Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

7 minutes ago, Volt said:

Scrubs malding about the resident Grappler on their first 3 days with a game.

Am I supposed to be surprised? 🤣

You're supposed to be understanding. Justin plays in a way that lets him get thrown without issue, and he still has counter plays for that. Despite that he still got fukt by Pot. Evil shit.

33 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

The game isn't in the universe of settled enough to start really caring about balance.

Pot had degenerate shit, plain and simple. Degenerate shit by it's very nature is busted at first glance, then gets solved and anyone dialed in will know how to beat it. 

People need to chill on the balance stuff. like you said

37 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

The version of Strive we'll be playing in June 2021 will be very different than what we'll be playing in June 2022,

Fighting games today get rid of truly broken shit immediately. And if pot really is that busted and top tier, play pot lol 

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Pot had degenerate shit, plain and simple. Degenerate shit by it's very nature is busted at first glance, then gets solved and anyone dialed in will know how to beat it. 

People need to chill on the balance stuff. like you said

Fighting games today get rid of truly broken shit immediately. And if pot really is that busted and top tier, play pot lol 

Grapplers in general tend to get people heated. I can sympathize, though I have a fondness for the archetype so I'm more willing to let it slide. NGL after watching Pot vids I definitely want to try him in Strive.

Like there is inevitably some stuff that is a little too wackadoo that will very likely need to be adjusted. And it wouldn't shock me at all if there wasn't a broad pass on damage and frame data. But to your point it seems very silly to me to change too much before people can really get in there and learn the match ups at all. Things also get weird because Internet and how many of those people that are clamoring for changes even really played or are just memeing. Shit like that.

Whatever. Still pumped for the game, especially with the delay hopefully polishing some stuff up. I have zero expectations of the lobbies actually changing (they put a lot of work into what they have and 2 months isn't near enough time to redo that) but if they can just get them running more smoothly and not have 70% of your Strive experience be "dumb lobby shit" and 30% be "FUCK YEAH SMELL OF THE GAME" I'll call it a win.

20 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Grapplers in general tend to get people heated.

Yeah, I hear it all the time by the FGC talking heads, grapplers eat paint, playing a grappler is braindead, blah blah blah. 

Old boring takes that are usually just for the purpose of trolling. 

Grapplers are imho super honest: They want to get in your face and grab you, cause if they can do that 2-3 times, they win.

Edited by KingTubb
10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, I hear it all the time by the FGC talking heads, grapplers eat paint, playing a grappler is braindead, blah blah blah. 

Grapplers are imho super honest: They want to get in your face and grab you, cause if they can do that 2-3 times, they win.

People, very understandably, don't like feeling helpless. Grapplers and zoners tend to frustrate a lot because they evoke that feeling really well if the player is using the appropriately.

Well played grapplers can be a thing of beauty. I sill fondly remember Itazan's run with Abigail I think it was 2 years back during CPT Finals. He had to fight some wars to get through the brackets including an amazing set vs Menat (can't remember who was piloting, maybe Justin at the time?) For as much as anyone can meme about Abigail (and if any grappler char screamed "I EAT PAINT CHIPS" it is that one) Itazan put on a clinic of smart play and expert decision making. 

1 hour ago, Volt said:

I actually tried to play +R but limiting myself to Strive gatlings to not mess up muscle memory.

It doesn't work. 

I do want to get some practice in tho, despite the fact that right now, I only got Switch +R's training mode. What do you think I should work on?

I know you couldn’t play the beta, but was there anyone that interested you? Ie, someone you’d likely lab in Strive?

tbh, I’d just lab the absolute piss out of them in +R or Rev2 if you can. I’m labbing Millia in Rev2 and her gameplan is very similar. Yeah, combos and oki setups may be different, but her strat, buttons, and specials are all basically the same, and at least I’ll have an idea as to what to do in neutral.

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I know you couldn’t play the beta, but was there anyone that interested you? Ie, someone you’d likely lab in Strive?

tbh, I’d just lab the absolute piss out of them in +R or Rev2 if you can. I’m labbing Millia in Rev2 and her gameplan is very similar. Yeah, combos and oki setups may be different, but her strat, buttons, and specials are all basically the same, and at least I’ll have an idea as to what to do in neutral.

Come on man, you know what I'm about.

Real talk tho, I always mess with all characters on training mode just to get a feel of what they do. (and because I need basic skills to beat Arcade Mode for dat plot)

48 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Grapplers don't bother me. I don't get the hate. If a dude has to get right next to me to do damage and I let him get right next to me. I deserve the L

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Come on man, you know what I'm about.

Real talk tho, I always mess with all characters on training mode just to get a feel of what they do. (and because I need basic skills to beat Arcade Mode for dat plot)

Honestly, in that case, just play whoever you want in +R or Rev2.

Don’t limit yourself to the Strive combo system or any of that shit. If you can do big combos in +R, you’ll do them in Strive. If you restrict your possibilities, you may have a harder time come Strive. Also, it seems like you have more options off RCs in Strive, so improving your execution is just a good thing.

also, I can tell you, if I’d limit my combos in Rev2 to Strive gattlings, I wouldn’t be able to do Millia’s gameplan, such as run up 2K, 2H xx air combo

also, the combo system isn’t that bad. Instead of doing f.S, 5H xx 214K~H in neutral (which is something I do in Rev2), I did f.S, 5H xx 214P in Strive. Just different buttons... Same shit basically.

you’re also going to enjoy +R/Rev2 a lot more if you actually play the thing to its highest potential, or at least strive to.

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Grapplers in general tend to get people heated. 

I’ve noticed this trend where people hate fighting anything that isn’t generic rushdown and it’s really fucking annoying because devs are catering to these people by weakening other styles 

When was the last time we saw a truly top tier grappler or zoner?

9 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Android 16 was one of the single best characters on DBFZ during release. And then they nerfed him to the trash so that isn’t really a good example but it’s the best one I can think of.

I was going to add on “that wasn’t immediately nerfed” to my question for this exact reason lol. They always get clapped immediately. The only character I know of that still fits the bill is Cetrion in MK11, and she’s top tier because she has better offensive options than half the cast on top of the best zoning in the game. 

58 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’ve noticed this trend where people hate fighting anything that isn’t generic rushdown and it’s really fucking annoying because devs are catering to these people by weakening other styles 

For Zoner Ferry was and still is Top Tier in GBVS

Maybe an odd decision but Waldstein/Tager is a Top Tier Team in BBTag, Team Big Boys, double Giant Grappler.

Other than that ASW Games tend to have Top Tier Zoner in the first Version of their games.

Remember Nu in BBCT? Or as she was Top Tier in BBCSEX or in BBTag 1.0, guess when the next BB comes out she will be Top Tier again to spread the Salt of the Murakumo.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I agree with you.  I've never minded fighting Abigail in SFV or Sim, Poison, Guile, Menat but I find people are constantly complaining about them.  

Also, zoners and grapplers are really fun to watch in tournament play especially when they go up against one another.

Edited by HeavensCloud

Man, i am having flashbacks from when people were asking to nerf Tager on BBCT, despite him being the most trash tier char on that game.

Grapplers are the bane of scrubs.

And unlike some people think.

Scrub mentality doesn't have anything to do with how good or bad you are on a game, we have seen in the past, a lot of top tournament players making some stupid scrub remarks.

Imagine how those fuckers complaining now would complain about AC Potemkin, who was top tier and wasnt a gimped version of him.

8 minutes ago, Volt said:

Playing against grapplers is the most fun I have in FGs.

Scrubs don't like anything that builds character like grappling, zoning, training mode or blocking on wakeup.

Learning Combos, learning to block, learning to bait, learning to tech throws, learning to AA, learning when not to jump, learning to warry blockstring, learning to walk, learning to dash, learning to press buttons, learning to punsih, learning not to DP, learning to throw plasma, learning to dodge plasma, learning to join Team Plasma and lastly learning to hold you ass down for more than 5frames.

These are also things every scrub doesn't like.

On another subject.

I was playing against a friend of my nephew on DBFZ.

Shiiiiiiiiiieeeeeet, that made me feel old as fuck, the kid reacted to shit in a way that almost felt uncanny for my old ass almost 40 boomer ass 🤣

I still remember when i could do that shit.

Now i have to predict based on player habits, and since it was the 1st time playing against him, i was having a hard time, lol.

The only reason why it were close matches was because the kid still doesnt take advantage of the tools of the team with the assists and the busted shit it can do with them, while i was capitalizing on the opportunities i had.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

Abigail

Ok full disclosure I absolutely hated fighting Abi when he dropped because of how stupid his (lack of) hurtboxes were. Dude was throwing out almost half screen range crush counters yet whiff punishing him was Russian roulette because the hurtboxes were no where near what you’d expect looking at the model. 

2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

ArcSys is on NGPX right now. They stated they are looking to put Rollback into future games of theirs and they are looking into of doing a second Open Beta because of the delay.

If only they also put it on past games.

But i guess that would depend of their contractors, Namco and Cygames.

DBFZ is less likely, since is likely on its way out, to be phased for a possible new game in the future.

But GBFVS is still on a window where it would benefit from Cygames investing on upgrading the netcode.

It would be easier to port the rollback into it than other games, since it shares the engine, and its interactions are simpler when compared to SF Strive.

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

ArcSys is on NGPX right now. They stated they are looking to put Rollback into future games of theirs and they are looking into of doing a second Open Beta because of the delay.

I don’t know if I’d want another beta tbh... I’m worried there will be more issues found (as it will come out before the game is done) and then they may feel pressured to delay it again... I feel like that would really botch the launch.

Tbh, I didn’t hate the lobby that much. I just hated how we all teleported around, the lack of rematch options, the connection glitches, and the lack of private rooms.

realistically, I’m mostly playing against you guys or quick ranked matches as I sit in training mode anyway. Giving us a private room with spectating is all I really need.

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t know if I’d want another beta tbh... I’m worried there will be more issues found (as it will come out before the game is done) and then they may feel pressured to delay it again... I feel like that would really botch the launch.

Surely the launch would be even more botched if they launched anyway while keeping big problems unfixed?

Personally I’m not too bothered by the delay, but I also feel like companies should stop giving release dates so early unless they’re already done and shipping out copies.

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Surely the launch would be even more botched if they launched anyway while keeping big problems unfixed?

Personally I’m not too bothered by the delay, but I also feel like companies should stop giving release dates so early unless they’re already done and shipping out copies.

Yeah, I definitely thought of that, but I think they know what direction to head in now and what needs to be fixed (*), so just do it. Putting out a beta like a month or so before launch, when (possibly) they haven’t been able to address everything, even if they’re on schedule to, will kill the hype, so what, then they delay it again for cry babies on Twitter?

(*) at least I hope they know what needs to be fixed lol

12 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Plural you doofus. 

I am talking about BBTAG, DBFZ, XRD, GBFVS, BBCF, etc. 

And in a more impossible longshot, BattleFantasia, 🤣

And right now that shit is only on pc, which is useless to most of the playerbase, since the majority are on consoles. 

Edit, not to mention that in order to make GGPO work, they made an implementation that makes the game run like shit on hardware that shouldnt be having problems running a game like AC+R 😶

Edited by Hecatom
19 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

But i guess that would depend of their contractors, Namco and Cygames.

Yeah, I doubt there will be any updates to Fighterz and Granblue since it falls to those two. Fighterz still see a bunch of players in spite of it along with Namco not really giving a shit about netcode and I have no idea what Cygames may think of it.  It just seems like it could be a thing going forward for Arc only games at this point.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Imagine how those fuckers complaining now would complain about AC Potemkin, who was top tier and wasnt a gimped version of him.

God I loveddddddddd AC Potempkin. The vacuum 2S, the Heat Knuckle that left the opponent right in front of him instead of blasting then fullscreen, FRC Potbuster... 

Another reason why Accent Core was the gawd game 

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

And right now that shit is only on pc, which is useless to most of the playerbase, since the majority are on consoles. 

Ah that old myth.

That is coming up all the time and there is no factual prove that this is even remotly true.

In fact the graphs shown during the lattest FGCDRT suggests rather that the majority of the players are on PC, what is not surprising.

What is even more ironic since everyone who plays AC+R is on PC now and even before most likely was anyway.

Tekken 7 has the vast majority of it's playerbase on PC.

Melty is PC only, what shouldn't surprise anyone.

Heck people rather run games nowadays with Parsec and such stuff over PC.

And the current chance of Rollback for CF will also be PC exclusive, since the Community is working on a Melty Style Rollback Upgrade.

But I guess I have the great priviledge of living in the EU, where we have sane people who use PCs. Consoles are for dirt eating peasants.

38 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t know if I’d want another beta tbh

I've a friend in Vancouver who didn't get to try the beta - told him about our seemingly lagless experience and now he's interested, but that's a hell of a distance more. I'm pretty confident, though he says he'd prefer to test before buying, so for selfish reasons, yeah, I want another beta

14 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Ah that old myth.

That is coming up all the time and there is no factual prove that this is even remotly true.

You have to be fucking blind to not see the actual truth.

Just look at the sales numbers of any fighting game, and do the math based on the sales on steam and you can see it.

Is a fact, that you get butthurt about it is another subject.

25 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Yeah, I doubt there will be any updates to Fighterz and Granblue since it falls to those two. Fighterz still see a bunch of players in spite of it along with Namco not really giving a shit about netcode and I have no idea what Cygames may think of it.  It just seems like it could be a thing going forward for Arc only games at this point.

I think that it wouldn't be only for Arc games, because the way they phrased it now and in the past, implies that it would be for any future project they are involved.

Which is good news for DnF The Duel.

I doubt that ASW will halfass a project just because is not fully their own.

And with the current trend, it is more likely to benefit a game to have rollback, specially after the success that was the beta in that regard.

If ASW has their name attached for more fgs that are successful is better for them, because their portfolio is a combination of both their own ips and games developed for others.

We have seen that in each gen they have at least 2 games that are licensed/external contracts and 2 of their own.

And well, it is beneficial to have the same quality across the board for all of them.

Tangent.

I wonder if western devs will be interested n having ASW involved on a fg on their ip.

I can see a OW fg being popular enough, specially now that Riot is doing their on FG, and most of their moves seem to be oriented to position themselves over more esports niches.

12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

You have to be fucking blind to not see the actual truth.

Just look at the sales numbers of any fighting game, and do the math based on the sales on steam and you can see it.

Is a fact, that you get butthurt about it is another subject.

Nah sorry, I know I'm correct.

I have the areas in my calculation, as a EU boy PC is always the best option to go for for any sort of game.

Asia is actually slowly migrating over what is a fantastic thing to see.

Mainly Murica is limping behind, heck even South America is switching over.

But you can be an angry boomer, it's fine, I would also rather yell at the clouds to go away, if it makes me help sleep at night.

AC+R on PC with that Rollback is fantastic btw. it is a great choice of you to not play it and rather have the wishfull thinking that it comes to PS4/Switch for you and your imagenary superior playerbase.