Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Because whenever a video game adaption happens, the people behind it don’t want it resemble the video game for some reason. They always try to make their own story with someone else’s characters.

This interview for Halo was posted just last week about how they look at the game this show is based on.

6 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Well yeah for some the idea is to use the property to tell YOUR story, not the story everyone else already knows. In some cases the property is irrelevant and a means to piggyback off of established popularity. In other words, it a lazier way to make a movie. And some want THEIR vision to be the popular beloved story fans will remember...(but that's usually not going to happen) 

I already know that's generally how Hollywood wants to work especially when it comes to certain director's and writers but what Oscar is saying gives me the impression that they're barely even considering the games and they're just going to try to do something completely dif instead of just using what they have as a guideline.  It really shouldn't be that difficult to make an adaptation of something like MGS especially the 1st one.   The way how they're describing what they're doing for Halo is fine to me.  They have the people who are responsible for the games on board and told them the characters and the lore essentially giving them a guideline to work within that they need.

Edited by Sonichuman

Aha, another new trailer for Swansong

A larger cast of playable characters would've been so cool....you only get 3 here...of course I'm not sure if they have plans to add some later via DLC.  It's also unfortunate that only 2 out of the 3 are from clans I like.... I'm not really a fan of the Malkavians (*the thing they're mostly known for is the curse of having some type of mental derangement), oddly enough... and thus don't have much interest in being one.  Still, this is at least a bit more appealing to me than those visual novels, which are of course just pictures, music and text.  

I'm watching a stream of Wonderlands... unfortunately it sounds like the characters make those "winded", out-of-shape sounds when running... which was some of THE most annoying shit when I played Borderlands 3.... so much so I vaguely remember finding a way to turn the voices down just so I didn't have to hear that nonsense.... really, who wants to hear their character sounding so out of shape that they get tired just from running more than a few seconds?  ...chumps sound like a middle-aged fatso that never exercised at any point previously in life.

Edited by MillionX
47 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Dammit, STOP nintendo!!

Why? Like I get the personal frustration but I really don't understand why Nintendo gets so much shit for protecting their intellectual properties.Thats their book. They never gave anyone permission to upload their book to the internet for the world to consume for free. 

Someone needs to justify this for me. It's the same thing as people getting pissed Nintendo takes down YouTube channels with entire OSTs belonging to them. How can you possibly get mad at someone for saying "Hey that doesn't belong to you, stop giving it away to people, it's not yours."

If I spent a good deal of time and money making something and you felt entitled to steal it and help spread around the stolen copy I'm gonna come for your ass, and you would do the same. 

Got the Mimic Tear last night.   I only have enough to get it to level +7 so I did that.  Nokron is just so damn awesome too.  I nearly missed the path to get the damn thing too lol.  I saw the little yellow flares from the grace and decided to go look between 2 rocks and what would you know, another damn path with another huge part of a level to check out.

I then faced that one bull/scorpion type of boss by the Volcano manor that I couldn't beat before and I ended up getting him on my second time after changing my weapon.

I then tried the Godskin Apostle down in the Caelid Tower and didn't have any luck still with that dude.  He just hits so damn hard.  I tried both with my +17 Katana and also with Sword of Night and Flame and nope, didn't get him.  

I did get my int to level 24 though so I no longer need that 2 headed helmet that netted me +6 int just to use that sword, which is good because that hindered stamina and HP.  

On 3/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, Sonichuman said:

I hate to be that guy, but they misspelled the title of that game. It should be ForEspoken.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:51 PM, purbeast said:

Best hoax of all time.  It was so good it became a legit character.

AEZOnTb.jpg

I had that issue of EGM and I remember being really hype about that before I found out it was sa hoax. Even then, MK seemed to have a lot of cool secrets so it seemed plausible because there was no Photoshop back then as far as I knew. I miss EGM.

16 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I bought this on switch but haven't cracked it open yet. Looks really good though, kind of like those Alien/Devil's Crush games on TG-16

10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Why? Like I get the personal frustration but I really don't understand why Nintendo gets so much shit for protecting their intellectual properties.Thats their book. They never gave anyone permission to upload their book to the internet for the world to consume for free. 

Someone needs to justify this for me.

Because it's ridiculous for them to demand people take down scans of a guide that's no longer for sale for a game that's almost 30 years old. I get them taking down roms or even YT channels with osts, but this is pretty dumb.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Because it's ridiculous for them to demand people take down scans of a guide that's no longer for sale for a game that's almost 30 years old.

Why? It's theirs. The book belongs to them, not the uploader. I can just use your music royalty free on any video project I want without your permission because it's old and you haven't made money on the song for a while, so I'm just entitled to whatever parts of it, or even the whole thing, that I want?

Really?

Edited by RSG3

If you've been thinking to yourself recently that maybe Actiblizz has put down the shovel...you'd be wrong

https://www.ign.com/articles/activision-blizzard-hit-with-a-new-lawsuit-alleging-rampant-sexism

M$ says they won't stop a union from happening in Actiblizz

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-wont-block-a-potential-activision-blizzard-union

Polyphony Digital apologized for Gran Turismo 7's rocky launch, they're going to give away 1 mil credits and put up a considerable patch

https://www.ign.com/articles/gran-turismo-7-apologize-shaky-launch-promise-patch-free-credits

....Is this patch going to make it not be an online only game?  If not then your "considerable" patch is probably pointless.

Extra

Edit:  HA!  They put Ben Swolo in the Lego game.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

I don't play Fortnite but removing building seems like a dumb move. That's kinda what made the game unique. Make it a separate mode atleast rather than remove it permanently. I mean, the feature IS in the name. 

I get they want to attract the casuals but you can do that in this instance while still pleasing your main fanbase as well 

Considering how huge Fortnite is/was with kids and casuals during so many years it shows that building has never been an issue

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Why? It's theirs. The book belongs to them, not the uploader. I can just use your music royalty free on any video project I want without your permission because it's old and you haven't made money on the song for a while, so I'm just entitled to whatever parts of it, or even the whole thing, that I want?

Really?

No you can't because I still have those songs up for sale in places. That's the difference.

I'm not saying the book belongs to the uploader, that Nintendo doesn't have a leg to stand on or that they don't have any legal recourse here. But I am saying it looks funny to be making more effort to keep others from making that stuff available when it's no longer for sale than to make that same stuff available themselves. Are they planning on selling guides to 30 year old games now? Are they going to start busting people for selling copies of guides they bought to others and not giving Nintendo a cut?

Edited by DoctaMario

VGM Fridays!!!  Let's see let's seeee...Kirby released today aaand it was also the 10 year anniversary of Kid Icarus Uprising.  So post will celebrating Kirby and Kid Icarus Uprising specifically.

Spoiler

original

Original

Original

original

original

original

original

Melee Original (one thing that always stood out to me about this track is exactly how fucking hard it sounds like the Pianist is hammering on those keys in the beginning .  I'm pretty sure it's mostly piano in the beginning but it might also be due to the drums making it sound like he's slamming on the keys)

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Considering how huge Fortnite is/was with kids and casuals during so many years it shows that building has never been an issue

None of these mechanics are ever the issue. Like everyone keeps calling Elden Ring accessible Dark Souls but the only thing making accessible is the open world giving you more options on where to go to get gear. Otherwise it's just fucking Dark Souls. No easy mode or anything. The mechanics where never the problem it was people thinking they should be able to bulldoze bosses without learning movesets. Elden Ring let's you get OP like that if you want to so it's "accessible "

Saw a guy last night basically arguing he should get to have unlimited upgrade Stones cuz "PVP experimenting." Most of these whiners don't actually want to play the game. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

No you can't because I still have those songs up for sale in places. That's the difference.

I'm not saying the book belongs to the uploader, that Nintendo doesn't have a leg to stand on or that they don't have any legal recourse here. But I am saying it looks funny to be making more effort to keep others from making that stuff available when it's no longer for sale than to make that same stuff available themselves. Are they planning on selling guides to 30 year old games now? Are they going to start busting people for selling copies of guides they bought to others and not giving Nintendo a cut?

Was the guy trying to sell those scans from the book.  I only caught a glimpse as a scrolled by but I thought it said something about how he's happy to share that shit now.  So was he giving the shit away or selling it? 

15 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Was the guy trying to sell those scans from the book.  I only caught a glimpse as a scrolled by but I thought it said something about how he's happy to share that shit now.  So was he giving the shit away or selling it? 

I guess the argument they'd be making is that he's "giving it away" by making the scans available.

3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I very speficially said if they where songs you didn't have up or make money on. 

At the risk of being autistic about it, even if I haven't personally made those songs available, I still wrote them and I'd still make money on them being sold or performed as long as I have them registered.

But if I have no plans to make those songs available and someone puts them out there, I have legal recourse but at that point, it probably costs more to go after them legally than it does to just look the other way. I realize this is a different scenario but again, if Nintendo has no plans to sell these guides again and isn't busting people for selling them second hand, I don't see what the point is.

25 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Is a mater of legal precedent.

They have to protect their intellectual property, it doesn't mater if they are not selling it anymore or if they plan to sell it in the future.

If they allow this kind of thing to slide, then they put their trademark at risk since by allowing it and then trying to enforce on another instance they aregiving recourse to anyone to dismantle any effort to protect their ips.

They are in the right here, and people should stop trying to act like they aren't or that is morally wrong to do it, even if is their right.

17 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I guess the argument they'd be making is that he's "giving it away" by making the scans available.

At the risk of being autistic about it, even if I haven't personally made those songs available, I still wrote them and I'd still make money on them being sold or performed as long as I have them registered.

But if I have no plans to make those songs available and someone puts them out there, I have legal recourse but at that point, it probably costs more to go after them legally than it does to just look the other way. I realize this is a different scenario but again, if Nintendo has no plans to sell these guides again and isn't busting people for selling them second hand, I don't see what the point is.

Because with how IP law works if you don't protect your IP from theft you lose the right to protect. If you let it slide here and not there when you do try to enforce it they will point to the time you didn't and you're gonna be fucked outta luck. 

Beyond that, and divorce it from the music, If you make a thing and somebody takes your thing without asking whether you make money on it or not, how is that OK? It's not mine. It's yours. You made it. Not me. You took the time, effort, and probably investment  to create this thing and I just said "Hah mine now, and everyone else's too!!!" 

How is that even morally defensible. Like not even law, just decent human behavior, it's literally theft. 

Edited by RSG3

So be a greedy fuckwad just in case you want to start selling some shit 30, 40 or 50 years after you stopped selling it the first time?  Seems like a scummy greedy move to me but its nintendo...its somehow wholesome I just dont see it. 

Any of you guys play Ghostwire?  Any thoughts on it?  Starhammer says its weird and its ok but he hadnt gotten too far yet. 

So 15 hours into ER and I find out that these guys I cant hurt can actually be hurt if I just use my weapon 2h style.  Totally forgot I could do that.  Oh, those mud fuckers are going down now.  Them and their giant rats.

34 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So be a greedy fuckwad just in case you want to start selling some shit 30, 40 or 50 years after you stopped selling it the first time?

Yes, if you want to, because it's yours. It belongs to you, You can do whatever the fuck you want with shit that belongs to you. No one gets to dictate how you treat the things that belong to you. 

36 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Seems like a scummy greedy move to me but its nintendo...its somehow wholesome I just dont see it. 

Who even made this argument? Who said anything about wholesomness? This is about owners rights. Wholesomness has nothing to do with it. 

37 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Any of you guys play Ghostwire? 

I haven't yet as I am knee deep in Elden Ring and still have to finish Forbidden West to boot. The reviewers I follow have been pretty glowing about it tho. It certainly looks cool. 

38 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So 15 hours into ER and I find out that these guys I cant hurt can actually be hurt if I just use my weapon 2h style.  Totally forgot I could do that.  Oh, those mud fuckers are going down now.  Them and their giant rats.

Yea everything with a "hard" skin is weak to blunt so any slicing or cutting weapon will need to be two handed. 

53 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So be a greedy fuckwad just in case you want to start selling some shit 30, 40 or 50 years after you stopped selling it the first time?  Seems like a scummy greedy move to me but its nintendo...its somehow wholesome I just dont see it. 

Is not about being greedy, is about protecting what is theirs, plain and simple.

If they allow this to slide, you are allowing any future instance to be allowed as well according to the law, since they set a precedent that it was ok.

You forfeit your right to defend your Ip at a later point.

This is not just for that specific book, but for everything related to your ip in the future.

Keeping it with the example of music, if you allow your old songs to be used freely just because you are not making money from them anymore, you are also forfeiting your right to defend your newer songs if that happens, since you set the precedent.

Edit 

I still find amusing that people like to frame companies defending their intellectual property as something negative.

Edited by Hecatom
59 minutes ago, Sonero said:

We're well past the point where you should not care about what any corporation has to say about IP law.

Most of it is hilariously abusive.

Yeah it is a bit. But at same time, I would like to have the ability to dig through my closet and sell shit I made decades ago if I needed and not worry about it's value dropping cause of folk selling it or sharing it online like they own it.

I do wonder whatever happened to public domain?