Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

@SonichumanThat Busted Bayou slaps. One of my favorite tracks in Tropical Freeze.

My VGM Friday contribution is from a guy I follow on YouTube. I've posted some of his stuff over on SRK before, too, but this might be the best thing he's done (he did this without any synthesizer effects!). Apparently he'll be doing a few more Metroid tracks in the coming months. He's got a massive library of covers, a lot of Castlevania and other retro games. But he's never done Metroid before so I'm pretty stoked on this one.

Music starts 30 seconds in. (I don't know how to timestamp videos)

Edited by Chadouken
On 3/17/2021 at 9:25 AM, KingTubb said:

The topic of best Zelda came up a few days ago, so I started playing ALttP again. 

This game is so very very good. 

The one thing I'd say as a criticism, which really isn't much of one, is I wish that it came out later in the SNES's cycle, cause the music can come off as a little flat sometimes. I mean, the music itself is amazing, but I feel like it wasn't optimized to its hardware as much as it could of been. 

In comparison, when Super Metroid, Earthbound, and DKC dropped, I feel like they figured out how to squeeze as much as they could outta the SNES when it comes to the OST. 

I will say, that SFX in ALttP are pretty stellar, so that part of the sound design is great. 

ALttP IS Best Zelda.

Piggybacking off of my last post, I also have comment on the sad state of the FG community.

New fags ACTUALLY BELIEVE that "streamlining" characters, and getting rid of "superfluous moves" like Millia's Pin, is a GOOD thing, and actually making the gameplay more robust.

Y'know. The Pin.

The move that defined Millia as a character.

The move that was the centerpiece of her gameplan.

The constant threat that forced her opponents to approach her differently.

That useless, extraneous thing.

The Wardens are such a cool enemy design, man...definitely my favorite of the new era of Gears

https://gearsofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Warden

Oddly enough, they are quite dangerous when out in the field with other major enemies....but still easily taken care of by "Infiltrator" or "Demo" class in Horde... or the other top picks of course, like Veteran (easy headshot ultimate) and that class that has the Silverback as an ultimate.... Demo has probably the easiest time against that and anything else, really... since that demolition ultimate is so strong it's basically an instant "delete"/"I win" button

...but yeah, if they made a figure of this enemy and I saw it in a store one day---it's SO bought (helmeted version preferred; in regular vs. modes that's also an option, to have the character with the helmet/mask or not).  I love the design.

Kingdoms of Amalur---my old buddy from college has gone all in on this game so he's been updating me on his adventures occasionally....always good to hear others finally dig into the greatness there.  He still isn't at the halfway mark yet though.  I still have at least 2 or 3 characters on this new version that I need to continue.  My evil character (a "dokkalfar") should be moving up in the Warsworn faction soon.... the big moment where I get to betray them should be delicious.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

On one hand, after the fiasco that was Marvel's Avengers, i think that not other company will try to do all the wrong things that game did.

But on the other one, 2K games and Take 2, fucks most of the stuff they touch, so while curious, i have my reserves about those news 😕

Yeah this is like seeing a buddy try to break up with a crazy person in public. Either it works out fine and they walk away with their dignity or it is disaster worthy of song.

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This has me hype af

I kinda hope they go the route Ubisoft went with Mario + Rabbids: pick up and play style but has a surprising amount of depth. 

M+R is probably my favorite XCOM clone 

Edited by iStu X

I just got this Switch grip and case combo for my birthday yesterday, and it's fucking legit:

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/best-sellers/products/zengrip-pro-elite

satisfye_zengrip-pro-elite-bundle_02_204

Comes with the case (with a good amount of storage space) the grip, some thumb stick grip pads, and some other accessories. Pretty decent value for $36, which is the sale price right now. Normally it's $60. It's comfortable and makes playing portable a hell of a lot better for me and my big ass hands.

Looking at the images thats pretty cut and dry. 

Man fuck being able to sue someone for a photo of a door you dont even own tho, or some broken window you happen to see lmao. I mean whatever, not my money but thats some silly shit imo haha. 

41 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Man fuck being able to sue someone for a photo of a door you dont even own tho, or some broken window you happen to see lmao. I mean whatever, not my money but thats some silly shit imo haha. 

I'm kind of weird on this myself but photography is considered art...I'm just wondering where the line is on this.  Like if some person took a throwaway HD picture of some grass and put it up and then a VG dev takes that and uses it for a texture...does that give that person the right to try to sue for it just because the dev didn't go outside to take an HD picture of grass themself?

52 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Lest we be remiss, the REAL artist is the person whose design is upon the door.

That the photographer would demand recompense for photographing someone else's inarguably genuine art, is mad shady.

Edited by JHDK
Recompense is a word, Korea. Just because y'all don't DO obedience to copyright...
2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm kind of weird on this myself but photography is considered art...I'm just wondering where the line is on this.  Like if some person took a throwaway HD picture of some grass and put it up and then a VG dev takes that and uses it for a texture...does that give that person the right to try to sue for it just because the dev didn't go outside to take an HD picture of grass themself?

Where it gets weird forme is thinking about like...if I take a picture of the Mona Lisa I apparently have ownership of a photo of someone else's hard work that I can then use to make money on? 

Like one of her examples is the door decoration. Like did they steal her photo or did they steal the door design? Does she really deserve credit and pay for taking a picture of someone else's work and then selling that picture of their work?

Taking the perfect landscape picture or picture of people in a moment is hard as he'll and worth being credited for, but to be perfectly honest with you, in this particular case imo, Capcom stole a door design and a broken window. How much ownership do you really have someone else's stuff, their door and their window? Does she owe royalties to the owner of the door and the window she took a picture of? She didn't make the door, she didn't break the window, she just took a picture. What about the artist or artists family who made the door? Any residuals from her when she makes money on their door? It's all so very weird to me as far as law is concerned. 

3 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Lest we be remiss, the REAL artist is the person whose design is upon the door.

That the photographer would demand recompense for photographing someone else's inargusbly genuine art, is mad shady.

This is kind where I am at mentally on this. She took a picture of someone else's art, I don't really understand how you can claim ownership of someone else's (in a different form) art because you own a camera. 

How Capcom used the photography is a slippery slope, as stated under the fair use of copyright law for photgraphy:

When considering whether a reproduction of a work is fair use, the U.S. Copyright Act says “the factors to be consider shall include whether:

1. The use is of commercial nature or if it is for nonprofit education purposes
  2. The copyrighted work is highly creative or if it is fact-based
  3. Part of the entire original work was reproduced or just a part of it
  4. The reproduction reduces the value of the original work or has no effect

https://www.ppa.com/articles/copyright-law-your-rights-as-a-photographer

Assuming Capcom had a hodge-podge collection of references, it would not be out of the question that Capcom had references similar to the photographer. A few years ago I worked on packaging for markers and I took photos of every tiled surface I can find. It would not surprise me if other photography exists of the same surfaces, whether it was for advertising or artistic purposes. An example is the "unique" door in the article, but that is assuming this door wasn't manufactured, a woodworker did not make dozens or hundreds of doors with the same design, or another person provided their own photo.

Edited by Jurassic
22 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

For conversations sake, what would you classify photography as? Like a photo for the sake of a pretty photo. 

It sounds like the artist had multiple purposes for the copyrighted book and CD. Not just to create a portfolio of art, but to also sell it as clipart for a side hustle. Clipart books were big back in the 1990's  (I have an ancient clipart book with CDs in my office that I still use for design). For this conversation, it is pretty photos for art and sale, such as taking a picture of a sunset and selling it for a postcard, advertisement etc.

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Sometimes I'll find photos of my buddies on Facebook and use them to Photoshop their faces on two dudes fucking and shit like that. Would that be considered fair use?

1. The use is of commercial nature or if it is for nonprofit education purposes
  2. The copyrighted work is highly creative or if it is fact-based
  3. Part of the entire original work was reproduced or just a part of it
  4. The reproduction reduces the value of the original work or has no effect

Take your pick, any answer would be a great punchline for a joke.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

For conversations sake, what would you classify photography as? Like a photo for the sake of a pretty photo. 

A tool to be utilized for various ends.

In the given scenario, a memento, assuming the photo was taken to preserve the pretty scene in said photo.

This sorta reminds me whenever I upload a FF VI playthrough video it ALWAYS gets a copyright claim for the boss theme (The Decisive Battle) but it's not from Square Enix or anything similar, but just from some random nobody. And it's just for THAT theme in particular, which is kinda weird.

3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

probably from a bot as it similar to another theme, artists took other artist to court over a 4 note beat being the same before

Which is positively lame.

If that shit were even remotely reasonable, then The 1975 would have been decimated (23d-ed?) by Jimmy Eat World for their debut banger, Sex, maybe a third of Dawes's catalogue would be null and void, and the industry would be bereft of one of its better producers in Butch Walker, for his charming little ironically dubbed Synthesizers coming all up on Eileen.

Edited by JHDK
Fought Kollean Autie Collect, and still lost... ironically on "shit".

Outriders----sheeeeeitttt, had a hell of a game session yesterday through to this morning with a couple of friends...still not quite at 15 though.  My Pyro's powerlevel continues to increase... at this point, 6 figures is a regular thing for sure... there was 1 enemy I hit for 714k damage last night.  I have equipped "Moaning Winds" (reload causes a blast of wind that hits for huge damage) mod on both my main guns....so I can swap between those to hit with the winds twice....and at level 49, that mod hits for 314k something.  Oh yeah, I intend to get as much mileage as I can out of that before they inevitably nerf that craziness. 🤣

Upgrading stuff costs so much at this point... the last item I took from 48 to 49 costed 300-something titanium + 12,000 drop resources.

There's 1...maybe 2 enemies that at this point I'd say *probably* need to be toned down.... the giant fiery "doggies" that slam the ground and gallop around...those are completely ridiculous, man... they are seemingly faster than you when they want to be, and the ground slam has such a huge area of effect, you CAN'T get away from it...I don't think it's possible, actually...unless you were already far away in the first place, or *maybe* if you're a Trickster that can teleport away using 1 of the 2 teleport abilities..and even that's a "maybe".  The other one is Brood Mother....these 2 are way worse than even the alpha perforos and the crawler things that shoot a beam from their mouths.  Of the 2...I'd say the giant dog creatures are the worst.  I don't like the concept of nerfing shit in a game...but this may be the first major enemy in a game where I thought "ok now that enemy is just unreasonable."  I think their blue aura allows them to be resistant to crowd-control  effects too....so things like immobilizing/slow shots or trickster slow time eventually mean nothing.

Edited by MillionX
On 6/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Chadouken said:

I just got this Switch grip and case combo for my birthday yesterday, and it's fucking legit.

We've tried to tell you this for quite sometime though, Chad. The only reason I stopped using mine is that I have the Split pads now that I use in handheld mode.

I don't know if yall played the Gunvolt games but Copen is so overpowered, even in his own solo game. I might need to crank up the difficulty, he makes the games (especially Gunvolt 2) way too easy 😂

EDIT: Spoke too soon, one of the end bosses almost killed me. Barely won lol

Edited by HD-Man
On 6/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Chadouken said:

I just got this Switch grip and case combo for my birthday yesterday, and it's fucking legit:

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/best-sellers/products/zengrip-pro-elite

satisfye_zengrip-pro-elite-bundle_02_204

Comes with the case (with a good amount of storage space) the grip, some thumb stick grip pads, and some other accessories. Pretty decent value for $36, which is the sale price right now. Normally it's $60. It's comfortable and makes playing portable a hell of a lot better for me and my big ass hands.

I got something like this when I got my switch. Ce with a great case, a grip, headphones, screen protector, slip cover to keep all the stuff in the pockets from going everywhere, etc. Thing is really awesome and the grip really does make playing handheld a lot easier/more comfortable. 

43 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I got something like this when I got my switch. Ce with a great case, a grip, headphones, screen protector, slip cover to keep all the stuff in the pockets from going everywhere, etc. Thing is really awesome and the grip really does make playing handheld a lot easier/more comfortable. 

It's a great case, but I tossed out the Grip. I use the case as it's one of the few cases that fits with the Hori Split Pad Pro. 
I also have a Mini Dock inside the case.