Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

Blizz has been running its Con for way too long.

It’s honestly whatever to me. I’ve never liked or cared about blizzard really. The fact their parents company is activision makes me wanna support them even less. 

I loved the physical TCG of WoW before it became Hearthstone but that’s because I’m a cardboard junkie and want to learn all the games lol 

Edited by iStu X
8 hours ago, iStu X said:

I’d love another VF. I just need more Jacky. My man can handcuff lightning 

Yeah me too man. I'm actually hopeful. Ultimate Showdown isn't just some cheap port. They had the Yakuza team port the game to their newest engine (the Dragon Engine) and update the graphics. I was just expecting Final Showdown with 4K graphics and updated netcode. I was expecting a Remaster but it's actually a Remake.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Sega was ahead of its time in a lot of ways, unfortunately those ways all pretty much flopped.

Sega had/has shitty management. If Sega had average management, they'd still be making consoles today. At one point they were the best game developer in the world. If you were a fan of genre, Sega most likely had a quality title for it. How do you have that level of quality software and fail sell enough consoles to stay afloat? Especially with a dominant, at the time, presence in the arcades.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sega had/has shitty management. If Sega had average management, they'd still be making consoles today. At one point they were the best game developer in the world. If you were a fan of genre, Sega most likely had a quality title for it. How do you have that level of quality software and fail sell enough consoles to stay afloat? Especially with a dominant, at the time, presence in the arcades.

Yeah they're one of those companies that I always shake my head and wonder how they can do so many things right and yet fuck up so badly. 

50 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah they're one of those companies that I always shake my head and wonder how they can do so many things right and yet fuck up so badly. 

Under-promoting a non-competitively priced console after a dead on delivery extension, did not help.

It was too stupid for words.

Everyone was still on 2D, and the PS1 wasn't God's Gift to 3D.

All they had to do was actually advertise the damned thing, and MAYBE knock $100 off... maybe.

But in all honesty their brand name would probably have been enough to ensure that the Saturn got a large enough installed user-base, if they had made more than one commercial and actually aired it more than a handful of times for a couple of weeks.

Sega's failure to promote the Saturn was probably half of Sony's foot in the door.

Edited by JHDK

Been digging back into Mega Man 9 for the last few days. Inti Creates really nailed it with that one. Some of their modern retro titles might even top the best efforts of the actual 8 bit era. Their MM titles, CotM titles, Blaster Master- all stellar. It's a shame that Konami went stupid on that last Contra title even they could have had Inti (or way forward) do another legit take on the classic style.

3 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Under-promoting a non-competitively priced console after a dead on delivery extension, did not help.

It was too stupid for words.

Everyone was still on 2D, and the PS1 wasn't God's Gift to 3D.

All they had to do was actually advertise the damned thing, and MAYBE knock $100 off... maybe.

But in all honesty their brand name would probably have been enough to ensure that the Saturn got a large enough installed user-base, if they had made more than one commercial and actually aired it more than a handful of times for a couple of weeks.

Sega's failure to promote the Saturn was probably half of Sony's foot in the door.

I think they burned a lot of bridges with the 32x as well. 

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

English Dragon Quest anniversary stream starts in about 30. the first half is going to go over all the new DQ apps that have came out over the last few years. The second part will be actual new titles coming out .

Apparently the time difference between US and Japan airing is that the English stream is not showing any of the mobile stuff. Just new games. 

Holy shit the person doing the voice over translation for the DQ stream is so fucking god awful. She sounds like she doesn’t actually know Japanese. 

im thinking about just shutting this shit off and checking Twitter for announcements 

Edited by iStu X

Is it odd that possibly my new favorite gaming peripherals is called 

Glorious PC Gaming Race 

But Seriously I just ordered 3 boxes of Glorious Pandas from them. 

spacer.png

Why did the console gamer cross the road?
So the buildings can render on the other side 

This stream is so god damn awkward and out of the 3 games they’ve announced so far only one of them is coming stateside. 

As I’m watching it Looks like the DQIII remake is true though. So there’s that. It looks fucking gorgeous too. The square internal studio that developed  Octopath Traveler are making the remake. Simultaneous world wide release as well. 

they’re also talking about 1 and 2 are in the plans to also be remade in the same way. 

Edited by iStu X

A prequel(?) for DQ11 was just announced. It’s about Erik and Mia growing up with the vikings  and going on misadventures. It’s called DQ Treasures. It looks like a Dragon Quest Monsters style Ni No Kuni

they also just announced that they’re in the pre-production phases of making a new DQ Monsters title. 

DQXII is the last new title announced. It’s title is Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. They mention the story is going to be the darkest in the series and that there’s going to be different story branches you can take throughout the game. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, JHDK said:

Also:

@M A R T I A N

Yeah.

I maxed out the reporter, and got Gift of Gab.

I am also laying pipe to Piper.

+15% experience for a banging implication, is so very choice.

Me and Piper already retired to our skyloft above Concord, where we watch our slaves tow the land while sitting and reflecting on how much time we wasted playing fighting games with bad netcode.

I think she sticks around cause she’s impressed by my bobble head collection.

It ain’t much, but it’s honest livin’. 😬

Edited by M A R T I A N

i hope dragon quest xiii battle revamp is something like grandia or legia and we don't lose the last big budget turn based series to the action rpg menace.

and before anyone starts i'm just saying the only real difference between me mashing x in a action rpg and a turn based one is that i can't eat a bowl of cereal while doing one of those which makes it objectively worse.

17 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

i hope dragon quest xiii battle revamp is something like grandia or legia and we don't lose the last big budget turn based series to the action rpg menace.

and before anyone starts i'm just saying the only real difference between me mashing x in a action rpg and a turn based one is that i can't eat a bowl of cereal while doing one of those which makes it objectively worse.

DQ giving you the option is what makes it DQ.

95% of my time playing 11, all I did was hit X once at the start.

But that was my choice.

Also:

If DQ12 has anything locked behind utter horseshit like mandatory horse racing, then I simply won't bother picking it up.

I stopped playing DQ11 almost 2/3 of the way through it, because of that nonsense imposition upon my RPG time, and never went back.

If I wanted to play a shitty faux version of Mario Kart, I'd go mobile.

3 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Also:

If DQ12 has anything locked behind utter horseshit like mandatory horse racing, then I simply won't bother picking it up.

I stopped playing DQ11 almost 2/3 of the way through it, because of that nonsense imposition upon my RPG time, and never went back.

shit i do remember taking a while to do some horse racing bullshit! that's prob something i wouldn't remember till i did another playthrough kinda like whenever one of my favorite games has a sewer level i always block that shit out.

6 hours ago, JHDK said:

Also:

Why get so mad over something that takes about 10 minutes? Lol

most RPG’s have dumb mandatory shit you have to do. This just comes across as you were looking for a reason to not play. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Why get so mad over something that takes about 10 minutes? Lol

most RPG’s have dumb mandatory shit you have to do. This just comes across as you were looking for a reason to not play. 

Nah, my man... nah.

I love, and I do mean I fuckin' LOVE, the Dragon Quest series.

Dragon Quest is in my too 3 JRPGs of all time.

If you cleared all of those races in anything even remotely resembling a mere 10 minutes, then you had RNGesus, that other "soft Z" Zeus, and a hack/editor on your side.

They are bullshit. They are un-fun, and they are antithetical to everything I have come to love the DQ series for.

They literally made the game not worth finishing, for me. Which is a shame. Because it is mechanically the most engaging entry in the series.

33 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Some good news for Sonic fans. Sonic 3 & Knuckles will be widescreen in the upcoming collection.

Ok that's great....is this just a gonna be another port or is there gonna be something else special with it.  Is Taxman involved?  Would be great if he was.