Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

31 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Lily is supposed to be related to T. Hawk right?

Didn't know if Cammy could rock shorter hair, but apparently she does (but I can't avoid comparing her to Blue Mary now)

Is one of my major gripes about her redesign, her silhouette is now one of the many "generic" blonde type, sporty clothes, jacket and short hair.

Take away any pic of her and make it just a black silhouette  and you don't know if is Cammy, Blue Mary, Android 18, or any other character that looks similarish.

At least they should have kept the braids, or a single long braid, as it is is meh.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

So did Metroid Prime Remastered physical get delayed everywhere?  Or is it just my region?  Ain't no stores have that shit in stock.

I got mine yesterday. So now I have two copies of the game. One digital and one physical. 

Just got the gravity suit last weekend and now it's time to visit the crash site and pick up the grappling hook if I remember correctly. Gonna eat some "goodies" and dive in tonight since I have a three day weekend.

So they're making Suicide Squad take place 5 years after Arkham Knight...Kinda weird but ok.  Also the gameplay for this game is not anywhere near what I was expecting.

Edit:...I'm getting a strange feeling I know why the Rocksteady founders left last year after watching the full presentation for this game.

Edited by Sonichuman
3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is one of my major gripes about her redesign, her silhouette is now one of the many "generic" blonde type, sporty clothes, jacket and short hair.

Take away any pic of her and make it just a black silhouette  and you don't know if is Cammy, Blue Mary, Android 18, or any other character that looks similarish.

At least they should have kept the braids, or a single long braid, as it is is meh.

I like her redesign if only because I feel like it marks some type of growth for her character since Bison is supposedly dead for good  (X for doubt but we'll go with it).  I don't disagree that her silhouette does look more generic now and I think the Capcom designers probably debated whether they should have kept her braids or not...reason I say that is because of her jacket.   They have 2 belts dangling from her jacket as kind of a way to make up for her not having the braids.  She at least still has the big ass bang coming out of her head so that helps.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I like her redesign if only because I feel like it marks some type of growth for her character since Bison is supposedly dead for good  (X for doubt but we'll go with it).  I don't disagree that her silhouette does look more generic now and I think the Capcom designers probably debated whether they should have kept her braids or not...reason I say that is because of her jacket.   They have 2 belts dangling from her jacket as kind of a way to make up for her not having the braids.  She at least still has the big ass bang coming out of her head so that helps.

I'm actually a huge fan of her new design, the Union Jack is awesome and the short hair looks sweet (kinda like Nina's new design).

I also think Silhouettes are really over rated, it's more important for your character to be recognizable when I actually see them then it is for them be recognizable when they shrouded in dark, a way I see them 0.1% of the time. 

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I'm actually a huge fan of her new design, the Union Jack is awesome and the short hair looks sweet (kinda like Nina's new design).

I also think Silhouettes are really over rated, it's more important for yoyr character to be recognizable when I actually see them then it is for them be recognizable when they shrouded in dark. 

Silhouettes can be overrated but it's a piece of the puzzle in recognizable character design.  That and the main colors that most people recognize/associate with in the character.  I have the same issue with what NRS did with Sonya character design wise in the reboot timeline in comparison to how she looked previously.  I thought Sonya was pretty instantly recognizable in the main timeline and even though I think they went too far with the ridiculous thong wedged in her ass during the Deadly/Dec/Arm arc...then whatever the fuck they did to her for MK9 followed by making her super bland in MKX and MK11.    There isn't any thing that pops out about her character design wise and despite some people's gripes on the female ninja's during the new timeline, they still pop with color and our pretty instantly recognizable to who they are.  Cammy still pops design wise in this game and still has elements that make her instantly recognizable which is one of the reasons I'm for the redesign. 

Oh I am so surprised that the Suicide Squad game is another pile of "online-only LOL!!!" shit.  That's 1 additional reason for me to disregard any notion of spending even 1 penny on that nonsense.  I look forward to the inevitable videos poking fun at that as the next major gaming dumpster fire to watch burn.  

Ugly characters and it's gimped by forever being tied to a company's servers?  Get all the way out of here with that mess.

Maybe it's just that younger people in general never think of the long-term implications... but it's forever strange to me that people are ok with spending money on a game that you will NOT be able to play on launch when the servers are shitty (*watch what happens with Diablo 4.  It will be a repeat of D3 in 2012)....or whenever there's maintenance....and of course...after it all gets shut down in about 2 to 3 years tops once it fails.

15 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Actually, because of the straps  that hang from her jacket, her silhouette hasn't really changed. Well, except for her being hatless.

Ok, while I am not near the end game yet, I think I have like 14 hours of play on Wild Hearts so far.

On those hours I have hunted all the kemonos that were available to me, and tested the weapons available to me (half of the weapons are locked for story reasons and are only available when you reach chapter 2, which I did yesterday at the end of my run)

The game is really, really fun, and at least on PS5, it seems that the issues people were having are mostly fixed.

There are still some performance dips when playing online here and there, which I assume are tied to the game loading all the constructs that the host of the session has on the area, since those stay for everyone.

Speaking of that, they do really open a lot of gameplay options in battle and for hunt planning.

Like, having the route for where the kemonos would flee already filled with traversal constructs to not give it room to breath and escape.

The areas feel more varied and open than MHW, and with the constructs, it seems you can use them in your favor for your hunts, like traversing a building up to the top, so you can jump on a kemono for a surprise attack and stuff like that.

The weapons I had access so far, are really fun to use.

The game is less restrictive than Monster Hunter in terms of points where you can cancel the attack animation, this combined with how quick the attacks feel makes it feel more snapy, and this is without using your constructs to cancel your animations, which is an option you have.

For what I have seen my friends do with the weapons they unlocked when unlocking chapter 2, they seem to be very interesting as well.

There is one in particular that looks really good, which is the Claw Blade, that weapon looks like is the equivalent of the Insect Glaive from MHW onwards in terms of aerial combat options.

One weapon that I liked a lot, but is on the hard end is the umbrella, is the only weapon with a parry, and as you can assume the difficulty comes in learning when you can parry a kemono and how to capitalize on it.

I can't really speak of the sets and builds yet, cuz early game is as usual a very different beast from end game, so right now, I can only say that is what you would expect.

Although, I think that compared to MH, WH pushes you into paying attention to your equipment very early on.

In the 1st area all the kemonos you fight are plant type, and for the story in the second area they ask you to fight a fire ape that you will inevitably be at disadvantage due the sets from the 1st area putting you at a -15 to -20 fire resistance.

So you are forced to go and hunt the other monsters in the area before doing the story mission.

Speaking of him, holy fuck.

One thing that can be a negative for some and a positive for others is how aggressive the kemonos are.

At the beginning I was thinking it was mostly me being so accustomed to MH in general, specially to having all my end game gear and the monsters patterns, and already having my battle plans down to the T, and now me having to learn all the weapons and the kemonos attacks and patterns, but no, they are indeed more aggressive for the part of the game you are.

That monkey is the 4th or 5th kemono you fight for the story, and the mother fucker is drop kicking you from one side to another and doing some really dumb shit, lol.

I know that as I learn the weapons, the constructs and the monsters the matchups will feel better, but in that regard, I think that the battles could be seen as not very fine tuned than MH, since It can be seen that they are mostly designed to be fought by multiple people than doing it solo.

(As I see it, that monkey is very likely a wakeup call for the players to start engaging with all the mechanics in the game, not that you were not being lead to that with the other kemonos that are also quite aggressive)

I also think that they are designed this way because you simply have more options and freedom than MH.

I personally don't really have a problem, since I have been playing creature hunting games and action games for years, but for a newcomer to the genre it could be a deal breaker.

Luckily, it seems like the matchmaking is really good in this game, so you always have the option to summon other players for help in case you are having troubles with a kemono.

All of those are still early thoughts based on the early hours of the game.

As we all know, end game usually changes the formula a lot, so I expect to have some extra thoughts later on.

Also, I would say that with all the mechanics and its own gameplay flow, the game doesn't feel derivative, and instead feels like an evolution or alternative to what MH offers.

One that doesn't invalidate it, but opens the possibilities of what we can see in the genre.

Imo, in terms of flow of the combat, it sits in the middle between what MH does and what character action games do with the options given to the player.

Edit

Something I forgot to add, the presentation and the music are really good.

I wouldn't deny that i would have liked if the style was more similar to Toukiden, but it is good.

I have seen some people saying it feels too much like MHW, and maybe I can see it with the humans, but the kemonos and the world are very unique.

Edited by Hecatom

So I'm really liking Theatrhythm Final Bar Line. But dang, the dragging of the green curved triggers is tricky without a touch screen. If you're playing the Switch version, don't even think of using the JoyCons. Matter of fact, any controller with drift is sure to net you a number of Bad on green triggers. I'm playing on Basic to get back into the swing of things. 

50 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Nintendo gives the 100% confirmation that they will not be at E3 this year, says that they still support the ESA and E3 though.

https://venturebeat.com/games/nintendo-confirms-it-wont-be-at-e3-2023/

citing the show didn't fit in with its plans this year...whatever that means.

Nintendo is going to be at PAX East though. I really wonder how much longer E3 will be around. This year seems to be the near death knell. 

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

It's already been leaked that classic costumes will be available in some capacity, this includes Cammy.

Peeps mad they have to pay for exposed booty cheeks 😉

From a character design, yes silhouette is harder to recognize for Cammy and from a perspective of newer players her look is modernized but makes her in a lineup a bit more generic. I don't hate the new look but I'm not a Cammy player so it's whatever to me. 

6 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Peeps mad they have to pay for exposed booty cheeks 😉

From a character design, yes silhouette is harder to recognize for Cammy and from a perspective of newer players her look is modernized but makes her in a lineup a bit more generic. I don't hate the new look but I'm not a Cammy player so it's whatever to me. 

Huh? Did you say something fam? I was distracted.

image-1.png

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

The cheeks don't invalidate that the re design is mediocre.

I never was overly attached to her OG design. It's just a Beret, swimsuit, and combat boots. It part of the reason Cammy is cosplayed so often. It's a low effort costume with bare cheeks, instant clicks.  😉 Her Alpha design is a little goofy but I preferred it to the OG. Seemed less basic. I wanted her SFV battle costume to be her default personally. That was my favorite Cammy design. The current one is up there for me. I won't say it's favorite yet, it's too new.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Snip

My point is not about the old design being better, but the fact that we went from a design that for better or worse was iconic to a design that is peak mediocrety of modern character design.

Short hair, gym clothes and jacket, what an amazing design 🙄

It is so mediocre that is what you see in shit like the Saints Reboot

What do you think of Neenah? : r/SaintsRow

At least with the other redesigns on both SFV and SF6 you have elements that still manage to evoke part of what made the characters become iconic with time.

With Cammy you have none of it.

At least capcom had the restraint of not giving her a fade in hair cut.

I couldn't disagree harder, her new look is leagues above her old stupid leotard one she had to paint camo on legs because even she recognized her outfits tactical value was 0 and over all fucking dumb lol. Never liked her old look aside from the tails which she doesn't need anyway. She's far more defined by her moveset then her visual design anyway. 

Edited by RSG3