Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

You sure you're not thinking of 8? 7s longest summon is like 2 minutes long and the stuff you have to do to get it made the sit kinda worth it...

8 had tons of really long summon animations (the boost system meant the longer the better lol) but I think they made it so you could skip pretty large chunks of them. I'm oretty sure you could but I don't remember 100% it's been...20 years probably since I played 8?

Anyway a decent way to avoid that issue in 7 is to not use Summons, they aren't very good anyway. You can easily do more damage with less work, less cost, and less time spent, both in acquisition, and in time spent watching. 

I'm not trying to make you like jrpgs, I'm trying to understand your position because what you're saying makes little sense, to me anyway, your primary complaint is 100% avoidable with better options. 

No I'm referring to FF7.

FF7 was the first RPG I remember playing where it felt like you were watching more than actually playing, and the watching part wasn't even interesting and confusing as hell, with stupid ass characters lol.

Another hot take that you all will hate.

I hated RE4 too. 

It's why I never played another RE game until RE7 and I only played that because I heard how awesome it was in VR and PSVR was my only experience with it.  And it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Another hot take that you all will hate.

I hated RE4 too

I don't hate any take someone has, long as it's a genuine take. Like I dont care if you dislike 7, I just don't understand why because your reasons don't make sense to me. 

Like you can dislike RE4, I'm simply gonna ask why and if your reasons are weird to me I'll probably probe more. It's not because I wanna convince you to like something I just want to understand why you feel the way you do. I find game design facinating and part of game design is picking people's brains to understand what does and doesn't resonate with them, but when your complaints are either avoidable or confusing I can't help but wanna ask more. 

I hope that makes sense. Your welcome to dislike any game you want, for whatever reasons you want, but people challenging those reasons, or at least probing deeper into them isn't a bad thing is it?

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Like you can dislike RE4, I'm simply gonna ask why and if your reasons are weird to me I'll probably probe more. It's not because I wanna convince you to like something I just want to understand why you feel the way you do. I find game design facinating and part of game design is picking people's brains to understand what does and doesn't resonate with them, but when your complaints are either avoidable or confusing I can't help but wanna ask more. 

I hope that makes sense. Your welcome to dislike any game you want, for whatever reasons you want, but people challenging those reasons m, otlr at least probing deeper into them isn't a bad thing is it?

I disliked it because it turned into basically a run and gun game.  It completely left the survival horror aspect and instead you had sub machine guns and mowed down people.  The pace was totally sped up and it just didn't "feel" like an RE game.  It was not scary at all.  It felt like it was trying to get onto the whole shooter trend at the time where everyone wanted to be like the hot FPS/shooter at the time.

Edited by purbeast
11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

There is legit not one Bethesda game that I've ever had any interest in.

That's the thing. They are exactly my kind of game. Open world rpg with fuck loads of side quests to create your own narrative around? Awesome.  But then I start playing and I'm just like "wow this sucks..."

Edited by RSG3

Yeah, for the time I loved Skyrim... it was *despite* the various technical problems.  It would be a dream if another more competent game development company could produce an Elder Scrolls game....y'know, someone who could make a game I don't have to worry about crashing or freezing or whatever when I arrive or leave any random dungeon, or cave, village, etc. etc. etc.

Oddly enough I had far less problems out of Elder Scrolls Online---though of course that has the problem of being an mmo though....that in itself is most unfortunate... in that case I had some fun with the game in spite of it being part of that horrible genre.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

My "Big hot take' is that Bethesda doesn't make very good games. I think most people here agree with me tho so it's not much of a hot take around here lol. 

Bethesda makes buggy mid tier games that get turned to something special by their dedicated fans on PC. I still remember having Morrowind on PC. There were fan character models that looked ten times better than Bethesda's and we made of less polygons. So the game would look and run better. Their fans do a better job of bug fixing than they do. That part of the reason Fallout 76 blew up in their face. The online nature made it difficult for fans to save their ass.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I think Obsidian is the dev company everyone pretends Bethesda is. A developer that makes incredible games that are technical disasters. It's why I struggle to recommend them. Alpha Protocol is one of the coolest fucking spy games I've ever played, your choices have real impact in that game its so cool...but it's performance is fucking ass across the board, it barely runs, but it's so cool, but it's so glitchy, but it's so creative, but it's so messy....like for every single positive there's a negative lol. 

Games still super awesome and if you can muscle past the glitches I think you'll be rewarded for it. Can't say the same for Bethesda games. 

@Darc_RequiemI agree 100%, but Bethesda shouldn't get the credit for the amazing work their fanbase does. Skyrim shouldn't be GOTY because their fans make amazing content lol. 

Edited by RSG3

What's funny is Outer Worlds is probably Obsidians soundest product from a technical level but I found it really boring lol. 

But Obsidian is hit or miss for me, I didn't like KOTOR II either ( didn't like Kotor 1 either tho) but I recognize they actually push boundaries and try to be creative and do real shit, like have choices have actual consiquences. Doesn't Elder Scrolls let you join every single faction even when they hate eachothers guts? Like come on. 

Edited by RSG3

My hot take is that BOTW aint all that. I won't say it's a BAD game because there are definitely things there that can make most people just drool all over it, I just think that maybe it isn't quite my style for Zelda games. Gimme Ocarina of Time any day baby.

And yeah I thought people complaining about weapon breaking was pure exaggeration, but after experiencing it....yeah, fuck weapon breaking. I grinded pretty early to get the Master Sword ASAP, and....it turns out it "runs out of energy" and now I can't use it for a good 5 minutes? Why do you hate me attacking in a Zelda game, Nintendo?

6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

What's funny is Outer Worlds is probably Obsidians soundest product from a technical level but I found it really boring lol. 

But Obsidian is hit or miss for me, I didn't like KOTOR II either ( didn't like Kotor 1 either tho) but I recognize they actually push boundaries and try to be creative and do real shit, like have choices have actual consiquences. Doesn't Elder Scrolls let you join every single faction even when they hate eachothers guts? Like come on. 

KOTOR II had issues but they are almost all the fault of Lucasarts. Obsidian had a really short development cycle. I think it was less than a year. They had 2005 release date in mind. Lucasarts moved into 2004.....so that game had a ton of cut content. The PC version had mods that restored the much it, it's a night an day difference IMO.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

KOTOR II had issues but they are almost all the fault of Lucasarts. Obsidian had a really short development cycle. I think it was less than a year. They had 2005 release date in mind. Lucasarts moved into 2004.....so that game had a ton of cut content. The PC version had mods that restored the much it, it's a night an day difference IMO.

Yea I know, that's why I put in the aside that I didn't like KOTOR 1 either. Like it's not really Obsidians fault, I wouldn't have liked the game if was complete either. Know what I mean?

23 minutes ago, Lantis said:

My hot take is that BOTW aint all that. I won't say it's a BAD game because there are definitely things there that can make most people just drool all over it, I just think that maybe it isn't quite my style for Zelda games. Gimme Ocarina of Time any day baby.

And yeah I thought people complaining about weapon breaking was pure exaggeration, but after experiencing it....yeah, fuck weapon breaking. I grinded pretty early to get the Master Sword ASAP, and....it turns out it "runs out of energy" and now I can't use it for a good 5 minutes? Why do you hate me attacking in a Zelda game, Nintendo?

While I loved BotW at the time, I also agree with you that it's really nothing special and in the grand scheme of Zelda games, it's probably mid tier.  I prefer A Link's Awakening remake on Switch to BotW.  And shit, I even finished every damn Shrine in BotW.

I'm honestly not even excited about the new Zelda game, Tears of the Kingdom or whatever it's called.  I don't know if I'll get it at launch or not.  But it just looks like "more" Breath of the Wild, and that just doesn't excite me very much.  I hated the whole stamina shit in it and I hated the whole weapons breaking stuff.  And then once you get used to weapons breaking, you start to get so many damn powerful weapons that you don't even have room for all of them and it really becomes a non issue because you're just stacked with incredible weapons.  It just felt like such an artificial "difficulty/feature" they added that served no purpose at all.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm honestly not even excited about the new Zelda game, Tears of the Kingdom or whatever it's called

same. I have absolutely zero interest in the game due to how much I disliked BotW. The companion amiibo is fire though. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

When I comes to Resident Evil, RE4 is actually my favorite. I hated the "tank" controls and fixed camera BS of the prior games. It's "fake" difficulty. I should have to fight the enemies in a game not it's controls.

Hot take, tank controls and fixed camera angles are good actually.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

My "Big hot take' is that Bethesda doesn't make very good games. I think most people here agree with me tho so it's not much of a hot take around here lol. 

Can't say I'm interested in very many Bethesda developed games personally bt I can see the appeal of why they'd be fun.  Think the only game that I really want to play that's published by them is Hi Fi Rush.

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

No interest in DOOM or any of Arkanes work? Dishonored, Prey? 

Oh shit don't even know why I didn't think about those games.  Yes I am def interested in Doom despite the Mick Gordon debacle.  Dishonored yes, Prey eh.  I have Doom 2016 sitting on my shelf in my backlog.  Still haven't gotten to it.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I wish I didn't get an Xbox Series X.  That shit just sits there and collects dust.  I don't think I've played it more than beating Gears of War 5, an Xbox One game.

Only time it is played is when family comes over and they log into their profiles lol.

I went through the same thing with my Xbox One X. I don't think I've even logged 100 hours that thing in the years that I've owned it. It's basically my 4K Blu Ray player. It's literally the only console I've ever regretted buying. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I think Obsidian is the dev company everyone pretends Bethesda is. A developer that makes incredible games that are technical disasters. It's why I struggle to recommend them. Alpha Protocol is one of the coolest fucking spy games I've ever played, your choices have real impact in that game its so cool...but it's performance is fucking ass across the board, it barely runs, but it's so cool, but it's so glitchy, but it's so creative, but it's so messy....like for every single positive there's a negative lol. 

Games still super awesome and if you can muscle past the glitches I think you'll be rewarded for it. Can't say the same for Bethesda games. 

@Darc_RequiemI agree 100%, but Bethesda shouldn't get the credit for the amazing work their fanbase does. Skyrim shouldn't be GOTY because their fans make amazing content lol. 

Obsidian developed my favorite fallout game, New Vegas and it is hands down the most broken game Bethesda as ever published. The game must have been put together with glue and duck tape but my god was the game fun and it's characters engaging.

11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I wish I didn't get an Xbox Series X.  That shit just sits there and collects dust.  I don't think I've played it more than beating Gears of War 5, an Xbox One game.

Only time it is played is when family comes over and they log into their profiles lol.

Well hopefully your investment will pay off when M$ is able to actually use the meter they've been building for the past few years.  Gears 5 came out 9/6/2019 so nearly time for them to start talking about Gears 6. 

I've been seeing rumors that PD is still a ways out and the same goes for Fable.  Both games sopposedly are having dev problems.

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Well hopefully your investment will pay off when M$ is able to actually use the meter they've been building for the past few years.  Gears 5 came out 9/6/2019 so nearly time for them to start talking about Gears 6. 

I've been seeing rumors that PD is still a ways out and the same goes for Fable.  Both games sopposedly are having dev problems.

They need some new shit.  I'm tired of their current franchises.  They haven't evolved them at all.  

Like I enjoyed Gears 5 quite a bit, but I also didn't play 4 and it was literally the same damn mechanics and stuff as Gears 1.  Except they also tried to throw in some stupid ass open world concepts to be like every other game that wants to be open world, except it just felt completely forced and made the game artificially longer than necessary.

If PD is Perfect Dark, yeah I have no interest in that crap.  The one on 360 sucked so bad that I won't go back to it and I'm over FPS in general.

And Fable?  LOL ... yeah I will never play one of those.  Just not my kind of game.

I pretty much got my XSX due to FOMO.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

They need some new shit.  I'm tired of their current franchises.  They haven't evolved them at all.  

Like I enjoyed Gears 5 quite a bit, but I also didn't play 4 and it was literally the same damn mechanics and stuff as Gears 1.  Except they also tried to throw in some stupid ass open world concepts to be like every other game that wants to be open world, except it just felt completely forced and made the game artificially longer than necessary.

If PD is Perfect Dark, yeah I have no interest in that crap.  The one on 360 sucked so bad that I won't go back to it and I'm over FPS in general.

And Fable?  LOL ... yeah I will never play one of those.  Just not my kind of game.

I pretty much got my XSX due to FOMO.

Yyyeeah...that's pretty weird that you went in on buying the console and you weren't really feeling any of the exclusives at least.  There's no franchises at all that they own that you're interested in?

18 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yyyeeah...that's pretty weird that you went in on buying the console and you weren't really feeling any of the exclusives at least.  There's no franchises at all that they own that you're interested in?

Oh I know, as I said, it was mainly FOMO at that point.  I haven't missed a console at launch since PSX came out aside from Wii U so it's just how things go for me - I buy consoles at launch lol.  

I expected them to have SOMETHING at some point, but not right away because they said every game was basically going to be an Xbox One game for the first 2 years game ported to XSX, but here we are 2 years later, and nothing in sight that I even care about.  Still clinging on that maybe we'll get another Killer Instinct game but I doubt that will happen because all they seem to care about is Gears, Forza, and Halo.

I actually bought Gears 5, Halo 5 (I think 5) and Doom Eternal that Black Friday to have for my "launch" games.

I played through Gears 5, played Doom Eternal for like 30 mins and didn't like it, and Halo is still sealed.  Thankfully I believe I spent $20 total for those 3 games.

Edited by purbeast
1 minute ago, purbeast said:

Oh I know, as I said, it was mainly FOMO at that point.  I haven't missed a console at launch since PSX came out aside from Wii U so it's just how things go for me - I buy consoles at launch lol.  

I expected them to have SOMETHING at some point, but not right away because they said every game was basically going to be an Xbox One game for the first 2 years game ported to XSX, but here we are 2 years later, and nothing in sight that I even care about.  Still clinging on that maybe we'll get another Killer Instinct game but I doubt that will happen because all they seem to care about is Gears, Forza, and Halo.

Regarding KI, there's only been a small rumor floating around regarding it.  Doesn't seem really strong at the moment though.

There are reports floating around that if your Wii U has gone unused for a long time that it might brick, and Nintendo will not offer a repair.

Soooo...I'm gonna go plug my Wii U in and check it out.  I turned it on about a year ago before we moved.

https://mynintendonews.com/2023/03/07/many-users-reporting-bricked-wii-u-consoles-after-not-playing-them-for-years/

9 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

There are reports floating around that if your Wii U has gone unused for a long time that it might brick, and Nintendo will not offer a repair.

Soooo...I'm gonna go plug my Wii U in and check it out.  I turned it on about a year ago before we moved.

https://mynintendonews.com/2023/03/07/many-users-reporting-bricked-wii-u-consoles-after-not-playing-them-for-years/

Good thing that I have mine plugged in since is my emulation machine.

It even gets more play than the xbone

I've thinking about latest episode of the Last of Us and there was something that bothered me in the rewatch. Where did all the town people go? Did no one notice or care when the building got set on fire? In the game Joel and Ellie killed the lot of them so it being empty was somewhat plausible. What's the shows excuse?