Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

The fact that Reagan is the president responsible for giving the go to all the para military activities that caused hundreds of thousands, if not millions of deaths in latin america during the 80s cements him as one of the worst presidents not only from USA, but in history of all time.

That mother fucker was there calling the Contras on Nicaragua heroes, just because they were "anti commies", yet those fuckers were out there killing innocent civilians and raping all the women they came across (and yes, even minors)

7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

SF4 was one of those games I liked less and less the more I learned about it. It's a bad game and no element of nostalgia goggles will change that imo. It's common for folks to act like the old game was the best because they haven't/don't want to adjust to the new one.

For me it was a combination of knowing more about the game and each revision being worse, with how much they kept nerfing the fun out of the characters.

Funny enough, even when I ended hating playing SF4, it was still fun to watch top play.

Unlike SFV, which while I could say that enjoy playing from time to time, it is fucking boring to watch for me, outside some specific characters.

With that said, SF2 is still the best SF game to me, because there are no terrible gimmicks and it's just good fighting. The more I learn about fighting games, the more tired I get of SF but the more I appreciate SF2. 

If I go by mechanics and gameplay feel alone.
I think my favorite would be CVS2 (I know is not really a SF game, but 🤷‍♂️)

If we go by impact/nostalgia then SF2 series.
Although the 1st SF game i played was a pirate version for NES called Master Fighter 2

The SF3 series was never really fun for me, mostly because by that point i preferred games with more intricate systems and a faster pacing, so was playing things like KI, SNK games, GG1, CVS2, DS, etc.

The alpha series was something I did enjoy a lot, but at the end is a eh, series for me, just right in the middle, maybe skewing a little into the like side

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's just the Street Fighter cycle man. New game drops and the old games is suddenly GOAT status.

Perhaps I am out of the loop, but I think that SFV while not as derided as SFIV was by this point on its life span, most of the people that still play it are more conscious of its shortcomings

There is not much blind praise like at the beginning, where people assumed I was just a hater due how I pointed out the flaws and problems of the game, and assumed that I didn't play it, like Devil Jin, who at times seemed more like a chill than a fan, because he couldn't seem to conceive that people liked the game but at the same time be critical about it, like me and Sonero.

Nowdays, it seems that people are also agreeing with what me and others said some years back, plus some more, all thanks to technical shortcomings and other fuckups during the years.

And unlike the SF4 days, people were more open to dab into other games.

I don't doubt that there will be people that after a while will be praising SFV as a better game than SF6, but overall, it seems that SF6 is doing a lot of things right that have most of the sf fanbase interested.

Perhaps, one of the things that could be a turning point is that SF6 seems like would be a very punishing game, where 1 or 2 mistakes could cost you greatly.

In certain ways, I would say that is an overcorrection that is going kind of overboard from the criticism towards comeback mechanics.

But there is still chance that by release is reworked in a less punishing way.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

IMO it's more interesting to change up how the characters play via changes to movesets than it is to hamfistedly shove in subsystems that force them to play differently with the same movesets, but that's just me. The additions to the characters that came with Hyper Fighting and ST are more fun and interesting than what SF4 did with Focus Attacks because it shows growth in the characters and their playstyles rather than just making the best characters the ones that can vortex or FADC into Ultra.

I get what you are saying, but imo, there are good examples of how sub systems can help diversify a game.

Specially when said subsystems also allow for a character to be more flexible depending from the player.

An example of this can be Battle Fantasia, which is a SF like game from ASW that btw, according to Ono was basically the reason why SF4 was given the go.

In that game, you have a parry mechanic and a the heat up system that works like the dark gifts from dark stalkers (or the VT on SFV), imo, the best exmple of how a parry mechanic should work on a 2d fg.

They allow for combo and strategy diversity from the chars, all while maintaining a simple framework that is common on games that take a lot from SF.

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

snip

I think that more than revisionism, it can be also some form of hindsight combined with also being far removed in time from any discourse that could lets say influence the judgement since for better or worse, those can also affect how someone sees a piece of media.

Add that people tastes change, so that can also influence in some way how one sees a game outside of just being nostalgia.

For example, with Bayo2 and Bayo3, leaving aside the people complaining about the ending, I feel that there are valid criticisms towards its gameplay and game structure that could make someone realize that Bayo2 wasn't as bad as they thought.

Another example, last year I rewatched all the Kung Fu Panda movies.

I love the 1s and specially the 2nd film, but I remember disliking the 3rd one.

But after watching the 3rd movie again back to back with the other 2, I found out that it was way better than I remembered, and thematically made a lot of sense when combined with the other 2.

I still think it has flaws in its execution, but the movie has a lot of good going for it.

There is also that with time, people's tastes change, so there can be a change in attitude and more appreciation towards a game or movie because of that.

Of course, I agree that there will be always simpletons that will change their tune just because, and we have a good chunk of examples of this.

Like the people who always hated SF3, but now say that SF3 is the GOAT (no is not) after SF4 came out.

Or where shitting on SF4, asking for a new game (all while refusing to play any other game) just to say now that SF4 was better and more skill based than SFV, but they also very likely keep playing SFV, and don't dare to touch SF4 again.

I didn't realize how ultra competitive ppl are with me, which is wild cuz I'm usually NOT the best at anything and I'm more about self improvement rather than proving who's best. Lol

I suck at cooking so when I cook a cool dish, It builds my confidence to try new things so occasionally post it on social media cuz im proud, mfers will try to tear me down subliminally and maybe even post their dish directly after 

Or I'll mess up at work, while others far more advanced than me are out there killing it. But let me show any minimal improvements, they will try to downplay it or get me in trouble to attempt to destroy my morale. Shit is comical ppl feel threatened by me. Im not naturally talented  or quick to learn like others at all like them, I'm just very persistent 😂

Edited by HD-Man
24 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Street Fighter IV is my favorite 😂

When SF4 came out, me and my brother used to have hundreds of matches per session, specially by the time that SSF4 came out.

It was the peak of how much we played the SF4 games.

Afterwards it went downhill fast.

Between not liking the changes after SSF4 and having BB, P4A, MK9, INJ1, MVC3, and others (without mentioning the old games) SF4 kind of got to the sidelines in our local scene. (I was by that time also getting more involved with running tournaments for fgs in my city.)

Tangent

MVC3 and MK9 became the main stage games iirc, with the other games having a healthy scene.

No joke, SF4AE kind of killed the SF scene here, not even the release of SFV revived it.

Is interesting how much damage AE did to the SF4 scene here, cuz SF was one of the main stay games here.

My country is one of the few latin american countries where capcom games were favored over the SNK games, at least up until SF4AE, and then SFV not being of the liking of the majority here.

And when MVCI and DBFZ came out, the people who played MVC2 and MVC3, just jumped to DBFZ.

Nowdays only the old heads play capcom games, but mostly the old ones, otherwise the newcomers are into namco fgs and asw fgs.

Lick my balls.

tongue running GIF

SF4 was the last one I had any interest in.  Street Fighter 5 looked like trash from day 1, with some surprisingly ugly graphics and character designs.  The only good thing was that some of the female characters looked hot.

*just a few more days 'til that Harry Potter game, and I'm not even a fan of that franchise... the game just looks cool to me.... of course I intend my character to be an evil little bastard.  I'm already wonder how diabolical I can be in that game... I'll always love games that let you be something other than a typical super-good guy hero.  Some of the games that let you be a truly despicable monster---- of course GTAs and Saint's Row... Elder Scrolls games, Fable 1 and 2 (I never played much of 3; it was disappointing) and Vampyr.  Heh, my 2nd play of Vampyr, one entire area of a city was lost because I drank that part of town dry.  Meanwhile over in Fable 2, I'll never forget that time I sold a fat bitch to a slave master.  So many good times were had....haha she was saying something like "You...you're a monster....a monster!!!"  Early in that game I also saved some people who were captured by bandits....only to start murdering them---one of the characters said "You saved us....just to kill us?!" 🤣

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I get what you are saying, but imo, there are good examples of how sub systems can help diversify a game.

Specially when said subsystems also allow for a character to be more flexible depending from the player.

Sure, but how often is that the case in an SF game? If you play 3s without partying or SF4 without using Focus Attack you are t really playing the game. Subsystems in SF games always feel obtrusive to me, and I say this as someone who loved 3s for a long time and who put probably a couple thousand hours into SF4.

Guilty Gear is a good example of a game having system mechanics that aren't obtrusive or get in the way. They work seamlessly with the character's moveset because they're just there as more of a help rather trying to take over and be the whole show like sf3 Parry and SF4 focus attacks.

Edit: I had the Master Fighter rom back in the day, game was HILARIOUS

Edited by DoctaMario

The most fun and time tested fighting games. Have some non sense going on. If people wanted a pure, modest, plain Jane fighter? Virtua Fighter wouldn't be sitting alone on the swing set like Naruto.

Nah we want that bad bish that got it and flaunts it. That got just enough crazy that it keeps things spicy buy it don't ruin the relationship. Like that Mahval

Edited by BB_Hoody
7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The fact that Reagan is the president responsible for giving the go to all the para military activities that caused hundreds of thousands, if not millions of deaths in latin america during the 80s cements him as one of the worst presidents not only from USA, but in history of all time.

That mother fucker was there calling the Contras on Nicaragua heroes, just because they were "anti commies", yet those fuckers were out there killing innocent civilians and raping all the women they came across (and yes, even minors)

But the majority of that bullshit was Vice President Bush Sr. using connections as former head of the CIA.  The amount of bullshit he pulled in his tenure is really incredible. 

https://larouchepub.com/other/1996/bush_drug_ops.html

9 minutes ago, J-ride said:

But the majority of that bullshit was Vice President Bush Sr. using connections as former head of the CIA.  The amount of bullshit he pulled in his tenure is really incredible. 

https://larouchepub.com/other/1996/bush_drug_ops.html

Bro, you have no idea how much shit was done by Reagan.

And while he was not the only one since this goes back to the 40's, his involvement with the Contras and the dead squads during the 80s here in central america is very well known fact.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/reagan-iran/

There is a reason why it was called the Reagan doctrine after all.

This is not either speculation, since there are records of him publicly comparing the Contras to the founding fathers, you know, people who brutalized, raped civilians.

In my country was something similar

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/reagan-orders-troops-into-honduras

The key difference was that there was a military regime here back in the 80s which was backed by USA, said regime had death squads that were routenately kidnapping and making people disappear, is very likely that most families in my country have at least one family member that was never seen again all thanks to the death squads.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-10-11-me-55584-story.html

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2019/jan/24/cia-honduras-reagan/

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/21/world/honduras-confronts-military-atrocities-of-the-80-s.html

I think that you are maybe confusing the proxy wars of the cold war of the 80s with the war on drugs.

While there is a good amount of overlap of the operations, there are also a lot of differences.

The cold war was not really cold, since there was actual wars and blood being wasted, but not by the Soviet Union and USA, but the countries they used as grounds to fight them.

Edited by Hecatom

Guys, what are some good "this car doesn't break often" car brands in general?

My new car is starting to be like my old car in terms of stealing money from me. I just got off of close to 1K to fix a bunch of exhaust shit, and now there's no heat in the car. This might just be a coolant thing, so I'll do that before anything else. Still, I feel like I have to start looking at least. I can only buy used though.

Edited by axeman61
11 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

My new car is starting to be like my old car in terms of stealing money from me. I just got off of close to 1K to fix a bunch of exhaust shit, and now there's no heat in the car. This might just be a coolant thing, so I'll do that before anything else. Still, I feel like I have to start looking at least. I can only buy used though.

Toyota  Camrys are generally quite reliable.

With regular maintenance, they can last 10 plus years. 

My car is a Toyota Matrix from 2003. 

I drive mostly in the city between 5-10 miles and on the interstate tother cities maybe every 4-6 weeks (Orlando or Miami) 

I can't speak about heating bc I live in Florida and I only need it a handful of times. Cooling is generally decent.

I drive mostly to get from point A to B and not for the thrill like Vhozite/Optimus/Darc so I'm sure 4 cylinder cars with like 160 HP are not "sexy".

There's a reasy most Indians in America drive Toyotas lol.

Yeah, I still think got robbed, but I wasn't shocked at all when that turned out to be the case. Lots of salt and snow here, and I haven't done anything with the exhaust in years.

I'm just pissed that I took the car into one of the "good places" I mess with and they didn't properly assess it. So, I had to go to the shakedown artists.

2 hours ago, axeman61 said:

+1 for Toyota. I had a Matrix I just sold to the neighbors that had almost 250k miles on it and the thing still ran great. If you keep the oil changed and take care of it, you can easily get 200k+ out of a Toyota, and they hold their value like nothing else if you decide you want to sell it.

A thumbs up is really a weapon against Gen Z

Marvel Snap Players Think An Objectively Nice Emote Is Toxic

Ms. Marvel’s thumbs-up is actually a brutal attack on your character

One Redditor said in a thread, “When people use the Ms. Marvel thumbs up emote after I lose...I want to dive through my monitor and punch my opponent’s face until it’s nothing but a pile of bone and brains.”

Oh, OK. But Ms. Marvel is the toxic one? Yeah, OK. That makes sense.

59 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

One Redditor said in a thread, “When people use the Ms. Marvel thumbs up emote after I lose...I want to dive through my monitor and punch my opponent’s face until it’s nothing but a pile of bone and brains.”

I mean...I can semi see where they're coming from because the first thing that comes to mind is this moment.

On the one hand though its still a very harmless gesture in the grand scheme of things.  It's pretty much in the same boat as someone saying GGs at the end of a match when they clearly know you're about to lose it.

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I been thinking about getting another car thats good on gas and doesnt need to be fixed every 5 days, Toyota it is. Thanks guys 😂

Just make sure to keep up with fluid changes and timing belt/chain replacement.  You'd be shocked how many people expect cars to run forever and don't put any money into preventative maintenance.  I've had 3 cars go well into the 300K mile range before I had to get rid of them.  

It's funny when you go looking for a review/info on youtube for a movie and end up finding that someone posted the whole damn thing... I just found the 1989 "Communion" starring Christopher Walken by checking youtube, so I've been watching that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communion_(book)#:~:text=Communion%3A A True Story is a book by,links to an alleged encounter with aliens.  

On another note entirely... unfortunate thing about being old friends with a couple from Memphis--- any time they'd try to play matchmaker, you already know it's going to be yet another raggedy ass typical Memphis hoodrat... just because that's at least 97% of what exists in that "city"....and of course I'm being generous by saying it's "just" 97% of what's there.  I should've befriended people who were more "bougie" in the college days....preferably more folks from other cultures as well, obviously.

4 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

This is peak m1st world problem if you ask me.

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

It's funny when you go looking for a review/info on youtube for a movie and end up finding that someone posted the whole damn thing... I just found the 1989 "Communion" starring Christopher Walken by checking youtube, so I've been watching that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communion_(book)#:~:text=Communion%3A A True Story is a book by,links to an alleged encounter with aliens.  

On another note entirely... unfortunate thing about being old friends with a couple from Memphis--- any time they'd try to play matchmaker, you already know it's going to be yet another raggedy ass typical Memphis hoodrat... just because that's at least 97% of what exists in that "city"....and of course I'm being generous by saying it's "just" 97% of what's there.  I should've befriended people who were more "bougie" in the college days....preferably more folks from other cultures as well, obviously.

that may be, walken's most walken performance. hes so weird in it that i was more weirded out by walken than by the aliens depicted.

another walken movie is brainstorm. but he aint so weird in that. good movie tho.

also, since u mention memphis.. i saw the tyre nichols vid.

disgusting tbh. that was like the rodney king vid but x10 in brutality.

fucked up man. surprised your city didnt go into full riot mode when that vid broke out.

Edited by VirginDefiler
8 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I honestly think a lot of people. Are deliberately testing the limits of how much bitchassness they can get away with. And just need to be told. "NO This isn't offensive or harmful. You'll be aight. Stop looking for new ways to be a victim and man or woman up."

Ok so I've noticed over the past couple of months. That sometimes there's a water bottle sitting in a bathroom stall when I use it. Thought it was weird.

But then I had a conversation with a Pakistani guy. Talked about his time in the U.S and got on the subject of using the bathroom. He said he couldn't believe us Americans wipe our asses with dry TP and don't use bidets.

So I asked him " well what else are you suppose to do if you don't have a bidet?" He told me he just brings a bottle of soapy water, and uses it to wet the TP before wiping. Then use dry TP to well dry

So that explains why I be seeing water bottles in the stalls. So thought I'd give it a try. And bruh. I feel like I've been living like a caveman all my life. Dude was right. Wiping with dry TP is no better than wiping with hey. Wet TP makes my ass feel squeaky clean. We call ourselves 1st world yet wipe with dry TP. Down right barbaric.

Edited by BB_Hoody