Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

53 minutes ago, Skort said:

Never knew, thank you for the insight. 

He definitely has a role to play in 6 i agree. 

Not sure if playable later on or some sort of mini boss you get to fight in the open world mode the game will feature, they didn't zoom in on him in the trailer for no reason.

You're welcome

Not only they zoom on him, but key there is they zoom on Mad Gear Gang too

My 2cents is that as we speak considering all elements we got, first arc of SF6 story will involve the return of MGG, wich will give them the excuse of make Sodom return too (who ever wanted resurrect MGG, was him to involve Retu as final boss of FF2) + somebody being new Leader

We can also see better new Damn D design here, feels very detailed compared to usual NPCs

damnd

2 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

funny I felt the exact opposite 

Having his wife or son DIE feels like a cheap, heavy handed way to make him change

This angle they're going with, that he's become bitter with his lack of perceived improvement and drove off people close to him because of his obsession, is way more interesting to me. It makes it clear that his situation is his own fault, and in all the time we've known Ken we haven't seen or heard a lot about his faults 

Its a great angle for exploring someone's dark side, shits all over ryu wrestling with whether or not he should hit dudes hard or reeeeeally hard

Good point, I didn't think of it coming from the inside and he himself pushing everyone away. It'd be like the non-anime version of Ryu's Satsui no Hado arc, the grounded, realistic inner devil that pulls him down because he can't keep up.

Could be interesting also, but it's way harder to pull off convincingly than a revenge story though.

5 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Could be interesting also, but it's way harder to pull off convincingly than a revenge story though.

It's not *that* hard. The problem is that unlike Ryu, who spent like, his entire life focused only on martial arts, Ken had the family business and family to take care.

You can't even pull a Majin Vegeta situation with him because for all intents and purposes, every moment he was shown with his family, he was in a happy and supportive environment. Hell, his prologue in IV is all about Eliza actively telling him to chill and go to the tournament to see Ryu because he wanted to but was too worried about her pregnancy.

They're derailing his story pretty hard tbh. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree having Ken just push people away makes the story of his struggle much more compelling. I feel like the overwhelming majority of the characters either get easy power ups or just train and don’t really struggle to get better. It’ll be nice to see someone frustrated that they’re hitting a plateau and falling behind. 

There is a couple interesting paths they could take with this and I’m excited to see as someone who normally pays Ken no mind. 

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I agree having Ken just push people away makes the story of his struggle much more compelling. I feel like the overwhelming majority of the characters either get easy power ups or just train and don’t really struggle to get better. It’ll be nice to see someone frustrated that they’re hitting a plateau and falling behind. 

There is a couple interesting paths they could take with this and I’m excited to see as someone who normally pays Ken no mind. 

Yeah, it's an interesting story point, even though Ken was a bad pick for it.

I'm too jaded to think they'll actually write that well in practice after SFV's story mode though.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Capcom can't even admit Jamie drinking alcohol, So divorce is kinda too much for a modern SF game to tackle

I was thinking that it might be that JP is responsible for Ken loss of financial assets and the guy being tied with secret society also.

Or probably Ken's family is being kidnap or something that's why he ended up like that, Just like in ties that bind but the situation here is more critical.

I don't really think divorce is something Capcom would put on Ken's story and SF game. Capcom is more on retiring Ken than deconstructing his character with divorce.

Edited by Shakunetsu
5 minutes ago, Volt said:

They're derailing his story pretty hard tbh. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I disagree…I think it’s a pretty natural place for his character to end up, and if anything I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. You said yourself Ken runs a business and has a family. He doesn’t have time to eat, think, and breathe martial arts the way someone like Ryu does. It’s natural he’ll fall behind at some point. But Ken is also shown to be competitive and often even cocky as a fighter. I imagine he wouldn’t take it well even he met up with Ryu or some other familiar fighter and got hit shit completely rocked. Not hard to imagine him spending more and more time trying to get back into peak shape and paying less attention to his other obligations until it reaches a tipping point.

The funny thing is that Ken could easily represent real life older/family man SF players taken to its most unhealthy extreme. Maybe I’m projecting but I can relate to being frustrated I’m not as good as other people who have way more time to commit to a hobby than me. I can also relate to being frustrated about a perceived lack of improvement. 

3 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

All this really means is that we getting Violent Ken 🥴

This is the number 1 thing I’m afraid of. Granted, it would be 100% more believable to see someone succumb to the dark hado like this than it is seeing Ryu rage out after getting his ass beat. But honestly I just want a break from the SnH stuff. Of the main 3 shotos I’ve always liked that Ken was the one who never struggled with it at all. 

Actually if I recall correctly Violent Ken wasn’t SnH stuff but I think my point still stands.

Violent Ken will most likely be a what if, he probably won't actually insist in the canon as anything other than a concept.

I see Ken's story ending with him gaining his fighting spirit again and overcoming as usual. May even end up being Mel or Sean who whips him back into shape 

11 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Actually if I recall correctly Violent Ken wasn’t SnH stuff but I think my point still stands.

It's more of brainwashed ken by psycho power just like the dolls, they even have the same teleport and aura

4 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I really hope that they do Evil Ryu and Violent Ken like they should be.
A costume for Ryu and Ken and not a waste of a character slot.

On flashback stories like in SF2 timeline(a nod to UltraSf2) not in present  and implemented just like Nightmare Geese Costume

Edited by Shakunetsu

Honestly i am curios how they will handle the control type when it comes to balance and matchmaking.  

controls.jpg

Specials with simplified controls for all characters , ED and Falke style more or less.

specials.jpg

Auto combos by basically pressing a single button :  

combos.jpg 

The questions are

• How effective will these attacks be ?  I can't see these being the same strenght as doing them  with the normal input or it would be damn unfair towards the other player that choses classic type control inputs.
  • Will the matchmaking pair  both type of users ? Or only  modern vs modern  and   classic vs classic ?   Option to be matched only with a single version ? 
  • Again, balance, how effective will these be really ? Just less damage on specials or worst frame data ? Cammy instant dive kick by pressing a single button or two ? 
  • Are we going to have leagues  and ranks that only allow you to join if you only use a certain type of controls ? 

I'm all in for bring new players into the franchise, the community and playerbase needs to grow, but not quite sure how this will affect the players in the long run.

40 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Add the appropriate VFX and maybe some unique dialogue and you have a deal. Would be a great way to have “premium” costumes.

Yes SFV already has unique win dialogue for specific costume that the best way to cash that edge lord without messing character slot ang making the default versions of their character obsolete 

3 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I can easily imagine online trolls having a field day with some weird character who has a weird special that ends up being really good online when you can do it with a single button.

I wonder if they're gonna allow simple input players to play in ranked.

Hope you ready, they added both of these guys for a reason. 

tumblr_l6sbmmmwea1qzj5ggo1_500.gifv

f819ea3beb91df8ebd95476bb6bb8d23_f2ad5bc

25 minutes ago, Skort said:

Honestly i am curios how they will handle the control type when it comes to balance and matchmaking.  

14 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I can easily imagine online trolls having a field day with some weird character who has a weird special that ends up being really good online when you can do it with a single button.

I wonder if they're gonna allow simple input players to play in ranked.

I just hope this wouldn't end up like it would turn into some kind of ISM or GROOVE,

Selectable Ism/groove problem or 3s Super Art problem to evolved into Selectable Control thing META.

That when there are too many characters later on. And it would ended up that some specific character would take the control type as some kind of a meta.

Edited by Shakunetsu
53 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I disagree…I think it’s a pretty natural place for his character to end up, and if anything I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. You said yourself Ken runs a business and has a family. He doesn’t have time to eat, think, and breathe martial arts the way someone like Ryu does. It’s natural he’ll fall behind at some point.

This is one of most common fake facts people in SF community keep repeat tbh, and contradict what canon say lol

Ken is not some middle-class dad with fulltime job sucking his life lol

Reality is Ken lifestyle is far more close to real-life highest level professional fighters than Ryu's is, and in fact Ken still competed (up to SF3) in highest level of martial arts tournaments avaible and was the "all american martial arts Champion" or something (same title Nash had before SFA events)

Have the money to have his own gym with best shit, get quality sparring partners, best food and doctors

Ryu is described to have to actual need to work here and there to gain money and even Zangief told him his lifestyle (poor food) it's not optimal for the body lol

And beyond that was told that Ken's biggest source of strenght is his family

Chip on his shoulder is not being as good as Ryu, wich is not going to change, Ken got to eat that shonen anime hero logic, specially if post-SFV Ryu is no more slowed-down by SnH shit

Oro is probably the best character to value the potential of a fighter, and on whole SF3 cast his interest got high only for Ryu and Gill, considering them around same level

While meeting Ken, he was like:

"I could train you to be better but... Who is that friend of yours?"

Sit and watch whole SF6 Ken arc having Ken realize that best version of himself (as fighter too) is family Ken.

Maybe they will take some cheap way to show it, like some villain kidnapping Eliza and Mel

Wich is not even casual, considering canon wise Ken begin as a fighter was his own family (parents as kid) being close to break

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

A costume for Ryu and Ken and not a waste of a character slot.

Absolutely absent from the game as a big middle finger to trash taste people.

I mean, not going to happen, but one can dream 🥲

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

Come to think of it... that's what NRS does for alts, right?

That has happened in every NRS game in some way.

MK9: Sub-Zero has an alt that gives him a different voice actor and intro line. It’s to show you’re playing the older brother that was in MK1 and not the younger one who would be Sub-Zero in the following games.

Injustice: Good Superman and Evil Superman would have different intros and outros. The Cyborg Superman alt has a robotic filter over his voice. Green Lantern/Hal Jordan has an alt where he’s a Yellow Lantern. It changes his attacks to yellow, the location for his super is different, and he has a different outro. Another Green Lantern, John Stewart, is also an alt with a different voice actor.

MKX: Revenant/Zombie versions of characters have unique lines in their intros. Hanzo Hasashi, an alive Scorpion, also has unique intros the other costumes don’t have.

Injustice 2: Like the John Stewart skin in the first game, there are now several premium skins that change the character but keeps the same moveset. They’d have different lines and voice actors. Superman has a Bizarro skin, Captain Cold has a Mr. Freeze skin, Raiden had a Black Lightning skin, etc. 

MK11: This is sadly downplayed in this game. Despite the time travel shenanigans and revenants everyone, there are no unique lines between skins. Which leads to situations like an evil Liu Kang promising to protect the world and an Older and Wiser Johnny hitting on his daughter. The past Vs the future and good Vs evil only gets brought up in mirror matches.

Though they did later add skins based off the first movie and gave them Raiden, Johnny, and Sonya. It would change their look and their voices were actually the actors who played them. And they also gave Sub-Zero a skin based off Demetri Vegas, a DJ who remixed the MK theme for MK11’s trailers. His voice acting is not good.

Just now, Skort said:

Well , she got kidnapped before and Cody is now a mayor, that makes her an extra important target if they wanna get to him.

Jessica would be better off just not being in metro city if being kidnapped again was a concern. Not to mention the disguise wouldn't actually protect her from a kidnapping if getting to Cody is the goal. She's an important member of his cabinet afterall

5 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Lore wise I agree he should be capable of doing it but I kinda like that move being unique to Evil Ryu. It’s like the only thing that makes him remotely distinct

But he has an air dash, power dunk, and air fireball. I would honestly prefer his moveset go to an unique character rather than being evil version of preexisting character. Not trying to see Ryu become Goku and Kyo where are multiple versions of a single character. 

Ryu with the stomps would be great gameplay wise but would probably feel weird lore wise. Evil Ryu having the really aggressive move makes sense for him as a character.

That said hopefully hadoukens aren't ass in this game. Don't think Ryu is the type of fighter that would do "cheap" stuff like the stomp. Donkey Kick fits him better.

Hot take though: They should let Light Donkey kick leave people standing up and have ryu at +2/+3 so he gets pressure from it. 👀

Evil Ryu had similar moves to Akuma for a reason. It's the style manifested by the satsui.

Ryu has overcome that so in my opinion he should get nothing of the sorts moving forward. I'm all in for giving Ryu more stuff and see him evolving as a character but do so in a way that makes sense. 

Give him  more moves that are similar to what Gouken had or what Oro had, not the exact same moves but influenced by these two characters in a way since Ryu received training from both. Detach him as much as possible from the satsui no hado because it's long overdue.