Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Mena Won Evo Japan!

12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

@Phantom_Miriawhat is Manon’s b.mk>mk target combo for?

First hit kinda works as an anti-air, although obviously Manon has better stuff available, and it combos in the second hit that's a cancelable overhead.

I haven't yet managed to integrate it in my gameplan, but I've seen other Manons using it with Drive Rush. If they hit with the first attack the whole thing becomes a guaranteed combo, if the first hit is blocked but the second hits because they were blocking low then you cancel into drive rush and combo, and even if they block everything you still cancel into Drive Rush and get plus frames and a mixup.

I guess you can also not use for Drive Rush and instead go for special confirms off the overhead. I think it's definitely interesting if you manage to get in range to use it.

6 hours ago, delete_me said:

I was doing some Guile trials yesterday when I remembered there was a bit of a discussion around his frame perfect Sonic Booms at some point. I think in practice this really is a non-issue, I actually had to deliberately use a different timing than I'm used to for charge moves to get the non-perfect version. 

Facts. I thought the Perfect Booms would be a lot harder than this.

I was getting them with no effort at all like "Damn. I might have to change my pronouns on Twitter to I'm/Him 🤣

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I use that Manon target combo for cancels. The wheel kick, overhead, DR cancel to b.hp, hit grab.

I need to learn this character already. I had did online qualification with Ken.....feels weird to use a "traditionally shoto" after all these years of actively avoiding them. I used Gouken in SFIV but he was a shoto in name only. Same with Sean in NG and 2I. He wasn't the same. Too bad he wasn't 3S...but I digress. I need to unlock her costume though. I just have Ryu, Ken, Chun, and Juri at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I need to learn this character already. I had did online qualification with Ken.....feels weird to use a "traditionally shoto" after all these years of actively avoiding them. I used Gouken in SFIV but he was a shoto in name only. Same with Sean in NG and 2I. He wasn't the same. Too bad he wasn't 3S...but I digress. I need to unlock her costume though. I just have Ryu, Ken, Chun, and Juri at the moment. 

Playing Manon made me question if the rank placement in this game is busted. I had a 8 win streak with Marisa and I got placed 5 star Iron. I won 7 of my matches with Manon doing the basic shit I got placed in 3 star platinum.

Lily should be next on the docket. See if I can fraud my way up

Lily feels like a nightmare at the moment. On paper her weakness is that she has to charge her Windbuff, until you realise that anyone half-decent with her will never run out of stocks. And at that point you're just going up against a grappler who can fly in your face and be plus on block all day.

I haven't played many Lilys so far so there's definitely a massive amount of matchup inexperience on my end, but I get the feeling she's slept on right now. right now I feel like I have to turn my brain off and hope for an early knockdown into potential snowball effect because if you let her get started you're screwed.

Edit: The duality of man. Though I wouldn't even disagree with her being basic.

Edited by delete_me
50 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Have you tried to parry Honda's headbutts?

'Cause I've been getting a lot of perfect parries without even trying. I've punished directly with command grab as Manon even though the damage scaling is pretty horrendous, but it gives me medals and makes Honda a little more scared of throwing headbutts, not that he'll ever stop anyway.

To stop throwing headbutts is to admit defeat

its not a gameplan, its a lifestyle

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Playing Manon made me question if the rank placement in this game is busted. I had a 8 win streak with Marisa and I got placed 5 star Iron. I won 7 of my matches with Manon doing the basic shit I got placed in 3 star platinum.

Lily should be next on the docket. See if I can fraud my way up

Shit, I forgot that they actually give individual character ranks like SFIV. That was the best thing about that game. Now, picking new characters won't be such a headache. I remember dropping to damn near rookie in SFV when Alex dropped.

Tried to punish heavy Blanka Ball with Manon's Level 1. She stops dead in her tracks literally 1 pixel in front of him, it felt like Capcom was just trolling me.

Went to training mode and unless I'm missing something the only way to punish that move with her is perfect parry into QFB LK which does almost no damage. I think Ono's ghost is still lingering in Capcom HQ.

2 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Tried to punish heavy Blanka Ball with Manon's Level 1. She stops dead in her tracks literally 1 pixel in front of him, it felt like Capcom was just trolling me.

Went to training mode and unless I'm missing something the only way to punish that move with her is perfect parry into QFB LK which does almost no damage. I think Ono's ghost is still lingering in Capcom HQ.

According to jmcroft's video the only way to punish heavy Blanka Ball - outside of perfect parry, is Guile's level 1 super.  Most characters can do nothing about it on block.  The other options are interrupting with an invincible move or jump back cross up.

Thoughts on Manon and the game after my first day of ranked. I ended up in gold after doing all my placements and I fought a few matches after that. 

General 

Spoiler

* I definitely need to incorporate drive rush into my game more. As it stands I don’t really use it at all. I have some oki setups and combo uses for it, but overall I mostly stick to DI and OD’s. Good use of drive rush is probably the biggest factor that separated me from the guys who mopped me up lol. 

* So far I haven’t run into anyone using Drive Reversal and Drive parry use is also rare. 

* Man good Deejay is insane! The character has so many options and so much going on. Some guy using him absolutely bodied me and I wasn’t mad at all just impressed with the player and the character. Well down Capcom!

* I absolutely love JP. This was another character/player that ran my pockets, in this case mostly due to unfamiliarity. Navigating through all his shit is fun, though I’ll feel a lot better when I’m more familiar with all the various ghosts and portals. Frankly I’m surprised ppl aren’t calling for this character to be destroyed in a patch yet. Not my style functionally or aesthetically but possibly my favorite newcomer overall. 

* Not a fan that ppl can still one-and-done in ranked 

Manon specific

Spoiler

* Manon is cool, but she is definitely not “I’m using nothing but this character for the next 7 years” tier. Against players who are hard to grab (either really good players or ironically really bad ones) she really is not all that engaging to play. Yea she is functional and not at all bad, but until you’re getting into high medal grabs the wow factor just ain’t there for me. Bottom line I’ll probably use the character long enough to finish the character thread and find a main more suited to my style. Some other things: 

* Like 50% of the mirror feels like trying to not get clipped by the spinning slide. 

* Her alt costume looks 100% better than default. Like “this is how this character should look by default” level

* Heresy i know, but I wouldn’t mind if some power was taken away from the grab and the hit grab was a bit stronger. Right now level 5 grabs feel like “lol gg” and level 5 hit grabs are just kinda like “…yeah I guess that’s good damage but who cares medal up.

* Cr.hp follow-up whiffing all the time is annoying asl. 

8 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Character usage spread across various FGC pros thus far (data incomplete but still)

Small update - I have now looked at data across 130 prominent members of FGC and competitive players. Current character usage stat looks as follows:

• JP, Manon - 16
  • Dee Jay - 15
  • Marisa - 13
  • Cammy, Chun, Honda - 11
  • Juri - 9
  • Ken - 8
  • Dhalsim, Jamie, Lily, Luke, Ryu, Zangief - 7
  • Blanka, Guile - 6
  • Kimberly - 3

Obviously these aren't final set in stone picks but for a brand new game that's quite a roster diversity

Edited by -PVL93-
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I absolutely love JP. This was another character/player that ran my pockets, in this case mostly due to unfamiliarity. Navigating through all his shit is fun, though I’ll feel a lot better when I’m more familiar with all the various ghosts and portals. Frankly I’m surprised ppl aren’t calling for this character to be destroyed in a patch yet.

You have been visiting a different internet than me the last few days.

I think he's beyond stupid at full screen away but thankfully somewhat manageable at any other distance. But when he lands that cane strike special and puts you at the other end of the stage there's no other counterplay than to wakeup parry which is oddly limiting for this game.

I've played a bunch of JP and, even though I think the matchup may not be that good for Manon, I found him fun to fight in spite of it all.

I'm also afraid that he's fun to fight currently, by trying to navigate his bullshit, and he won't be very fun once the broken setups and mixups get developed and he starts mixing you up on top of zoning you.

His full screen command grab has a ton of recovery and seems like it can be jumped on on reaction, so I'm actually kinda looking forward to JPs doing it raw, but I expect that over time no one will ever do that move raw ever again and only use it in fucked up setups that make it safe-er and harder to deal with.

47 minutes ago, delete_me said:

You have been visiting a different internet than me the last few days.

Actually besides here I haven’t been visiting the internet at all, so sorry 😅 you’re probably right lol

The only things I do online with any regularity are come here, r/cars, and shop for cars online cause I’m an addict. I don’t pay attention to much else.

Now get off my lawn.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:13 PM, Pair of Rooks said:

I don't like DI.   Footsies?   Nah, DI.   AA?   Nah, DI.   Over the age of 40?   DI, DI, DI.  

Anyway, tonight was my first SF6 matches with actual humans, and my first matches with a charge character.  After barely 2 hours I must quit and do hand stretches. 

I think I need to move back to stick for this game.  So many 2-button and 3-button combinations are impossible unless mapped, and always-be-charging on a D-pad isn't comfortable. 

Sounds like you're not using Drive Impact enough.

Did anybody else just randomly get 7700 drive tickets? I was having connection probs, went to WT mode and unlocked Dhalsim's alt. I didn't receive it ingame, but when I did get back online, I got a notification saying I'd got the DTs and the costume. I already accepted the 1 mil players gift.

Edit: Only bought the base edition.I'm gonna spend it quick!

Edited by JustBooming
42 minutes ago, Dragonfave723 said:

Unused character designs of Juri, Ryu, Honda, Chun-Li & Ken.

THAT JURI CONCEPT TO THE LEFT IS GODLIKE, WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST USE IT

13 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Justin Wong vs Nemo.

Justin actually played a bunch of FT10 sets against several players the other day in stream, went on for about 6 hours 

He played Sonicfox, Sajam, Kokujin, Nemo, Ricki Ortiz, Fchamp, Kizzie, and Mike Ross too

Edited by -PVL93-
20 minutes ago, JustBooming said:

Did anybody else just randomly get 7700 drive tickets? I was having connection probs, went to WT mode and unlocked Dhalsim's alt. I didn't receive it ingame, but when I did get back online, I got a notification saying I'd got the DTs and the costume. I already accepted the 1 mil players gift.

Edit: Only bought the base edition.I'm gonna spend it quick!

Is the 1 million players gift the drive tickets?  Also, how long does it take to unlock the alt costumes?

28 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Is the 1 million players gift the drive tickets?  Also, how long does it take to unlock the alt costumes?

I don't know, I claimed the gift ingame while online a few hours ago, and it looked just like titles. And once you're a decent level, you can just spaff ingame zenny to get costumes, maybe about 15 mins per costume.

Edit: Just tried the same with Lily, no dice. Bah.

Edited by JustBooming

I think my plateau in this game will be wherever you end up if you can't react to DI. I just don't see it, even if I wait for it there's a solid 75% chance I'm getting hit. There's also some characters who have significantly harder to read animations than others. From what I've seen so far the likes of Ryu or Dhalsim are on the easier side (though still can't counter them on reaction) while Cammy or Blanka I only realise they did it when they already connected with my character. Cammy's in particular might as well not have the colour splash at all as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't even see that coming in slow motion.

I tried the few tips people posted online like turning up the volume for Drive Gauge moves but I didn't notice anything really.

9 minutes ago, delete_me said:

even if I wait for it there's a solid 75% chance I'm getting hit.

I worry about the same: can do it fine when I'm in the special kids' training mode for DI counters, but in a match, muscle memory (c.mp to boom, as one example) takes over and it'll take a good long while to break that habit, if ever.

17 minutes ago, delete_me said:

I think my plateau in this game will be wherever you end up if you can't react to DI. I just don't see it, even if I wait for it there's a solid 75% chance I'm getting hit. There's also some characters who have significantly harder to read animations than others. From what I've seen so far the likes of Ryu or Dhalsim are on the easier side (though still can't counter them on reaction) while Cammy or Blanka I only realise they did it when they already connected with my character. Cammy's in particular might as well not have the colour splash at all as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't even see that coming in slow motion.

I tried the few tips people posted online like turning up the volume for Drive Gauge moves but I didn't notice anything really.

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself. Reacting to Drive Impact is similar to AA’ing a jump in that on paper it’s always possible but in practice it’s harder. In a match you’re gonna be looking out for 3-4 other things minimum in addition to being ready for a DI. 

Also the game has been out less than a week. Give yourself more time to improve lol.

Edit: Also make sure you’re setting yourself up for success. Don’t go too crazy with fireballs at unsafe ranges or non-cancelable pokes like Manon s.hk. Over use of those moves it a great way to eat a DI even when you can react to it. DI is also much more powerful (and therefore more common) in the corner so be on the look out.

Edited by Vhozite