Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

My trip to IKEA on Wednesday fizzled out. The Detolf cases I wanted to get are sold out at both stores I was deciding on. In fact they’re sold out at almost every physical store IKEA has. 

I tried several times onto order them in advanced but the site would either flat out no let me set up a future dated pick up time or the days it would let me schedule would be days I’m busy. So that was a dead end too. 

I can get them shipped but it’s $100 to ship them. On top of that they wouldn’t ship until almost June. Which is dumb. So I’m likely just going to buy some comics and call it good. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

California Teacher Caught on Zoom Blasting Parents Who Want In-Person Classes: I ‘Dare Them to Come At Me’

That woman's a twat, BUT...

I get where her frustration's coming from. Parents are assholes, and I highly doubt those same parents would try to tell a surgeon how to do their job. If there are things parents feel their kids need, they're the parents, and it's their responsibility to make up for what they think the school isn't providing. The school/state isn't supposed to be a surrogate for actual parenting.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

I get where her frustration's coming from. Parents are assholes, and I highly doubt those same parents would try to tell a surgeon how to do their job. If there are things parents feel their kids need, they're the parents, and it's their responsibility to make up for what they think the school isn't providing. The school/state isn't supposed to be a surrogate for actual parenting.

It's not just that, add in the fact covid help for teachers is shit, they aren't really covered. They are having trouble getting vaccinations and weren't automatically rolled in with the first or second wave. Some are older and way more at high risk and now you want them to teach kids who can barely wash their hands in general. 

22 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

That's really all that it is. People want to get back to the way thing were. This is honestly a chance for society to dial in how to handle homecare/schooling for children. However, that'll require change and we just don't do that well. 

27 minutes ago, Maxx said:

It's not just that, add in the fact covid help for teachers is shit, they aren't really covered. They are having trouble getting vaccinations and weren't automatically rolled in with the first or second wave. Some are older and way more at high risk and now you want them to teach kids who can barely wash their hands in general. 

I'm honest to god surprised that the unions didn't fight to get vaccines for all the teachers. There isn't really a substitute for in-class instruction though and the longer we try to act like home learning is the same thing, the worse it's going to be for the kids.

I have a teacher friend who was telling me that there are kids who are supposed to be logging in for Zoom classes and they haven't seen them in months. And those are probably the kids that need the schooling the most.

26 minutes ago, scorp said:

Being a teacher gotta be the worst career choice.

But gotta respect the dedication to go into such a thankless and stressful field.

I don't know how old you are, but it's changed a lot in the last 30-40 years. Once education started being a political battleground, and schools started having to keep up with more goofy "standards," that didn't really make sense, it really fucked a lot of things up, not just for the teachers, but for the students as well.

9 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

That's really all that it is. People want to get back to the way thing were. This is honestly a chance for society to dial in how to handle homecare/schooling for children. However, that'll require change and we just don't do that well. 

I don't think it's bad for people to want to get back to the way things were, especially people whose families need 2 incomes to survive. Childcare costs an outrageous amount of money and some people are working just to be able to afford that.

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm honest to god surprised that the unions didn't fight to get vaccines for all the teachers. There isn't really a substitute for in-class instruction though and the longer we try to act like home learning is the same thing, the worse it's going to be for the kids.

This, which is where your later point comes in. 

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't think it's bad for people to want to get back to the way things were, especially people whose families need 2 incomes to survive. Childcare costs an outrageous amount of money and some people are working just to be able to afford that.

I agree, the thing is though that people treat school as if it is daycare. There is an honest opportunity to patch the holes with this issue. Yet again, there isn't any dialogue, just pissing contests. 

5 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

40 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It was too optimistic to believe people being at home would make them realize what's important is to connect with your children and help them grow up into successful individuals. finding joy in teaching a child something and watching them grow, learn should be something all parents should be happy to do. Working at a theme park I have sadly seen many families that:

1) expect the public to take care of their children

-  I have seen parents leave a BABY in a stroller as the rest of the party go on a ride...

2) use their children as a tool to gain advantages over others

- such as when a child has a disability and try to use it to bypass ANYTHING

3) try to make me feel bad for something I wasn't at fault with but spin it like a parent wasn't at fault 

- "Now YOU made MY child cry"  or "Infernoman won't let us do X  because of Y"

I feel bad for kids who have low tier parents

2 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Not all low tier parents want to remain low tier. 

Your bolded statement of my post is meant to imply an opportunity. That includes a better position both for the parent and the organizations. Schools have a function, which is to educate. Across the board there are better ways for us to facilitate learning. 

I am not one for  using school as a handout. It's a resource. However it's a state mandated one that seems to not be as effective as it can be for all participants. 

3 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I agree, the thing is though that people treat school as if it is daycare. There is an honest opportunity to patch the holes with this issue. Yet again, there isn't any dialogue, just pissing contests. 

What would you change? Schools are places kids have to be during the hours parents work, so they aren't explicitly daycare centers, but they serve a similar purpose albeit accidentally.

7 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I agree. I wish more people would just be honest with themselves that maybe they don't want to take care of a kid or they just don't have it in them because in a lot of cases, people with shitty parents turn into shitty parents.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

What would you change? Schools are places kids have to be during the hours parents work, so they aren't explicitly daycare centers, but they serve a similar purpose albeit accidentally.

To be honest, I haven't thought about it enough. We're well aware that this is an issue. 

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

agree. I wish more people would just be honest with themselves that maybe they don't want to take care of a kid or they just don't have it in them because in a lot of cases, people with shitty parents turn into shitty parents.

I have a feeling this is what the concern is. If someone has to work outside of the home but has to also take care of their child is not a great place to be in. 

Teacher unions, school systems and parents could always collaborate to make it work. 

33 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

To be honest, I haven't thought about it enough. We're well aware that this is an issue. 

I have a feeling this is what the concern is. If someone has to work outside of the home but has to also take care of their child is not a great place to be in. 

Teacher unions, school systems and parents could always collaborate to make it work. 

The system we have was created when one parent was all that was necessary to work outside the home, and I don't think we're going back to those days anytime soon, although I think we'd be much better off if we could.

The collaboration problem that exists is the difference between what parents want/think is possible and what teachers/schools are able/willing to do. It used to be that it was enough for schools to just teach the kids and that was that, but now a whole lot else is expected of them in part because of politics and in part because parents have dropped the ball in a lot of ways.

Edited by DoctaMario
34 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

The system we have was created when one parent was all that was necessary to work outside the home, and I don't think we're going back to those days anytime soon, although I think we'd be much better off if we could.

The collaboration problem that exists is the difference between what parents want/think is possible and what teachers/schools are able/willing to do. It used to be that it was enough for schools to just teach the kids and that was that, but now a whole lot else is expected of them in part because of politics and in part because parents have dropped the ball in a lot of ways.

It isn't that parents have dropped the ball.

It is that the corporations have made wage slaves of BOTH parents, and have placed their role upon the schools.

If we are going to reasonably blame anyone, it is the corporate slave work environment and the politicians who are their whores.

11 minutes ago, JHDK said:

It is that the corporations have made wage slaves of BOTH parents, and have placed their role upon the schools.

If we are going to reasonably blame anyone, it is the corporate slave work environment and the politicians who are their whores.

I agree with you that that's a big part of the problem, but my sister used to have kids that would get to her 1st grade class and not know how to tie their shoes. That's not the fault of wage slave-ism, it's parents dropping the ball.

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, JHDK said:

If we are going to reasonably blame anyone, it is the corporate slave work environment and the politicians who are their whore

This is the point that I was going to get to. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I agree with you that that's a big part of the problem, but my sister used to have kids that would get to her 1st grade class and not know how to tie their shoes. That's not the fault of wage slave-ism, it's parents dropping the ball.

You're right as I agree that there is some neglect. Yet to @JHDKpoint, the time may just not be there based on corporate expectations in order to keep your livelihood going.  

Edited by OPTIMUS124

I didn’t learn how to tie my shoes until 3rd grade iirc. And it wasn’t because my parents dropped the ball. It was because I’m left handed. So for whatever reason my teachers kept trying to make me right handed. So I was constantly confused on how to do things. It messed up my hand eye coordination something fierce. 

Once I got into 3rd grade and my parents realized what my school was doing they had the school make me take motor skill classes to teach me how to be only left handed 

Edited by iStu X
28 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I didn’t learn how to tie my shoes until 3rd grade iirc. And it wasn’t because my parents dropped the ball. It was because I’m left handed. So for whatever reason my teachers kept trying to make me right handed. So I was constantly confused on how to do things. It messed up my hand eye coordination something fierce. 

Once I got into 3rd grade and my parents realized what my school was doing they had the school make me take motor skill classes to teach me how to be only left handed 

I would assert that nothing is more confusing than being a near-true~true ambidex, with a possible slight left favor, both parents left handed, no way to tell.

Especially when it causes you to step forward with the same foot as you are currently throwing with, because it seems more sensible

That, and the whole picking one hand for the glove thing.

12 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I would assert that nothing is more confusing than being a near-true~true ambidex, with a possible slight left favor, both parents left handed, no way to tell.

Especially when it causes you to step forward with the same foot as you are currently throwing with, because it seems more sensible

That, and the whole picking one hand for the glove thing.

In like...3 generations of my family I’ve been the only left handed person. 

maybe it explains why I’m such an atheist. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

In like...3 generations of my family I’ve been the only left handed person. 

maybe it explains why I’m such an atheist. 

Me and my brothers are all left handed. 

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

I am the only ambidex, I think.

I was till about 6. Then the left took over.

So, we had my wife's cousin staying here with us recently to get his proverbial shit together and get off of drugs. Then like 72 hours ago at like 8pm at night, he asked me to drive his ass two hours down towards fucking Beaumont to meet his girl and go home. Ended up cracking one of the rims on my car coming back from dropping his dumbass off because of his fucking ass, and trying to find a replacement has been a literal bitch so far.

5 hours ago, JHDK said:

FWIW my dad worked and still works every day, and he taught me how to swim, ride a bike, take a fall, play cricket, take a punch, shave, skate, grill, fish, climb mountains and more. 7 days a week he's working, and now he's doing his doctorate... At the age of 45... While supporting 3 houses on one paycheck. Because of him I learned how to ride a motorcycle at 7 and repair them at 12. 

That fucking guy is a hero, and I'm not even discussing what my mother has done for me.

Take care of the little pricks in your house so one day they make you rest well after an amazing childhood.

7 hours ago, Dayaan said:

FWIW my dad worked and still works every day, and he taught me how to swim, ride a bike, take a fall, play cricket, take a punch, shave, skate, grill, fish, climb mountains and more. 7 days a week he's working, and now he's doing his doctorate... At the age of 45... While supporting 3 houses on one paycheck. Because of him I learned how to ride a motorcycle at 7 and repair them at 12. 

That fucking guy is a hero, and I'm not even discussing what my mother has done for me.

Take care of the little pricks in your house so one day they make you rest well after an amazing childhood.

Where do you live?

What does he do for a living?

Because unless he is obscenely rich, there is absolutely no way he is managing even a fraction of that in the U.S.

There literally isn't enough time in the day, here, for that.

22 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

He's not working in the US, and we don't have money. That's all I'm saying.

If he can support 3 households, earn a doctorate by 45~46, and raise a child to the extent he has raised you, per your awesome description, on one paycheck then you're rich by just about any metric.

Edited by JHDK
3 hours ago, JHDK said:

Because unless he is obscenely rich, there is absolutely no way he is managing even a fraction of that in the U.S.

There are some corner cases in the US where that could come together, spots where land value is heavily depressed because of endemic poverty but a worker in certain knowledge fields might pull down what's still a pretty beefy paycheck for the area.  With an employer that's basically supporting getting the PhD because it's a value add to them.

I'm thinking like petrochem workers, and other industries that can still thrive even when the local economy around them is pretty fucked.

Made some really good scrambled eggs this morning. Outside of the basic salt and pepper seasoning I added 3 different cheeses, minced garlic, some heavy whipping cream and a pretty generous pinch of red chili flakes. Had it with some toast and coffee. 

I wish I could have had some protein on the side like sausage or bacon but alas, I didn’t have any on hand. Still a great breakfast and a good way to start a busy day. 

Edited by iStu X
29 minutes ago, Reticently said:

There are some corner cases in the US where that could come together, spots where land value is heavily depressed because of endemic poverty but a worker in certain knowledge fields might pull down what's still a pretty beefy paycheck for the area.  With an employer that's basically supporting getting the PhD because it's a value add to them.

I'm thinking like petrochem workers, and other industries that can still thrive even when the local economy around them is pretty fucked.

Corner cases lie outside of consideration.

They're literally statistical outliers.

And are thus discarded as such.

As they should be.

The topic at hand was the sorry state of the typical U.S. citizen's income, per the parameters of the current economy, bound by the predation of corporate overlords and their willing political whores, which topic precipitated from observations of the sad-as-all-fuck state of U.S. primary and secondary education, and how grossly under-educated children are, and the undo, if ultimately unavoidable by the parents due to the previously mentioned economic slavery, burden that places upon educational institutions and their employees.

Edited by JHDK
Autie-Korean
1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Said to be rare cases but I do remember sayin not to trust Johnson and Johnson products 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html

This is why I am still holding off.

I believe in vaccination.

Testify.

But I am leery about these Rush 'n Attack (NES version) vaccines.

Too much Cash Grab, double-dip for profit.

I'd trust the vetting a lot more if they weren't rushing them out to make a second profit.

3 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Said to be rare cases

Yeah, something like 0.0001% or something, but if they expect 10s of millions of people to get it, it ends up being a problem. 

But I'm in that Pfizer gang, baby. All the holistic crystal humping Q wackos tell me that that won't start killing us for about a year, so I got 12 months to dick around with 

17 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

This is the point that I was going to get to. 

You're right as I agree that there is some neglect. Yet to @JHDKpoint, the time may just not be there based on corporate expectations in order to keep your livelihood going.  

Who the fuck doesn't have 5 minutes a day for a week or so to sit down with their kid and teach some something like that? This is probably gonna sound judgemental but I don't care, if someone doesn't have that kind of time to sit down and teach their kid something that basic, maybe they should look at getting a different job or should have gotten a dog instead. This kind of excuse making is why there are so many dumb/fucked up kids out there, because their parents think they just learn everything themselves through osmosis or just aren't willing to take the time. And that's fucked up because their kids didn't ask to be born, but if they are born, it's absolutely a duty to care for and teach them even when you don't feel like it.

13 hours ago, Dayaan said:

This. Fuckin this. 👍

Edited by DoctaMario