Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Or those stupid 1-800 Collect Call numbers that dude from Scream was always hocking. Like my dude you're in movies, you are not calling anyone collect.

"Hello? Abdi, thank god you picked up. Ayo you remember that cousin that fought a ghost? Did he stab or burn the motherfucker? Word? He burned him? Where am I supposed to get napalm, Abdi? Fuck's wrong with you? Yeah, man, whatever."

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Where you at? There wasn't any around Central Ohio growing up. 

I forgot about Magic Mountain yesterday. It had a soul calibur cab and maybe an VF2 cab... But that was about it. We only had ticket arcades with skiball and coin drop games around here, and there were only like 2. 

In southern Louisiana, but just about any mall I went to from atl to Tx had a arcade if not two at that time, now it was right around the time when the only thing that was really really keeping them alive were Dance Dance, tekken, and  loyal fighting game players.

17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Edit: @HecatomI knew about all that...except Filipino's being a Latino. My friend didn't consider himself Latino and I didn't bother to question him on it.  Side note: I've only met one Spaniard. Dude got salty if anyone called him Latino. Is there some sort of beef that would cause his reaction?

At the top of my head

Probably the most recent waves of inmigration that have been happening from latin america to europe, principally spain.

You know how it is, when massive waves on inmigration happen, you can see some form of xenophobia and nationalism breed on parts of the local population.

Is kind of inevitable, even good people sometimes get their perception influenced.

Also, perhaps some form of pride being hurt because he is being compared to latin americans when he is european, and not saying is his case, but some spaniards tend to look as lesser beings the people from latin america for not being european/spaniards, which is fueled due the constant beef of latin americans seeing spaniards as dumb people due some regional stereotypes, and well, having a horrid amount of dubs that simply sound horrible, lol, with the internet you see a lot of hate being thrown to spaniards and spain due the historical events, and memes.

And/or lastly, this is speculation btw, he has more experience with the usa way of use latino instead of the correct one used everywhere else.

Side note.

There is also the fact that despite having so much in common, latinos/hispanics beef between each other a lot.

Just look how central americans and mexicans hate each other a lot in certain circumstances.

And this has been going since the colonial days.

Our history is filled with a lot of shit that has made us be frienemies.

It is why for Latin amricans in actual latin america, the whole latino pride movement on usa seems ridiculous, since even with having a lot in common, we still have our differences that lead to real actual societal conflicts both between countries and inside them as well.

Not to mention that most latinos, despite how leberal they are, would be considered alt right by the left on usa, since many still hold a lot of conservative values, being catholics and all that lol. 

Like in Spain, Mexico has been having an increase rise of nationalism and xenophobia due the migration waves, where the people who are unable to get into USA, stay in Mexico, and that breeds conflict, is not everyone or everywhere, but is happening.

Just recently there was some uproar because Mexico's president said that the Covis vaccines would be used mostly if only on the Mexican population and not the illegal inmigrants.

Edited by Hecatom
6 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I think the best way to separate the millennials and gen-z'ers is what your memory of the internet and cell phones is. If you can't remember a time before the internet (or at the very least, don't remember dial up and AOL), or before everyone had a cell phone in their pocket, you're a zoomer. 

Guess I'm on the DBZ Gen then.

I still remember a time when I looked at my cousin using dialup and asking "What is even the point of this? Let's fire up the 64 and play some Banjo-Tooie."

4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

How about floppy disk, beeper and phone cards

Yo, I had some floppy games. I remember one that I'm pretty sure was Doom and one futuristic that had flying cars and you had to look for a guy, there were both suspects and bounty hunters flying around the city too.

I wish I remembered the name. Low key want to play it again.

Since I can't, I'mma call it "Cyberpunk but it actually runs properly." 🤣

My cousin had a copy of Pokemon Red on a floppy too. Come to think of it, this shit is wild, I don't remember emulation glitches on it. Game wasn't even that old, iirc that was on 00~01.

Edited by Volt
4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

How about floppy disk, beeper and phone cards

Or black and white tvs and towns without electricity, lol. 

While i lived in the city, each time i went to the countryside to visit relatives, i basically lived on the late 1800 early 1900 for 2 months each year, riding horses, sraying playing on the rivers and exploring mountains with my distant cousins since i was 6 up to when i was 14 when the towns finally got electricity and more people got tvs. 

Before that, only an aunt had a tv and a power plant, so she had a little business where people went to se old mexican40s to 80s movies on her tv, like a cinema of sorts. 

No wonder i can be such a boomer at times, lol. 

In my childhood i basically experienced the whole spectrum from lost gen to early millenial 😂😂

Edited by Hecatom

Here in my country things were kinda late in fad and trends during the 90s era, in the 80s video games were like the arcade and home console were banned  and media were regulated because of the previous gov't that ruled for a very long term. Even some mecha anime were banned because of fearing a revolt and opposition to that gov't. 

Nowadays  after 2012 new political agenda seems to rise and tries to be push a historical revisionism propaganda through facebook because most of the aged 40 beyond people here are illiterate to internet.

People can still get a console by being given as gifts through imports. Because there are no console here being sold. You can see it in early 2005 and 2008 Videogame documentaries that it was mentioned about the banning of video games, but you would see trolls like new accounts that are filipino that would comment from 2014 and beyond from those historical videos in youtube were fake news that would say it wasn't true and people here were living a good life and wealthy. LOL

It's like the China Gov't playbook of the 50 cent army. And Philippines is a third world country, So owning a console here(except famicom) from later 90s was a luxury and the privileged that has a parent from abroad. I'm talking here as a perspective of an average joe kid.

However Famicom here very is rampant and cheap like other the other neighboring countries like Taiwan and etc. that's why there were modified famicom that are turned arcades but it's timer based. So by the starts of the 90s era were the boom of gaming was arcades and arcades were the go-on entertainment of kids when the snes and megadrive era was on the rise.  So people here mostly wasn't into RPG and those into having save state unless it's a famicom game. Philippines were like one year late in adopting SF2 craze. 

@Volt, i am curious what game that was though... Wolfenstein 3d, and Doom 1/2 were definitely on floppies, but by the time Duke Nukem 3D came out, everything was on CD.

None of those games start in a “city-like place with brick walls everywhere” though... It may have been one of the many “doom clones” released at the time

Arcades were rampant and popular in malls and groceries in the beginning of the 90s after a long regime, mostly beat em ups and fighting games.  I used to lived nearby a grocery. 

There were no piracy regulation that time, So known big Arcade Centers here had bootlegs of SF2WW and CE instead of official ones, I believe there were no official versions of WW and CE. It would be looked ordinary and expensive by arcade owners. We had HF but it never went as popular because it was expensive and the bootleg version were more flashy to kids here. However the first official versions that became popular was Super not Super Turbo.

We had ST cabinet here but we had no ST scene here, because of the ai being hard, So it's never became popular and also it was because of the rise of other fighters during ST release. MK wasn't popular until MK3. Darkstalker were played more than MK1 and MK2, KI wasn't known here. VF scene were nowhere here.

Kids would only play ST because of Akuma or DeeJay able to spam the CPU, but they would go more to the bootleg cabs.

World Heroes and SamSho were the known alternatives to the bootleg version of SF2 not Fatal Fury and AOF(even we had them here) this was  before the arrival of Darkstalker and Alpha series.

The first arcades 90s- were like american arcades from the stick(Lever like) and people were standing circa 90-94.  Later in along 95 were the rise of japanese like arcade machine that people are sitting but they were bootlegs and it's this:

300px-Hitech.jpg

Which was also a clone of an arcade. Since were near Taiwan and China piracy and bootlegs were easy to catch on, And Piracy has no regulation or restriction here that time. 

We here only catch-up with the fad and trends after the release of PSX, but still a bit late because it's about piracy as usual. lol

Then that's when the megadrives and snes became cheap and accessible to everyone and also some were turned in timed arcade cabinets like the famicom and the average joe kid  here were not originally hyped by the console games that's why they are mostly turned into timed arcade machines.

And during the PSX era thats when the arcade became so cheap before arcade tokens cost like 4 pesos then  during 96 it rise to 6 pesos then in 98 it became 1 peso per game so it didn't need tokens anymore.

That time a local neighbor in street can already had one or two  bootleg arcade cabinet with real original arcade pcb  in their backyards that kids would come and play because they were so cheap and the cost per game is just for one peso.  This was also the start when a group of teens were robbing pcb by covering the machine as group and opening the cabs. 

Arcade cabinets were usually set into the highest difficulty here in the Philippines back in the 90s. 

The final nail in the coffin of the arcade was the start of cheap PC because of import tons surplus computer parts that everyone can now buy it less than the price of a PSX, while there was already BLEEM. Then later Counter Strike divided the youth. StarCraft is the start of the craze for PC gaming here but that time owning a PC was still expensive.

The most popular scene here is Tekken Tag, Tekken 5DR, MVC2 and Xmen vs SF.   

Next is KOF, KOF easily became popular since it's debut in 94. KOF 02 and 98 had a strong scene here. Organized scene was also very late here, It was because of facebook groups that it became a norm. KOF 98 and 02 was the recommended  just in the era of Tekken 5, before everyone would like any KOF title.

CVS2 has a player base but wasn't popular because the machine was very niche. 3rd Strike appeared in arcades here and has a following but it's very niche. 

3rd strike never took off here not because the machine is niche like CVS2 but because many here more attracted to flashy team mechanics in that era when 3rd strike was around and release however it has a playerbase. Tekken Tag, KOF99, 01 and 03 are mostly played here compare to 3rd strike. 3rd strike machine were not uncommon in malls and small arcades compare to CVS2.

SVC, MSH and SFEX titles were also a popular title here because of being wide spread.  

Mercy round had only later became popular in games like MSH and Tekken when it's not the mainstream games anymore

This was before SF4 was announced. SF4 and UMVC3 had became successful here but SFV is a dead scene here. Tekken 7 is doing well here.

Nowadays here arcades is dead here, you can still see some in philippines provinces like the Hi-Tech cabs... but the difference now is they are laggy because it's not the usual arcade pcb and it's run by an old pc with outdated emulators. 

There are still arcades in the malls but most of them are broken, poor maintenance and no technician available, because now they capitalized with bootleg pinball games that disposes tickets. You can still see some one or two arcade cabinets it's either MVC2, Tekken Tag and Tekken 5 in malls.

I wasn't actively spending much time in going anymore in the arcades in later 2005, I was into MTG and then later collecting hobby in 2008. 

I know the MVC2 rule in Philippines was mentioned before in SRK about the damage settings to be down to one. I believe that was later became a norm when around 2006 when organized played is starting to occur and everyone has stable communication because of social media. 

Which was shown in the fight of Justin with JR Bata,  when he visited here in Philippines. My brother had been a friend with JR bata sometime in 2013-2015 when he regularly meets him in a mall where he regularly plays because that mall was near to the working place of my brother.

I'm not part of the organized competitive scene here nor my brother is in the competitive scene of MTG, I'm mostly in the collector side. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
29 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

@Volt, i am curious what game that was though... Wolfenstein 3d, and Doom 1/2 were definitely on floppies, but by the time Duke Nukem 3D came out, everything was on CD.

None of those games start in a “city-like place with brick walls everywhere” though... It may have been one of the many “doom clones” released at the time

Could be. It wasn't my jam, so I hardly remember it and definitely didn't go much farther than the first level.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Yo, I had some floppy games. I remember one that I'm pretty sure was Doom and one futuristic that had flying cars and you had to look for a guy, there were both suspects and bounty hunters flying around the city too.

I don't know if that was another world?

AnotherWorld1-1.jpg

I only played tons of 90s DOS PC games in the beginning of 2000 when I started owning a PC.

That's when I got my hands to castle wolftenstein, doom and diablo.

Edited by Shakunetsu
13 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Ok what is happening here?

Does it have to do with him dropping his pipe? Like, did he hit a button, drop his pipe cause he's out of meter, thus giving him a messed up hurtbox? 

edit: nope, it just didn't do damage? It didn't whiff, cody is literally on fire at 6 seconds and it pushed him back. Weird

edit 2: It way his V-skill, it's a doge. Dude just side stepped it

Edited by KingTubb
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Ok what is happening here? I’ve watched the clip like 5 times and have no idea. I know nothing about Cody. 

Cody’s second v skill is a dodge that is completely invincible. Akuma’s super being one hit makes it super easy to dodge so he did just that and punished. Which doesn’t seem like an actual punish since there was no counter text.