Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

^oh yeah that reminds me----that's some straight BS if they start nerfing things like Bleed damage just to appease the PvP side of the fanbase.... I really don't care about PvP in this sort of game (or any rpg, tbh), and that sucks when nerfs aren't kept specifically to that part of the game... I'd rather they at least keep things the way they are for the regular pve side of the game.  

*heh, actually it just occurred to me... that major rune-farming tactic that seems to be THE best is unfortunately dependent on the PvP part of the game, so it actually won't be a method that will always be available, unfortunately... this is super popular but of course the online crowd for all games eventually moves on at some point.  I guess that farming method might become impossible at that point...?  I'm not sure what happens there, as it's part of a quest from that npc with the white mask ("Varre") that happens to require you invading the worlds of other players 3 times. (*before this, the only early game "good spots" I noticed was to the south of the starting area, where you see several soldiers fighting the monkey-man looking soldiers...and the southern area of Caelid where several soldiers are fighting the large dog creatures; these are nowhere near as good as the Varre Quest method, but at least they don't require the usage of the online pvp aspect of the game.)

On another note ---NEX MACHINA.  I'm looking forward to this... I've wanted to play this game for YEARS... and now I can since I have ps5 (*yep, my PC was actually took weak to play this game, apparently).  I looked up a review as a refresher for how it looks and sounds... observe how awesome and gorgeous this shit looks:

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Man...I'm always at such a cross roads with the Invasion/PVP system for the Souls games, especially during the launch window. I love these systems. I think they give the game a level of wonderful unpredictability, can make each experience unique...but as is to be expected any game with a peer vs peer system is going to inevitably turn competitive and that always puts a huge burden on the game to be a certain way for those people even if that part of the game is a minor part of the experience. 

Basically I love the PVP systems but I really hate the PVP community. They are almost Smash Community levels of obnoxious for me. They take a minor part of the overall experience and and try to make it the experience and then bitch and whine that the rest of the game should fold to that experience. 

I'm gonna be really pissed off if "Magic" gets nerfed into being boring again like it was in Dark Souls 3 to appease an obnoxious crowed that's never fucking happy in the first place. 

I dunno, just saw someone crying that Rivers of Blood and Bleed should be removed from the game and it got under my skin. Had to rant. Like Froms been releasing these games with these systems for 15 years now and it's always broken, it's always Goofy, builds are always bonkers, why are people so consistently surprised by this? It should be the expectation. I don't get it. 

Easy solution would be to be able to toggle PvP on/off. But then the douchebags you're talking about would have aneurysms over not being able to ruin the day of people uninterested in PvP.

27 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Easy solution would be to be able to toggle PvP on/off. But then the douchebags you're talking about would have aneurysms over not being able to ruin the day of people uninterested in PvP.

I don't really see how this solves the problem. It just splits the the community in half and makes participating in either harder and neuters the actual intended experience anyway. And you can log out anyway. It's like adding an easy mode it doest need. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean. 

I think From should give a bit more attention to PVP balance, perhaps Bleed shouldn't hit as hard as it does to player characters when compared to enemies. Its a conversation to have but they just wanna throw the whole thing out. From should maybe prioritize Combat Arena as launch content instead of later down the line content for people who want to duel and not get ganked. I have my own issues with not being randomly invaded because I rarely co-op in my world. I really miss it. 

Haven't even gotten into how these people want you to follow their house rules when doing Invasion content. "You gotta bow! No flasking! So dishonorable!" Like they forgot it's a role playing game and you're a fuckin Invader lol. 

It's so much more then just the balancing complaints, for me,, that's just the point that got my undies in a twist lol. 

It's also not THAT big a deal. 

Edited by RSG3

I started a new character just to help in co-op in stormveil and yeah its mad annoying when people who invade only use the actual "broken" shit. Like the carian retaliation thing. Its damage is from what I understand not intended. Doesn't help that the projectiles are invisible in multiplayer. Then you have the madness buildup even if you dodge the attacks. Just annoying when I'm trying to help out new players and you have "twinks" invading one of the lowest level places using the broken shit 😕 At least they patched out the death aura bug.

edit: the madness eye laser builds are also pretty dumb. You can set it up so if you hit them once it procs the madness. You can charge up another one while they are still in the "fuck im going mad" animation and just lock them into it. 

Edited by Genghis_Dong

Yea I'm deffinitly not trying to say there isn't a conversation to be had about it because there is, it's just the intensity of their reaction is gross and off putting. It's the same level of gross to me as everyone commenting on people's videos telling they didn't actually win or beat the game cuz they used Comet Azure or a Bleed Build now that Arcane works properly. I can break every Souls game in half easily if I want to, it's not hard, just gotta pay attention to what you're building. The difficulty isn't the point. The solving of the problem is. That can be hard but it can be easy to. 

Edited by RSG3

Just to clarify I'm not good at the pvp and don't mind getting my ass beat (happens all the time). But you really gonna use the most broken shit and invade the lowest level areas? Man it sucks. Makes me want to go get all the good talismans/open up slots without leveling up too much just to try to fight some of this shit. If it wasn't half the invasions I wouldn't care as much. Maybe I just had bad luck. When invasions work its really fun, but why you gotta bring the glitches into it 😞 like picking akuma in sf2. 

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I don't really see how this solves the problem. It just splits the the community in half and makes participating in either harder and beuters the actual intended experience anyway. And you can log put anyway. It's like adding an easy mode it doest need. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean. 

I think From should give a bit more attention to PVP balance, perhaps Bleed shouldn't hit as hard as it does to player characters when compared to enemies. Its a conversation to have but they just wanna throw the whole thing out. From should maybe prioritize Combat Arena as launch content instead of later down the line content for people who want to duel and not get ganked. I have my own issues with not being randomly invaded because I rarely co-op in my world. I really miss it. 

Haven't even gotten into how these people want you to follow their house rules when doing Invasion content. "You gotta bow! No flasking! So dishonorable!" Like they forgot it's a role playing game and you're a fuckin Invader lol. 

It's so much more then just the balancing complaints, for me,, that's just the point that got my undies in a twist lol. 

It's also not THAT big a deal. 

PvP is shitty in DS for a multitude of reasons. The mechanic itself is pure trolling, you're fucked if you don't have the right build or gear loadout for PvP, the netcode sucks, invaders being immune to enemies (most of whom can kill you very quickly) is bullshit, the game's lock on is already bad when dealing with multiple enemies, etc. Segmenting the playerbase between those who want PvP and those who don't would only hamper motherfuckers who love interrupting people trying to enjoy the game that aren't interested in PvP. Playing against people interested and prepared for PvP should be more fun for anyone who wants to PvP that isn't an asshole anyways. I can easily imagine getting a couple friends into DS/ER if I could co-op with them without being invaded regularly. 

haha, I was watching someone stream Elden Ring on twitch earlier today... he was doing just PVP... and he ran into a player that made "Muhammed Ali" as a character....no shirt, just pants and gloves/fist weapons equipped, and fast "floatin' like a butterfly, sting like a bee" action...... the Ali player actually seemed quite good and beat him in one of the 2 times I saw them fight.

So... on the ps5 front...I decided on Nioh 2 being my first game (aside from Horizon which came with the bundle)... ohhh yes I'm loving it already.  I didn't know you could also slightly customize the demonic form.  The only small nitpick so far that is a bit off-putting... the user-interface... it's just visually so "busy".  The rest of actual game looks great though, of course.  

If only I had more time... so now I'm constantly in that dilemma of what to play, since the addiction to Elden Ring is insane (I have 240-something hours at this point; 3 characters...tempted to make a 4th tonight).... the amount of sleep I've had since Elden Ring's launch has been pitiful... and now I have Nioh 2 and Horizon competing for my time as well.  

10 minutes ago, MillionX said:

haha, I was watching someone stream Elden Ring on twitch earlier today... he was doing just PVP... and he ran into a player that made "Muhammed Ali" as a character....no shirt, just pants and gloves/fist weapons equipped, and fast "floatin' like a butterfly, sting like a bee" action...... the Ali player actually seemed quite good and beat him in one of the 2 times I saw them fight.

So... on the ps5 front...I decided on Nioh 2 being my first game (aside from Horizon which came with the bundle)... ohhh yes I'm loving it already.  I didn't know you could also slightly customize the demonic form.  The only small nitpick so far that is a bit off-putting... the user-interface... it's just visually so "busy".  The rest of actual game looks great though, of course.  

If only I had more time... so now I'm constantly in that dilemma of what to play, since the addiction to Elden Ring is insane (I have 240-something hours at this point; 3 characters...tempted to make a 4th tonight).... the amount of sleep I've had since Elden Ring's launch has been pitiful... and now I have Nioh 2 and Horizon competing for my time as well.  

Glad you got Nioh, I'm betting you'll get a couple hundred hours out of it as well. The amount of content in the game is massive even on the first playthrough, and there's 4 NG+ cycles and the underworld to keep you playing. Obscene levels of customization as you get into higher levels, and there are just a ton of quality of life improvements you'll appreciate after playing ER. And of course there's the feel of the combat itself, which is stellar.

A couple tips to get you started:

-Take headshots with your bow or rifle any chance you get, especially to the back of the head. Use the rifle if the enemy has a helmet. Human enemies, even bosses will drop and allow you a free ground attack.

-Get used to using the ki pulse. Focus your skill tree on ki pulse boosts as early as you can

-Hitting burst counters makes a world of difference. Focus on upgrades that will give you health and ki back for successful counters. I find the brute class guardian spirits the easiest to hit burst counters with. 

-Everything you equip has its own set of stat bonuses, including the spirit cores you get. Most of these effects stack. At a certain point, you'll be able to "temper" weapons and armor to change bonuses. Capitalize on it! 

Elden Ring---a miracle.... I actually beat that ridiculous combo of the Misbegotten Warrior & Crucible Knight!!!  I can't believe this shit...so my Arcane/Faith character did what the mage could not...

I used Crystalian Ashes +4...  the amazing shit about this summon is that since it's one of those Crystalians... the defense of this thing is INSANE.  At the end of the fight... this bastard took quite a few hits from them... and that only knocked off about 20% of its health.  All the other summons I have used, aside from the possible exception of Mimic....all of them would've died a long time ago, especially when Crucible Knight shows up.  Since it stayed alive for the entire battle, the Crucible Knight kept getting distracted....as I opened up with as many cheapshot hits as I could asap... I stuck with using Dragon Rot Breath... whenever he was distracted, and thus....NOT shielding himself from the Rot... it fucked him up like most other enemies....it took more doses of course since Knight's defense is still crazy compared to most enemies...but eventually I got him with it.  This was also a lucky break since the last dose of the Rot Breath attack emptied my mana and that was it....no more blue flasks were left.  It took his health down to almost nothing...then the rotting effect finished that last bit off.  Oh yeah I definitely made sure to make a clip of that to post on Live a bit later.

haha I just went back to Carian Study Hall for Preceptor Miriam... killed that bitch with great pleasure once again.  I ran up and casted dragon rot breath as she and the 2 ghosts were fading in....and that's actually all it took.  Right away it knocked a big chunk off her health, then she teleported up... then teleported again to the upper floor.   She was already down to almost nothing by the time I ran over to the elevator to get up there.  So...yeah... get yourself that Rotten Breath attack and invest in Faith/Arcane, folks.  Sheeeitttt, she couldn't teleport away from the ROT.  Oh yeah, Miriam...that is the sound of inevitability.  

Edited by MillionX

Elden Ring... the adventures continue!

haha, mannnn I got out of there in time... I was exploring an area I'm not familiar with in that northern city... one of the messages on the ground said "Strong foe ahead."... but I saw some items out there.  My greed was too much; I jumped into the area but realized the drop was far enough that I couldn't get back up.  I ran over to pick up 2 of the items and heard some loud stomping out of nowhere.... I pulled up that map and fast-traveled SO fast right out of there. 🤣 It worked; I guess I did it fast enough to dodge that situation where fast-travel is disabled because enemies have noticed you. Sheeeitttt, I had a lot of runes on me at the time.

YouTube Streamer With 6.9M Followers Banned After Valorant Tirade Clip Surfaces

In maybe the swiftest escalation of 2022, gaming YouTuber and experimental rapper IShowSpeed was banned from Valorant (and other Riot Games titles) and potentially YouTube for demeaning a female player in Riot’s tactical hero shooter. IShowSpeed has since apologized for his behavior, saying he was “not having a good day” in the clip that went viral and appears to have sparked the ban. While moderation was speedy, the entire debacle has sparked discussion around trash talk in games, and who gets a second chance when they’re young and reckless.

IShowSpeed is best known as a variety streamer that primarily plays Fortnite and NBA 2K games, though he streams other things like Five Nights At Freddy’s and Super Meat Boy, too. He’s been on YouTube since at least 2016, uploading gameplay videos here and there, but rose to prominence in 2021 after memes of his explosive behavior—often filled with physical or verbal violence toward the game, his teammates, the camera, or all of the above—proliferated online. This is what IShowSpeed’s become known for: an eccentric personality with a tendency to blow up in stereotypical gamer rage. And, it’s worth noting, IShowSpeed is one of the biggest and fastest-rising streamers on the platform.

Unfortunately, it’s that gamer rage that got IShowSpeed in trouble this week. Esports commentator Jake Lucky spotted an old clip of IShowSpeed screaming at a female Valorant player. In the video, IShowSpeed told the player to “get off the fucking game and do your husband’s dishes” at the top of his lungs. It’s a tense exchange, occurring moments after an enemy player killed him.

I get it. Discrimination of any kind boils the blood. That rising tension in the body, the burning anger festering in the gut, can result in some damning actions or speech. I’ve thrown controllers before, told teammates they suck when they ignore the objective, but it’s always out of competitive frustrations, never outright animosity. IShowSpeed may or may not be a minor—there are two 2021 songs in which he claims to be 16, but there’s a March 2021 YouTube stream where he says he is 19 years old—but even if he’s young, this level of verbal assault is unacceptable and doesn’t even come close to what could be defended as ‘harmless’ trash talking.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I reached the Haruka campaign in Yakuza 5. This idol thing is suspect to me. I like Haruka character and it's nice to her get a lead role but why idol? There was nothing in the past games that made this something she was remotely interested in doing. The closest I recall is when she got scouted by a TV producer toward the end of Yakuza 2 and she turn it down. Never shown to have a love for music, dance and singing. Where the fuck does this come from?

Free Rogue Legacy and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PC Games

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy -click the get button to get a Free Rogue Legacy PC Game Download from Epic Games.
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter -click the get button to get a Free The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PC Game Download from Epic Games.

Edited by AriesWarlock

So, there's one "cheese" way to beat the double-gargoyle fight....SUPPOSEDLY you can trick them into jumping off the cliff.... but so far it just isn't working for me.  If there's no cheese method anymore for this (likely due to a patch "fixing" it, I suspect) then this is another one of the toughest battles.  Just dealing with 1 gargoyle boss is somewhat manageable... but 2 at the same time is crazy.  It's an extremely short amount of time before Gargoyle #2 shows up.  (Unlike Misbegotten Warrior & Crucible Knight; in that fight you have a decent amount of time to have Warrior dead or close to it by the time Knight shows up) If they don't suicide it just seems like a hopeless fight, imo.  

Anyway, I was here in Nokron of course for Mimic Tear on my Faith/Arcane character.  I'm still using the Crystalian spirit though... the tankiness of that one is too good to pass up.

I honestly tend to to do the twin gargoyle later when I'm beefier and dps down the first Gargoyle by the time the second shows up. I haven't had too much reason to get back there that early. There is a second way to get to Deep Root Depths under Leyndel, but it's arguably much harder and deffinitly more time consuming then the first route. 

Jeopardy has an Among Us reference in a question recently

Jeff Fowler says he wants to make a Smash Bros Movie

Good luck with that.  I mean...you could do it but I don't envy anyone actually trying to tackle that.   There'd be way too many moving parts with different movies owned by different studios unless Nintendo actually established a "Nintendo Studios" where they had all of their movie IP's under one banner.  That'd be the only way it'd even get a chance of becoming a thing.

Boss Rush mode for Dread is out

Vids

Spoiler

The Quarry - Official Prologue Gameplay ^

The House of the Dead Remake - Launch Trailer ^

extra

Apparently you can actually turn this game into a legit 10 hour movie where you just watch the events unfold and can change the personality of the characters to influence choices they make.  They talk about it at 6:59 in this vid.

Edit:  I think I might buy this game for the wife.  She really enjoyed Until Dawn  and this seems like it's going to stay closer to that game than the Dark Picture Anthology.

Edited by Sonichuman

VGM Fridays!!!  I've been pretty much listening to a Sonic playlist this entire week in anticipation for the 2nd Sonic movie aaand I also found out that April 6th was Xenoblade Chronicles 10th anniversary release over here in the states.  So I figure my first post will focus specifically Sonic 2 and XC1.

Spoiler

^ This is still probably my favorite remix of this theme, I thought the first one he put up on OCR was amazing and then getting a surprise redo of this on this album was even better

They did a great job on this track when they redid it for DE  in terms of instruments.  The remade version of this track is CLEAN AF.  I only have one issue with it personally, I think the vocal harmonizing went too opera with it in comparison to the version I put above.  They went too far in that aspect.   I wish they had took what they did vocal wise in the version they did above and kept it at the same level in the remake and it would have been perfect.

19 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Saudi Arabia owns 96% of SNK now. Wonder if they'll repurpose that scene of Geese falling off a building to reflect their values with SNK's modern kof roster. 

https://nichegamer.com/saudi-arabia-now-owns-96-of-snk-corporation/

This hopefully won't change much but damn, I hope they don't fuck it up... Or do more terrible shit that overrides my desire to play KOF, SamSho and other SNK games.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

This hopefully won't change much but damn, I hope they don't fuck it up... Or do more terrible shit that overrides my desire to play KOF, SamSho and other SNK games.

The Saudi Arabia Prince is a reformist, so is very likely, at least from his part, that there wouldn't changes into how SNK operates and makes their games.
Saying that, he is a mixed bag, since he is doing a lot in order to reform Arabia Saudi, like pushing to put the royal family under the law, westernizing in a lot of ways their society, but at the same time, has a authoritarian  regime, where there is a lot of human rights violations.

He has been doing a lot of good, but also a lot of bad, making it very complex to talk about his achievements, because as you know, people love to see only on black and white, specially on social media, ignoring the nuisances.

On one hand, he opened the opportunities for comedy shows, concerts with female singers, pushed for tax reformation and prosecuted corruption, pushed for energy security as a pillar to attend climate change , but on the other human rights activists have been tortured on his regime, the same for women activists.

Edited by Hecatom