Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

47 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Healing isn't good in any fighting game ever

FTFY 

Edit:

This made me think about when we were talking about 3S killing FGs in the US...

Jiyuna makes a good point about arcades in the US, and it was pretty much what I was trying to say. 

The US, outside of the big cities, didn't have a lot of arcades by the time 3S came out. 

Also, 3S was on a finicky board that was prone to breaking. 

I've never seen a CPS III game in the wild. 

But, I've also never seen a Alpha series cab outside of a candy cab, and that was in 2019. 

I'm just saying, that by 99, unless you were in a couple concentrated pockets, the arcades were either gone or on their way out

Edited by KingTubb
1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, around ‘99, there were very few arcades in the malls around me.  In fact, in ‘99, i can only think of one and a store took its place like a year later.

after that you practically only saw arcade cabs in bowling alleys, and the odd bar or movie theatre, and they’d rarely be a fighting game.

The only cab I have ever seen was Injustice one, and it was the mobile game... They literally made an arcade cabinet for a mobile game and put in 2 buttons for the controls...

21 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

The only cab I have ever seen was Injustice one, and it was the mobile game... They literally made an arcade cabinet for a mobile game and put in 2 buttons for the controls...

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyit I remember seeing that cab at my local mall a few years ago, it really threw me for a loop. I can't remember the last time I felt so confused and betrayed. 

39 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

you practically only saw arcade cabs in bowling alleys, and the odd bar or movie theatre, and they’d rarely be a fighting game.

The only fighting game cabs I remember seeing as a kid were Tekken 2 at the skating rink, a MvC2 cab at the nice movie theater (lol at canadian "theatre", you fancy boys), and a soulcalibur cab at the shitty movie theater. 

There was a dave and busters, but I don't remember and FGs, and a chuck-e-cheese, but I also don't remember any FG cabs there. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Jiyuna makes a good point about arcades in the US, and it was pretty much what I was trying to say. 

I have so much hate for that video right now.  

First of all, oatmeal lowers cholesterol and is part of a well balanced diet. Add honey and blueberries like I did this morning and you've got meter all day.

Second, 45 is a great age. Fuck you kid.

Third, boomers never played videogames back in the day cause they didn't exist. Boomers played pinball. If you're gonna take potshots at my gen at least get the name right.

Fourth, when you lose and go back to the end of the six-guy line, you spend that time thinking and analyzing why you lost. That makes you better.

Fifth, Graham Wolf won the fucking tournament. 

Sixth, Daigo is also in that same generation of "if I was into it now like I was then".

This YouTube wannabe can fuck right off all of my lawns.

I have a work meeting to attend now.

😤

4 hours ago, Skort said:

It's subjective ofc.

I like Millia but I prefer I-No.

PS : crossplay between ps 4 and ps5 but not for PC.

Sony really got a stick up their ass, because I am almost sure this is their doing and not Arcsys.

You missed the mark by about 10 kilometers.

There is a german saying:

Du triffst ja nicht mal n Scheunentor!

I don't care what kind of waifu you think is better, I tell you to play the bloody games with them.

Edited by Mr.Cipher

Y'all can shut up. With a hairline that recedes like an arctic shore and a haircut that can only be described as A Tale of Two Cities you really can't be commenting on what is and isn't a boomer. Boomerism is a state of mind, not being. Just as everyone born after 1990 is a zoomer to boomers, anyone born before 2000 is a boomer to the zoomers.

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

With a hairline that recedes like an arctic shore and a haircut that can only be described as A Tale of Two Cities 

Neither of these apply to me, sir! I've managed to keep my hair.... so far at least. 

9 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

anyone born before 2000 is a boomer to the zoomers

Fuck... He's right about this tho 

1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

Lucky guy. Men of my bloodline start balding in like, the mid 20's. Let's say my forehead is looking pretty wide these days and I'm 30.

I know how it feels breh. 😭

5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I'm just saying, that by 99, unless you were in a couple concentrated pockets, the arcades were either gone or on their way out

Now I was pretty much a toddler by then, but around... 03, 04, I think, Arcades weren't really a thing down in South KOFland either. I was fortunate to have an ice cream store in front of my house with an 02 cab where I learned the ways of the jump heavy kick, but the level of play was so bad that I was actually taking down a couple people.

I’m annoyed with myself now, but I barely even played at arcades when I was a kid... I was terrible at fighting games back then, and especially worse when I was using sticks as I was so used to pad - I could never get any special moves to come out and I’d spend the whole match trying, instead of just trying to win (though, I probably thought I needed the specials to win).

we weren’t “well to do” either, so if I was lucky enough to get $5 from my mom to “go wild” with, she wouldn’t give me more when I returned 15 minutes later asking for more because she was expecting that to last me an hour or two... Damn, she knew I was trash when I was 10... feelsbadman

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

That is such a boomer thing to say 🤣

Wouldn't know. Not a boomer. Jokes aside, insulting someone with a term that doesn't apply to them makes the person hurling the assault look like an idiot. My friend in college was Filipino someone hit him with a Mexican insult. Which made them look dumb because he wasn't Mexican. He wasn't even Latino. 🤣

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Pretty sure boomer has been overused to the point that the original meaning is mostly lost. At this point it’s just an insult towards old people with a certain “back in my day” mentality. 

I know how its used. Still going to laugh at people that don't know what a boomer really is though.

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Pretty sure boomer has been overused to the point that the original meaning is mostly lost. At this point it’s just as much a mentality as it is an actual age group. 

Yeah, I agree with this. I certainly have some “boomer” tendencies/opinions.

it’s also funny because I’m almost 37, but when when I was 17, do you know how old 37 seemed? Shit seemed like you should be getting to retire then.

I kinda understand why dude’s my age get classed as boomers, especially when we’re doing things like laughing at smash players talking about how street fighter is a real fighting game

There were plenty of places around where I lived that had arcade cabs. There was this one pizza place by the train station that would always get the newest Capcom games. I was introduced to Darkstalkers, VS series, and Alpha thanks to that place. Most of the neighborhood kids would go there to play games. A corner store two blocks away from it had Tekken 2 and X-Men: Children of the Atom.

A couple of blocks down there was a video rental store that usually carried 3D fighters. I mostly remember playing Soul Calibur, Tekken 3 and NBA Jam there. Across the street from it was another pizza place that had Power Stone, and whatever racing game was hot at the time. 

Laundromats here mostly carried Neo Geo cabs so there's where I would play Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown 4, and SVC Chaos. It's also where I would play rail gun shooters like Area 51, and Time Crisis.

Movie theaters were the best imo. It's where I got introduced to Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead, Terminator games, Daytona USA, and some other Namco rail shooters I'm forgetting right now. 

Man, I miss arcades 😭

24 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, I agree with this. I certainly have some “boomer” tendencies/opinions.

it’s also funny because I’m almost 37, but when when I was 17, do you know how old 37 seemed? Shit seemed like you should be getting to retire then.

I kinda understand why dude’s my age get classed as boomers, especially when we’re doing things like laughing at smash players talking about how street fighter is a real fighting game

I can’t wait till I’m like 40 and I can tell every breathing thing I see to get off my lawn

9 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Also, 3S was on a finicky board that was prone to breaking. 

I've never seen a CPS III game in the wild.

CPS3 sux. There are only 2 games on it to my knowledge, and both suck...

The neutral throw with Ken to kill Makoto can literally break the board beyond repair...

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah the boomer insult makes me laugh because it makes no damn sense. My mom is a boomer. If you are born after 1964, you are too young to be a boomer. You a dozen years off from a boomer at 45

You expect zoomers and millenials to make any sense? Lol

I am 38 and have been called boomer.

They use boomer for anyone older than them.

Lets not forget that smashers call motion inputs, boomer inputs now, lol.

Edited by Hecatom
2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Aren't you the same person who told us not to get manipulative of your words and then followed that up by saying that you'll continue to spout BS because you have a tool to do so?

Legit asking because, as a zoomer, I can never make sense of anything.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Wouldn't know. Not a boomer. Jokes aside, insulting someone with a term that doesn't apply to them makes the person hurling the assault look like an idiot. My friend in college was Filipino someone hit him with a Mexican insult. Which made them look dumb because he wasn't Mexican. He wasn't even Latino. 🤣

Double post.

Filipinos are "latinos"

Latin Asians/Hispanic Asians

Latino and Hispanic is not a race thing, and iis not tied to only latin america.

Latino and Hispanic are a commonality traits based on cultures that descend from Latin/Rome and Spaniards repectively.

So, for example, Spaniards, French, Portuguese, Brazilians, Italians, etc all are Latinos.

But only Spaniards, All spanish speaking countries, Filipinos are hispanics.

I know in usa some people like to use Latino as a descriptor of race, but is totally wrong, since for example you can have black latinos, native latinos, mixed latinos, chinese latinos (very common in my country since we have generations of chinese inmigrants that no longer have any cultural ties to china)

Just in my family we have a lot of different etnicities on it, with jews, blacks, caucasians, naties, etc, and all of us are latinos, lol.

Edited by Hecatom
2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Aren't you the same person who told us not to get manipulative of your words and then followed that up by saying that you'll continue to spout BS because you have a tool to do so?

Legit asking because, as a zoomer, I can never make sense of anything.

Man, every time i read one of your posts i have to wonder what kind of drugs you take, because many times the shit you say doesnt make sense, lmao.

What the fuck has your reply to do with anythinbg i said, 🤣

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Expect? No. We are talking about the crybaby participation trophy generation. I expect little and hope for the best. 😉

Edit: @HecatomI knew about all that...except Filipino's being a Latino. My friend didn't consider himself Latino and I didn't bother to question him on it.  Side note: I've only met one Spaniard. Dude got salty if anyone called him Latino. Is there some sort of beef that would cause his reaction?

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Expect? No. We are talking about the crybaby participation trophy generation. I expect little and hope for the best. 😉

I have to ask something.

Isnt the Millenials the ones that are the participation trophy gen?

I am sure that zoomers are the one that makes my adhd look like i am a professional chess player taking 10 hours  to make a single move, lol.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

I have to ask something.

Isnt the Millenials the ones that are the participation trophy gen?

I am sure that zoomers are the one that makes my adhd look like i am a professional chess player taking 10 hours  to make a single move, lol.

Truthfully, designations like Baby Boomer, Generation X, and Millennial often make no sense. Any gap more than a decade tends to be problematic in my view. What does a Millennial born in 1980 have in common with one born in 1996? Hell in my case I'm Gen X. I have a lot more in common with early 80s Millennials. My former co-worker was Gen X like me, but she was born in 1965. We didn't relate at all. She had more in common with my mom, a boomer, born in 1959.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m annoyed with myself now, but I barely even played at arcades when I was a kid... I was terrible at fighting games back then, and especially worse when I was using sticks as I was so used to pad - I could never get any special moves to come out and I’d spend the whole match trying, instead of just trying to win

As the arcades died in my area in the mid 90s, it was always a pleasure to find the odd arcade cab in places you wouldn't think to look.

I hit this trucker's stop on my evening commute home from college to gas up all the time, then one day explore it to find it had a Fighters History cab in the back.  Totally unfamiliar with the name, I play and discover it's a solid game. So many happy quarters ended my day that semester. 

A year or two later I'm in a hole-in-the-wall noodle shop for lunch and hear the faint sound of hadokens from the back.  This is how I discovered SF Alpha existed. 

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Truthfully, designations like Baby Boomer, Generation X, and Millennial often make no sense. Any gap more than a decade tends to be problematic in my view. What does a Millennial born in 1980 have in common with one born in 1996? Hell in my case I'm Gen X. I have a lot more in common with early 80s Millennials. My former co-worker was Gen X like me, but she was born in 1965. We didn't relate at all. She had more in common with my mom, a boomer, born in 1959.

Totally agree.

Is specially troublesome when you take socioeconomic differences and cultural differences as well.

My experiences in my country vastly differ with the ones of someone from USA Ney York, even if we both were born the same day.

Then add that my parents are actual boomers born in 1951 and 1959 respectively, so it muddies things even more, lol.

If we go by what some sites say, i should be considered a millenial/late gen x, but i have more in common with late 70s gex in many things because we had like a delay of 10 years with the new technology here, internet didnt became a full common thing in houses until the early 2000s, same for cable tv.

My 1st console was an Atari 2600 on 1990, lol.

8 hours ago, TheDarkPhoenix said:

In 99 there were hella arcades and cabs.

Where you at? There wasn't any around Central Ohio growing up. 

I forgot about Magic Mountain yesterday. It had a soul calibur cab and maybe an VF2 cab... But that was about it. We only had ticket arcades with skiball and coin drop games around here, and there were only like 2. 

Edited by KingTubb
11 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I was born in 95 and depending on the writer I’m late af millennial or the oldest gen-z’er on earth. It makes no sense

Funny enough ive been experiencing a similar thing with music. I’ve been organizing my music into playlists by era (90’s, 00’s, etc) as a sort of virtual music time capsule for the future and I’ve noticed that the playlists don’t mesh well if you go above 4-5 years. Like when I break down my 2000’s playlist, I hear 3 different main themes. The turn of the century stuff which sounds like the 90’s +1, the stuff from like 04-08 which is the main 2000’s sound I thought of when making this list, and then last stuff from 08-10 which is just the prologue to the trap explosion in the 2010’s. However my “2020” playlist sounds very coherent, and the couple songs from 2019 I added don’t sound out of place at all. 

Edited by Vhozite
1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I was born in 95 and depending on the writer I’m late af millennial or the oldest gen-z’er on earth. It makes no sense

I think the best way to separate the millennials and gen-z'ers is what your memory of the internet and cell phones is. If you can't remember a time before the internet (or at the very least, don't remember dial up and AOL), or before everyone had a cell phone in their pocket, you're a zoomer. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

I think the best way to separate the millennials and gen-z'ers is what your memory of the internet and cell phones is. If you can't remember a time before the internet (or at the very least, don't remember dial up and AOL), or before everyone had a cell phone in their pocket, you're a zoomer. 

I never experienced not having a phone, but I'm used to landlines and fax machines.

I used a lot of VCRs, VHSs, cassettes, etc. Can repair all of them too. Dial up was so short lived that I can't remember it well, but I must have experienced it for about a month...

I didn't use AOL, I used Lime.