Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

QOo4FLO.jpg

A summit in Japan for Bison players and loyalists. Where all the Psycho Power in the world will gather to discuss the future of Street Fighter and its one true Master. I'm not even totally kidding here.

You can hate all you want but other than Makoto players and Juri's feet enthusiasts who the fuck does that for their character? #Justice4Shadaloo #Injustice4All #SF6DLC

I support Bison's return, in season 5 or 6

On 6/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, Phantom_Miria said:

Ian "Black Africans from Africa aren't black enough" Walker strikes again.

You really have to understand the complicated nuance here: Ian is your typical white colonizer, and thus while he doesn't have a problem anymore accepting African-Americans as black people, he still tends to perceive actual Africans from Africa not as black people but rather as part of the local wildlife. Like lions or antelopes, thus making Elena more similar to a Blanka-like character or a Talbain-like character to him. This is a typical white European mistake to make, the spirit of Cecil Rhodes must still run strong within him, so please be understanding toward Ian and don't be a conservative culture warrior by making him notice it.

My rule of thumb when running across this sort of things is always to look at the new design and ask myself: "Does it look like this design is actually trying to tone down on sexuality, or is it just the developers trying to make a new design and people are paranoid?"

I-No's redesign in Strive for example wasn't meant to tone down anything at all.

If ArcSys wanted to make I-No less sexual they wouldn't have come up with a redesign that shows more skin compared to her older design. They also wouldn't have made that part in story mode where I-No turns into a giant spirit thing like Rei in End of Evangelion, and you can clearly see how jacked up her proportions are with tits and hips the size of planetary objects. An attempt at toning down stuff, this doesn't look like.

MK11's designs wanted to tone down the female cast and openly so, and you could see it by the fact that the outfits were much more conservative even compared to the male cast who didn't change that much. You could also notice weird stuff like the fact that, even when there were some slightly more revealing outfits, in the early versions of the game these could be used only on characters with revenant skins and Cetrion, or in other words, there were some slightly more revealing outfits but only the characters with non-human skin tones could use them. I recall noticing that back in the day and I thought it was really weird.

By the time Sindel came out however NRS seems to have relented, and I'm pretty sure that in the current version of the game the revenant clothes are usable on human-looking characters too.

Cammy in SFVI, like I-No, is obviously not an attempt at toning down sexuality. If they wanted to do that Capcom wouldn't have given her ultra-adherent spandex, a juicy midriff and that super animation. They just gave Cammy the same "street fashion" design that every other character has also going on, that's all. I think it's generally overdesigned and too busy-looking, but this is the mood they wanted for this game, so...

As long as they keep the classic costumes available Capcom should be free to try to innovate and change as much as they want.

MK11 was definitely explicit in its toning down, although MK was always more sexualized cause it was seen as SF's more "mature" for "adults only" fighting game. And a game so mainstream these days, where society's perception towards sexualized characters has definitely shifted, plus them being a western company, they were bound to fold.

I dont think SF is anywhere near that level of censorship, if anything I think they just want more money to sell the sexy costumes as DLC. However I still think censoring Mika's super was dumb, she wasnt being sexual with her slap, it was just cheeky, no pun intended. One thing I do appreciate about SFV is they made the female sexy, while bringing out the muscle definition. I'm a bit disappointed with Chun, her definition seems to be gone in-game, hopefully they will tone her up.

As for Ian, well I think he's just spewing out whatever the activists tell him to. I really had no idea there was this division between blacks from Africa and blacks from USA until I read the so called "diversity manager" on RE talking about how Kimberly is the first Black female in SF, but not the first black female. Apparently if you capitalize Black it means you're black from America. I swear these people keep inventing new stuff and lingo and expect the rest of us to keep up with their insane rules. No, Kimberly isn't the first black female in SF, period. That's just insulting to black africans, who share your skin color. Yes your experiences are different from a black american, but the same can be said for white americans and white europeans, etc. Just seems silly to me. More unecessary tribalism and division.

Edited by mykka
58 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Cammy and Juri are dropping rap mix tapes now?

I'm wondering how they will write Juri in SF6, she went from a villain, to a sort of anti-hero character, I wonder if she'll evolve further.

Maybe that's why they're bringing in another female villain (AKI) since Juri is retiring lol, and Kolin isnt back.

Juri is more or less chaotic neutral now,i think it's an ok choice to her because this gives Capcom room to pretty much include her in most scenarios if they want to. 

So she can help Cammy for example but will have no problem stepping on your head if she feels like it. Character is pretty much a wildcard, i think it suits her personality.

2 minutes ago, mykka said:

I'm wondering how they will write Juri in SF6, she went from a villain, to a sort of anti-hero character, I wonder if she'll evolve further.

Maybe that's why they're bringing in another female villain (AKI) since Juri is retiring lol, and Kolin isnt back.

Probably. Although she does fit well as a female villain representative. M:TG did some goofy stuff with a female villain. They basically killed another character just for the purpose of making this one character "good" because she looked cool.

Its funny how all this gender stuff gets tossed around, but nobody wants to actually talk about how its impossible to have female villains anymore. Only people allowed to be villains are male. Its super dumb.

20 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I need more AKI fanart

Out of all the newcomers, I'm interested in AKI and Lily the most. JP looks amazing too, but I'm not so sure he'll play that interesting. How many times can you reinvent psycho power?

17 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Probably. Although she does fit well as a female villain representative. M:TG did some goofy stuff with a female villain. They basically killed another character just for the purpose of making this one character "good" because she looked cool.

Is that liliana vess?

Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

I dunno, JP does female villians all the time.

I think the west has just a hard time doing something other than the same thing I've done since the 80s.

Also making female villians nowadays is sexist, because of course it is.

To be fair they used too make female villains also in disney movies in the 80s bases from fairy tales haha

1 minute ago, Shakunetsu said:

Is that liliana vess?

Nissa. She came from one of the video game versions of MTG. Her deal is that when she first planeswalked, she went to Llorwyn, home of the cuntiest elves who ever lived. With the help of a bunch of elves who hate anything that's ugly (and by their definition everything non-elf was ugly), she became Elf Hitler.

Problem is that she is a big titty elf chick and new people couldn't handle liking Big Titty Female Hitler. So they wrote a bunch of convoluted nonsense to get make her "good" for marketing purposes.

Same thing happened with Lilliana. But Liliana is legit just a piece of shit person. Kind of hilarious tbh.

50 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Its funny how all this gender stuff gets tossed around, but nobody wants to actually talk about how its impossible to have female villains anymore. Only people allowed to be villains are male. Its super dumb.

It’s something I like to call the Harley Quinn effect. Writers figured out it’s hard to present a female character as sympathetic if they’re crippling kids or blowing up hospitals. So they just make them an anti-hero and have them flip flop over alignment but usually face off worse people than them. 

That being said, there are a few unambiguous female villains in fighting games. Kazumi and Nina from Tekken, I-no from Guilty Gear, Izanami from Blazblue, NRS Sindel, Mileena, and Kronika in Mortal Kombat, Shermie in King of Fighters, Double, Eliza, and most likely Black Dahlia in Skullgirls, and Kolin in Street Fighter.

Edited by BornWinner
1 minute ago, BornWinner said:

It’s something I like to call the Harley Quinn effect. Writers figured out it’s hard to present a female character as sympathetic if they’re crippling kids or blowing up hospitals. So they just make them an anti-hero and have them flip flop over alignment but usually face off worse people than them. 

That being said, there are a few unambiguous female villains in fighting games. Kazumi and Nina from Tekken, I-no from Guilty Gear, NRS Sindel, Mileena, and Kronika in Mortal Kombat, Shermie in King of Fighters, Double, Eliza, and most likely Black Dhalia in Skullgirls, and Kolin in Street Fighter.

Kolin is ambiguous as villain as you can get, she BELIEVE Gill is the saviour, from her perspective she's working for the good side

She have a mean side, but she's not a pure villain

1 hour ago, mykka said:

I dont think SF is anywhere near that level of censorship, if anything I think they just want more money to sell the sexy costumes as DLC. However I still think censoring Mika's super was dumb, she wasnt being sexual with her slap, it was just cheeky, no pun intended. One thing I do appreciate about SFV is they made the female sexy, while bringing out the muscle definition. I'm a bit disappointed with Chun, her definition seems to be gone in-game, hopefully they will tone her up.

The thing with Mika and Cammy changed animations in early SFV I recall had less to do with creative changes and more with plain old having to cover shit up because this or that rating board threw a hissy fit. That's a different issue and one that is as old as time, and rating boards or esport organization are known to be able to get obsessed over the dumbest of stuff.

SFV's creatives definitely didn't get any tamer after that, so it definitely wasn't a change made because someone imposed a different vision on the team.

I also thoroughly agree on the muscle definition thing.

I hope Chun-Li's model gets some polishing before release. So far it's decent, but it can be improved.

Edited by Phantom_Miria
20 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Same.

Do we have a realistic guess for the launch window yet?   Xmas?

That late? I'd have said February or March so that it coincides with CPT. Though hopefully they are smart enough to delay it if it isn't ready and don't force it out the door just to make that deadline à la SFV.

Edited by delete_me
51 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Modern western female villains are shit because they always have to be redeemable somehow. They have to be coerced or force into their evil. Like women can't be pieces of shit of their own accord. 

I blame the trappings of needing the chars to be relatable.

Leaving aside the clear stupidity of modern day politics, many writers and sadly viewers think that a character, be villain or hero, needs to be relatable to work even worse when is also "quirky", because that shit plagues a lot of shit nowdays.

This limits what you can do with said characters.

Of course, I am not talking about all works of fiction, but is something that is happening in many instances.

I like what the creator of Rick and Morty said (regardless if you like Rick and Morty), that is better to create fascinating characters than relatable, since this allows to explore and give more depth to said characters.

Kind of like what happens with Death Note for example, where the characters Light and L are certainly not relatable, being super geniuses with very sociopathic tendencies.

Yet, they captivated the minds of people because they were interesting.

In contrast, you can see that Deathflix end in said trappings.

Changing Light into the stereotypical nerd that we see every fucking time in media.