Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Just finished River City Girls with my friend. If anyone has been reading the Nintendo Switch thread (which I doubt. 😢) I just plugged in almost 160 hours on Xenoblade chronicles definitive. 

I really needed a “cool down” type game to play in order to just relax and have fun. RCG was definitely it. I didn’t get the true ending because I don’t know how to unlock it. If anyone wants to share how with the class I’m down to clown. 

we may end up getting the true ending tonight, I’m not sure. I also wanna run through the game as the boys. 

25 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Just finished River City Girls with my friend. If anyone has been reading the Nintendo Switch thread (which I doubt. 😢) I just plugged in almost 160 hours on Xenoblade chronicles definitive. 

I really needed a “cool down” type game to play in order to just relax and have fun. RCG was definitely it. I didn’t get the true ending because I don’t know how to unlock it. If anyone wants to share how with the class I’m down to clown. 

we may end up getting the true ending tonight, I’m not sure. I also wanna run through the game as the boys. 

after 160 hours of xenoblade id prob be hearing melia in my sleep.

14 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

after 160 hours of xenoblade id prob be hearing melia in my sleep.

Naw. I next to never used her. My main team was Shulk/Riki/Dunban and later Shulk/Riki/Fiora 

Melia a cutie though. The outfit I gave her is a really cute dress bikini thing 

Edited by iStu X
51 minutes ago, iStu X said:

You need to break all the Sabu statues to get the true ending. After the fight with Sabuko you should fight the secret boss immediately afterward.

Personally I liked the original secret ending more.

19 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Naw. I next to never used her. My main team was Shulk/Riki/Dunban and later Shulk/Riki/Fiora 

Melia a cutie though. The outfit I gave her is a really cute dress bikini thing 

my first successful attempt at playing the game i used that exact same team. naked dunban carried the team for a while.

Edited by nickmanx5
37 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Personally I liked the original secret ending more.

we just beat it again to get the secret ending. 

I have No idea what the original secret ending was though. 

29 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

my first successful attempt at playing the game i used that exact same team. naked dunban carried the team for a while.

I never used any of Dunban’s Monk Skills. Given how important gems are it just seemed like a really bad build. 

Edited by iStu X
8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I never used any of Dunban’s Monk Skills. Given how important gems are it just seemed like a really bad build. 

naked dunban is good for a while and then its really bad.

i think somewhere in mechonis is where it became useless for me 

Edited by nickmanx5
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Spoiler

The girls find Rikki and Kunio in a bath house and the boys avoid them as they are not their girlfriends. It's revealed the girls are delusional stalkers. 

The fans of the game didn't like this ending so WayForward changed it so the duo looks less bad. 

13 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The fans of the game didn't like this ending so WayForward changed it so the duo looks less bad. 

That original ending was fucking hilarious. The girls spent the whole game being short tempered morons. I laughed my balls off, but the "true" ending is a nice change and does make the girls look...a little better lol. 

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Hide contents

The girls find Rikki and Kunio in a bath house and the boys avoid them as they are not their girlfriends. It's revealed the girls are delusional stalkers. 

So... not even Wokeness could completely ruin the original creator's vision?

Thank God(s) for Japan giving zero fucks about all the cancerous things that the West shouldn't.

👍

30 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Reveal hidden contents

That sounds wonderful. I’m sad they changed it lol

I have yet to play River City Girls.

I loved the aesthetics.

...on my NES.

But I kind of loathe the girls only aspect.

Same as Arcana Hearts, really.

I hate the whole theme of "girls only", and have zero interest in playing any game pushing it.

I main Cherry and Blaze in Streets of Rage 4.

But that's a choice.

47 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

help everyone i don't know if i wanna play chipp or pot!

but what i do know is im switching to pc as soon as i can cause this duel sense is fucking up my hands again.

The PS5 won't let you use your O.G. PS4 era stick?

Bummer.

And the answer is always F.A.B.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It should. My PS4 stick works on PS5 just fine. 

I absolutely fuckin' LOVE my PS4 Qanba.

I might just slightly prefer it over any Hori stick that I have ever owned.

And I've had a few.

...it's still a tough balancing act of my game time between Gears 5 and Outriders at the moment....I played a bit with my Devastator character a little while ago, but I just hate going back to weak, underdeveloped characters at this point... a power-leveling method in this game would be nice....he's up to 18 now.

Gears-- with Infiltrator now maxed out at level 20 (got a nice gnasher weapon skin for that), I went back to playing Jack today....swapped out the "optimizer" card for "Backstab"...the card that gives me more "Hijack" time for each enemy killed while it's going on.  I figure that Optimizer isn't that necessary on lower difficulties, really....there's so much excess power you get anyway if the team is taking care to protect the energy taps each wave.  Anyway, I look forward to unlocking that card for level....20 I think...it lets Jack do bleed damage with any attacks while in a hijacked enemy....anytime you can get bleed damage going on in this game, that's huge.

3 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I absolutely fuckin' LOVE my PS4 Qanba.

I might just slightly prefer it over any Hori stick that I have ever owned.

And I've had a few.

Same here, I gave away my PS4 Hori after I got my Qanba. I still have a Hori 360/PC stick and a Hori XB1/PC stick. I like them but I prefer the Qanba. The only thing I don't like about the Obsidian is the small option button. I like how Hori sticks have a regular sized Option/Start button off to the the right of the face buttons.

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

I loved the aesthetics.

...on my NES.

I hate the whole theme of "girls only", and have zero interest in playing any game pushing it.

But that's a choice.

Kunio and Riki are unlockable after you beat the game

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

I loved the aesthetics.

...on my NES.

But that's a choice.

Its not girls only. Kunio and Riki are unlockable. 

And RCG was made by WayForward, like the idea was fever in house and shopped out to Technos. 

Unless I'm just not getting the joke I guess. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Its not girls only. Kunio and Riki are unlockable. 

And RCG was made by WayForward, like the idea was fever in house and shopped out to Technos. 

Unless I'm just not getting the joke I guess. 

I hope they get to make another entry. It was a fantastic game for the Kunio franchise.

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I want a sequel to Double Dragon Neon with all the kinks of the 1st ironed out (or just build a new game with the RCG engine, that'd be better honestly). 

I want one in the Streets of Rage 4 engine, but noticeably more muted yet nuanced in its combo craziness.

I loved the concept of Neon - basically RC DD, but I hated that the whole game was built around the dodge mechanic.

I want impactful hit stun, dammit.

Even the original arcade game had that.

Edited by JHDK
I wrote impactful, and I meant it Korea. Your Wisdom Teeth giving you grief, ain't taking a turn on me, frankly.
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Twitch getting really retarded when it comes to music

Cover versions of songs could still land you a takedown. That is some stupid shit.

Still blows my mind that the RIAA or someone from the music industry can't come up with a deal to monetize stuff with a blanket payment, assuming Twitch would make the deal for the good of its userbase. Old ass people still running things 😑🔫

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Still blows my mind that the RIAA or someone from the music industry can't come up with a deal to monetize stuff with a blanket payment, assuming Twitch would make the deal for the good of its userbase. Old ass people still running things 😑🔫

It is old ass folk who only got rich cause of one or two things they have deep knowledge of and then leave power to their dumb ass kids, younger siblings/family or 'proteges' who are basically only slightly less ignorant because old ass folk rarely trust people that don't do or think exactly like they do.

sheeeeeittttt, I didn't even know (or forgot?) this was today... YongYea and some other youtubers are covering this live, of course:

HELL YEAH!  They just showed the vampire battle royale game... it's called BLOOD HUNT.  I spotted some Lasombra-clan shadow powers in there on at least 2 occasions in the trailer...  the visuals looked good, it's 3rd person... there's all the powers....BRUH

excitement GIF

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Wellman said:

It is old ass folk who only got rich cause of one or two things they have deep knowledge of and then leave power to their dumb ass kids, younger siblings/family or 'proteges' who are basically only slightly less ignorant because old ass folk rarely trust people that don't do or think exactly like they do.

At this point, a lot of the people running things got the jobs because they made their bones when the industry was still the way it was in the 90s and earlier, but it's 2021 now, nobody buys albums anymore but there's still money to be made. It's just that a lot of a lot of it is in non-traditional places, so these folks don't understand how getting big yearly payment from Amazon so that people can use whatever the fuck music they want on Twitch could be advantageous if they made the right deal.

Ninja Edit: Apparently Twitch has been in talks with the major labels going back to the end of last year, so this could potentially be resolved if the labels aren't dicks about it.

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/20/11/12/008218/twitch-says-its-in-talks-to-license-music-tells-users-to-delete-videos-with-unauthorized-tracks

Spoiler

In a lengthy blog post, Twitch told streamers that they must stop playing recorded music on their streams (unless it's officially licensed) and that "if you haven't already, you should review your historical VODs and Clips that may have music in them and delete any archives that might." Variety reports: The Amazon-owned live-streaming platform also claimed that it is "actively speaking with the major record labels about potential approaches to additional licenses that would be appropriate for the Twitch service." However, the company also said that the "current constructs for licenses" that record labels have with other services (which typically take a cut of revenue from creators for payment to record labels) "make less sense for Twitch." "We're open-minded to new structures that could work for Twitch's unique service, but we must be clear that they may take some time to materialize or may never happen at all," the company said in the blog.

Twitch's music-copyright communique comes after several major U.S. music organizations -- including the RIAA, the Recording Academy, the National Music Publishers Association, the Music Managers Forum, the American Association of Independent Music and SAG-AFTRA -- sent a letter last month to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos (copying Twitch CEO Emmet Shear). The letter, among other things, accused Twitch of "allowing and enabling its streamers to use our respective members' music without authorization, in violation of Twitch's music guidelines." Twitch said it was caught off guard by the music industry's crackdown on unlicensed music on its service. According to the company, starting this May, reps for music companies began sending thousands of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) copyright-takedown notices targeted at users' archived content, "mostly for snippets of tracks in years-old clips." Before then, Twitch said, it received fewer than 50 music-related DMCA notifications per year.

Twitch said it analyzed DMCA notifications received from the end of May through mid-October and found that more than 99% of them were for tracks that streamers were playing in the background of their stream. Twitch apologized to creators for the angst the DMCA takedowns have caused, noting that a warning email it sent to many last month about the videos deleted from their accounts "didn't include all the information that you'd typically get in a DMCA notification." "We could have developed more sophisticated, user-friendly tools a while ago. That we didn't is on us," it said. "And we could have provided creators with a longer time period to address their VOD and Clip libraries -- that was a miss as well. We're truly sorry for these mistakes, and we'll do better."

Edited by DoctaMario

Blood Hunt--- ah, so watching that trailer a few more times... besides the apparent Abyss shadow power shenanigans typical of the Lasombra clan vamps...it looked like "Second Inquisition" guys were showing up there in the SWAT style gear, so in addition to other vampires, there's that threat in the mix too.  I'm already loving that there's the mixture of supernatural powers + regular firearms and bladed weapons in play here.  There's also the character customization they made sure to show a glimpse of towards the end.  Mannnn, right when this started today, I was hoping for either Bloodlines 2 updates or at least the battle royale game, and here we are.

It's a shame that since this is a battle royale....*and* it's the modern era of game design....that more than likely means it will be online-only, of course....I'm not sure there's ever been a battle royale game that wasn't online-only, actually.

One of the many reasons I hate that, and I've probably mentioned it before----it hinges the game's continued existence to its popularity and success.  If such a game turns out to be a flop, then it's always just a matter of time before the companies involved shut the servers down, and just like that, the game dies.  When something is capable of offline-play, then obviously it no longer matters if you are literally the only person in the world that bought and enjoys the shit...you can continue playing despite it being a commercial failure.