Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

11 hours ago, Serpent said:

SF4 was widely criticized by my local scene and pretty much killed it. But when SFV came out people talked up how important SF4 was and insisted it was peak SF and the highest skill ever possible, while shitting all over the previous games.

So now I'm really interested in 6 coming out which would be two gens removed, I suspect people will talk up SFV and shit on SF4, while a lot of the newer players will argue with the SFV players (who will shit on 6 too). That's really the only thing I'm looking forward to about SF6, I dabbled in V for a little but realized I didn't care and it had just been too long. Even if another pandemic happens with new lockdowns, I don't think I'd try playing fighters again, I've moved on completely at this point and really don't respect the new scene at all. It's just older sellouts that should know better and mostly clueless newbies that usually don't even play, but love running their mouths.

SF4 was one of those games I liked less and less the more I learned about it. It's a bad game and no element of nostalgia goggles will change that imo. It's common for folks to act like the old game was the best because they haven't/don't want to adjust to the new one.

With that said, SF2 is still the best SF game to me, because there are no terrible gimmicks and it's just good fighting. The more I learn about fighting games, the more tired I get of SF but the more I appreciate SF2. 

7 hours ago, Chadouken said:

People still support Biden 😂

Supports a strong word I think...people tolerate him because he's actually getting shit done for normal people instead of just the rich fucks who already have plenty. 

That's why I tolerate him. I'm hardly a fan but I can name worse Presidents/Administrations in just the last 30 to 40 years. 

I'll take Biden over another Trump or God for fucking bid another fucking Reagan. Bidens hardly amazing but he's not bad either. 

I think it's a good sign when the best anyone can really come up with against him is he isn't the most confident public speaker in the room. Like "Oooohh sick burn" I guess. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

i think he means champ ed and hyper fighting and supersf2. i doubt he means super turbo or og vanilla sf2.

Whaddya mean? If people are talking pinnacle SF II, they are usually talking about either HF or ST. Even then those games do have issues of their own (i.e. Old Sagat in ST)

23 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

st introduced supers into the sf universe. that game was the beginning of the end of the golden era and began the dark ages of sf (sf3)

lol

Hm. It's hard for me to play anything outside of the old stuff, especially from the 1980s through the early 1990s. Weaponlord, Samurai Shodown 5 Perfect, Virtua Fighter 3, the first Tekken Tag, King Of Fighters 98, Tobal, Bushido Blade, and Chaos Breaker are nice exceptions to me though.

12 hours ago, Serpent said:

SF4 was widely criticized by my local scene and pretty much killed it. But when SFV came out people talked up how important SF4 was and insisted it was peak SF and the highest skill ever possible, while shitting all over the previous games.

So now I'm really interested in 6 coming out which would be two gens removed, I suspect people will talk up SFV and shit on SF4, while a lot of the newer players will argue with the SFV players (who will shit on 6 too). That's really the only thing I'm looking forward to about SF6, I dabbled in V for a little but realized I didn't care and it had just been too long. Even if another pandemic happens with new lockdowns, I don't think I'd try playing fighters again, I've moved on completely at this point and really don't respect the new scene at all. It's just older sellouts that should know better and mostly clueless newbies that usually don't even play, but love running their mouths.

That's just the Street Fighter cycle man. New game drops and the old games is suddenly GOAT status.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's just the Street Fighter cycle man. New game drops and the old games is suddenly GOAT status.

That's the Fighting Game Cycle period, and with how the last decade has gone, I'm gonna say that about videogames period. 

It kinda has me fucked up how now that Bayonetta 3 is out suddenly Bayonetta 2 is an amazing game that everyone loved as if the 8 years of people shitting on it for not being exactly like Bayo 1 never happened because Bayo 3 has an ending people don't like as we pretend anyone gave a single fuck about Bayonettas Narrative at any point in time. 

Same for movies, people acting like the Prequels are a beloved set of Star Wars movies, just pretending half the cast didn't try to kill themselves over the disgusting fan reception of those movies. STs out, now it's trendy to hate it and the Prequels where always awesome dontcha know!?!? 20 years from now some new SWs movies will come out and I'll be hearing about how amazing and beloved the ST was from beginning. Fuck I hear that about the OT but you can look up reviews from back then, many where unimpressed. 

The revisionist history sure does get old. 

18 hours ago, RSG3 said:

ll take Biden over another Trump or God for fucking bid another fucking Reagan. Bidens hardly amazing but he's not bad either. 

Whenever Republicans brought up the National Debt I side eyed them because of Reagan. Look at the national debt before he took office and after he left. 😒

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Whenever Republicans brought up the National Debt I side eyed them because of Reagan. Look at the nation debt before he took office and after he left. 😒

Bro you can play 7 degrees of Ronald Reagan for how incredibly far reaching his fuck ups truly are. 

With out a doubt the absolute worst fucking President we've ever had and probably will ever have imo. 40 years later and still dealing with the fall out of his fucked up administration. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

SF4 was one of those games I liked less and less the more I learned about it. It's a bad game and no element of nostalgia goggles will change that imo. It's common for folks to act like the old game was the best because they haven't/don't want to adjust to the new one.

With that said, SF2 is still the best SF game to me, because there are no terrible gimmicks and it's just good fighting. The more I learn about fighting games, the more tired I get of SF but the more I appreciate SF2. 

There are tons of terrible gimmicks in SF2 like throw loops.  It's a broken but it's fun like MVC2.  SF4 was solid until they added the dive kick twins.  They ruined the game because most characters couldn't deal with divekicks.

3 minutes ago, J-ride said:

There are tons of terrible gimmicks in SF2 like throw loops.  It's a broken but it's fun like MVC2.  SF4 was solid until they added the dive kick twins.  They ruined the game because most characters couldn't deal with divekicks.

But.... Rufus, Seth, and Akuma had dive kicks, and they came before Yun/Yang 🤔

45 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I mean...SFII has redizzies and grab loops there's plenty of terrible gimmicks in SFII. 

And I love SFII. 

Those aren't gimmicks like parries and focus attacks are gimmicks. Granted, the things you mentioned are holes in the gameplay but as far as I know, post Hyper Fighting there weren't really a lot of redizzys.

USF2 fixed some of the grab loops too, I wish people would play that game because outside of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken it's pretty well balanced and a ln excellent addition to the series.

18 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I mean subsystem gimmicks like focus attacks, parries, and custom combos. SF2 is just two character movesets against each other without anything else in between. The downside of this is that it makes the bad characters worse because they don't really have anything else to rely on, but even in 3s, the balance is godawful even with parries.

SF4 fucked up the risk/reward thing most good fighting games have by the addition of Ultras, absolute guard, and 1f links all at once. That and the game is ugly as fuck. I can respect that it picked up the profile of fighting games and made online a thing, but it's still a bad game imo. 

Edited by DoctaMario
50 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Those aren't gimmicks like parries and focus attacks are gimmicks.

I mean...I guess? One of the definitions of a gimmick is...

"An ingenious or novel device, scheme or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention, or increase appeal"

Now I think what you listed Fits the back half of that definition but I don't see how what I listed doesn't fit the first half. Redizzys and throw loops may not have been intended but they are schemes and stratagem, and they are definitely novel and seem to fall under the descriptor of a gimmick to me. 

Yes I do understand this is splitting hairs over a definition.

I've never played USF2. 

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I mean...I guess? One of the definitions of a gimmick is...

"An ingenious or novel device, scheme or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention, or increase appeal"

Now I think what you listed Fits the back half of that definition but I don't see how what I listed doesn't fit the first half. Redizzys and throw loops may not have been intended but they are schemes and stratagem, and seem to fall under the descriptor of a gimmick to me. 

Yes I do understand this is splitting hairs over a definition.

I've never played USF2. 

You should check out USF2. It's good, it only gets a bad rap because it's stuck on the Switch and because old heads hate learning new things lol

Redizzys and throw loops are definitely strategies, but they're not there to attract attention or increase the appeal of a game. Focus attacks, parries, etc. are supposed to be the things that help sell the game, that Capcom puts in to say "See? This isn't like our OLD game!"

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

Naw, I think Reagan was worse then Bush, worse then both Bush's in fact. 

Just now, VirginDefiler said:

reagan worse than nixon??? doubtful.

nixon worst.

kennedy best.

Actually I would argue 1st term Nixon might have been the last good president we've had though I'm not as up on what Ford did. They've all been varying degrees of bad since Carter anyway. Nixon actually did more for the poor and working class than every Democrat president that came after him, and while I won't say Reagan was necessarily GOOD, he essentially made it so that the poor would pay no income tax up to $10k, which doesn't sound like a lot, but my dad's starting teaching salary in 1977 was $9700 a year. He also, from what I understand,  managed to get more tax REVENUE from the wealthy than any president before him had by lowering the tax RATE, which shifted the tax burden from the middle class to the rich.

GWB started the trend of massively increasing the deficit, saying fuck trying to balance the budget, actively using the government muscle to convince corporations to do things the government couldn't legally do, and basically leaning hard into Republican bullshittery from the Executive Branch. Before him, REpublicans had to at least pretend to care about the working class.

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Redizzys and throw loops are definitely strategies, but they're not there to attract attention or increase the appeal of a game.

No, but they are novel device, scheme, or stratagem. 

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Focus attacks, parries, etc. are supposed to be the things that help sell the game, that Capcom puts in to say "See? This isn't like our OLD game!"

Thats literally every update to SFII lol. Chun Li can throw fireballs now to!!! Lol. 

reagan underestimated corporate greed.

This might be the funniest thing I read all day. Reagen knew exactly what the fuck he was doing and he knew exactly how greedy corporations would be with it. Trickle Down Economics wasn't an experiment, people called it out for what it was back in the 80's. It's a wealth transfer from the poor and middle class to the upper class and it has worked exactly as intended by Reagen and his fuck head cronies for 40 years. 

Unfortunately Reagan and his cock gobbling wife got away with it to. That and The War on Drugs that incarcerated minorities at an exponential rate for minor offenses, but I bet that was an unexpected consiquence to right? The president who called black people niggers on the phone definitely didn't mean to enact drug law that disproportionate effects poor and brown people right?

God I fucking Reagan. 

Edited by RSG3
14 hours ago, Serpent said:

That's really the only thing I'm looking forward to about SF6, I dabbled in V for a little but realized I didn't care and it had just been too long.

I found out about a local that started up nearby and wanted to go check it out.  I reinstalled SFV after not playing it for about 5 years, and I only have like 30% of the characters that are in the game now.  I don't really want to learn the game, so I was like "screw it, I'll just play Ryu."

I really hope 6 will be good though.

sheeeittt, the prequel Star Wars movies---  Episode 3 was the only one I cared about.  Those first 2 seemed unnecessary to me; the real point of interest was seeing when and how Anakin turned to the dark side.

Cool dream adventures last night--- I was in the "World of Darkness", as Tremere-clan vamp (not always my top choice but I'd definitely take that), teamed up with some Ventrue-clan who also knew a little thaumaturgy for some reason.  Oh yeah, and I had an apparent specialization in magical wards.  The focus was on combat, though I did make use of the "dominate"/compel ability on an enemy at one point, just commanding him to stop attacking so he was a sitting duck for whatever vicious attack we could lineup next....that shit was awesome....a shame it didn't last long before I woke up, back to this lame ass reality.

Whoever finally invents a device that records dreams to a real video format will make ridiculous amounts of money.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

trickle down theory economics was an experiment that failed, sure. reagan underestimated corporate greed. okay. but nixon was a straight up shifty grifter. reagan was a coke supporting hypocrite but he didnt do shit evilly like nix

Fam, he TRIPLED our national debt. When he took office, our debt was measured in billions when he left, it was measured in trillions. IIRC it went from 700 billion to 2.1 trillion dollars.

Edit: It's a Wikipedia link but I was close. It went 712 billion to 2.052 trillion dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics#:~:text=In dollar terms%2C the public,1980 to 4% in 1988.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

He also, from what I understand,  managed to get more tax REVENUE from the wealthy than any president before him had by lowering the tax RATE, which shifted the tax burden from the middle class to the rich.

Way more moving parts to the story than that.  The '81 tax cuts dropped Federal tax revenue by 9%, and were followed by tax increases in '82, '83. '84, and '87.  And then twice more by the guys after him.  Meanwhile, what actually drove tax revenue growth was the economy getting cracked out when the Fed dropped the prime interest rate from ~20% down to like 6% (there were some wild people driving the bus back then).  Shit was basically throwing an oxygen tank into a fire they'd almost snuffed out.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/12/08/what-we-learned-from-reagans-tax-cuts/

56 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Way more moving parts to the story than that.  The '81 tax cuts dropped Federal tax revenue by 9%, and were followed by tax increases in '82, '83. '84, and '87.  And then twice more by the guys after him.  Meanwhile, what actually drove tax revenue growth was the economy getting cracked out when the Fed dropped the prime interest rate from ~20% down to like 6% (there were some wild people driving the bus back then).  Shit was basically throwing an oxygen tank into a fire they'd almost snuffed out.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/12/08/what-we-learned-from-reagans-tax-cuts/

Sure, but none of that disputes that he got more money out of the rich than other administrations. Whether that was because more of them were amenable to paying due to the lowered tax rate or something else, they made up a much bigger part of the tax revenue base than they had before. He definitely overcorrected with the tax cuts though, which is why they rolled a lot of it back eventually.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Thats literally every update to SFII lol. Chun Li can throw fireballs now to!!! Lol. 

IMO it's more interesting to change up how the characters play via changes to movesets than it is to hamfistedly shove in subsystems that force them to play differently with the same movesets, but that's just me. The additions to the characters that came with Hyper Fighting and ST are more fun and interesting than what SF4 did with Focus Attacks because it shows growth in the characters and their playstyles rather than just making the best characters the ones that can vortex or FADC into Ultra.

6 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Whether that was because more of them were amenable to paying due to the lowered tax rate or something else

I guess, but the share the rich were paying would have jumped regardless because they were seeing the lion's share of income growth from the economic boom (like most economic booms).  I can't personally give him too much credit for that, because it was pretty much down to chance that he was the guy in the seat when the Fed course corrected.

Great public speaker though!

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Bro you can play 7 degrees of Ronald Reagan for how incredibly far reaching his fuck ups truly are. 

With out a doubt the absolute worst fucking President we've ever had and probably will ever have imo. 40 years later and still dealing with the fall out of his fucked up administration. 

I'll say Woodrow Wilson is the worst:

1614965566225219586_FmeD6hnXgAM5T5u.jpg

bill clinton eliminated the debt to zero.  so shrug about reagan.

but nixon created the hmo, which he knew was a scam. and he changed the basis of the dollar from gold to debt.

well, maybe not him personally but if i remember right during his administration the powers that be changed the whole money based on gold to money based on debt system. so idk man.

reagan not so bad.

reagan pimp hand too strong anyway for yall hate.

president-ronald-reagan.gif

so strong she felt it on the other side of her face. ya boiiii

you go cowboy!  

50 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

IMO it's more interesting to change up how the characters play via changes to movesets than it is to hamfistedly shove in subsystems that force them to play differently with the same movesets, but that's just me. The additions to the characters that came with Hyper Fighting and ST are more fun and interesting than what SF4 did with Focus Attacks because it shows growth in the characters and their playstyles rather than just making the best characters the ones that can vortex or FADC into Ultra.

And I'll agree with this 100% 👌 

35 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

btw,

anyone aussie in here? i got this yogurt from australia and they spelled yogurt as yoghurt.

and i was like ???

so i cant tell if mofos mispelled or if thats just how they write it down under.

I think Brits do the same thing. They also spell a few words differently like colour.

http://tysto.com/uk-us-spelling-list.html

Edited by J-ride
16 minutes ago, MillionX said:

You know they could not resist making a vid about this one:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

That is another one of those "taboo" subjects I happen to love---if only people (usually ladies) knew that sometimes yeah.... some of your friends probably beat off a few times to ya.

*queue the grimey Mr. Sinister voice--- If only they knewww....

Everyone goin hard at this dude and I'm over here disappointed he looks at porn on the work computer. SMH.