Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

11 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Do y'all think that a fighting game needs to have locals to be successful?

Or at least in person majors? 

I've seen the argument that GBFV crashed so hard in the USA because it dropped weeks before COVID shut the country down. 

But it also has butt netcode. Would of it of faired better if the netcode was good? OR is it doomed no matter what without in person events, especially ones like CB, CEO, EVO etc... 

Gonna ask, you say it has butt netcode because is delay?

Because from my experience the netcode is one of the best out there.

Niggas just assume nowdays that a netcode is bad just because is not rollback and that shit is just retarded.

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

... where people assumed the netcode was trash (not saying it’s not) and didn’t bother to even pick it up...

The sad thing is that the netcode is not bad at all, but idiots are now memeing that rollback or gtfo.

But the truth is that once every game has rollback people will start saying some other shit to justify why they dont buy x or y game.

Everyone is salivating for Strive right now, but once it frops most people wouldnt buy it or if they do they will drop it in a month at most.

BTW, dunno where this idiocy that the game bombed has come from.

The game did indeed get hurt by covid, but it sold well enough to not be considered a failure by Cygames.

And it has an active online scene, so dunno what kind of crack some people here are smoking.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Gonna ask, you say it has butt netcode because is delay?

Because from my experience the netcode is one of the best out there.

Niggas just assume nowdays that a netcode is bad just because is not rollback and that shit is just retarded.

The netcode is standard delay-based stuff.  I wouldn't necessarily call it 'one of the best out there' though.  It's just average.

I don't have a ton of problems playing with other people on the east coast.  That being said you can definitely feel it when you try to play someone from California.  It's not great, and is definitely worse than rollback.

Game is good and is doing well in Japan I think.  The license isn't as popular in NA and most Americans have shit internet so it's no surprise it didn't do well when the pandemic hit.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

GBVS netcode works well for me when I stay in my coast. I generally have no issues when I stay in the New York server. When other people who ain't regional show up I start to have problems. When the frame delay goes above 5 my experience begins to dip. 

Last time I played the servers were dead in Canada, so I had to play in the New York server.  Problem was the connections to New York aren't good, whereas in SFV I can play New Yorkers just fine.  I mean I don't see how anyone can defend delay based netcode .  It's okay when you get someone close by but as soon as a games population begins to dwindle it becomes frustrating trying to find good quality games.  

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

The netcode is standard delay-based stuff.  I wouldn't necessarily call it 'one of the best out there' though.  It's just average.

I don't have a ton of problems playing with other people on the east coast.  That being said you can definitely feel it when you try to play someone from California.  It's not great, and is definitely worse than rollback.

Game is good and is doing well in Japan I think.  The license isn't as popular in NA and most Americans have shit internet so it's no surprise it didn't do well when the pandemic hit.

Nah, is way above average.

An average delay netcode is something like what we had with SFIV and what we have with UNICLR.

I can play without problems with people on USA, Mexico, Colombia, Taiwan and Japan with it.

But i can agree that with the garbage infrastructure that a lot of gringos have, it wouldnt matter how good the netcode is they will still struggle.

That is something that Rollback will always be better to mask, although like i have said before, a lot of idiots are dellusional when they say that they have beetr connections on rollback, but is a teleport show where you are having rollbacks every 2 seconds.

Those niggas are whack.

17 minutes ago, Skort said:

Can i be honest here ?  

I have many issues with SFV but netcode is not on top of the list. Sure it can be improved, but overall the game runs fine for me in most connections. I just don't really enjoy the gameplay so much sadly. 

I do like the franchise though, i really hope it improves and SF 6 turns out to be a far better game.

The netcode is apparently a lot better on PC, but it’s terrible on a PS4. It’s the worst netcode I’ve experienced compared to other modern games, including Samsho 2019 and GG Rev 2.

edit: i’m solely using my experience playing people here, that I’ve played in other games. King Tubb especially as I think we’ve played like 7 different fighting games with each other in recent times, and they were all perfectly playable (great connections in fact), except for SFV which was pretty much unplayable. I’ve played people like darc requiem in other games where it’s great and a lag-fest in SFV as well. Despite my issues with the game, I love it, but I will not play it with the current state of the netcode

Edited by Mattatsu
5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

The netcode is apparently a lot better on PC. It’s terrible on a PS4 though.

Never owned a console so i can't comment.  

I hope all FG in the future have cross play but not at the sacrifice of a terrible experience for either sides. It's not a super popular genre compared to others, so splitting the player base is not a wise thing to do.  

Sadly, GG Strive has cross play for consoles only. One can hope SF 6 is on all platforms, PC , Xbox and PlayStation and has cross play.

SFV netcode might be some of the most discouraging in a recent title. I think SFV is interesting enough at this point to be pretty fun locally but being stuck in lock down with so many other titles to pass the time with a superior online experience (fightcade, nulldc bear, etc) , it's a really lacklustre experience.

I think you can see it a bit with the player base as well. Once you are beyond the lower levels, there really isn't THAT many people playing online. I think it's a pretty contentious issue considering there was a fix and then SFV patched it out.

23 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Do y'all think that a fighting game needs to have locals to be successful?

Or at least in person majors? 

I've seen the argument that GBFV crashed so hard in the USA because it dropped weeks before COVID shut the country down. 

But it also has butt netcode. Would of it of faired better if the netcode was good? OR is it doomed no matter what without in person events, especially ones like CB, CEO, EVO etc... 

Priorities for an FG to thrive.

1 - Netcode

2 - Good character design

3 - Having all characters be at least viable

4 - Solid single player content (not necessarily story, but it helps)

5 - cosmetic shit for constant money

That's about it really.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

The netcode is apparently a lot better on PC,

I hope that's not true, because it's basura on PC.

There are no shortage of games with good netcode out there and Strive is going to have the same netcode as AC+R. That's something to look forward to.

Dunno how good Tekken is now, can't play that game to save my life. 🤣

12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

And you always assume that if someone says something has bad netcode it's because it's delay. 

I think Fightcade and SFV have shit netcode and they're both rollback. SC6's netcode is pretty good in my experience, and it's delay. 

You're the only person I've heard say the netcode is good. I've only heard that it's either bad, or it's on par with other ASW fighters like DBFZ, which I've rarely ever had a good match in, and Xrd, which is stable as long as the person is relatively close and has a very stable connection. 

If there was sources saying that GBFV had great netcode and matchmaking, I'd jump in. But I never caught wind of that. Plus it's never on sale, so why pick it up, especially when I'd probably have to ping someone here or on discord to get a match? 

For example, I've had better matches with @M A R T I A Non Fightcade (which i think has shitty netcode) than I did with DBFZ, so I used my past experiences to say no thanks. 

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

The netcode is apparently a lot better on PC, but it’s terrible on a PS4. It’s the worst netcode I’ve experienced compared to other modern games, including Samsho 2019 and GG Rev 2.

edit: i’m solely using my experience playing people here, that I’ve played in other games. King Tubb especially as I think we’ve played like 7 different fighting games with each other in recent times, and they were all perfectly playable (great connections in fact), except for SFV which was pretty much unplayable. I’ve played people like darc requiem in other games where it’s great and a lag-fest in SFV as well. Despite my issues with the game, I love it, but I will not play it with the current state of the netcode

You're playing a different sam sho 2019 than I am.  That net code is god awful.    SFV netcode gets a lot of hate, but it's honestly not that bad.

6 minutes ago, Murphy0X said:

You're playing a different sam sho 2019 than I am.  That net code is god awful.    SFV netcode gets a lot of hate, but it's honestly not that bad.

To be fair, I’ve only played Samsho online a few times (against four different people here, and two online ranked sets). In those times, I played KingTubb and Darc Requiem from here and our matches were fine, despite being really bad in SFV... 

I’m also new to the game, and it’s a slower pace, so maybe the delay is bad but I’m just not realizing it? I’m not ruling that out, but all of our games were highly playable and it felt like offline to me. I’ve had very different experiences in SFV.

To clarify: my matches in SFV against Darc never used to be bad, but the last two times we played a few months ago (after the last netcode patch) it was bad... Better then after the first patch a year or so ago, but worse than it was before that.

Edited by Mattatsu
2 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

A good Delay Netcode will give you better matches, than bad rollback.

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Yuuuuup! I'm lucky that @Mattatsucan't find a game to stick with and we play way too many different games, so I know what serval netcodes looks like under the same conditions. 

SFV-BAD

T7 (pre netcode update)- Pretty BAD

Xrd- Pretty good!

30A- Surprisingly, really good!

FC- BAD

Skullgirls- Decent

MK11- The actual best 

MvCi- Very Good 

Samsho- Good! (outside of the lounge we had a couple weeks ago, my experience has been miserable) 

Other games I've played, but not with Matt:

DBFZ: Pretty bad

UNIST: Prolly the worst I've experience 

BBTAG: Mediocre to bad

FEXL: Good!

Last Blade 2: Very Good 

SC6: Pretty good

I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of any right now... 

1 minute ago, elliephil said:

Please explain yourself lol

I know I sound crazy, but @Mattatsuand pertho (Wherever he may be🙏) can attest, our FC matches sucked eggs. 

It was jittery, rollbacking constantly, and overall messy and bad. 30A were way better. I remember pertho flat out told me that if I want to play 3S it has to be on 30A because it was pretty miserable on FC. 

And i didn't pick up Xrd until it was already pretty empty, so I've really only played online with Matt and BornWinner , and the matches worked and we didn't have any issues. 

I will say that I have a 11 year old, crappy laptop, so it may not be running FC2 the best which could effect our games. Though 30A on PC runs fine and that’s how I play Dayaan now, though I play everyone else on PS4.

I think Pertho has a better computer than I though, so idk. I don’t think I played him on FC2... Honestly, I haven’t played FC2 that much other than for the X-men arcade beat’em up 🤣

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I know I sound crazy, but @Mattatsuand pertho (Wherever he may be🙏) can attest, our FC matches sucked eggs. 

It was jittery, rollbacking constantly, and overall messy and bad. 30A were way better. I remember pertho flat out told me that if I want to play 3S it has to be on 30A because it was pretty miserable on FC. 

And i didn't pick up Xrd until it was already pretty empty, so I've really only played online with Matt and BornWinner , and the matches worked and we didn't have any issues. 

Huh, that's pretty crazy. I've been playing GGPO/FightCade for years and this is the first time I've heard someone say they had a terrible experience (assuming all of you are on wired with stable connections.)

30A is great for offline local but I've had less than great times playing it online. The Xrd community really hates the online experience. On a higher level of play, it's incredibly inconsistent considering how crazy technical that game can get.

10 hours ago, Dayaan said:

That's really high frame delay. Does it not matter in GB?

AWS games have generous frame buffers. 

42 minutes ago, Murphy0X said:

My experience with sam sho has been a mixed bag. Lots of ok games and slideshows. Even with it's ass netcode I would have still played it. The last time I took it online the game was a ghost town. Guess people have given up on it

Edited by Hawkingbird

I'm kinda curious to see what Dan is going to be like. Whether they keep him a joke character (kinda wasted) or if they make him a theoretically competitive character that just has funny animations (kinda like what Abigail is to be honest).

At least there will something more interesting to do other than just checking in on the thread and posting the occasional lewd art. Like this:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Source:

Edited by Phantom_Miria
8 hours ago, Skort said:

Never owned a console so i can't comment.  

I hope all FG in the future have cross play but not at the sacrifice of a terrible experience for either sides. It's not a super popular genre compared to others, so splitting the player base is not a wise thing to do.  

Sadly, GG Strive has cross play for consoles only. One can hope SF 6 is on all platforms, PC , Xbox and PlayStation and has cross play.

Crossdplay involves a lot of logistics and monthly costs behind that makes it not an easy feat to do.

For crossplay to be a standard Sony, Microsoft and Steam would need to be willing to play ball with each other and allow the games on their servers to have it as a feature.

If not, each company needs to set their own infrastructure and a sustainable monetization either in the game, or on other games/apps hosted on the servers to make it happen.

I know a lot of niggas like to bring the Power Rangers game as an example of a small company having crossplay, but those niggas overlook that the company behind it already had the infrastructure for their mobile games, and still are a mobile games company.

If they had setup that infrastructure only for PRBotG, with the monetization scheme they have in place, the company would have gone under long time ago.

People should focus on what is actually feasible that is asking for better netcode.

Crossplay is absolutely desirable, but is not realistic most of the times.

6 hours ago, KingTubb said:

And you always assume that if someone says something has bad netcode it's because it's delay. 

No.

I am just stating a fact.

Where a lot of retards those days just auto assume that a game having delay inmediately means is bad and unplayable.

Of course, there are bad delay netcodes, but there are also plenty of ones that are actually good, and only struggle when

A) The player has bad infrastructure.

B) There are not enough close servers to them to allow for a better conectivity.

It is why you would see that even netcodes that are considered good by many, be rollback or delay can be a mixed bad for other people.

Like really man, what niggas call bad this days is hilarious.

Bad is something like GGAC, Battle Fantasia, KOFXII and KOFXIII, where you cant even play people on your same fucking city.

5 hours ago, elliephil said:

Huh, that's pretty crazy. I've been playing GGPO/FightCade for years and this is the first time I've heard someone say they had a terrible experience (assuming all of you are on wired with stable connections.)

Hmm.

Back in the day when i still played GGPO, my experience with it was a nightmare.

But not because the netcode, but because how people configured their shit.

I was always matched against idiots who configured with 0 delay on the buffer (I assume), that, or they were still running shit like bittorrent on the background because a lot of the matches were always teleport fests.

I assume that nowdays people are better informed and you dont have that kind of issues being as frequent as before.

But man, it made me hate playing online back in the day.

I really didnt like 3S much to begin with, and playing it online in that kind of scenario didnt help at all 🤣

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

AWS games have generous frame buffers. 

My experience with sam sho has been a mixed bag. Lots of ok games and slideshows. Even with it's ass netcode I would have still played it. The last time I took it online the game was a ghost town. Guess people have given up on it

From my experience, it seems most people either play on public lobbies really late, like from 10 pm to 3 -4Am central time or in the case  of the western playerbase a lot prefer to play on private lobbies organized on discrod and facebook groups.

Due the inconsistencies of the netcode, the players prefer to stick to people they know will have reliable connections instead of tossing a coin on the air to play.