Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

I'll be upfront about wanting Ariel to look like cartoon Ariel. But you know, when you're from outside the US, what you get is what you get without necessarily understanding  a lot of the internal turmoil going in here. So we have an attachment to what was shipped over in the manner it was.

Once I listened to some Chloe X Halle music, I def had a turn around about her casting. Watching the preview...think a rando facebook comment was right in that they needed to make her hair a brighter. 

There's a certain issue some of these live action remakes have in that they're stuck between how to translate things into a real world territory. Trying to balance making things look "realistic" or go into a direction that's too cartoony.  First thing they had to problem solve was Ariel's hair. In the original movie, just the way they drew the hair is kind of amazing. There's a lot of flow and movement to it. That didn't show off as well. Movie Ariel also doesn't have her bang. This isn't Halle's fault at all. But its going to get blamed on her being black even though there were many hours of pre-production that went into that decision.

When you look at this scene, the only real way you have to tell that she's underwater are the lightning in the background a few bubbles and honestly the way her hair flows. Ariel's hair is doing a lot of the work to make you get the feeling of being underwater. Obviously Jodi Benson killed it with the singing too. We'll see how it goes with the whole arrangement for the new movie too. They already did some stuff that I'm not sure I like.  Hopefully it doesn't go into weird Cats territory where they moved some arrangements in places that weren't complimentary to the singer. Andrew Lloyd Weber is obviously GOATed but the movie version of Memory wasn't great. Here I'm hoping that Alan Menken doesn't fal lint othe same trap that Andrew Lloyd Weber did in trying to make the arrangement fit the vocal styling of the singer.

Still gonna take my daughter to watch it in theaters though.

😤

Just to  throw this out there...Disney also announced Tiana which isn't a movie but a TV series aaaand...basing it purely on the one piece of art it looks like they're trying to do 2D?

I mean just looking at this gives me old Disney vibes in the way how the lighting and how the "3D" the background looks but we're gonna need to see it in motion.  For all we know this could just be another notch in that 3D looking 2D projects that they've been messing around with for the past few years.

Also my wife is a HUGE Little Mermaid fan so I'm going to be watching her reaction when we inevitably go see it in theater but I'm pretty much in agreement on the gap that they need to make between their 2D and 3D animation of they're going to be doing this...it's one of the reasons I said what I said about Lion King.    I still haven't seen Jungle Book yet...probably need to check into that probably in the next few weeks and that Pinocchio remake they just put up on D+.

27 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

My beef with race swapped characters. Is that it's the laziest form of inclusion and diversity. Make a new IP with a new character that is black, Asian, Latino etc. With a story and challenges unique to his or her race and or culture? 

Ain't nobody got time fo dat! Just take a popular well known brand. And put a black person on the front and call it a day. 

Oh yeah, the funny thing is that there's several non-white characters out there that aren't getting spotlight on the big screen or in a series since these companies want to do the lazy thing and "palette-swap" the white characters. (*also because it instantly gets people talking)  The characters just sit there in comics and older animated shows, just left in the past--- the awesomely OP Blue Marvel, there's my girl Vixen (though she did appear in that "Legends of Tomorrow" show some years ago), and for a black Kryptonian there's already this dude I only recently heard about named Val-Zod... there's the John Stewart Green Lantern(who would actually be the more popular/relevant version of GL at this point due to the JLU show), Static, and Bishop from the X-men's future storylines.  

That CW show Black Lightning was a bit frustrating to me---I enjoyed it somewhat but the costume design....it just looked so cheap and silly....and also funny that people wouldn't recognize who he is since most of his face is exposed.

...that's one of those things about superheroes that grinds my gears there--- people would know it's you if your outfit leaves have or more of your face visible.  Every time they have to write in some special technique or "effect" of the powers that explains away why people don't recognize this person. 

Black Lightning in real life...

Friend/Co-worker: "...Jeff?  Is that you...?  YOU'RE Black Lightning!"

BL: "...dammit.. people keep recognizing me..."

Edited by MillionX
25 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

My beef with race swapped characters. Is that it's the laziest form of inclusion and diversity. Make a new IP with a new character that is black, Asian, Latino etc. With a story and challenges unique to his or her race and or culture? 

Ain't nobody got time fo dat! Just take a popular well known brand. And put a black person on the front and call it a day. 

I agree with you most of the time but Herr it doesn't matter. It's an "inaccurate" adaptation of an already inacurate adaptation.  They changed so much about the story from the book when making the movie that changing her race is just another change on the mountain of changes they already made. 

It's pointless to have an issue with black Ariel for this movie. It's really different from them making Superman Black instead of making an Icon movie. 

Edited by RSG3
30 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Just to  throw this out there...Disney also announced Tiana which isn't a movie but a TV series aaaand...basing it purely on the one piece of art it looks like they're trying to do 2D?

I mean just looking at this gives me old Disney vibes in the way how the lighting and how the "3D" the background looks but we're gonna need to see it in motion.  For all we know this could just be another notch in that 3D looking 2D projects that they've been messing around with for the past few years.

My daughter's favorite Disney Princess is Tiana so we will check that out.  IMO The Princess and the Frog is actually one of the best recent Disney films and is really slept on.  She's a better Princess than 99% of the Disney roster, her and Cinderella are top tier. 

8 minutes ago, J-ride said:

My daughter's favorite Disney Princess is Tiana so we will check that out.  IMO The Princess and the Frog is actually one of the best recent Disney films and is really slept on.  She's a better Princess than 99% of the Disney roster, her and Cinderella are top tier. 

In terms of circumstances, personality  and what they've done to get to where they are, I can't disagree.  I'd probaby put Moana up there with those 2 with Belle behind them.

25 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Belle behind them.

I can’t get behind belle. She’s kind of a piece of shit. The very  first song in the movie is her making fun of everyone in her village doing what they need to do to survive the day to day. Including her father. 

Yet,  while they all bust their ass all she does is read young adult literature while thinking she’s better for “wanting more”. But what happens? She ends up being stockholmed by a piece of shit murderous furry that was justifiably cursed. 

so much for being smarter and better than everyone you stuck up bitch. 

Edited by iStu X
4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I can’t get behind belle. The first song in the movie is her making fun of everyone for doing what they need to do to survive while all she does is read young adult literature and thinking she’s better for “wanting more” only to be stockholmed by a piece of shit. 

Well...to be fair the townsfolk were also shitting on her for being different.  I didn't say she was a paragon which is why I put her behind those 3...she def has faults but I don't think her faults are worse than the others who are left and in the end she put herself in the position she was in the save her dad.  I can't say that about Snow, I can't say that about Aurora, I can't say that about Merida, and I def can't say that about Ariel since she only sacrifices herself once shit got to a point that she had no choice and everything up to that point was essentially her own doing.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...to be fair the townsfolk were also shitting on her for being different.  I didn't say she was a paragon which is why I put her behind those 3...she def has faults but I don't think her faults are worse than the others who are left and in the end she put herself in the position she was in the save her dad.

Without or without her dad being captive as soon as she saw that library she was going to become a furry. 

Also, how was she different? Cause she Read YA novels? I’d clown on her for that too. Have you read that garbage? Especially the romance ones? Fuck Belle. 

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Also, how was she different? Cause she Read YA novels? I’d clown on her for that too. Have you read that garbage? Especially the romance ones? Fuck Belle. 

Belle is literally an asshole at the beginning of the movie. The whole beginning of her song is her shitting on the town because townspeople have...jobs:

Little town, it's a quiet village
Every day like the one before
Little town, full of little people
Waking up to say

Bonjour! Bonjour!
Bonjour! Bonjour! Bonjour!

There goes the baker with his tray like always
The same old bread and rolls to sell
Every morning just the same
Since the morning that we came
To this poor, provincial town

Good Morning, Belle!

How are you shitting on a baker? Man doesn't have time to read because he has to wake up at 1 in the morning to make all that. Kevin Samuels would've been dunking on this broad and her ridiculous ass expectations.

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Belle is literally an asshole at the beginning of the movie. The whole beginning of her song is her shitting on the town because townspeople have...jobs:

How are you shitting on a baker? Man doesn't have time to read because he has to wake up at 1 in the morning to make all that. Kevin Samuels would've been dunking on this broad and her ridiculous ass expectations.

EXACTLY. She’s a massive piece a shit. 

I’ll never understand what Gaston saw in her. He could get much better. He died for nothing and was the true hero of the story. 

Edited by iStu X

Disney talk time? Live action Disney films based on the original animated movies are a easy way to re cash in on a popular movie and beloved characters while "modernizing" the story to fit today's audience. 

The problem with that is many of the stories were great already, the animation is at times hard to translate into live action and at worst the new version loses the soul of what made the original so good. 

I admit I get emotional each time I watch that Lion King opening. It's to me perfect. The new GCI one? To me souless and maybe it's because I already grew an attachment to the OG maybe it's because I studied animation in college. Ariel has that effect on people. Being black Can change people's outlook on her. Ariel doesn't have to be white...but people have their attachments. 

Personally Ariel is still my least favorite princess so to me it's whatever at the endo of the day. 

2 hours ago, BB_Hoody said:

Don't forget about ginger character genocide. If I had the talent, I'd make a version of the old Oprah meme. Have her audience be nothing but gingers and have Oprah say "You get to be black." instead "You get a car."

The triplets got the biggest nerf in the live action; Lumiere's girlfriend is kind of a close second too:

dcrrmjx-4393ba99-6509-4bc9-8bdf-7805ae26

One thing live action BATB did do well was making fixing Gaston a bit. He doesn't come across as that bad at the beginning of the animated one. So they really went out of their way to show you he is a massive POS.  Luke Evans killed it as Gaston though; he was easily the best part of the live action.

4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Alright, think its been a few weeks since I posted the Flat Earth memes. Wasn't gonna post another but this post came in straight fire:

unknown.png

Globalsexuals. LMAO, Imagine trying to fuck on a round earth.

@misterBee you jerk off to balloons too?

They are like CinimaSins, they think asking a question is making a point when the answer to their questions exists. 

27 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

So New York has a polio outbreak. How the fuck does polio make a comeback in not only a developed first world nation. But one of the most important and developed cities in the world???

How? We know the answer. To pull a Bill Burr.

News Caster 1: "We have a polio outbreak in New York."

News Caster 2: "How does this happen?"

Darc Requiem: *yelling at the TV*  "Because dumbasses aren't getting vaccinated!"