Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

39 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I've been playing a lot of classic beat 'em ups lately. Having lots of fun.

But yo, the NES ones are so friggin hard. I can see why I failed to complete most of these games when I was younger. It was always much easier on Genesis/SNES because those games felt more like the Arcade versions they were based on. The NES ones really kicked my ass so bad. TMNT 2 Arcade Game and TMNT 3 Manhattan Projects in particular. TMNT 4 Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist were much easier. All fun as hell, tho.

Double Dragon 1  (NES)  feels impossible after awhile. 2 was much easier. We don't speak on the NES version of 3.

Regardless, it's been a blast. 

They jacked up the difficulty in US because of game rentals. IIRC game rentals weren't legal in Japan. That's why our 8 bit games were so hard. They didn't make 16 bit games easier. They just gave use the same difficulty level they had all along. If you play the Japanese versions of those games you'd be surprised how much easier they are. Bayou Billy kicked my ass. The Japanese version was a cake walk. It is part of the reason I found the fact that our Final Fantasy 4 (FF2 at the time) was a localization of the easy version. Square never played Battletoads or TMNT1 on NES.

Is it just me, or is part of the reason those games were awesome were because of the difficulty? I loved Battletoads, but I don’t know if I would’ve played it as much if I could have beat it in a few hours on my first try.

edit: then again, I also replayed MK1 and 2’s arcade modes constantly for like 3 years so perhaps that didn’t matter too much 

Edited by Mattatsu
10 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They jacked up the difficulty in US because of game rentals. IIRC game rentals weren't legal in Japan. That's why our 8 bit games were so hard. They didn't make 16 bit games easier. They just gave use the same difficulty level they had all along. If you play the Japanese versions of those games you'd be surprised how much easier they are. Bayou Billy kicked my ass. The Japanese version was a cake walk. It is part of the reason I found the fact that our Final Fantasy 4 (FF2 at the time) was a localization of the easy version. Square never played Battletoads or TMNT1 on NES.

Reminds me what they did for Streets of Rage 3. The American version upped the difficulty with the USA ‘Easy’  setting actually being the Normal difficulty of Japanese version. To make it worse, you don’t even get the ending if you play on Easy on the USA version and it cuts out the last two stages. So you have you to play on hard if you want to go through the full game.

Speaking of which, did anyone else play Batman, Spider-Man and TMNT games on the Gameboy? I loved those things! Fun fact, the first game I ever played was 1991's Sonic the Hedgehog (and all my accounts have 1991 as my birth year as a result) but the first game I ever owned on the first console I ever owned was Teen Titans on the Gameboy.

2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I've been playing a lot of classic beat 'em ups lately. Having lots of fun.

But yo, the NES ones are so friggin hard. I can see why I failed to complete most of these games when I was younger. It was always much easier on Genesis/SNES because those games felt more like the Arcade versions they were based on. The NES ones really kicked my ass so bad. TMNT 2 Arcade Game and TMNT 3 Manhattan Projects in particular. TMNT 4 Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist were much easier. All fun as hell, tho.

Double Dragon 1  (NES)  feels impossible after awhile. 2 was much easier. We don't speak on the NES version of 3.

Regardless, it's been a blast. 

Double Dragon 3 on NES can suck a dick. I was always so excited to play that game due to the different chars but despite renting it and replaying it a ton I never beat it. The game was so unforgiving that at least for me I'd either have a really good run and get pretty far in the game (rare) or everyone dies in the first couple of stages and game over (much more common).

Going back to beat 'em ups is always a good time. One of the things that I always find really interesting is the shift you start to see around the 16-bit era where the mechanics get more sophisticated and they basically turn into lite 1/2 vs many fighting games. AvP is still my favorite beat 'em up ever not just due to the property or the art (peak Capgod) but because of how much fun that game is to play mechanically. 

I think that is the thing that beat 'em ups do that no other genre quite touches. When they work right, they're games you can fire up and just roll through waves of dudes, feeling like a badass. SoR4 did a great job at realizing that.

My tinfoil hat theory is that the reason +R got this out of the blue is because they already had the idea for Strive and maybe used +R as a prototyping exercise. Regardless, very cool feature to get in any game.

Considering that modern replays seem to be mostly just saved strings of inputs, its probably something most games could implement given the time and resources (which is always the hard part).

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

My tinfoil hat theory is that the reason +R got this out of the blue is because they already had the idea for Strive and maybe used +R as a prototyping exercise. Regardless, very cool feature to get in any game.

Considering that modern replays seem to be mostly just saved strings of inputs, its probably something most games could implement given the time and resources (which is always the hard part).

You know, i think that it is an interesting coincidence that this feature got added now that MikeZ has been involved at some capacity with AC+R

Back when he was developing SG (way before its release), this was one of the features that he wanted to implement on the game.

The idea as we was explaining it to me was to use your replies from when you were playing online and select a scenario where you were struggling in the match to repeat it and practice against it.

I don't know why he didn't implement it on SG in the end, At least not from what i know since, i stopped playing the game quite a while ago, so i dunno if it was added eventually.

Is also something that Zinac (the person behind the netcode) was doing for his game (RIP, we never got you)

6 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

But yo, the NES ones are so friggin hard. I can see why I failed to complete most of these games when I was younger.

Yeah like Final Fantasy one in nes was terribly hard that it was like the random event is predetermined even I cheat it with save and load state of the emulator.

Its like my fate is sealed lol

Never experienced owning a RPG games being when I was a kid. So I played them back when i was a teen.

I have the coolest plumber. My brother plays in the living room, which is the first thing you see when you enter our home. When he saw him, the dude turned to me and goes, "I'm more of a Street Fighter player..."

Now I'm playing SF with my plumber in a week. Either I am getting groomed or I'm about to own the middle class.

Edited by Dayaan
13 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Better stay ready for the next *checks calendar* two years or so!

Also, I have a feeling SF6 got pushed back after the strive beta. They saw that netcode and started sweating 

Lol I said new game not new Street Fighter. I plan on hopping on Strive, but I also wouldn’t mind a good non-FG rn either 

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Whatcha into, homie?

I jumped back into MHW and it's a delight. 

Nah fuck that game 

Idk I been thinking about getting back to Apex but there is no cross progression and I don’t like playing multiplayer shooters on PC anyway. 

Really I just need to try DOOM finally.

Edit: wouldn’t mind a good RPG either 

Edited by Vhozite
8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Nah fuck that game 

Oh yeah, i think you said something about not liking it in the "unpopular opinions" thread. To each their own!

9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

and I don’t like playing multiplayer shooters on PC anyway. 

Why not? 

12 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Why not? 

Idk I’ve always found playing shooters with KBM less satisfying despite the fact that it’s way more precise. I can’t put my finger on why but it feels less fun somehow. I could always play with a controller anyway but sometimes I wonder if that would put me at too big a disadvantage. 

I might try it again and see how I feel. Been a while since I tried it.

51 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Idk I’ve always found playing shooters with KBM less satisfying despite the fact that it’s way more precise. I can’t put my finger on why but it feels less fun somehow. I could always play with a controller anyway but sometimes I wonder if that would put me at too big a disadvantage. 

I don't judge different preference but I can't even fathom the idea of liking a controller over mouse and keyboard when it comes to FPS games.

But then again, I play SFV / other FG on a keyboard despite having several good gamepads. I just prefer it that way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Skort
54 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

FWIW, Doom is pretty good with a controller, since it requires less accuracy (who needs to be accurate with a BFG?), and is more movement focussed and you can typically run in circles and blast everything in front of you.

I also like the left analog stick for movement.

the only downfall of controller IMO is not having access to weapon hot keys, which is somewhat important for Doom (especially Doom Eternal), but it can still be beaten on UN by just using the “Last Weapon” feature to quick swap combo between two guns if you set it up right.

also, regarding Doom games on the controller, the default button configurations and sensitivity settings are ass. You definitely need to adjust them. I’ll post my settings later if I remember.

Edited by Mattatsu
12 minutes ago, Skort said:

I don't judge different preference but I can't even fathom the idea of liking a controller over mouse and keyboard when it comes to FPS games.

For me it doesn’t feel like gaming without a controller. Like playing games with KBM I feel like I’m writing a paper in Microsoft word instead of playing a game. 

I don’t know why I feel that way. It’s just preference ig. The only game I play on PC KBM is strategy games like Civ or Supreme Commander. 

8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

For me it doesn’t feel like gaming without a controller. Like playing games with KBM I feel like I’m writing a paper in Microsoft word instead of playing a game

I'm sort of in the same boat. A lot of the time, my hands get lost on MKB. 

I know that I'd just have to spend time to get used to it, like I did with stick. I don't have that issue anymore, but a year and a half ago when I started playing stick, my hand would always shift and I'd end up hitting the wrong buttons lol 

9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

For me it doesn’t feel like gaming without a controller. Like playing games with KBM I feel like I’m writing a paper in Microsoft word instead of playing a game. 

I don’t know why I feel that way. It’s just preference ig. The only game I play on PC KBM is strategy games like Civ or Supreme Commander. 

That makes sense. I realized the other day that part of the reason why I prefer console gaming is that computers now remind me of work related stress and after sitting behind a PC for 8+ hours a day, hating my life, that it’s nice to sit in front of my big screen TV in my living room and boot up a console to unwind, as opposed to going back to my office.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Really I just need to try DOOM finally.

Was literally just about to suggest this.

37 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

the only downfall of controller IMO is not having access to weapon hot keys, which is somewhat important for Doom (especially Doom Eternal), but it can still be beaten on UN by just using the “Last Weapon” feature to quick swap combo between two guns if you set it up right.

Ancient Gods II update will bring quickswapping to console reportedly.

@VhoziteYou better pick up DOOM and play it!

Hey so did the Cannon Bros forget about SRK or what? The site's been on read-only mode for like two weeks now, essentially killing the place since there's no activity or posting going on

Also somebody should check if all the old posts are still available there, I have a suspicion the "upgrade" is removal of some of the wild shit MrWiz and co. have posted back in the day there

9 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Ancient Gods II update will bring quickswapping to console reportedly.

I’m not too optimistic this is going to work... from what I understand, the solution is to shorten the amount of time needed to hold the weapon wheel button to bring it up, but you also quick-tap that button to swap to your last weapon, which is how combos are possible on controller.

If they shorten it too much, then while you’re attempting the combos, the weapon wheel is more likely to pop up, which will F up your combo.

im sure they thought of this though, but I can’t imagine what else they can do besides allowing KB+M support.