating or anything, but those other games aren't even worth a look imo. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

@DoctaMario you ever play this shit?

I have. It's absolutely a quarter muncher and it's kind of like old school fighting game CPU where until you know what to do, it seems hella unfair, and that goes double for the NA version which has some absolute bullshit. You also only get one life and one continue, or you can roll a couple credits into an elongated life bar and put that all into a single life and forget the continue. In addition to being difficult, it is a bit clunky and a lot of the reasons people have for not liking it are absolutely valid.

But having said all that, I like the game a lot. I like the graphic style and I think it's an interesting take on the earlier monster movie style of Castlevania. I'd love to see this game get the Adventure Rebirth pseudo remake treatment because I think the bones (ha ha) of it are actually pretty solid. 

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

If Judgment had had better designs I don't think it would have been as maligned as it was, because it's actually a pretty fun game.

To me, Legends is the worst game because after the absolute gem that was Belmont's Revenge, they had no excuse releasing a game that bad. It's also the only CV games I've ever played that I didn't want to play again after I finished it

I'll get back to Bayonetta 3 soon, if I could stop being distracted by so many other things at the moment, like Hogwart's Legacy and Diablo...

Diablo 3 season 28 is officially on and poppin'... I got my Necro up to 60 so far... will likely be at level 70 quickly in my next play session.  The new "Altar" this season gives so many changes it's crazy... one of the 2nd nodes you can unlock removes all level requirements on gear, which as one might guess is a ridiculous power increase to low-level characters.  You could theoretically have all level 70 stuff equipped on a level 1 character.  I already started crafting whatever is the highest I could get from the blacksmith; I'm assuming it's 70s already (not sure since this "remove level req." thing just makes everything show up as "level 1" now.)

Necromancer as usual is the way to go to level up fast as a starting character...mostly because the "corpse explosion" skill is pretty much better than anything the other character classes have at low levels....so in no time, Necro can wipe out huge groups of enemies like it's nothing, leading to a much faster exp gain for your time.  

It's amazing to see how fast others are with this shit--- I checked the reddit board and some of my fellow Diablo fanatics are already into paragon levels....and this season just started last night. 

Rhykker also made a "best builds" vid just yesterday for the new season

edit---ha, no time at all---level 70, paragon 24 already with a few Altar nodes unlocked

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Finally finished Bayonetta 3...I can see where some peeps got mad at where the story went. I didn't mind overall I enjoyed it, BUUUUT waaaay too many cutscenes but it is what it is. 

So funny enough I got into a debate with Po about this recently because of his constant shitting on TLOU as being a walking simulator with too many cutscenes. Now it's fine if that's how you feel, I just find it really strange to being a vehemently aggressive shit talker of cut scene centric games while praising Bayonetta 3 as flawless. Like half of each Bayonetta game is just cut scenes that outside being entertaining to watch, the majority of them just waste your time. They don't develop character, or plot, hell a fuck ton of then don't even move the plot forward they just exist for Bayonetta to dance and make you smile and move on. Like it's super telling that once you start trying to Medal Chapters and are now skipping cutscenes, chapters that took half an hour take 8 to 10 minutes now that you're skipping all the cut scenes. I just don't think you can shit on Kojima and call him a hack for making cinematic experiences then call the Bayo series flawless when 50% of the game is cutscenes that contribute almost nothing to the actual experience beyond a smile. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yes. Like literally yes. 

He really didn't use to be that bad back in the day but then around the time of SF X TK and Capcom's Megaman disappointments started shifting his attitude.

Also I just got the Clock Tower weapon in Bayo 3 which is just a wild AF concept.  Don't know if I'll use it that much like how I don't even try use the train now but it is definitely interesting.  I'm starting to lose track of damge that happens to the summons and that is bad juju in the fight cause I don't feel the game gives you enough of a heads up when your summon is going ape shit.  I just feel like I'm suddenly getting hit when I'm nowhere near the enemy and then the realization happens.

Edited by Sonichuman

There are these purple notches thay surround yoyr Demon Slaves portrait. Thats the Gauge that tells you how close they are getting to going Rage Mode. I do agree they could communicate it better with how busy the screen gets but there is a way to tell so thats nice. 

I don't use the tower much but I hear it's actually really good, I hate the Train Summon, but I really like the Train weapon. 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

There are these purple notches thay surround yoyr Demon Slaves portrait. Thats the Gauge that tells you how close they are getting to going Rage Mode. I do agree they could communicate it better with how busy the screen gets but there is a way to tell so thats nice. 

I don't use the tower much but I hear it's actually really good, I hate the Train Summon, but I really like the Train weapon. 

The indicator is fine but if you're in the middle of a boss or trying to beat one of the optional challenges with stipulations its easy to over look if your concentrating on something else.  It would be nice if you had the indicator then also maybe a quick 1-2 second slo mo shot where the camera either breaks from Bayo or the camera shifts to focus on the summon and shows the exact moment that the summon got put into rage.  I just would like it to be communicated more clearly cause its pretty important to know if Gomorrah or Madama Butterfly's hands are suddenly rated E while you're fighting and 40 ft tall boss monster named after a thunder cloud.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

He really didn't use to be that bad backbin the day but then around the time of SF X TK and Capcom's Megaman disappointments started shifting his attitude.

Imo, DmC was what really broke his fragile psyche.

SFxT and Megaman cancellation devasted him, but DmC turned him into punished Po.

And MN9 just destroyed him.

Edited by Hecatom

I went ahead and bought Returnal on PC after reading that it's not selling too well. Was getting pretty salty about getting mopped quickly in the middle of a long run, finally got over the hump and cleared the first 3 stages. I still kind of wish they had taken the Dead Rising approach rather than the rouglelike approach to the groundhog day mechanic. Just feels like a playthough is way too long for the type of design they chose. I can't believe they omitted a suspend function on the initial release. 

30 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

There was a simpsons wrestling game being worked on?

Edit:  oh this actually got released.  Did not know that.

Yeah, I had it as a kid. Probably the earliest I ever hated a game, even I knew this game was horribly balanced and unfun. Especially Flanders. Fuck Flanders. Whose ever idea it was to give a character both projectiles that don’t disappear until they hit and SF3 Gill’s resurrection needs to be shot.

Ohhh yessss... it just occurred to me to check out the Suicide Squad game's subreddit.  Of course you know why I'm there....to see the threads and commentary of so many disappointed fans.  I'm like a vulture that has found another fresh dead carcass in the road here.  We have another front-row seat to a modern gaming disaster and it will be quite the spectacle.  Ah, if only I had my own youtube channel as well... it would be yet another source of deliciously easy content/views.  

I'm also curious to see what kind of people defend things like this, so that's always part of my morbid curiosity as well.  

Some of the gameplay actually does look fun though.... too bad about the online-only requirement and dopey-looking Harley design.

I'm really disappointed and underwhelmed by Suicide Squad and I think it mostly due to the fact that from what we've seen so far the story actually looks interesting and also that feeling that you know Rocksteady can do better.  I'm not even filled with hyperbolic anger or disgust...its just supreme disappointment.  The moment I saw the fact that everyone was just shooting shit I was confused.

22 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

So, it's live-servicey? Ugh. Publishers high on their microtransactions ruin EVERYTHING eventually. I'm scared for whatever fuckery Warner Bros is going to indirectly put into Mortal Kombat 12.

I wanna say the execs know better than to touch that franchise considering the amount of money that the IP brings in alone...but the unfortunate thing is if you've followed the industry, the % chance of it happening is never 0.

A wild guess--- MK12 will also be online-only, with all extra outfits/cosmetics (which will range in looks from lazy to straight up ugly shit no one with any taste would spend 2 cents on) being microtransactions....and of course the female characters will be look even more unappealing than ever before.  Good thing I don't truly care as much about that franchise as I once did.  It's a series I could still have fun with, assuming it's done "right"....but probably not for a full price anymore.

Edited by MillionX
6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So funny enough I got into a debate with Po about this recently because of his constant shitting on TLOU as being a walking simulator with too many cutscenes. Now it's fine if that's how you feel, I just find it really strange to being a vehemently aggressive shit talker of cut scene centric games while praising Bayonetta 3 as flawless. Like half of each Bayonetta game is just cut scenes that outside being entertaining to watch, the majority of them just waste your time. They don't develop character, or plot, hell a fuck ton of then don't even move the plot forward they just exist for Bayonetta to dance and make you smile and move on. Like it's super telling that once you start trying to Medal Chapters and are now skipping cutscenes, chapters that took half an hour take 8 to 10 minutes now that you're skipping all the cut scenes. I just don't think you can shit on Kojima and call him a hack for making cinematic experiences then call the Bayo series flawless when 50% of the game is cutscenes that contribute almost nothing to the actual experience beyond a smile. 

It's hilarious when I saw the timer and never felt I spent more than half that time actually playing the game. I don't mind Bayo's story it's partly what make the cutscenes fun is her witty banter. Po can be excused about that goofy behavior if he just admitted his bias. Honestly looking through TLOU I probably wouldn't care for the story and might enjoy the gameplay but if I wanted that setting and a goofy story I'd go back to (and I will come remake) RE4. That and I don't own a PS4/5 I have a 3 that I only used early on as a Blu Ray Player. speaking of Kojima I still have a copy of MGS4 (my only real PS3 game) and never "played" more than 10 min. 

50 minutes ago, MillionX said:

A wild guess--- MK12 will also be online-only, with all extra outfits/cosmetics (which will range in looks from lazy to straight up ugly shit no one with any taste would spend 2 cents on) being microtransactions....and of course the female characters will be look even more unappealing than ever before.  Good thing I don't truly care as much about that franchise as I once did.  It's a series I could still have fun with, assuming it's done "right"....but probably not for a full price anymore.

I hope you're wrong, but I can see this. I don't give a shit about how the females are dressed because you rip their heads off, but these studios just CAN'T leave well enough alone.

Also, Po's still alive? Where is he?

Edited by axeman61
14 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

It's hilarious when I saw the timer and never felt I spent more than half that time actually playing the game. I don't mind Bayo's story it's partly what make the cutscenes fun is her witty banter. Po can be excused about that goofy behavior if he just admitted his bias. Honestly looking through TLOU I probably wouldn't care for the story and might enjoy the gameplay but if I wanted that setting and a goofy story I'd go back to (and I will come remake) RE4. That and I don't own a PS4/5 I have a 3 that I only used early on as a Blu Ray Player. speaking of Kojima I still have a copy of MGS4 (my only real PS3 game) and never "played" more than 10 min. 

Frankly don't even care about the bias, he could just be less of an asshole about it and allow other people to have fun with something he don't. 

Like I was posting the HBO TLOU positive reviews because I knee it would piss him off. It's bad to be that predictable. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

A wild guess--- MK12 will also be online-only, with all extra outfits/cosmetics being microtransactions....and of course the female characters will be look even more unappealing than ever before.  Good thing I don't truly care as much about that franchise as I once did.  It's a series I could still have fun with, assuming it's done "right"....but probably not for a full price anymore.

I wouldn't doubt it. There was a lot of optional micro-transactions in the previous games, and with the current state of WB (and everything under it) I'm sure Nether Realm is being pushed to add more DLC.

Diablo----So I took a look at the leaderboards to see if they're cheating this early and yep, they are.  😆 I really don't see the appeal, man... the top spot right now for Greater Rifts has a weapon with 3 gem slots (this is impossible) with gem icons I've never even seen before... 922% damage, plus ridiculous attack speed, critical hit, Life Per Hit, 300% damage to all skills 750 Intelligence, 50% damage to Undead, 38k Thorns damage, 100% chance to fear on hit (which is a stupid, pointless effect, btw) + a long list (15 bullet points of special stuff) of special effects...and that's JUST what's listed on the weapon.....and the weapon damage is listed as 143k....as a yellow rare weapon.  The belt has 3 gem slots....actually... ALL his items have 3 gem slots.  He beat GR 150 in 29 seconds, I see.  This is just day #2 of the season, folks. 🤣

My luck factor with the season on PS5 is crazy right nnow... right away I just got an amazing ancient legendary item that is perfect for one of the top tier builds...this is right after another one of the best necro items (grasps of essence; powers up corpse explosion) dropping right away before I even hit level 70 earlier on this one.  

Edited by MillionX

One positive thing in the game industry that took me completely by surprise though... a couple of online-only games actually becoming playable offline.  I'm still blown away that any company would actually reverse course on such a thing, but there is precedent now... the folks behind V-Rising made an update that allows you to play offline....and from what I've heard/read online, apparently this happened with Back 4 Blood as well.  It's one of the most unexpected thing I've ever seen happen in recent gaming history, actually....reminds of when MS had to change the gameplan they originally had in mind for XBox 1 because the backlash about a major system being 100% "always online" was that bad.  Usually, I'd expect the dumbass suits that make such decisions to stand their ground no matter how foolish their plan with something is, no matter how poor the audience reactions to it is.....but sometimes the rare "course correction" actually does happen.

D3---I'm about halfway down the Altar "skill-tree" at this point; it would be nice if this seasonal thing stayed in the main game permanently.  Both PS5 and Switch characters are well into the paragon levels at this point.

Edited by MillionX
21 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Also, Po's still alive? Where is he?

Discord

22 hours ago, MillionX said:

NRS finally got female faces right with Injustice 2 onward. The actual design for some took a hit. WTF was that outfit for Jade in MK11.