Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

11 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

The only reason Everquest 2 ever got any traction was because it came out at the same time as vanilla World of Warcraft, and copies of WoW couldn't be made fast enough to satisfy demand.

As someone that played Everquest 2, that couldn't be further from the truth. WoW was less complex and dumbed down in comparison to EQ2. I used to tank raids for my guild. We didn't play EQ2 because we couldn't get copies of WoW, we didn't play WoW, we didn't like WoW.  We used to call it World of Borecraft. EQ2 wasn't some consolation prize, it was our game of choice. You don't play a monthly fee for a game you aren't into. 

Ok yeah Spellshot is definitely my jam in Wonderlands...level 10 so far and it's fun; the bonus with this class is having 2 spells at a time; other characters can only have 1.  Basically in "Fantasy version Borderlands" here, the "spell" is what your grenade would have been, and your other attacks are with guns or your action skill.  Spellshot has an action skill of turning enemies into something else which allows for free "extra" spell effects if you shoot out the "polymorphed" enemy....or you can choose the action skill of just having a 2nd spell equipped, starting at level 7.  

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is not about being control freaks.

This is not a jab at you, but I think that people got too accustomed to what is thievery and now when the right holders exert their right to protect their stuff, they get mad about it.

The excuse of "they are not making money from it"  is as dumb as a burglar saying that he stole your stuff on your storage room because you have not used it in 10 years.

Or someone using some land that you own to build a house and trying to say that because you have not done anything with it in x amount of years that there shouldn't be a problem.

That shit wouldn't gonna fly with anyone, so dunno why in the case of intellectual properties people want to pretend it will.

Is dumb to try to rationalize it as if even if is their right, they are wrong to do it.

I wouldn't take it as a jab anyway cause I get why Nintendo is doing what they're doing,  I just don't like the petty way they're going about it despite it being their right to do so.  Whether I like it or anybody else likes it doesn't matter though because at the end of the day, its their IP and they can protect it how they see fit.  It's same thing I said earlier, if the Nintendo or any company were to actually go after someone to protect their property or someone were to try to fight them in court and use the 'they're not making money from it' defense, it wouldn't hold any water.

45 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

@Darc_Requiem

@Hecatom

My clan and I are looking to raid tonight but we're a player short. Either of you guys interested? We ran it last week and beat it so we know what we're doing mostly. Figured I'd d give y'all a shout before we LFG someone.

If i wasn't dealing with some head cold BS would say put me in coach lol. Next time thou also GreyFoxx#1978 is my BN 🙂

the weekends just aren't enough... all I did really was play Wonderlands and watch Demon Slayer today... and in what seems like a "a little while", this glorious Saturday is already over.  Anyway, I have my Spellshot character up to level 13, which is the point where you can add a secondary class... so now he's Spellshot+Graveborn.  On spellshot side of the skilltree...there's one node called "glass cannon" that gives you 30% spell damage bonus....at the cost of your ward (shield) no longer auto-regenerating....I couldn't resist the power; I took that skill.  So...I guess you *have* to then take the other one that makes it so each stack of spellweaving restores some of your ward.

There's times I wish the game would be a little bit more serious though... then again, because of the premise (Tina's goofball ass being a dungeon-master for table-top DnD shenanigans) there was no chance of that.  ...some of it has been genuinely funny to me though.  I suppose that this is perfect for a "Dookie-Man" character to be my next one then, since that would fit right in with the tone of this game....heh, yeah I think he'll be the melee Thor type.  There's a few ways in customization to make the character look like literal shit.

Edited by MillionX

Finished my first campaign in Elden Ring today, still going to go back after missed locations/items before NG+. My opinion of the game is a bit mixed- having played both Nioh games between my last Souls playthrough and this, it really drove home how much better Nioh's combat feels. ER often feels like your character is moving through peanut butter while lots of the enemies have DMC5 Dante agility and near infinite poise (anyone else get this impression fighting Alecto?). It really encourages leaning on broken shit and/or over leveling unless you're willing to spend hours learning when/where to dodge giant ass un-natural contortionist swings and AOE's (many of which will 1-2 shot you) and when you can get a measly 4 second poke or 5 second heal in-between the onslaughts. I can't help but think the bosses would be more fun if you could take hits like your mimic can, or at least if there was a boss replay option like Sekiro. I'd also like to see how it would be balanced if it was tuned with character progression more like Sekiro (where "levels" come mostly from bosses and a few items scattered around) than traditional leveling, though I know that wouldn't be very Souls-ish.   

random shit---heh, on a recent podcast with Anna the Star Wars Girl, she mentioned being around level 80 at this point....and still has not even tried fighting Margit yet.  Good laughs were had by all at her expense...  at this point it might be a lopsided fight in her favor if she does a lot of damage fast before he can do much of anything.  I forgot what level I was when I was struggling and finally beat him but it was definitely way before 80, I'm sure.  It seems so long ago... but it was funny that she's gone that far with the farming and has only really dug into about 10% of the game.

When I left off, I was in the Volcano Manor and had recently defeated Rykard/God-Devouring Serpent....I was up to level 132 at this point... I think my next adventure is back in that Capital City area; I doubt I've finished everything there is to do there....but I already have the snowy northern area unlocked too.  

Edited by MillionX

I watched some cutscenes from Stranger of Paradise and Jack is a riot. I love how one dimensional and one track minded he is. If it has nothing to do with chaos he will not give a fuck.  I saw one scene where one of the party members wanted to open up about their past but Jack treats it as if his time is being wasted and tells the party to continue onward.

There's another scene where the party arrives in town after the forces of chaos wrecked the place. The party is comforting a little boy who just lost his parents. The party tried to get Jack to say some encouraging words but he coldly asks the kid where the mayor's office is. When he tells him the mayor is dead Jack completely loses interest in the kid. 

Then there are the moments where villains introduce themselves and Jack responses by saying he doesn't care and lunge at them. Ally characters are ready to give exposition dumps Jack cuts them off because he ain't got time for that shit. 

He's not a great character by any means but I had a good time every time he was on screen.

I am just completely blown away by the scale and size of Elden Ring and like every day, I have a new moment where that shit blows me away.

Like I am almost 100 hours into it and I still don't even have the whole map unlocked yet.  

And I am STILL finding new stuff in areas I have already explored, or new little things open up.  It's just insane the scale of this game.

Like last night I decided to go to the other sisters tower that had the door blocked off, after finishing Nokron, and it was now open.  Then it teleported me down to an underground area I had already been to, but to a part that was inaccessible.  And then in that area, I found ANOTHER underground area that I had no clue existed and now I get to have fun in the Lake of Rot lol.

Game is unreal.

Just now, MillionX said:

One cinematic that stood out to me, at least from what I played so far was from the fight with Rennala... this shit was/is so cool for a "2nd phase" intro:

There are some random ass cinematics in the game though lol.

Like when I raised the bridge in the lava manor, it was this fancy like 45 second clip of the bridge coming up.

Then when I finished Nokron and made it to the Deep Roots, the whole "floating up the river" cinematic seemed completely pointless.

So far I think my favorite cinematic was the going into the second phase of the Serpent boss.  It's just disgusting lol and I knew what the weapon would be after defeating him.

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I am just completely blown away by the scale and size of Elden Ring and like every day, I have a new moment where that shit blows me away.

Like I am almost 100 hours into it and I still don't even have the whole map unlocked yet.  

And I am STILL finding new stuff in areas I have already explored, or new little things open up.  It's just insane the scale of this game.

Like last night I decided to go to the other sisters tower that had the door blocked off, after finishing Nokron, and it was now open.  Then it teleported me down to an underground area I had already been to, but to a part that was inaccessible.  And then in that area, I found ANOTHER underground area that I had no clue existed and now I get to have fun in the Lake of Rot lol.

Game is unreal.

The balls to hide secreate areas inside secret areas......INSIDE SECRET AREAS!!!

There's a wall in Volcano Manor that dissapears if you hit it 50 times. What the fuck!?!?!?!

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

The balls to hide secreate areas inside secret areas......INSIDE SECRET AREAS!!!

There's a wall in Volcano Manor that dissapears if you hit it 50 times. What the fuck!?!?!?!

Yeah I saw that video but was that actually revealing a secret area?  It looked like it just put the person back in a room you can get into already.

I did still have one locked door in the "lobby" of the manor after finishing everything else that I had found.

Was such a troll job that like the whole level is basically hidden behind a hidden wall, especially when you can't even use your weapon in the manor.  I kind of lucked into finding it.

18 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I saw that video but was that actually revealing a secret area?  It looked like it just put the person back in a room you can get into already.

I did still have one locked door in the "lobby" of the manor after finishing everything else that I had found.

Was such a troll job that like the whole level is basically hidden behind a hidden wall, especially when you can't even use your weapon in the manor.  I kind of lucked into finding it.

One of the benefits to playing online is that wall is plastered with messages. Too many to be a lie. It's why Souls fans wax about how important the community aspects of these games are...because they are. By playing offline you're missing a large chunk of the experience.

Not trying to tell you to play online just that a lot of the reason the game gets away with being that obscure and esoteric with so many things is the built in community tools the players have to help themselves throughout the experience either directly or indirectly. I "found" a hidden wall in one of the Catacombs because I saw someone's Player Phantom walk through a wall. Playing the game online means you are always playing eith other people and getting help from them through both direct and indirect means. It's a really smart and creative system that helps elevate it to another level.  It takes the Zelda 1 Lunchroom conversations at school and makes them an intrinsic design mechanic of the game itself. 

Edit: I just want to stress that I'm really not trying to tell you to go out and buy PS+ or something because I know thats what it looks like singing the systems praises. I well and truly believe that the design philosophy that makes these games as great as they are is the openess and freedom to play however the fuck you want. If you don't want to play online do you, it's why offline mode exists and it's as valid as any other way to play. I just think a lot of people who choose to play offline aren't aware of just how much they are missing. They generally think they are losing out on co-op and avoiding invasions but it's so much more then that, so I wanted to explain the other benefits the system gives beyond the Invasion and co-op mechanics. For how brutal these games can be they actually extend a helping had extremely often and the entire online ecosystem of the games is a really big part of that. 

Just for clarities sake heh. 

Edited by RSG3
18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

One of the benefits to playing online is that wall is plastered with messages. Too many to be a lie. It's why Souls fans wax about how important the community aspects of these games are...because they are. By playing offline you're missing a large chunk of the experience.

Not trying to tell you to play online just that a lot of the reason the game gets away with being that obscure and esoteric with so many things is the built in community tools the players have to help themselves throughout the experience either directly or indirectly. I "found" a hidden wall in one of the Catacombs because I saw someone's Player Phantom walk through a wall. Playing the game online means you are always playing eith other people and getting help from them through both direct and indirect means. It's a really smart and creative system that helps elevate it to another level.  It takes the Zelda 1 Lunchroom conversations at school and makes them an intrinsic design mechanic of the game itself. 

Edit: I just want to stress that I'm really not trying to tell you to go out and buy PS+ or something because I know thats what it looks like singing the systems praises. I well and truly believe that the design philosophy that makes these games as great as they are is the openess and freedom to play however the fuck you want. If you don't want to play online do you, it's why offline mode exists and it's as valid as any other way to play. I just think a lot of people who choose to play offline aren't aware of just how much they are missing. They generally think they are losing out on co-op and avoiding invasions but it's so much more then that, so I wanted to explain the other benefits the system gives beyond the Invasion and co-op mechanics. For how brutal these games can be they actually extend a helping had extremely often and the entire online ecosystem of the games is a really big part of that. 

Just for clarities sake heh. 

Yeah that is cool and all but I prefer to figure out this stuff on my own.  It wouldn't be the same if I just saw a wall like that and knew immediately it was a secret.  It's way more rewarding and fun to do it myself and figure it out and have that HOLY FUCK moment that I wouldn't have had if someone told me it was there.  It's similar to me with following guides for a game like this.  It would just completely ruin a lot of the fun.

Which is why I said do whatever you want, it's just less trolly for them to hide the whole level behind one secret wall when you realize the tools they give you subverts much of the esoteric nature of the "secrets."

Basically that wall isn't much of a secret, they expect you to find it easily because they expect you to be playing online where you'll have community help finding it in game. 

It's like the overeorld in Zelda 1. Every screen just about has 1 secret. After finding a few Nintendo hopes you notice the pattern and thus the rest of the secrets are just a little but less so. 

Man, is there spoilers and such in all the shit you guys discussing in ER?  I see that y'all are talkin' about it so I just skip by your posts cause I dont wanna spoil much.

I tried this game last night.  I remember when it was announced some years ago and how I thought it was gonna start some controversy.  I guess it didnt.  Anyhow, it is just a mass shooter simulator.  But I like that I can drive through houses and other buildings.

27 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Man, is there spoilers and such in all the shit you guys discussing in ER?  I see that y'all are talkin' about it so I just skip by your posts cause I dont wanna spoil much.

Not really. Would only be if the words Volcano Manor mean anything to you, which if I remember where in the game you are (still near the beginning) and your record for finishing long games...you won't even make it to Volcano Manor for it to matter. *shrug*

Edited by RSG3

Yeah, a shame that Hatred came and went like a flash in the pan... sadly my weak computer couldn't even run it at all.... once I finally get Steam Deck I'll be able to play it.  

Also, I was sure that Hatred was supposedly coming to the Switch, surprisingly; there was a video preview of it about 2 or 3 years ago... then I guess that fell through and just never happened.  I appreciate what that game set out to do... it was set up to be like a new-era "Postal".  I like it when a game puts the player truly in the role of "the bad guy"....it is always a refreshing change of pace from most forms of entertainment where we're supposed to play or cheer for the "heroes" of the story.