Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

What do you guys think about Guilty Gear Strive not having a ranked mode?  I was thinking about this and it's a pretty drastic change from what we're used to.  Every fighting game I can think of had some sort of rank mode since like SF4.  It looks like Strive is going to have this tower instead where you move up a floor as you get better.  Not sure how I feel about this as I do enjoy rank modes but there are definitely pros and cons.  

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

What do you guys think about Guilty Gear Strive not having a ranked mode?  I was thinking about this and it's a pretty drastic change from what we're used to.  Every fighting game I can think of had some sort of rank mode since like SF4.  It looks like Strive is going to have this tower instead where you move up a floor as you get better.  Not sure how I feel about this as I do enjoy rank modes but there are definitely pros and cons.  

Honestly this is the first I heard about it. I have been following Strive but not super closely. I basically check when a character reveal happens and dip out. 

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly this is the first I heard about it. I have been following Strive but not super closely. I basically check when a character reveal happens and dip out. 

To give a bit context here.

Duo to no one using ranked mode in any ASW Game (their own games, not the ones they do for other companys), they decided to remove ranked mode.

Instead they implent the Lobby Tower, which is supposed to function like a middle ground between ranked mode and the popular Lobbys.

Basically you get a bunch of Floors, the higher the floor the higher the skill level.

I use ASW Colors as an example for this:

You have 5 Floors from strongest to weakest  Purple<-Orange<-Yellow<-Green<-Blue

People who have the blue color can only fight people on the blue floor, however if they want to play with a friend who is in Orange, they still can play with each other, because the Orange player is allowed to go down to the Blue Lobby. However the Blue Player isn't allowed to go up to the Orange Lobby.

This is how I understand this system this far.

I personaly think it's stupid and they should just keep it the way it is, colors and FFA Lobbys.

No one has been using ranked mode anyway, removing it won't hurt the community in the slightest tbh.

37 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Duo to no one using ranked mode in any ASW Game (their own games, not the ones they do for other companys), they decided to remove ranked mode.

Instead they implent the Lobby Tower, which is supposed to function like a middle ground between ranked mode and the popular Lobbys.

Basically you get a bunch of Floors, the higher the floor the higher the skill level.

You have 5 Floors from strongest to weakest  Purple<-Orange<-Yellow<-Green<-Blue

People who have the blue color can only fight people on the blue floor, however if they want to play with a friend who is in Orange, they still can play with each other, because the Orange player is allowed to go down to the Blue Lobby. However the Blue Player isn't allowed to go up to the Orange Lobby.

I personaly think it's stupid and they should just keep it the way it is, colors and FFA Lobbys.

No one has been using ranked mode anyway, removing it won't hurt the community in the slightest tbh.

And if you’re not a fan of the lobbies, they said that you could cue up battles without using them.

image0.png

5 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Well, there are metrics that you can use to check based on player population vs matches played to each rank.

They probably figured out using data of all their games that ranked is amsall component that doesnt get significanly used when compared to other online modes.

Then add that they have that weird shit where you level up on public lobbies, creating an hybrid of ranked plus casual/public lobby.

So in essence, they arent exactly removing the component, but bringing it into the most populated segment.

Or at least is what i think they are doing.

4 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

The truth is that Ranked mode is always the smaller component for any fighting game.

Is just that with games that have less population is more noticeable.

If you compare active playerbase in ranked mode against active player base on DBFZ you will see that is a smaller percentage.

Plus they arent exactly removing a ranked system.

They are removing the division between public lobbies and the ranking system.

So you are always in a public populated lobby where the people on it are near your ranking level.

Ouside the suboptimal presentation and the horrid way to start matches, in paper, the idea is not necessarily bad.

The problem is that it could potentially lead to the same issues that skill matchmaking has on fps, where you are basically punishing better players for doing good forcing them to always have turbo hardcore matches the higher their rank are.

If your only alternative to public lobbies is dependant to your rank, what is actually being phased out is casual match, lol.

Which is why i have been saying that for a game trying to appeal to a casual base that doesnt delve into GG, they are making some really weird decisions that could lead to allienating the player base they are chasing.

Both in gameplay and game design.

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:
Spoiler

The truth is that Ranked mode is always the smaller component for any fighting game.

Is just that with games that have less population is more noticeable.

If you compare active playerbase in ranked mode against active player base on DBFZ you will see that is a smaller percentage.

Plus they arent exactly removing a ranked system.

They are removing the division between public lobbies and the ranking system.

So you are always in a public populated lobby where the people on it are near your ranking level.

Ouside the suboptimal presentation and the horrid way to start matches, in paper, the idea is not necessarily bad.

The problem is that it could potentially lead to the same issues that skill matchmaking has on fps, where you are basically punishing better players for doing good forcing them to always have turbo hardcore matches the higher their rank are.

If your only alternative to public lobbies is dependant to your rank, what is actually being phased out is casual match, lol.

Which is why i have been saying that for a game trying to appeal to a casual base that doesnt delve into GG, they are making some really weird decisions that could lead to allienating the player base they are chasing.

Both in gameplay and game design.

Well I've never seen people care about ranked mode outside of the mainstream games.

But Strive does make a lot of changes that alienate Casuals.I just want functional lobbys, I don't care about ranks in the slightest.

Then again Casuals hate anything at this point. 

Is there even anything left at this point they don't complain about?

I think just toning done on the amount of mechanics and making the Combos easier (even easier than they already were) would have been enough.

At least it ain't DBFZ levels of retarded. That game was made knowing who they attract with it.

As far as ranked goes, 30th ranked is fucking hilarious. I found this guy to keep farming points off of. At the start I had around 700 points, and they had 905. By the end of the set, I had won around 30-0 and I got SO MANY points... and he stayed at 905. Meaning that:

1) You don't lose points for losing, so once you enter a rank that's your rank permanently.

2) Your losses don't show on any page whatsoever on 30th, so no one will ever know how much of a scrub you are.

I'm cool with Strive not having a ranked mode. I've always thought that ranks in video games tend to reward degenerate playstyles until a certain point. Then it becomes a incubator for scrub thoughts like "the only reason I'm stuck here is cause of insert comeback mechanic here." 

It stunts growth and understanding of the game, because people start to worry more about ranking up then actually getting better. 

Edited by KingTubb
9 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Well I've never seen people care about ranked mode outside of the mainstream games.

Not even on the mainstream games you see the majority caring abouyt ranked.

Is just seems that way because there is enough people to give the impression.

Usually is not even the 1% of the games population.

Also, the lobby is functional, since is basically the same as the other lobbies for their games.

What changes is the presentation and the dumb way to start matches.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Illwill88 said:

Yeah no matter the genre most people just play games for fun. Still I like for games to have some sort of ranked mode.  It's not a deal breaker but something about having some sort of competitive mode like that keeps me going. 

You still have a ranking system.

Now is integrated with the public lobbies, like how casual is integrated with the lobbies on all their other games.

People assume Ranked is gone because is not a ranked system like the old ones.

IMO, is not a bad idea, is just that it will be a matter of how other public lobbies fucntionalities function.

Supposedly, you can still queue yourself in other modes if you dont want to be on a public lobby.

So, you still have matchmaking functionalities.

Edited by Hecatom

Tbh I don’t even necessarily need a ranked system provided there is some other kind of progression/unblockables. MK has Kombat League but I only play that if there is a skin I want. I mostly play randoms to grind tower requirements.

Without an incentive I’ll just stick to playing people I know. 

3 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Yeah their's doesn't sound bad, I was just stating that in general I like one.

I really hope they put netcode similar to AC+R in strive.  

For what is worth, Zinac is working on the netcode, he worked on Killer Instinct netcode, and has experience with GGPO1 as well, since he implemented it on his indy game iirc.

I think them not having some kind of rank mode is going to hurt.

Every on going competitive game has a rank mode, it's kind of the " big boys club" 

Even in card games, this "ladder" or level thing they go far is just baked into ranked...

Putting everyone into a pool and then saying play and having people float between levels is probably going to be more annoying than anything. Also it kills a part of the tension that comes with RANKED games. That or it makes every game feel like it's a rank game so no one can actually relax and try stuff like they want.

I understand what they want to do, but they are basically trying to reinvent the wheel, you can improve upon it but at the core it's as good as it can get.

And if the public lobbies aren't "casual matches" that essentially just make them ranked matches... by a different name.

Oh well I guess we'll see.

Edited by TheDarkPhoenix
1 hour ago, TheDarkPhoenix said:

I think them not having some kind of rank mode is going to hurt

They have a rank system.

And you are overstimating the amount of people who actually cares about it.

Even on highly populated games like SFV and Tekken 7 the amount of players using the rank mode doesnt go over 10% at most.

Is usually a 1 to 5% on the regular.

KoF is dropping some footy this week, right?

2021 might end up being a really dope fighting game year.

Strive

KoF 15

Mysterious VF project 

Is DNF coming out in 2021 too? Plus, the way that the industry operates now-a-days, there could be some classics that get improved netcode and drop the same day as they're announced. 

I mean, Michael Basketball Jordan said he wanted MvC2 on the PS5, and have you seen the man's arms? Capcom is probably shitting their britches worried they'll get a big ol' punch if they don't make it happen. 

Honestly, I wanna try to take Strive seriously, so anything else that comes out would just be icing. Maybe expect for the VF game, I've always had an affinity for that franchise. 

2021 looking good for FG indeed.

If Evo is happening this year I half expect them to maybe tease SF 6. 

One can hope....

But then again maybe Capcom prefers to save it for Capcom Cup.

Fuck it just show me the art style and some gameplay ( but don't rush the game please I don't want SFV launch 2.0 )

Edited by Skort
23 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I'm cool with Strive not having a ranked mode. I've always thought that ranks in video games tend to reward degenerate playstyles until a certain point. Then it becomes a incubator for scrub thoughts like "the only reason I'm stuck here is cause of insert comeback mechanic here." 

It stunts growth and understanding of the game, because people start to worry more about ranking up then actually getting better. 

Carrot and a stick. "Muh points!" Works as an incentive for people to actually try and play better.

Scrubs gonna scrub, but they'll always drop quotables anyway.

If there's some other reward for playing like say, points for some cosmetic stuff, even better, but ideally you want both.

The Ultradavid meeting went well, kind of confirmed what I already suspected on what I need to work on.  Thankfully it seems like I already corrected most of it and just need more practice talking with other people on the mic.  

November's monthly is finally available.  Wasn't my best outing on commentary but it was also like 9 in the morning compared to my usual afternoon time.  

UD and I are both hype for Dan to come out already.  

12 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Place your bets - will SNK save KOF this coming thursday?

You mean the first character trailer? Literally the first one since there was no previous in-game footage?

It's going to be Kyo and Iori. If they had enough time to get 2 characters trailer-ready.

All I'm hoping for is that it has good netcode and that it looks better than 14 so people actually pick it up.

1 minute ago, Volt said:

Go play a G in lag and tell me how much fun you had.

I'm done playing randoms until Strive drops, I reckon. I've got enough single player games backlogged, and I honestly really enjoy trials and dicking around in training mode that I won't really play online outside of a random game here and there with peeps from here. 

I took many things into account

1) How much total utility they have

2) How much they can work a match with no assistance from their partner to cover up their shortcomings

3) How much they can convert off said utility, either with damage or with creating a life lead to burn the clock, with as little meter cost as possible

4) How long they can potentially keep their turn with minimal consequence overall (i.e. can stay safe no matter what, or opponent needs to spend meter to deter their turn keeping ability)

It was hard for me to find cutoffs, and I think in some places I was too generous, but in the end I'm satisfied with this.

Let's see how I feel in 2022 when the game turns ten years old and I celebrate 8 years as a TO!