Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Played some Sekiro boss rush today. Took me a few minutes to re-acclimate from playing Elden Ring, but man, I love Sekiro's combat. I realize my opinion is skewed since I've played an absurd amount of the game, but playing the two back to back really re-affirms how you've got an intuitive answer for everything in Sekiro at any given time, it's just a matter of reflexes and learning patterns. The game will punish you if you fuck up, but recovering is less of a falling down the stairs type phenomenon than it is in ER. You can almost always throw a firecracker to get a heal in if you need to, and you're always capable of being dangerous. Hearing how many Souls fans struggled with Sekiro makes me wonder how those people approach their Souls playthroughs after all that "git gud" talk. 

There is an interesting phenomenon with Sekiro where the majority of the players dropped off hard after the Ancient Dragon Fight. I was even in this group for a while. I made it to Sword Saint Isshin but the 3 phases was such a drain I put the game down for a while. When I came back to it tho I really ran the game and it felt really good. 

I think Sekiro exposed a lot of the toxic people in the 'Souls" community. Git Gud used to be a mantra of "Here's what you need to know but eventually you have to get good, You have to learn the movesets" Yada Yada you know the rhetoric. Problem was eventually it got turned in a mocking term for people who asked for advice by assholes. Sekiro exposed those assholes because in Sekiro you can't outlevel the problem. You can't summon help for the problem. You can't change your build to counter the problem. In Sekiro for most of how the game works, you have your tools and that's it. You actually have to get get good to progress in Sekiro and it drummed a lot of people out due to the fact it's not a Souls game. It's not an rpg that let's you have free reign over your stats. It has some sub weapons to supplement your moveset, some items, a couple ability based skill trees and some health ups. Sekiro is an action game and it demands you rise to a specific skill level as that's how action games work. You have to rise to their level or go home. Souls has lots of outs for it's players if they just think creatively or take advantage of its systems. I defeated the second Tree Sentinel in Altus by sneaking behind and just using Poison Mist over and over. He won't even aggro. Sekiro doesn't have shit like that. 

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

There is an interesting phenomenon with Sekiro where the majority of the players dropped off hard after the Ancient Dragon Fight. I was even in this group for a while. I made it to Sword Saint Isshin but the 3 phases was such a drain I put the game down for a while. When I came back to it tho I really ran the game and it felt really good. 

I think Sekiro exposed a lot of the toxic people in the 'Souls" community. Git Gud used to be a mantra of "Here's what you need to know but eventually you have to get good, You have to learn the movesets" Yada Yada you know the rhetoric. Problem was eventually it got turned in a mocking term for people who asked for advice by assholes. Sekiro exposed those assholes because in Sekiro you can't outlevel the problem. You can't summon help for the problem. You can't change your build to counter the problem. In Sekiro for most of how the game works, you have your tools and that's it. You actually have to get get good to progress in Sekiro and it drummed a lot of people out due to the fact it's not a Souls game. It's not an rpg that let's you have free reign over your stats. It has some sub weapons to supplement your moveset, some items, a couple ability based skill trees and some health ups. Sekiro is an action game and it demands you rise to a specific skill level as that's how action games work. You have to rise to their level or go home. Souls has lots of outs for it's players if they just think creatively or take advantage of its systems. I defeated the second Tree Sentinel in Altus by sneaking behind and just using Poison Mist over and over. He won't even aggro. Sekiro doesn't have shit like that. 

Honestly, I think that's one of the things that makes me love the PS2 Shinobi so much- aside from the sword awakening (which opens up one of the game's central mechanics) in stage 1-B, there's zero character progression. No way to expand your lifebar, no leveling your weapons, no additional tools to be found, no gear, no stock of items to lean on, no way to cheese through things. Getting better at the game is literally the only way through it, and the game is tuned with that in mind. It's a much more pure experience, Truly old school design philosophy at work. I'd like more of the "git gud" douchebags to take that one on.  

I am starting to feel like I am a bit over leveled in Elden Ring but I don't even give a shit the game is still fun as hell lol.  I still love exploring every nook and cranny of every part of the game and just getting as many items/runes as I can get powering up.

I defeated like 10 bosses last night and they all felt super simple lol. And I am just leveling up with ease now and leveling up costs so much more now too. I keep killing these bosses/mini-bosses and just get a ton of runes and can level up. Then I find another one and level up again after defeating em. I faced the Capital City boss last night and it was one of the easiest bosses I've faced lol. I blew through like 3 dragons last night and also the one where you face like 6 at the same time by the really large one. Then that boss that is in the rainy north east portion of Caelid by where the guy you give deathroots to I faced and before I would do no damage to that guy and he would crush me, but this time I got him pretty convincingly on my 2nd try.

I am using my mimic tear +10 and the blasphemous blade +9 and it's just tearing through everything. I unlocked a 4th talisman slot yesterday too after defeating one of the bosses as well so now I am rocking the golden scarab all the time and getting more runes, instead of just using it while farming. I'm using scarab, then one that gives +5 strength, one that raises attributes but makes you take more damage, and one that uses less FP on attacks that use it.

I still have quite a bit to explore in the capital city though so I plan on doing that before moving to the next part. I also have a castle I haven't explored yet so want to do that too. But I'm definitely making progress.

10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh shit, Bungie coming for the cheeks of the people who put those copyright strikes on the Destiny 2 vids.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-sues-fake-youtube-copyright-claims-before-it-knows-who-they-are

This is about to put the copyright trolls on notice lol

Good. A lot of them will hesitate if they are consequences. It won't stop everyone but it should cut this type of crap down.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh shit, Bungie coming for the cheeks of the people who put those copyright strikes on the Destiny 2 vids.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-sues-fake-youtube-copyright-claims-before-it-knows-who-they-are

This is about to put the copyright trolls on notice lol

Bout fuckin time someone stepped up and did this. Youtube basically does nothing about the fraud that effects their creators on YouTube, the only care about companies and shit. This is a rampant issue on YouTube and if Google isn't gonna do something about it then someone else should step and do it for them. 

12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Former Insomniac dev spills tea that she was the brain actually responsible for Rivet in R&C after not being mentioned once in an interview regarding her development.

Not taking anything away from what she's stating, but honestly Rivet was a pretty lame character.  Not like the personality or part of the story, but the fact that she didn't even have any of her own move set or anything and just took whatever upgrades you got while Ratchet.  It was pretty pointless to play as Rivet.  They could have done so much more with her and made levels or parts of levels specific for her where her specific move set would be needed to pass certain parts, etc.

But nope, it's literally just a reskinned Ratchet.

I'm a HUGE fan of R&C but that was really my only gripe with the latest one.  It felt really lazy to me and definitely disappointing.  I fully expected a new character with new moves and stuff but nope.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Not taking anything away from what she's stating, but honestly Rivet was a pretty lame character.  Not like the personality or part of the story, but the fact that she didn't even have any of her own move set or anything and just took whatever upgrades you got while Ratchet.  It was pretty pointless to play as Rivet.  They could have done so much more with her and made levels or parts of levels specific for her where her specific move set would be needed to pass certain parts, etc.

I'm a HUGE fan of R&C but that was really my only gripe with the latest one.  It felt really lazy to me and definitely disappointing.  I fully expected a new character with new moves and stuff but nope.

Rivet is lame and redundant. If they wanted a female Lombax why not bring back Angela? She disappeared after Going Commando. She's a far more interesting character to boot.

32 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Jesus more free DLC? 

Iga....I'd buy some of this man....like...I wanna support you so you can making more shit but you keep giving me everything for free!!!

The previous stuff was part of the stretch goals, this feels like maybe they got a hook up and just stuck it in. Weird, it is this late, you would have thought they move on towards a sequel/new game altogether by now.

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Rivet is lame and redundant. If they wanted a female Lombax why not bring back Angela? She disappeared after Going Commando. She's a far more interesting character to boot.

That is because was designed to be furry bait first and foremost according to a twitter thread after the announcement, and that the r34 was not only expected but the reaction they were hoping, they wanted her to be the furry awakening for people, the same as lola and krystal where for others. 🤣

Of course after they ended discussing about it with the mentally challenged and mentally ill on their staff

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/07/26/ratchet-ps5-rivet-argument/

Back into the world of Elden Ring...

Tonight, I went back to the capital city area... found a spot with "Falling Star Beast" so of course I couldn't resist trying him... this wasn't much of a threat though since I already fought another version of this creature in some other area, and it turned out the attacks were about the same.  Right next to this was the area where you see two Tree Sentinels... but this is actually easy since you can attack from an area where they can't reach you!  I just stayed outside the stairs area and the one that noticed me had no way of actually hitting me from there... I took the other one down later with the help of my Mimic; it still isn't fully leveled up though, only about +4 at the moment.  ...still, the Mimic is such a strong distraction that I had no problem bombarding him with the rock spell.  Regular "Comet" (not "Azur") also does some significant damage as well.

That farm spot with all the passive enemies that are 2,044 a piece... there's also the large bird enemy across the pit on your left... that's quite an extra bonus there because demonic "Big Bird" over there is worth 11,000+!!  If you have a bow and arrows, you can hit the bird... then he runs over trying to retaliate, but he always falls into the pit....so this is an extra 11k runes on top of all those enemies that are 2,000 each per farm session....so the number of runes gained is insane if you also go for that bird each time.  In seconds you're talking about just 5 of those little "albaneurics" guys = 10k+ with the bird that's already 21k runes right there in no time... and of course there's a lot more than just 5 of those guys.