Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

14 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So I found my first boss in Elden Ring.  That motherfucker kicks my ass though.  I gotta get buff.  Found a good spot to get that experience stuff.

Stupid giant creatures, killin' each other for me.  Do this a couple more times, found it easier and faster to kite 3 of those fuckers instead of 2.  I think I'll get jacked if I try 4.  I dunno where else to go to get good experience.  That boss is finna get it.

LOL bruh that ain't no boss.  That ain't even a mini-boss.  

sheeeittt, the graphics in Horizon are incredible....

and yep, though Aloy isn't exactly a 10... I would still pounce that.

This is so cool though... now I have a definite way of enjoying VtM: Blood Hunt when it's out later this month; this is the next thing I'm most looking forward to on ps5...the only way to play that game will be on this or PC.  Oh yeah I'm probably going for that "Founders' Pack" as well; I'm all in on that one.

Also, I can finally experience Bloodborne, Infamous Second Son, and the Miles Morales game as well.

edit---ohhhh but ya know who IS a smokeshow though... that girl from Forespoken

^Delicious.

Edited by MillionX

I've been leveling up my Faith character "Mikael" lately...still just in the starting outfit and gear but he's level 24 now... I made it to that spot in southern Caelid where a lot of soldiers are fighting the large dog/dino creatures... this is one of those early spots for a good, reliable amount of runes... since the enemies are distracted by fighting each other, it's an easy source.... I keep my distance and occasionally throw my fireball (this is the only good attack incantation I have for now) for a cheap shot...that's just to speed things up a bit instead of waiting on them to kill each other.  Even if the player doesn't do anything here, you still get the runes when either the soldiers or the dog creatures get killed.

I played some of that Sifu.  Its pretty fun.  I haven't gotten too far cause I've been distracted with other games.  I don think its a very long game.

MWka9gD.png

spacer.png

Tried this game earlier.  Its a card battling game.  I've tried a number of these (card games) and don't usually like them but this is one of the several I have fun with.

Gonna check this one out in a bit.

MeUs5Pq.png

Some weird furry rpg but it looks interesting.  The stuff in turn based combat has changed a lot, they've added a lot of stuff to it in a lot of different games and I'm starting to like some of them.

Well... "Ulcerrated Tree Spirit" in Elden Ring.... in that tiny room at the bottom of that hellish area with the one-hit kill chariot thing... I'm not sure how this one is possible unless you're just way overleveled, of course... like level 200+ or something.  So far I haven't ever had time to even do anything, at least with my Faith character.  Right when you enter the room, he lunges over to hit you...but the room is so small, it's like trying to fight a fat crocodile inside a very small broom closet.  I'm already thinking about just giving up on this until this character is something like 100+.  ....actually, I'm not even sure I'd be able to beat this one with my level 140 mage....*maybe* with Stars of Ruin?  Faith-build character right now has NO chance though....none.  It's difficult just making it to the boss room in the first place since you're running from several ghost enemies and the big 1-shot kill chariot contraption.  It's funny that THIS shit is right here in the starting area of the game.

I don't care what anyone says, fall damage in Elden Ring is random, hut death from fall damage is even more random. I've survived Hella long falls no damage then drop half the distance and die. They need to work on that. 

Also if you're gonna put the stakes of Marika in the game then it should basically be devoid of boss run backs. The Placidisax run back is annoying if only because you have to make like 9 drops. It's slow for that reason specifically. 

heh, there's a few parts in the Divine tower of Caelid....the jump "puzzle" part.... where it looks like the character should die from the fall, but the strange thing is you survive just because that's the only way you're supposed to go, I guess.  It was surprising I made it all the way to the Grace part at the bottom on this Faith character...I was thinking the knight by the elevator would be a huge problem, since you can't run from him...but it's possible to get past him and into the elevator, actually.  Nothing I have does enough damage to kill him fast enough so I had to run past him for now.....well, that's set up now with the Grace areas.  That's not really a fun area... it takes a long time to do all the climbing on the outside of the tower, then you run past 2 enemies to start the hellish jump puzzle descending the interior.

new plan with my Faith character Mikael here----I started putting points to Arcane so I will eventually be focused with Faith + Arcane, and doing blood loss damage along with my faith magic.  I already got the "Reduvia" dagger a little while ago.... soon enough, Mikael will ascend to a new level of terrifying power.  I also have the Dragon Communion Seal to boost Dragon incantations!  I want to use that Dragon Rot breath for sure.  The red glow with the dragon seal looks really cool, btw... definitely matches what I envision for this character.

edit---holy shitttt this Reduvia blade is incredible.... I haven't even started leveling it up yet! This damage...

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Edited by MillionX

Got to Melania earlier and she's the first boss that I haven't steam rolled in a while.  Took me 3-4 tries to finally whoop her ass.  480k runes reward lol.

I have my katana maxed at +25 and my blasphemous blade maxed at +10.  I'm level 160 at this point and find leveling up easier now than it was earlier on because I don't have to farm and enemies just drop so much.  I do use the one mixed flask that makes it so when you die you don't lose runes quite often, if I'm entering a risky area, so that helps.

It's crazy to me how I've gone back to some places and I'm finding stuff I didn't before including graces.  I realized I hadn't done the mini erdtree in the Volcano Manor area and found some tunnels/caves I missed too as well as 1 or 2 graces.  

ok, so I killed the gigantic grey sleeping dragon....that's 70,000+ runes right there!  This took me from 24 or so to 41!  I got the FIVE dragon hearts from that as well, so now I have the draconic powers!  I went for the Rot breath right away and the big claw swipe just because it looks cool.... I'm putting much more points to Arcane now... got it up to 22 points now, with 21 on Faith... I'll need to boost Mind as well, it's only 18 at the moment.  This character is going to be a MONSTER.

haha yeah I just went back to Margit and demolished him with the Rot and the bleeding damage.

oh yeah... Dragon Communion Seal is at level 4 now; B-level scaling with Arcane... my Reduvia dagger is +3.   This damage is delicious. haha Godrick got stomped out with no problem.  Hopefully they don't tone this build down... 

Edited by MillionX

Ok yeah... this Scarlet Rot effect is ridiculous... now I really am hoping they don't tone this crazy shit down for being so strong... that one dragon out in the lake on the western side of the map.... just hitting him once with the dragon scarlet rot breath... the initial attacks took off a big chunk of life... then it gradually chipped away that health bar to the point of roughly 60% damage... just off that one "dose".  Imagine an endgame level build with everything optimized on this.  I'm only just now hitting level 47 as of early this morning....with 24 or so points in Arcane, and my Dragon Communion seal is still +4.  

However... during that same fight... I noticed the scarlet rot effect did NOT work on the dragon a 2nd time.  I am not sure if that's just because he's a dragon (would make sense lore-wise, perhaps) or because it's a mini-boss....or if that's just the way it is that things can get Scarlet Rot a 2nd time. (with regular enemies most probably won't see if that's the case since it's strong enough to completely destroy most non-boss things quickly in one dose)  It's soooo good on crowds of enemies, of course since it's a dragon breath attack... the range is wide and it reaches surprisingly far.  

Oh yeah, folks----Arcane/Faith focus with Scarlet Rot damage is the real deal.

I recently fought Ranni with this character just before work but lost the first attempt... since I foolishly went for the dragon breath attack on her 2nd phase... that animation takes too long... while I was caught up with that she did her Stars of Ruin looking attack, and of course every bit of that damage hit since I was stuck in place trying to hit her with dragon breath.  A better way is probably to just focus on using my blood dagger.  First phase the dagger quickly destroyed her health bar with the bleed damage effect going on.

Fired Nioh 2 back up for a mission today... absolutely confirms my thought on the feel of the combat vs Elden Ring. So much more fluid to play. Only real gripe I have about Nioh is the endless oceans of loot/inventory management. I get that being the game's big hook that keeps you playing long term, but goddamn, they could cut the drops by 75% and it would still be a lot to sift through. @MillionX, you've been on an ER kick and I know you like Diablo (which has similar loot)- have you played either Nioh?

41 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Fired Nioh 2 back up for a mission today... absolutely confirms my thought on the feel of the combat vs Elden Ring. So much more fluid to play. Only real gripe I have about Nioh is the endless oceans of loot/inventory management. I get that being the game's big hook that keeps you playing long term, but goddamn, they could cut the drops by 75% and it would still be a lot to sift through. @MillionX, you've been on an ER kick and I know you like Diablo (which has similar loot)- have you played either Nioh?

Now that I finally have ps5 I can get in on Nioh as well... that's definitely on the list along with Bloodborne for PS4/PS5 stuff I've missed until now.

Elden Ring--- it still took a few tries... but finally I defeated Rennala with my Arcane/Faith build.... this last time I summoned the wolves towards the end of phase 1, mainly so they could already be out on the field as phase 2 starts up... then, I did a mix of the 2 strats I was using before... as many dagger slashes as I could get away with, then one good time when she was distracted by the wolves, I managed to get 1 good dragon breath attack on her.  That was huge since she was already damaged... then the rot effect took over gradually erased the rest of her health as I kept my distance from all the stuff she kept summoning.

well...this will be another long battle with the Arcane character then... I see that Godskin Apostle is either outright immune to Scarlet Rot or just incredibly resistant to it.  I've hit him with the dragon breath attack several times at this point...not once has it taken effect...and the damage is always pitiful....unlike everything else I've hit with that so far. (*except Crucible Knight... he simply blocks it and takes almost no damage)  ...then again, I was level 90-something at least when I finally beat him with sorcery on the first character... this character is level 52 at the moment.... I've given up the Rot damage tactic for now... just focusing on the bleed damage from the dagger special attack.... I should go on and get the Mimic for this character as well... the wolves aint shit to this guy... he can just kill them in seconds.

Oh... yeah I forgot you can only get Mimic after a certain point in story though, so there goes that plan.  I'll see about one of the other powerful summons.  The wolves seem to only shine in the early game...later on, they just don't seem worthwhile anymore, even with upgrades.

Edited by MillionX

heh, and Godskin Apostle (at Caelid area Divine Tower basement) has been defeated once again, with my Arcane character!  

The dagger special kept doing sooo much damage to him whenever the bleed effect happened.  Dragon breath is really just safe at the beginning when summons are still alive...and even then it's still a risk since he can toss a quick fireball at you while fighting summons.  Arcane character beat him at level 69; I had 26 vigor at the time, 23 on Mind, 36 Arcane, 25 Faith.

Ok, so I saw a video on the Trio of Crystalian bosses in Caelid... and the pay-out is just 1 sorcery (that doesn't appear to be a top-rank one) and a measly 7500 runes?  hahaha NAH bruh... get outta here with that.  I absolutely won't be back to waste any further time on that nonsense.  7500 runes for all that hassle, bitch please.  (*like apparently all Crystalian enemies... they are nearly invincible until you break their poise....and here, in a very small area, you're fighting three of them at the same time...and oh yes, they are ALWAYS attacking.)

smh GIF

Arcane character "Mikael" now wears the Godskin robe, of course... the trophy for defeating the Apostle at the bottom of the Caelid tower.  Also, I got a cool raggedy hat and face covering that reminds me of the character "Darkman".... oh yeah, in rpgs or any game, really... your style situation is always important.  A color edit feature would've been nice for the clothing and armors.

*meanwhile in PS5 land---- I'm thinking Nioh 2 might be my first game there... it's going to be either that or Bloodborne.  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

So the game definitely looks "better" easily in terms of graphical fidelity and clarity but am I the only one that thinks something got lost artistic wise in this conversion?  Feels like a large chunk of the identity of this game is missing to me.

So are you saying you want the graphic artists of the remake to suffer like G did? 👀 I'll see myself out now.

Man...I'm always at such a cross roads with the Invasion/PVP system for the Souls games, especially during the launch window. I love these systems. I think they give the game a level of wonderful unpredictability, can make each experience unique...but as is to be expected any game with a peer vs peer system is going to inevitably turn competitive and that always puts a huge burden on the game to be a certain way for those people even if that part of the game is a minor part of the experience. 

Basically I love the PVP systems but I really hate the PVP community. They are almost Smash Community levels of obnoxious for me. They take a minor part of the overall experience and and try to make it the experience and then bitch and whine that the rest of the game should fold to that experience. 

I'm gonna be really pissed off if "Magic" gets nerfed into being boring again like it was in Dark Souls 3 to appease an obnoxious crowed that's never fucking happy in the first place. 

I dunno, just saw someone crying that Rivers of Blood and Bleed should be removed from the game and it got under my skin. Had to rant. Like Froms been releasing these games with these systems for 15 years now and it's always broken, it's always Goofy, builds are always bonkers, why are people so consistently surprised by this? It should be the expectation. I don't get it. 

Edited by RSG3