Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Played Wo Long a bit on both Steam and Game Pass.  Both versions of the game ran fine for me.  Game is gettin lots of negative reviews on steam for performance issues and mouse control.  Mouse controller (and maybe keyboard) is the biggest busted issue.  I play it with a controller so that's not an issue for me.  Game is pretty dope so far.  Maybe the voice acting is a bit cheesy.  Seems it'll be a fun ride. 

O8UyF8a.png

16Ok4tG.jpgspacer.png

^that reminds me; I have the Switch version of Dragon's Dogma but haven't even started with it yet; I had fond memories of playing it on the 360 so of course I got it asap when it hit Switch....it was one of my favorite games of that 360/PS3 era.  heh heh, my friend's Zangief-looking "pawn" character was so amazingly terrible I remember... I dumped that shitty character pretty fast....he was dead weight in the party; always first to die.  There was so many good times with that game though.

Random note---that recent Toejam & Earl game is on sale on Switch for $2.24 at the moment.

On xbox/Live---Dawn of the Monsters is 20.99 right now... these days, 30% off isn't really an impressive sale anymore but I might get it for that price.  

I was playing "Textorcist" again a few days ago... the concept of this game, and the guts it took to produce something with such niche appeal is fascinating.  Even if you type fast, the difficulty with how this plays is harsh as hell....but of course that's assuming you're playing "fair" in the first place.  Theoretically, you could trivialize the whole thing by having 1 player control the character and another person to handle all the typing....or if you became good at using a controller with your feet while typing with your hands, I guess? 😆 Whatever, I love it....it's a shame that this kind of "typing gameplay" concept will always be an extreme rarity, due to the fact that there is no chance for such a thing ever having mass appeal.

*It's really frustrating that D4 is online-only across the board...  if it weren't this would obviously be a day 1 instant buy for me, since I've been hooked on Diablo 3 non-stop since it released 11 years ago.

Edited by MillionX
19 hours ago, RSG3 said:

It's too bad Nintendo seems to have botched the physical release to Metroid Prime Remaster so badly. I've Ben to 3 places today and none of them it nor know when they will be getting more of it. Pretty disappointing. Might have to bybitndigital regardles....

Yeah I don't know what's up with it.  The one I ordered from BB This past monday for pickup today actually arrived Wednesday so I grabbed it a few days ago.  I haven't opened it yet though.

Also, many Target's appear to have inventory according to PopFindr, however the quantities are not changing and I went to one on Wednesday that had 10 of them in stock, before I got mine from BB, and they weren't out on the shelf and the employees told me they had none in stock so I don't know.  I also heard on Reddit someone say Target had today as the release date, March 3rd, but the website still shows sold out even though PopFindr is showing them in stock at a bunch of Target's around here.  Some only have 1 or 2 though, and 10 is the max I've seen.

On another note, I'm not playing it yet because I'm playing through Kena: Bridge of Spirits on PS5 and I want to finish it before I get to MPR.  And I have to say, it is a really nice game with some incredible art style and charm to it.  The game is nothing ground breaking or anything and really doesn't do anything new, but it's just a fun game.  Voice acting is really bad in it though lol, but aside from that and some camera issues, I'd give it like a solid 8/10.  I'm really enjoying it.

8 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Played Wo Long a bit on both Steam and Game Pass.  Both versions of the game ran fine for me.  Game is gettin lots of negative reviews on steam for performance issues and mouse control.  Mouse controller (and maybe keyboard) is the biggest busted issue.  I play it with a controller so that's not an issue for me.  Game is pretty dope so far.  Maybe the voice acting is a bit cheesy.  Seems it'll be a fun ride. 

This shit happened again? Temco published the first Nioh game with KB&M support on PC and got torn a new asshole for it.

Other than a deeper level of customization (with body, face, hair options)...there's really just one missing detail of greatness that I wish Kingdoms of Amalur had... a "transmog" customization like you see in Diablo and so many other games.  The item design in the game is mostly good in terms of cool, interesting visual designs, so all they would need is a very basic system like that, and of course add a color/dye option on everything.  If it had this it would for sure be a real top ranking contender for "Greatest Game of All Time" status to me.  

When you don't have that kind of customization....and stats are tied to clothing and armor, you have this unfortunate dilemma eventually----make your character look cool....OR wear whatever gives the best stats and build....so then the player's character has no sense of design if you care about having an "optimal" or even moderately serious, efficient/top tier character build....like imagine if they have certain clothing items and colors in the game that would allow you to design a character to look like something from your favorite anime, or maybe a ninja... or a badass wizard... or super sentai Power Ranger looking character...or a hot redhead vampire, or whatever floats your boat.... but you'd be giving up the superior stats of some other armor/clothing that in your opinion looks goofy and lame... say you could dress up your character to look like a badass demon...but the stats on the demon outfit are inferior to this goofy ass purple chicken suit over there that grants +500% to Attack Power.  Transmog system allows you to have the +500% bonus of the goofy chicken suit while still having the look of the demon badass outfit if you want.  You can look cool AND have the optimal stats.

The transmog/customization options should really just be the standard expectation for anything with custom characters at this point.

*in Kingdoms of Amalur ....basically your own crafted gear is the top tier shit... so for anyone looking to make the character as powerful and efficient as possible... your character will always look the same, wearing the top rank crafted "prismere stone" stuff and crafted weapons.  Anything else is just a gimped character in comparison.

Edited by MillionX

Hoeg is back after his stroke. He seems to be doing well. This video goes over the recent activity in the MS/Activision acquistion situation. He points out how Sony may have self owned themselves with this. Even if they somehow block the sale, they'll have exposed internal documents to MS and brought a focus on their own exclusivity deals.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Squeenix pres stepping down, Company Director Takashi Kiryu will take over

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/03/square-enix-president-yosuke-matsuda-to-be-replaced-by-takashi-kiryu

Switch will take place in June pending board approval

After that Embracer sale, I don't see there being an issue. That was one of the biggest L's in recent gaming history.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Not to mention dudes push into NFTs has not been profitable and earned the company much ridicule. 

The company has a lot of failures recently. Avengers, Babylon's Fall, Left Alive, and Balan Wonderworld bombed. The FF7 battle royale shut down in a year, Guardians underperformed and they killed the studio behind Forspoken. He has been producing Ls all round

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Not to mention dudes push into NFTs has not been profitable and earned the company much ridicule. 

TBF, many companies pushed NFTs not necesarily because it was what the ceos wanted but because the chair of executive boards wanted.

The ceo's after all still have to answer to them.

I am not sayng he wanted or didn't want to push for it, just that there is always the possibility that it was something forced by the investors.

Another little detail I don't get about Diablo...and it's probably the same deal with other arpgs these days... why is the simple act of item trading such a difficult thing, or made non-existent now?  It just makes no sense to me...when you have so many things, or most of the good items being "Account Bound" or whatever.  That seems like you're actually removing part of the incentive to play with other people.  Back in the day this never seemed to be a big issue at all....you get a weapon or item drop that you don't need, or is just not relevant to your character/build----you could simply drop it for your friend if they want it.  This makes no sense to have all kinds of restrictions on that shit.  

It's *probably* an attempt to push more full "engagement" with the game from each player, I suspect...?  (*this is also the real reason I bet for why they want so badly to make everything online-only, even when a game has single-player modes.  If you're playing offline, you're not "engaged" with the "service"...you're not "in the store" and naturally they don't like that.)  When each one has to find their own stuff and not rely on hand-me-down gear from friends... naturally the person is more likely to put more time into the game....so yeah that's probably the ultimate goal there.  Whenever there's a question about anything with how a game is designed----it seemed like the answer is there if you just think from a "greedy publisher" perspective.  Basically, like older generations always told us----"follow the money".  Just ask yourself "what would be the greedy reason/angle?" ...and in a few seconds you'll see what is most likely the correct answer to the question.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, RSG3 said:

It's too bad Nintendo seems to have botched the physical release to Metroid Prime Remaster so badly. I've Ben to 3 places today and none of them it nor know when they will be getting more of it. Pretty disappointing. Might have to bybitndigital regardles....

You find it yet? I can mail you my copy if you're itching to play it. It's unopened. You can just hit me back when they get in stock again later. I couldn't wait so I ended up double dipping lol.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

heh, I look forward to watching this one  a bit later---I wanted this game sooo much back then...but could never find it, and eventually I just gave up trying to hunt it down.

Reminds me... the first DBZ fighting game I got to play was that first Budokai game in the GC/PS2 era....I had the Gamecube version.  It frustrated me that they had Zarbon in there but with no cape....almost like they did that specifically to annoy me and the other 20 or so Zarbon fans out there.  Later I got into DBZ Supersonic Warriors on GBA which was better in terms of the gameplay at least.  

On Thursday, Moon Beast Productions – an indie studio founded by Phil Shenk and Peter Hu, two former Blizzard North developers – announced the hiring of Diablo series co-creator Erich Schaefer. In an interview with GamesBeat, the studio said Schaefer will serve as lead creator director on a new action RPG. Details on the project are sparse, but what Moon Beast shared with Schaefer was reportedly enough to convince him to come out of retirement.

“We have ideas for changing the genre with a different approach to progression and trying to solve some of the problems that are beholden to PvE games, especially games, like the Diablo franchise has dealt with,” Shenk told GamesBeat. All three men worked on Diablo II. Notably, Shenk is credited as the game’s lead character artist, and was responsible for designing the appearance of a few of the game’s character classes, including the necromancer and assassin. Lord of Destruction, Diablo II’s excellent 2001 expansion, features a tribute to Shenk in the form of a monster you must slay to complete one of Act V’s quests.

Schaefer told GamesBeat Moon Beast currently employs about 12 people, making it smaller than many of the other studios working in the ARPG genre. The good news is Schaefer has plenty of experience leading small teams. At Runic Games, he made Torchlight with a team of about 25 people. "I want to work on projects that are fun and genuinely try to do something different," Schaefer said. "It’s impressive what the Moon Beast team has built in such a short time. It fired up my imagination with possibilities, and that's a huge part of why I wanted to come aboard."

14 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Checking at stuff on line and I'm not seeing any rumors or anything about this.  Where are you getting this from?

Saw something on YouTube. Definitely not a credible source.

The only articles I see when I googled Take Two aren't from any website I recognize, so it's probably bullshit. But there's a little chatter about it.

https://www.xfire.com/sony-preparing-buy-take-two-interactive/

I don't know any of these fucking sources lol.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Saw something on YouTube. Definitely not a credible source.

The only articles I see when I googled Take Two aren't from any website I recognize, so it's probably bullshit. But there's a little chatter about it.

https://www.xfire.com/sony-preparing-buy-take-two-interactive/

I don't know any of these fucking sources lol.

It's one thing for M$ to buy a big ass company like ActiBlizz and a completely different one for Sony to try to convince Take Two that they should go exclusive.  I don't believe Sony would be able to put the enough money on the table to make it worth Take-Two's while.  They've been making money hand over fist on GTA V alone with RDR, Borderlands, 2K, and Red Dead serious supplementing.    They don't have to put each year to make themselves relevant nearly with just the amount of money GTA V raking in alone with GTA VI looming within the next few years.  Yeah I'm not seeing it. 

Is it possible that they could be trying to talk to them?  Yeah sure, if anything has been shown in this industry for the past decade is that nothing is truly off the table.  I just don't think it's in the cards to happen at this moment.

32 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Put the word out, we back up

OH SHIT!  BOUGHT SO FUCKING FAST!  I've been waiting for this for SO GOD DAMN LONG.

Edit:  Please just take 3 and expand further on the combat, make the arena's even more destructible and give us decent internet connection...preferably rollback.   The characters will be there judging by the graphical style the presentation is going to be there too so I'm not concerned about that right now.  I want the first 3 things to be the most important.

Edited by Sonichuman