Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

16 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Did the Wii version of Metroid Prime have the increased FoV? Because in the comparison vids of the Remaster and GC versions, that's one of the most significant improvements. It makes it so much more immersive.

Also, love that they kept it locked 60 fps, same as the original.

Everything was made widescreen for Prime 1 and 2 in the Trilogy but I'm not 100%? on whether they actually increased the FoV or just chopped off a bit of the top and bottom half and called it a day.  I might be able to find something that talks about it.

Looking at this video which I've timestamped...it looks like it's probably more so the latter than the former.

If you can freeze frame it at 10:14 right as Samus lands it looks like the camera is more zoomed in. 

Looks like the mainstream people are actually starting to wake up and realize that VG music isn't a series of boops and beeps anymore.  Took them long enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if years from now people will hear something on the radio that they really like and then find out its actually from a game and it ends up changing their whole world view.

extra

Edited by Sonichuman
20 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Everything was made widescreen for Prime 1 and 2 in the Trilogy but I'm not 100%? on whether they actually increased the FoV or just chopped off a bit of the top and bottom half and called it a day.  I might be able to find something that talks about it.

Looking at this video which I've timestamped...it looks like it's probably more so the latter than the former

Yeah, the Wii version looks more claustrophobic. I'm not seeing that with the Remaster. From what I've seen it looks like they actually widened it.

I don't know how to timestamp, but if you look at 2:22, 3:06, and 5:52 you can see the comparison.

Man, I'm having a really hard time waiting for the physical version. I really want to play this. Anyone get it on digital yet?

Nintendo says they are going to determine $70 price on a case by case basis

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-will-determine-70-price-on-case-by-case-basis

Eh...this is obvious testing the waters and there's no way they aren't going to see the sales from TotK as positive feedback even if people don't agree with the price.  The only way it wouldn't is if TotK is somehow a complete shit show and the sales of the game are significantly lower than BotW.

12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Nintendo says they are going to determine $70 price on a case by case basis

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-will-determine-70-price-on-case-by-case-basis

Eh...this is obvious testing the waters and there's no way they aren't going to see the sales from TotK as positive feedback even if people don't agree with the price.  The only way it wouldn't is if TotK is somehow a complete shit show and the sales of the game are significantly lower than BotW.

As someone that dealt with $70 plus game prices in the 90s. I'm kind meh about it. The $70 for Ocarina of Time on N64 was a bit tough for 18 year old college student but even then it was the norm. My issue with games is less to do with the MSRP and more to do with being nickeled and dimed after I buy a game.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Looks like the mainstream people are actually starting to wake up and realize that VG music isn't a series of boops and beeps anymore.  Took them long enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if years from now people will hear something on the radio that they really like and then find out its actually from a game and it ends up changing their whole world view.

My Grandfather could be a real snob, and he'd always shit on Video games as being garbage entertainment with 0 redeeming value. He loved Classical and instrumental music. One of my favorite things to do before he passed was put on video game music at his house and eventually he would be like

"This is really good, whats this from?"

"Oh it's from a videogame series called Final Fantasy."

He'd always go quiet for a minute and just listen to the music lol. Never was able to really get him to come around on the games but he jammed to a good chunk of game music without ever knowing it lol.

I’m surprised I’m writing this, but so far I actually like the story of the series more than the game. I’ve liked the changes they’ve done so far. The series gives me hope that season 2 will be better than the game. I think that’s especially the case since when Last of Us was made, I don’t think they knew ahead of time there would be a part 2 and couldn’t integrate the story with part 1 as well. 

sheeeittt, we got some exploits incoming....

I'll probably take advantage before they "fix" this

Fextralife has also been coming thru with the build guides as usual:

oh, and Raxx has his Diablo 3 tier list ready for the upcoming season, I see...

27 is still in effect at the moment; this is probably the last few days of it... I just beat a GR 121 (the payout is 106 billion xp!) with my necro (death nova build), which in this season has easily been the most OP character I've ever played in the game so far.

**funny thing---I noticed some people ranked below my spot on the leaderboards that had modded gear equipped 😆  They're not cheating hard enough, obviously; my character is all legit, baby.

*sheeeittt... I still laugh when I remember an old friend who claimed (when trying it since "Solo GR 20" is one of the early seasonal challenges) "mannnn Greater Rift 20 is just impossible, dude..." 🤣  gr20 is the equivalent of Torment 4 difficulty, btw (top regular difficulty outside GRs is 16.)

Edited by MillionX
9 hours ago, JGreen said:

I’m surprised I’m writing this, but so far I actually like the story of the series more than the game. I’ve liked the changes they’ve done so far. The series gives me hope that season 2 will be better than the game. I think that’s especially the case since when Last of Us was made, I don’t think they knew ahead of time there would be a part 2 and couldn’t integrate the story with part 1 as well. 

Neil Druckmann is using the series to correct the narrative mistakes of the game. He's really making the most of the second chance. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Biggest improvement: "Game will include Japanese VA only."

I'm not one of those "turn my nose up at English VA" dudes. The English VA in Baten Kaitos was atrocious. It was like they heard Resident Evil 1 and said "That'll do."

im pretty sure i have a youtube video of a boss fight in enternal wings and the whole comment section is people talking shit about the voice acting and then one of the voice actors shows up in the comments to defend themselves its pretty wild now that i think about it.

I played Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon when it first hit in EA and it was real clunky.  I thought it was real pretty but I hated the way the shit felt.  I should try it now that its had its full release.  Probably a lot of improvements/updates since I last played it.

[Stealth release] game of the year is Hi-Fi Rush.  Shit is pretty dope and no one even knew it was coming.  If you haven't played it you should.

2 hours ago, Lantis said:

I was totally  unaware that Jeffrey Pierce played Tommy in the LoU game series. Should we expect a Troy Baker cameo soon?

I think Troy and Ashley are in the series in some capacity.  Don't know how though.

Also...

oh boy....

So speaking of this...Hbomberguy apparently put this on his patreon

Since I forgot to post about it here, as you probably saw, the Oof video went up for everyone else. It has, uh, exploded, in a way I wasn't fully prepared for. As a result, a lot of people have reached out with more stories and interesting notes. Somewhat shockingly, upon a close fact-checking by knowledgeable parties, my main mistake appears to have been giving Tommy too much credit. I don't normally do follow-up videos but one feels inevitable for this. I'm going to put it off for a little bit, just to make sure Tommy has time to respond if he wants to (or if he can, lol).

So...I'm super intrigued by this.  After watching that video this man is saying some how he gave Tommy TOO much credit?  Bruh....What does that even LOOK like?

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman
9 hours ago, Camacho said:

Bought Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon a few months ago and just fired it up yesterday.  Beautiful game dripping with atmosphere, getting my ass kicked so far though. 

I just picked this game back up last week after getting kind of frustrated with it last year and I'm really enjoying it. There's something satisfying about the combat and the stages, enemies, bosses, and overall art style are absolutely fantastic. I finally got to the end of Apprentice mode a couple nights ago so now I'm grinding Commoner trying to actually finish the game.

It's interesting to me that roguelikes have become popular because they hearken back to old school arcade difficulty, but are actually MORE difficult in some ways.

3 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I played Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon when it first hit in EA and it was real clunky.  I thought it was real pretty but I hated the way the shit felt.  I should try it now that its had its full release.  Probably a lot of improvements/updates since I last played it.

[Stealth release] game of the year is Hi-Fi Rush.  Shit is pretty dope and no one even knew it was coming.  If you haven't played it you should.

Can't speak for how it played prior to now, but something I didn't catch right away was how the upgrade/leveling system works. Looking at a quick introduction guide along with the in game explanations  (found in the pause menu) helped. I wasn't using the soul eater system at first, which obviously made things a lot tougher, as that's your main leveling (or potion recovery)  method. Also, the weapon upgrades you unlock have to be activated at the shops before they actually do anything. You probably already knew that stuff, but I figured it's worth mentioning just in case you missed it like I did. 

16 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

better quality version

Yup!

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Here's another one:

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

Edit:  There is actually a horrible martial arts film out there with Bill Blanks in it...

Thought the worst fighting game was Death Cargo

Nah actually if the game would actually exist then Death Cargo might actually be good.

Edited by Jion_Wansu