Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Yoooo holy shit Elden Ring really does have just about everything. Was messing with Malenia's Great Rune and it literally activates the Rally System from Bloodborne. When you take damage you have orange health for a time and regain health by attacking enemies. It's  literally the Rally System. 

It's too bad most people only do one play through cuz this is an End Game Rune. 

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Because with how IP law works if you don't protect your IP from theft you lose the right to protect. If you let it slide here and not there when you do try to enforce it they will point to the time you didn't and you're gonna be fucked outta luck. 

Beyond that, and divorce it from the music, If you make a thing and somebody takes your thing without asking whether you make money on it or not, how is that OK? It's not mine. It's yours. You made it. Not me. You took the time, effort, and probably investment  to create this thing and I just said "Hah mine now, and everyone else's too!!!" 

How is that even morally defensible. Like not even law, just decent human behavior, it's literally theft. 

It's not "literally theft" especially not if the guy paid for the guide and you can't buy it anywhere anymore and you don't lose the right to protect by not going after any and all violations. I can understand them deep sixing ROM sites and like I said before, I understand that Nintendo is within their rights to do this, but it just shows how ridiculous a company they are going to these lengths especially if they have no plans to offer the guide for sale.

Edited by DoctaMario

Thinking back on it, Square, Nintendo and this whole viewpoint of protecting IPs to the point of fucking over people making cool fan project sucks.

Chrono Ressurection was cooler than anything Squaresoft has done with that IP since.  Even with the Slippi situation with Melee. Damn game is older than dirt. Who cares if people who don't bathe spent more time outside of the shower.

All in all, if the IP is owned by a major corporation,

fuck-em.gif

Edit: Triple concuring with that whole C&D over an old ass guide. if IP law means you gotta go after fans enjoying your shit in ridiculous way, IP law is fucked up and you're a 🤡 company.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yoooo holy shit Elden Ring really does have just about everything. Was messing with Malenia's Great Rune and it literally activates the Rally System from Bloodborne. When you take damage you have orange health for a time and regain health by attacking enemies. It's  literally the Rally System. 

It's too bad most people only do one play through cuz this is an End Game Rune. 

That's pretty cool, haven't got that yet. I've actually only used a rune arc once so far, and that was in effort to avoid re-spec'ing to use an incantation needed for a quest line. I'm way too stingy with consumables in games like that.

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Hot take: Most of those fan projects actually suck and those developers would be better spent making their own new IP instead of ganking someone else's. 

That's not really much of a hot take. That's a hilariously bad take. Reusing IPs to do new stories with them is all over the place.

But going after fans over some shit that's ultimately largely irrelevant to your bottom line is dumb. It'd be like Capcom going after people using fightcade. "Oh noes, somebody pirated X or Y game to play with better netcode." Never mind the fact that a lot of the people using it have already purchased the same games 3 times over.

WoTC did this and all it did was make it shittier for the people who were already spending money on their game. Even though none of the free options to play really impacted their bottom line. Even worse, they were ultimately going after me who was spending money weekly on their product.

So nah, 99.999999% of the time going after fans for doing some shit is dumb. Hell if music was gone after as zealously as they do some of the IP stuff in video games and other stuff, you literally wouldn't be able to make much new music.

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

That's not really much of a hot take. That's a hilariously bad take.

Naw I've played a lot of fan projects. They tend to suck. Alot. 

And I'm not arguing the intelligence of going after fans or not going after fans. Not really sure why you are coming at me from that angle. I'm not even arguing the legal status. I'm arguing what makes you feel so entitled you can just do whatever you want with someone else's stuff. It's not yours. I really disagree with this notion that creators loose ownership of stuff to their fans once they put it out there, that's bullshit and always has been. You consume the thing they make, you don't own it. It's not yours. It probably never will be either. 

8 minutes ago, Camacho said:

That's pretty cool, haven't got that yet. I've actually only used a rune arc once so far, and that was in effort to avoid re-spec'ing to use an incantation needed for a quest line. I'm way too stingy with consumables in games like that.

Yea you should use your Rune arcs more. Godricks is really good as you've seen and Rukards can make you a lot more durable since it boosts health. I haven't fiddled with the others too much yet. Malenia's Rune looks like it would be amazing on an aggressive build with a few other life steal peuces of gear, make you a counter hit immortal for the most part. 

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Because with how IP law works if you don't protect your IP from theft you lose the right to protect. If you let it slide here and not there when you do try to enforce it they will point to the time you didn't and you're gonna be fucked outta luck. 

A recent example is the moniker Billy Gunn. It was WWE IP,  Monty Sopp (the wrestler that went by the name) wanted to use the moniker in AEW. They wouldn't give him the rights to the name, but he used it anyway. Since the WWE didn't say anything, they lost the ability to fight his right to use it. On the flip side Tom Büdgen (Aleister Black) had to change his name to Malakai Black in AEW because the WWE did defend their IP.

TLDR; WWE lost the Billy Gunn name because they didn't defend it. 

34 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Naw I've played a lot of fan projects. They tend to suck. Alot. 

And I'm not arguing the intelligence of going after fans or not going after fans. Not really sure why you are coming at me from that angle. I'm not even arguing the legal status. I'm arguing what makes you feel so entitled you can just do whatever you want with someone else's stuff. It's not yours. I really disagree with this notion that creators loose ownership of stuff to their fans once they put it out there, that's bullshit and always has been. You consume the thing they make, you don't own it. It's not yours. It probably never will be either. 

Entitled to like things so much that people do stuff with your IP? 

Yeah...stupid people playing the music of bands they like. Some of these guys even do it live at venues and get paid for it. Those guys should also get buttfucked over shitty covers.

Matter of fact, we should also be donating to all the people using the Romeo and Juliet plot under new names. There really haven't been that many instances where a fan version of anything actually threatened any IP holder. Unless what the IP holder did with it is being hilariously shitty.

If you're gonna go after Slippi or any other goofy project that hard, you'd have to go after cosplayers, the SMW edit community, people who write fanfiction etc. All those people are using other's IPs as a means to just show some fandom and/or get extra enjoyment out of shit they spent money on.

Hell if it wasn't for people "being entitled to shit" we wouldn't have ROMs. Hell Nintendo wouldn't be able to make the SNES Mini since they reused roms made by fans to sell that product. All in all that entitlement lead to a product they used in market.

The problem with the IP situation is that corporations paid good money to create abusive laws then ran a good ass propaganda campaigns to make themselves seem good when defending them.  so yeah, everything about that take is wrong. Just because the law is written in a way that gets abused doesn't mean that the actual reality of "people being entitled to do whatever" doesn't lead to more benefits than what C&Ds do for them.

There are multiple industries that thrive despite not having those overbearing IP protections and the world hasn't ended for them.

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

A recent example is the moniker Billy Gunn. It was WWE IP,  Monty Sopp (the wrestler that went by the name) wanted to use the moniker in AEW. They wouldn't give him the rights to the name, but he used it anyway. Since the WWE didn't say anything, they lost the ability to fight his right to use it. On the flip side Tom Büdgen (Aleister Black) had to change his name to Malakai Black in AEW because the WWE did defend their IP.

TLDR; WWE lost the Billy Gunn name because they didn't defend it. 

Great example of IP law being abused to fuck over regular workers.

This is a great example of why IP law is absolute trash, not why regular people should ever take the position of defending it.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Hot take: Most of those fan projects actually suck and those developers would be better spent making their own new IP instead of ganking someone else's. 

:coffee:

Isn't that how two of the biggest indies of the past generation came about in Undertale (Earthbound) and Stardew Valley (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)?

4 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Isn't that how two of the biggest indies of the past generation came about in Undertale (Earthbound) and Stardew Valley (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)?

"Most" is definitely different from "all." But in any case both of those games are original IPs so they aren't the same as a MegaMan fan game, for example.

47 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Both of those games take inspiration from something they loved and do something new and unique with it. That's different from making an Earthbound game. Undertale would have been so much more limited in what it could have done if it was an Earthbound game instead.

Shovel Kights a perfect example. It's inspired by NES Ducktales and Megaman but it's neither of those games at all despite having the platforming and pogo mechanics of both. They took those things they loved and did their own thing with it and made something super cool, instead of a knock off. 

55 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Yeah...stupid people playing the music of bands they like. Some of these guys even do it live at venues and get paid for it. Those guys should also get buttfucked over shitty covers.

As soon as they distribute their cover song they have to pay royalties and distribution rights for that song. I never said they should get buttfucked I said they should release their own original content instead of being a cover band only.  I also said most fan GAMES are not very good, because they aren't. I never said shit about the quality of work done by fucking cover bands. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yes it literally is. Unauthorized copy and distribution is theft.

I'm not against people doing it, I'm just against them crying about it when they get their pee pee slapped for doing shit we all know the end game of. 

You're getting tilted about the company who's charging everyone x dollars a month to play old ass Nintendo games on switch.

If you're not against people doing it, then why are you defending dumbass corporate IP practices? I say this as someone who makes a living with my own IP. 

57 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You're getting tilted

I'm not tilted, stop it. 

You're getting tilted about the company who's charging everyone x dollars a month to play old ass Nintendo games on switch.

If they wanna do that that's their choice. It's your choice to pirate their shit to if you want, just don't cry about it when you get slapped for it, we all know the score. Why are people running to Twitter to cry about not getting away with theft? That's Goofy as fuck. 

If you're not against people doing it, then why are you defending dumbass corporate IP practices? I say this as someone who makes a living with my own IP. 

I'm not defending it. My stance for most of this has been asking you guys to justify stealing other people's stuff, regardless of the law and the best any of you can give me is "Well like...they don't make money on it anymore so I should just be able to just...give it away for them" as if that justifies taking someone's thing and doing whatever you want with it. 

The ones getting tilted are you guys because you're being asked to justify your stance on stealing someone else's stuff regardless of the law and you can barely come up with anything of logical merit. Squatters rights is the extent of your argument. 

Aries posted the Tweet about the stupid guide book scans so I asked Aries to justify why the guy should be able to distribute someone else's property and you guys all got huffy and puffy with weak justification. Aries didn't even reply and he's the one I actually asked.  

But sure, I'm the one whose angry. 

Edited by RSG3

i don't even know what people are mad about anymore the shits out there now if you want it. why can't people steal shit quietly like your supposed to.

also don't care about most fan remakes  but i never could figure out why they make the shocked pikachu face after they get shut down after releasing 15 trailers drawing attention to themselves just shadow drop that shit.

Edited by nickmanx5
46 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is like Happiness: The Game. Like, when I started playing, joyful emotions washed over me. It has been about 3 years since I played a new Kirby game. Did I really forget how happy these games can make you?

And WHERE IS THE HORN ON THE CAR?! You had ONE JOB, Hal, ONE JOB!!!

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

I had to run errands all afternoon after work so I wasn’t able to pick up my copy. 

I gotta do some more errands before work tomorrow as well so I’ll likely grab my copy then. 

I played a bit of Kirby yesterday.  Its real cute.  I had to explain to my lady what Kirby was and that the car I was driving around was just Kirby with the car in his mouth.  My lady thought it was super cute and now wants to get the grandkids a switch and that game.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So after 14 hours I decided to look at a guide for Elden Ring.  Figure out where to go or some shit.  It told me to go to some caves and get whatevers.  So I go there but I cant fight anything and I just get beat.  Some days later I'm told I can fight the bad guys if I use 2-hand style with my weapons.  So I go back there and do that.  I'm able to kill stuff down there finally but everything is pretty fuckin' tough.  Fuck it I just decide to run by the bad guys and grab what I can and keep on running.   I guess I made it to the bottom cause all that was down there was a dead end and a door leading to some giant troll thing.  I said "fuck it" and went to fight that huge troll creature.  Its smooshed me.  I left those caves after that.  I also said fuck that guide.  hmhmhm

spacer.png

It's been years since I cared about Halo... but WHAT in the hell?

https://screenrant.com/halo-show-human-covenant-forerunner-rings-reason/

Someone on a podcast mentioned this in passing so I started looking things up... why would there be a human.... in a leadership role in the Covenant?!  What the hell are they doing here with this show? 🤣 Bruh c'mon man... ah, AngryJoe has a review up of course... heh, this should be good

In terms of the games though... the Gears franchise kinda took over for me.  After Unreal Championship 2, everything in Halo felt like slow-motion gameplay...then Gears of War happened and it was really tough to go back to the Halo universe after that.  I did have Halo 5 but I barely remember any of that.

ah, first thing that popped up in recommended today... more rune farming options in Elden:

I haven't tried the dragon farm... seems like more effort than just killing the albanauric guys on that hill after the Varre quest.... at 2,044 a pice, that's over 10k for each pack of 5, obviously...and they can be killed quickly, so it's too good.  I keep going back there whenever I have a lot of runes and I'm close to another level-up (to avoid the scenario of getting killed while having a LOT of runes on me; I'll go there to get whatever remaining # I need to get the level-up out of the way.)

Edited by MillionX

that reminds me... there's a 300 MS reward point for watching Halo on Paramount + at the moment on the rewards app... still not quite worth it to me; I'm also not spending money *just* for that 1 show... as far as I know they don't have anything else on that service that interests me.

Anyway... the time for Wonderlands is finally here

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

Someone on a podcast mentioned this in passing so I started looking things up... why would there be a human.... in a leadership role in the Covenant?! 

Because uncreative Hollywood hacks can't come up with their own good ideas, so they license and ruin existing IPs. That way they can pass off their ineptitude on the "toxic" fandom that calls out their bullshit.

Objective look at Nintendo and the IP situation.  I'm gonna preface this with the subjective.  I think Nintendo has been super petty on some of the things they've done recently.  Copywright striking music from their games on a video platform isn't really hurting much of anything and it'd help if they did what Namco and some other companies startes doing and put up the music themselves.  Slapping down a guide to a game that is almost 26 years old at this point that is just telling people how to beat said game feels overly excessive and obsessive.  Regardless of how I feel the the objective part of this is that Nintendo is well within their right to take down anything that they've published, made, have a right to.  Its their stuff and if they want to be control freaks over any and everything regarding their IP then there isn't much that can be dine especially if they're this way to make sure they establish the line firmly on what they find to be acceptable and not.  I don't like it but that's too bad...just gonna have to cope.

32 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

did anyone else besides @MillionXpick up Tiny Tina's? I'm curious to hear other opinions.

I'll probably grab it this weekend sometime, but I won't start it for a while. Still getting through Forbidden West, and then I have Elton Ring. I might give it a try on the side before I beat Forbidden West though- my good friend is getting it and if we can co-op I may play it sooner than later.

So I got started in Wonderlands... already made 2 characters for the 2 classes that jump out right away as interesting to me... Graveborn and Spellshot...both are up at level 3 so far; those first couple of level-ups happen fast.  Stabbomancer appeals to me as well so I'll probably go that route with a character later.  

Well, MrMattyPlays was disappointed by it... I'm checking out random reviews now...

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

if they want to be control freaks 

Is not about being control freaks.

This is not a jab at you, but I think that people got too accustomed to what is thievery and now when the right holders exert their right to protect their stuff, they get mad about it.

The excuse of "they are not making money from it"  is as dumb as a burglar saying that he stole your stuff on your storage room because you have not used it in 10 years.

Or someone using some land that you own to build a house and trying to say that because you have not done anything with it in x amount of years that there shouldn't be a problem.

That shit wouldn't gonna fly with anyone, so dunno why in the case of intellectual properties people want to pretend it will.

Is dumb to try to rationalize it as if even if is their right, they are wrong to do it.

26 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

The only reason Everquest 2 ever got any traction was because it came out at the same time as vanilla World of Warcraft, and copies of WoW couldn't be made fast enough to satisfy demand.

Lol, it was the other way around, it didn't get traction because WoW killed any momentum it had, since it was released 2 weeks before WoW, and the game was slower in comparision plus it put an emphasis on playing in teams, while WoW allowed you to play solo.

Then add that the 1st expansion was poorly received and that was it for the game.