Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Do y'all think that a fighting game needs to have locals to be successful?

Or at least in person majors? 

I've seen the argument that GBFV crashed so hard in the USA because it dropped weeks before COVID shut the country down. 

But it also has butt netcode. Would of it of faired better if the netcode was good? OR is it doomed no matter what without in person events, especially ones like CB, CEO, EVO etc... 

They will always require it. Netcode will never be an answer. Depending on how much you like the NRS community, it can be fortunate or unfortunate to you that they are still thriving in their online environment... But so is DBFZ. Competition is still happening, but it sucks. Fighting games can definitely survive on the backs of netcode devs, but it will never happen.

6 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

They will always require it.

Require it for sales, or require it for extending the life of a game? 

NRS sells a ton of copies of games. They've shipped at least 20 million copies of their games since 2015. Capcom hasn't sold half that when it comes to fighters, neither has bamco. 

but NRS also puts out a new game every 2 years, where as capcom and bamco will support a game for years without a new installment. 

I know there's an NRS scene, but it seems to me that they're more willing to and happy to live online. 

Anecdotal, I know, but people didn't play NRS games at locals in my city. There might of been one set-up of like 20 at any event. And tournament numbers were always less than other games like SFV, T7, or SC6. 

I feel like netcode will sell a game, an active tournament and local scene will keep interests and attention for longer. 

I wonder what the profit margins on SFV and MK11 are... Do you make more money selling 10 million copies, but having to develop and put out a new game every 2 years, or selling 5 million copies and constantly adding DLC and costumes to milk your player base for cash...  

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Require it for sales, or require it for extending the life of a game? 

More of extending the life of a game. Best believe a delay based Naruto fighter is getting a lot of purchases.

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

NRS sells a ton of copies of games. They've shipped at least 20 million copies of their games since 2015. Capcom hasn't sold half that when it comes to fighters, neither has bamco. 

but NRS also puts out a new game every 2 years, where as capcom and bamco will support a game for years without a new installment.

This is true, but also consider who Capcom and Bamco target. Plus their games. SF releases games mega slow, and Capcom has no other FGs going right now. Not going to count MvCI since developmentally that game is dead, even if the playerbase exists. Bamco's flagship FG is Tekken. Similar situation to SF in terms of slow releases and support systems. The alternative is licensing stuff out like Dragon Ball, and DBFZ made major bank despite its netcode and I attribute this to 2 things: the fun of the game and the IP. In this manner of thinking, I agree with you that this isn't the best way to compare the survival of games.

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I feel like netcode will sell a game, an active tournament and local scene will keep interests and attention for longer. 

Netcode will sell a fighting game to fighting game players. IPs will sell the game to people that want to become fighting game players or lovers of an IP.

I personally believe that the survival of a game is unrelated to the netcode or IP, but instead the community outlook of the game, that's all. As for success, clearly adding Arnie and Stallone (hilariously putting Arnie first as a reference to their beef in the 80s and 90s) has its advantages, but so does the edge of the game and the gore effects. Spectacles sell.

1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

IPs will sell the game to people that want to become fighting game players or lovers of an IP.

Good point. 

Guess that means that the biggest FG to drop this generation is going to be the LoL fighter, at least here in the states.

I don't see any FGs with an IP that'll get a bunch of Americans excited outside of the mainstays on the horizon. 

7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Good point. 

Guess that means that the biggest FG to drop this generation is going to be the LoL fighter, at least here in the states.

I don't see any FGs with an IP that'll get a bunch of Americans excited outside of the mainstays on the horizon. 

I feel the LoL fighter draw people in. LoL has a massive fanbase and a few of them will make the jump. I'm sure it will make use of the updated GGPO that was present in Rising Thunder. 

36 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Do you make more money selling 10 million copies, but having to develop and put out a new game every 2 years

Depends at what price you end up selling the games.

36 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

or selling 5 million copies and constantly adding DLC and costumes to milk your player base for cash...  

Depends how many waifus the roster has and how thirsty  the player base is.

In Capcom's case they could had probably build that highway from Brazil to England  with the money off Chun's costumes alone.

Edited by Skort

I now have the faces of the scrubs reaponsible for G VT 1 , Akuma in general,Juri VT 2 even making out of alpha testing and  several others.

Et-T3a-V3-Wg-Acz-Wt-L.jpg

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2021/feb/03/street-fighter-woshige-balance-update/

This is me "driving" to Capcom HQ as we speak. I just wanna congratulate them on a job well done.

NiZ1zG-t.jpg

Edited by Skort
3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I've seen the argument that GBFV crashed so hard in the USA because it dropped weeks before COVID shut the country down. 

But it also has butt netcode. Would of it of faired better if the netcode was good? OR is it doomed no matter what without in person events, especially ones like CB, CEO, EVO etc... 

Personally speaking, I just didn't like GBVS that much. I didn’t like how the buttons and combos worked, and some other things. I also think it had a similar fate to Samsho 2019 where people assumed the netcode was trash (not saying it’s not) and didn’t bother to even pick it up. I’m pretty sure I remember people complaining that ranked mode was fairly dead at launch, before the lockdown really hit in NA. 

I do think there are people who prefer the local scenes and to play against someone sitting beside you, rather than playing online. I can understand that sentiment (especially after voice chatting with some of you guys as we play), but I’m okay just grinding online, if i like the game enough.

Edited by Mattatsu
19 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

also think it had a similar fate to Samsho 2019 where people assumed the netcode was trash (not saying it’s not) and didn’t bother to even pick it up

Shamefully, I'm a member of that group. 

PLUS THAT SHIT IS NEVER ON SALE! I'd of picked it up if it was ever less than $60. Every time PSN has a big sale, I check and GBFV is never discounted. 

10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Shamefully, I'm a member of that group. 

PLUS THAT SHIT IS NEVER ON SALE! I'd of picked it up if it was ever less than $60. Every time PSN has a big sale, I check and GBFV is never discounted. 

That was the same for me and Samsho lol. I finally caught it on sale over the holidays, and glad the netcode isn’t as bad (knocks on wood) as I was expecting

6 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

and glad the netcode isn’t as bad (knocks on wood) as I was expecting

Prolly cause the only people playing now are FGC people that are wired and care about trying to have a decent online experience. 

When this shit dropped it was a mine field. The netcode was poopy garbage icky trash 

Holy shit. I have a 4 day break ahead, and my teacher for 1 class assigned 55 pages of reading and 500 words to define. It's all busy work. There is no qualitative purpose to this.

My Stats class' teacher literally linked an iTunes playlist of the next few lessons that we're supposed to teach to ourselves.

My literature class is demanding a paper in a week on the literary canon.

I now understand how video games have made me more violent. I have thought of some great fatalities.

28 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Holy shit. I have a 4 day break ahead, and my teacher for 1 class assigned 55 pages of reading and 500 words to define. It's all busy work. There is no qualitative purpose to this.

Lol I hated this in school. “You have time not in class coming up so since you don’t have a life here’s some stuff to make sure you’re just as miserable as me enjoy your break”. 

Tbh shit like this helped me refine my “what’s most important and what am I gonna skip” skills. Aka “what can I miss and still pass?”

Edited by Vhozite
5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Anime fighters are fighting an uphill battle from the start in the US.  Throw in delay net code and covid and it's GG's.  It's a shame because GBVS is actually very fun and it's the first anime game that I really got into for a while.  It definitely feels like a nice blend of Street Fighter and Guilty Gear.  

Strive is doing things right with rollback but the spring release isn't ideal.  Jiyuna actually said he wants the game delayed to the fall when hopefully locals/tournaments will be back.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
4 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Jiyuna actually said he wants the game delayed to the fall when hopefully locals/tournaments will be back.  

I saw that and that's what made me want to bring it up. 

I don't think the game really needs to be delayed 6 months if it's good and the netcode is bangin'. 

If they do those two things, then by the time season two is about to kick off, in-person majors will be up and running again and they'll get the hype they want to keep the game afloat. 

It'll still be the newest GG in 2022, if not the newest FG that has a big enough base to mainstage EVO. What else is slated to come out in the next 2 years that'll have as many players and people interested? DNF? Prolly not, at least not in NA. And I'm pretty sure that VF project has been shelfed considering sega is going through "restructuring" 

29 minutes ago, Skort said:

I wonder if soul satellite will be v-skill or v-trigger. 

Maybe summon one orb as a v-skill.

Soul satellite was one of the reasons I hated fighting Rose in IV.  It was like the precursor to V-triggers.  

That said, I feel like they'll do something different with her triggers to differentiate from Menat.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Happy to report that I completed 5 days of work for 2 college classes in 5 hours. Now there is only 1 class remaining, but I literally can't do anything about that. Have to spread out my work. 

Such a huge weight off my shoulders for this 4 day break.

@MattatsuI remember you were busy yesterday? Good to rumble tonight?

Sorry, maybe Friday. I’m working all night tonight and tomorrow is likely the same... actually, I may need to spend Friday with the wifey instead. I’ll let you know

5 minutes ago, Skort said:

It was quite a good ultra, used both offensive and defensive. 

Her insane backdash was the icing on the cake though, paired with an insane grab range as well. 

Yeah I remember some anti-backdash option selects didn't even work on her.  She was like the character for all the Chun mains since Chun was so mediocre in IV.  Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Chun's switch over to her in V.  

Also, I bet Capcom is going to churn out a billion Rose costumes lol.

Edited by HeavensCloud
20 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Yeah I remember some anti-backdash option selects didn't even work on her.  She was like the character for all the Chun mains since Chun was so mediocre in IV.  Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Chun's switch over to her in V.  

Also, I bet Capcom is going to churn out a billion Rose costumes lol.

If that st.HK comes back, it might be the batsignal for chun mains. Basically an upside down kick with insane range.

Lmao, I just remembered now that V has crush counter. Gonna be interesting to see how Rose turns out.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Sorry, maybe Friday. I’m working all night tonight and tomorrow is likely the same... actually, I may need to spend Friday with the wifey instead. I’ll let you know

You know, coming back to this, have you considered renegotiating the terms of your employment? I say this not for my sake, but you do have a wife and life. The fact that you have to designate time to spend with a loved one is nothing short of criminal. I know you've taken on a lot of work these past few months.

I know it's easier said than done, especially by someone that's never been employed before, but I would at least think about it.

21 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

You know, coming back to this, have you considered renegotiating the terms of your employment? I say this not for my sake, but you do have a wife and life. The fact that you have to designate time to spend with a loved one is nothing short of criminal. I know you've taken on a lot of work these past few months.

I know it's easier said than done, especially by someone that's never been employed before, but I would at least think about it.

Yeah, I’m getting to the point of needing something done, and soon. My boss keeps telling me it’s temporary, but he’s been on that for 6 months, and I don’t see any end in sight. I complain every time i talk to him, and he urges me not to work more than 40 hours, but then wonders why when i do, it takes three days to respond to his emails... I definitely need to make a bigger stink because my current strat isn’t working.... need to pop V-Trigger and take the round back.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, I’m getting to the point of needing something done, and soon. My boss keeps telling me it’s temporary, but he’s been on that for 6 months, and I don’t see any end in sight. I complain every time i talk to him, and he urges me not to work more than 40 hours, but then wonders why when i do, it takes three days to respond to his emails... I definitely need to make a bigger stink because my current strat isn’t working.... need to pop V-Trigger and take the round back.

These are the cartoonish moments where I'd slam a table and demand that you quit and start your own business, but given the times and the nature of REALITY, I'd advise being careful. Definitely go for it, just be cautious.

We got faith in you.

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Because most people in here came from SRK and these people used the SFV Thread as FGG, habbit carried over, just swap names with the Threads and all should be fine.... or everyone migrates over to that thread then for the name alone.

lol swapping thread names would be pointless.  The issue is that people are using a thread called 'The SFV Thread' for general discussion.  Which actual thread is using the title is irrelevant.

I've made my peace with it.  I can't stop you wild animals.

hf_guile2.png

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

These are the cartoonish moments where I'd slam a table and demand that you quit and start your own business, but given the times and the nature of REALITY, I'd advise being careful. Definitely go for it, just be cautious.

We got faith in you.

Yeah, that’s a worry. Finding a new job in my sector isn't easy these days.

This fucking virus has everyone scared of losing their jobs, and companies understand that, so they’re laying off people, and dumping twice the work on the rest of their employees that are still around. Frankly, I’m not the only one getting pushed like this, and i know of some people that lost their jobs (or quit) months ago that haven’t been able to find anything... I lose this job, I lose my house, and who knows what else.

edit to add: sorry for being depressing lol

Edited by Mattatsu