Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

I'm right now going through everyone's trials and story mode before I do the deep dive. My first local monthly is tomorrow and I'll be on stream duty. If anyone here wants to tune in, it starts at 1 PM EST at psychoblue9 on twitch

In the interim I'd appreciate the RT.

https://twitter.com/Psychoblue9/status/1664811931373273088

Edited by Psychoblue
6 hours ago, Volt said:

A'ight, here's the deal. @Dayaanasked me to check with y'all if you're down for a tournament.

The tentative date is somewhere around July 7-9th so everybody gets some time to practice.

Whoever wants in can just let us know one way or another.

What's up you good-for nothing-soon-to-become-fossil fuels? Looks like we have about 14-15 people into the idea. If we can get to twenty by the end of the week, that would be nice. Then we can start scouting for organizers/streamers. I can TO... probably. We just need a better idea of interest here so that we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks all! 

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Honestly its more than that. This game is shitting on other FGs in a lot of ways at this point. I'm just messing around with trials so far, can't say what the balance will be at the end. But the characters just feel well thought out...unlike other places I won't mention.

:coffee:

For sure just from doing trials you get a feeling that even the simplest seeming characters have depth and a game plan. For instance deejay isn’t just a slightly different guile he has his own identity play style  wise.

So, I ended up playing a guy that was probably from Australia because he had an Australian flag and over 370 milliseconds of delay. For whatever reason Australian people go on the European lobbies to play, I don't know.

It was bad obviously, but if that was the worst the SF6 netcode has to offer then it's good news, because even in those conditions it was just regular underwater shit with rollbacking frames. I have seen worse rollbacking in decent SFV connections and I'm pretty sure that if anyone tried to play an Australia-Europe match in SFV it would crash the game, brick your console and possibly burn your house.

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Day 3 tier list 

S Manon, JP

A Ken, Deejay, Lily, Guile, Honda, Kim

B Chun, Juri, Ryu, Marisa, Dhalsim, Luke, Cammy, Blanka

C Jamie

D Gief

This is backed up by absolutely zero evidence, testing, arguments, knowledge, or legitimacy 

Discuss 

DFx-MtxVwAAZCRn.jpg

5 hours ago, Dragonfave723 said:

This character is getting fucking toasted this time next year. No way any of this stays unless he some how ends up being bottom tier. 

I’m really liking Lily. I think I can make her work. I was leaning on Manon largely because of how she looked but something about Lily’s buttons and easier hit confirms makes me think I can experience the game better. My only issues is I gotta learn how to churn butter because she’s got a 360. However it doesn’t seems like an integral component to her game plan because she can’t even get DR oki off it because even the EX version puts her too far away for that. 

Imma let you guys in on a little protip. 

If, when in the middle of a multi-hour download, your Steam download speed seems unusually slow, and you see some internet advice like "Like many apps, Steam keeps temporary download data in a download cache. If it gets clogged up, it can affect Steam performance, block the app from running properly, and slow down your downloads. Thus, clearing it might speed up your downloads again,"  well, don't push that button.

Just don't do it. 

🌈The More You Know

Someone mentioned meter management and I agree, it's very unorthodox and I have yet to find a good balance. I usually end up using a lot of EX moves, meaning I'm often very close to burnout and basically guaranteed burnout at least once per match. But on the other hand I noticed I'm almost permanently at Level 3 for the Super Gauge with no idea how to use it. Arguably this might be a Manon problem because her Supers are oddly situational and her non-EX moves not that good – I might play someone else for a bit just to see if I instinctively use the meter differently then.

Completed all of Jamie's and Lily's trials. They feel harder than V but easier than 4 - which is kind of what I was expecting. Think I'll do Cammy and Manon's as well just to see if I really take to one of them. 

Honestly can't see myself playing anyone else other than Jamie though - at least until A.K.I arrives. Even spent all my drive tickets on colours 3-9. There's no going back after that lol.

lol Chunli doing shopping for Ryu, they are now starting building connection.

However Sakura is established one. Let's see how they progress each one in a meaningful narrative way in the future

For me, I preferred Ryu and Chun both single, specially Chun li.

I think them being married would be soon a sign of a major reboot, both characters are essential to be single but idealize as a pair on marketing but no commitment and real attachment. Romantically inclined but not committed.

Chun li cannot afford to be back seated as a character, she an icon.

EReqRpE.png

Yet I don't mind Ryu being like Gon's Dad, Ging Freecss leaving his son to become a hunter or something

Like his son goal is meeting his father from his journey across the world, like in the greed island episode. because his father is constantly moving forward and improving.

Yet I preferred Ryu's future to be more like Rouwe from Galaxy Fight

That him being soughtout by new generation of fighters and old fighters

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Really want to play SF6. My left hand has other plans. Today of all days has to be the one where most of my fingers numb 😔I'm gonna live through you all for now. I hope tomorrow will be better....

Edit: Fuck it. Aleve and wrist brace time. 

I hope you feel better, bro. You gotta start using your right hand more when you jack off, you putting too much strain on the left 

I am still testing characters and also tried them online.

Marisa - feels very good and effective especially for anti drive impact situations and she also seems like a good scrub killer character. I love the armor und her moves and forced my way through some DI's yesterday. Her normals feel pretty good due to long reach, she even has Laura's knee move in f.hk. Even though it's slower, it's special cancelable. I don't know if she will get boring and stale after a while of play since her gameplan is pretty linear, but for now she is definitely fun.

Manon - she is definitely harder to use than Marisa imo. Requires a more well thought out gameplan. At first I ended up being very retarded with my obsession to just command grab the hell out of my opponents lol. But I think if you learn her a bit more, she might be even more fun than Marisa. Seeing people explode after level 5 command grab is hella fun. Also very good long reaching normals. I like her as much as Marisa atm.

Juri - probably deals less damage than the 2 above, but she makes up for that with her amazing speed and overall utility. I like this version very much and I think she also looks better than ever. She might also be a good character for me, since Juri was a secondary character for me in V and it seems like it's a good idea for me also have a character with good zoning tools in the game. Her normals are also very strong like usual. And I noticed you can definitely apply some good corner pressure with her.

So yeah, looks like I am focusing on the feet clan, lol.

Next up I will try JP and Cammy I think. Also Zangief and Deejay. God damn so many cool characters.

4 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Even spent all my drive tickets on colours 3-9. There's no going back after that lol.

I am very close to doing this with Cammy.

I was pretty sure I was either going to play Cammy or Ken (and then maybe a few others) until I realized Cammy’s F+HK is basically Sweet Chin Music and that sealed the deal, lol.

That’s a lot of drive tickets though! I may just grind to get her classic costume this weekend and wait until the first battle pass (which I think starts on the 9th) and see what’s that about

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Common foot clan W, eating real good in the recent times 

Amen brother, this game was made for da people.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Felt good enough to play World Tour for the last few hours. I'm gonna have to mess around training to try a find a character for online play.

Haven't even tried world tour yet, but will probably do that later today.

3 hours ago, delete_me said:

How did you get s many so fast? I just got to 1000 earlier this morning and used them to buy a single colour.

You get drive tickets with the deluxe/ultimate versions. Buying the ultimate version gave 7700 drive tickets out the door (the deluxe version was less but I don’t recall how much)…

I’d imagine you’d get them when you buy the season passes as well, but idk for sure

Edited by Mattatsu
11 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

3 bars is not enough?

Honestly, kinda thinking it isn't.  It's a yolo robbery tool that worst case is refunded in full at start of next round.

It's not like, a super important game-breaking issue or anything.  But it's probably the most feels-bad thing in a very good game right now.

37 minutes ago, Reticently said:

To me, the big difference is that it's on a meter that automatically refills.  FADC at least has some meter management implications going into next round.

If I have to pick a grievance with 6 (besides random frame drops in world tour), this is it…I feel like meter management is way too easy right now. Drive refills fast, several of the options are absolutely dirt cheap, and your bar is full at the start of every round. Between that and supers being an entirely different bar it feels like you have to try really hard to run out of resources. 

I agree with PVL that half the bar for drive rush is ok…it’s that other stuff is too cheap. Drive impact, drive parry, and raw drive rush costing basically nothing is why canceling into drive rush feels like it costs nothing. You can do that, lose an entire bar of drive on block from your opponent, and still have plenty left over to use those options. 

Personally I think drive meter should start off only half full or maybe 4/6 full every round instead of all the way full. We also need more characters like Honda who can deal significant drive damage on block. 

But again I’m not THAT pressed about it. If it stays the way it is I’ll live.

Edited by Vhozite
20 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I had a rough start in ranked. Won 7/10 of my placement matches, but ended up in Platinum. That's what I get for going raw in ranked with no labbing.

Eventually made my way up to Diamond. Feeling more and more comfortable. Just gotta get better at knowing what combos work in certain situations.

Going off your avatar I assume you play Kim, or are you running trains with Cammy again?

20 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

We also need more characters like Honda who can deal significant drive damage on block. 

Expanding on this for a second, the amount of drive gauge damage you can take on punish counter from a non-SA, non DI attack seems capped at 1 bar. If you want to deal more than that you have to add a drive impact or use a super, in which case the damage adds up to a max of:

SA1: 1.5 bars (super adds 1/2 bar of damage)

SA2: 2 bars (adds 1 bar)

SA3: 2.5 bars (adds 1.5 bars)

Drive Impact: adds 1 bar, though raw punish counter DI does 1.5 bars alone. So PC Drive Impact > Drive impact does roughly 2.5 bars of drive damage, which is the only way to get that high without dumping a level 3 super. However if your character has a cancelable heavy you can get really close to two bars of damage doing heavy xx impact. Manon PC b.hp xx Impact does like 1.9 bars of damage, though obviously that health damage is extremely low on a combo like that.

Fairly inconsequential, but Manon’s hit grab seems bugged or balanced poorly in this regard. Most multi-hitting attacks from what I’ve seen deal their punish counter drive damage in chunks per hit. Her hit grab specifically deals it all on the first hit, which is funny because the animation can can get so long that they start regenning meter before you finish your attack. 

I've gone through trials for all of Manon, most of Dee Jay, most of JP, doing Chun right now and... Damn, these characters are just so sick.  Yeah they got a lot more moves than they would in a normal SF. But they just feel so well thought out. JP got me questioning a bit with his NRS Projectile move set but overall its just damn.

Gonna be really curious to see what this game looks like a 6 months to a year out. I'll be really curious to see if all the characters are on a similar level or if some stuff was too out of pocket.

4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

But they just feel so well thought out. JP got me questioning a bit with his NRS Projectile move set but overall its just damn.

It’s funny you say this because his OD reversal works exactly like Jade’s in MK11 in that it will beat basic strikes and throws (in that game it loses to other things like l jump ins and lows iirc, so not 1-1 comparison).

Edited by Vhozite

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

It’s funny you say this because his OD reversal works exactly like Jade’s in MK11 in that it will beat basic strikes and throws (in that game it loses to other things like l jump ins iirc).

So far I have two moves on my "this character should not have this" watch list: Kimberly's cans and Guile having his v-skill for SF5.  I don't really understand much about a lot of the cast yet to feel any type of way about things. Chun seems to have a lot of stuff but she feels very Chun (in the same vein with Ryu in that they have a lot but not something weird).

Blanka having air balls is weird as hell. Gonna be interesting when I get around to him.