Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

The scale of game development has ballooned and I'm not even sure it's leading to games that are particularly better than the old ones. Just bloated, overly long ones and sometimes also with homogeneous looks and feelings.

I'm just concerned that "middle-sized" games and developers may become a dying breed, and that by the end of it the only things that will remain will be AAA studios with thousands of employees and indie ones made up of 5 people max (until they too get bought if they ever become too successful).

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't think mid sized devs will fade away. One of the benefits of digital is that makes it easier for smaller developers to sell their games. Greedfall was a AA game that scratched my itch for a Bioware type RPG. Since Bioware making subpar looter shooter, they weren't an option. Greedfall wasn't super high budget but it was a well made and engaging game. 

Mid-size titles pretty much already died off in the 360/PS3 era.  The jump to HD caused development time and cost to balloon to the point that a lot of smaller studios could no longer survive.  Nowadays modern games usually fall into the indie/early access or AAA camps.  While some still exist, it's already nowhere near the numbers that existed during the PS2 days.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Back to Street Fighter, this guy has an amazing gallery

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdNnK6lIzW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So when does the gacha come out in the west?  Looks like this is the guy who was doing the art for it. 🤤

31 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Hey y'all

Sorry for popping up here so rarely

anyways wish you guys a happy new year and hope all your wishes/resolutions come to fruition

have a good one

Good to see you dude. Hope all is well and have a happy new year. 

@Hecatom That's what Dan does. Vegeta is the hype, Dan is the anti-hype.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, HeavensCloud said:

Setplay is just a preplanned sequence that puts the opponent in a mixup situation.  Gill has a lot of them in VT2 - he sets up an ice puddle and the opponent is forced to guess their way out or be frozen.

That sounds good. That can make him super confusing and stressful. That's also my style. I should pick him up then. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

That sounds good. That can make him super confusing and stressful. That's also my style. I should pick him up then. 

This video has some combos for him. Like @HeavensCloudsaid, you should watch some of Nemo's matches with him.

Edit: One of my best friends from back home is a Gill main. He dropped the game for a while, Gill actually got him back into it. He's pretty good, much better than I am. He had some good matches with @VhoziteIn the lounges we ran. Side note: Anyone want to set a day to run some sets. I haven't played in a while but I like playing with you all. I feel like it makes me sharper as player to tangle with guys that know the type of shenanigans I'm going to pull.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
11 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

How does Gill play. I have not played SFV in three years. 

Gill is pretty technical for SFV. He has his own unique mechanic (Retribution) in place of Crush Counters. He can put fire/ice status on the opponent which causes white hp DOT/frozen stun bar and “crush counters” them if they get hit with an elemental attack the opposite of their status. The status effect basically let Gill setup some of the longest and most damaging combos in the game. About halfway through every round Gill only needs one good touch with meter or VT to take you for a ride.

Outside of Retribution, he also has the best defensive VS in the game, with VS2 being a “real” 2f parry. It’s risky with CH recovery but it’s mere presence warps the other characters offensive options. Gill also has angled fireballs and fairly long reaching normals similar to Urien. 

Unfortunately despite being unique and fairly flashy, Gill is mid-tier at absolute best. He trades the big swings and VT gain that you get from CCs and gets little more than long combos return. Retribution also has the additional drawback of being meter hungry and/or needing VT for big pop offs. Without resources or a combo into VT retribution is a non-factor. The only way he can setup statues effects/retribution without resources is using VS1, which is honestly not great and requires him to give up the best parry in the game. His VT game is also quite limited, as he builds more VT via HP loss than probably every character and he needs to combo into them (typically using EX fireball) to get real mileage out of them. 

Combine all those things and Gill is basically a character that’s mediocre every where outside of Twitter highlights. He’s unique, but also requires more work than the average character for less return. Gill is basically a non-threat until he touches you and even then he needs a fuckton of meter or VT to really blow you up. 

Also has low tier dress game...only good options are the various color combos for his default skin. 

teleports back to MK11

@Darc_Requiemi haven’t played SFV in a while lol. Between 2077 and MK11 ive been slacking. In fact I think almost everyone here has been playing other games. There is also the balance patch looming, which makes me not want to dig deep into the game since it might change a lot next week (metaphorically).

Im always down to play you guys though 👍🏽 just say the word. 

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@VhoziteI'm in the same boat. I haven't played any fighting games in a while I went from playing SFV, SC6, and MK11 with you guys to playing CP2077 and a few other games on the side. Not going to lie, if the balance patch had dropped this month I'd be all over SFV now.

We're definitely in a fighting game drought waiting for the SFV update plus all the new next gen fighting games on the horizon.  I've been playing old games.  Just started a Parasite Eve playthrough and will probably play Vagrant Story next.  Despite playing nearly every Square game as a kid, I missed out on these two.

1 hour ago, Lord Vega said:

Hmm. It sounds like my style due to zoning. What you do mean by setplay? I never heard of that term. 

Set play like Answer and Testament on GG. 

People like to differentiate them from other archetypes since you have to consciously plan ahead and set something to use later. 

The thing is that you can have set play oriented to zoning, rushdown, runaway, etc. 

Is more a strategy towards a goal than a style of play. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

There are a bunch of things I don't do that people think I should do and a bunch of things I do that are never expected when I play. I have a tuned sense of flow state when I play. 

I got that same problem too, the main difference being that I consistently flowchart into the worst options possible. 🤣

There ain't really a lot that can be done against that outside of actively thinking about what you want/should be doing instead. Try to fit one adjustment at a time and constantly keep them in mind until you don't have to.

Disclaimer tho: I'm literally the worst player in the world and I barely play to begin with, but if what I say makes sense, might be worth a shot I guess.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

I got that same problem too, the main difference being that I consistently flowchart into the worst options possible. 🤣

There ain't really a lot that can be done against that outside of actively thinking about what you want/should be doing instead. Try to fit one adjustment at a time and constantly keep them in mind until you don't have to.

Disclaimer tho: I'm literally the worst player in the world and I barely play to begin with, but if what I say makes sense, might be worth a shot I guess.

I do the same as you. I make conscious adjustments to my flow if things don't work out. I am in and out of thinking and not thinking during the match. I play with instinct and tactics. My playstyle can look like chaos, but it gets the job done. But whatever. I don't care if I lose. 

Ahh so I saw the same 5HS, the same 5/2P, a new 2K, Fujin (and it's followups), a new 6P anti air attack and some new spinning shoryuken lookin' move that looks like one of his guard point followups from old GG. Maybe it's replacing his old anti air combo ender, On? 

I also saw the butterfly (thank god) but it doesn't bloom into the bird projectile anymore???????? I didn't see it transform in the trailer at all. 

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Why are you even surprised that they are removing stuff from SF Strive?

Hey I just had 3x Guzmas Theme in a row in my Playlist, I think the Shuffle decided to stop working.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.

The Wallsticks were one of the things most complained about, or it was more about the Wallbreaks.

I do think they removed the Wallsticks and changed them for Wallbounces. The Wallbreaks probably still happen but only during K.Os

I might also think to much into this one scene but theoricing things is fun to me.

15 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

I also saw the butterfly (thank god) but it doesn't bloom into the bird projectile anymore???????? I didn't see it transform in the trailer at all. 

It was blocked, which raises the question:

Did it used to transform in the old GG's on block?

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

No, it's actually in peak condition. 🤣 🔥

I love Guzma, best Boss in any Pokemon.

He is kinda well written for a Pokemon game Team Leader.

I love it how his Grunts complain, that he beats them up for losing instead of their Pokemon, gives him a certain charisma.

Just now, Jocelot said:

Jeah, it transformed when it touched the opponent, on hit or block. It was pretty much the cornerstone of his oki game in XX.

Welcome to Nerf City! 🤣

1 minute ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I love Guzma, best Boss in any Pokemon.

He is kinda well written for a Pokemon game Team Leader.

I love it how his Grunts complain, that he beats them up for losing instead of their Pokemon, gives him a certain charisma.

Most fun non-Champ/E4 battle since I dunno, Fantina?

Definitely one of the very few highlights in the factory of sadness that was Gen 7.

2 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Jeah still can't see anything my guy.

Don't know what else I can do. I didn't link them the in the edit. I actually drag and dropped them to forum. They are loaded into the forum....hmmm. Let me see if my imgur will work.

Okay for the people that can't see them. Take 3.....if this doesn't work I'm out of ideas.

6y3IfEf.jpg

d1gZ72j.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem