Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

JRPG with battle system mixing real-time with turn based

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

SacriFire is an upcoming RPG, inspired by the 90s titles that began our love affair with gaming.

Key Features

• Dynamic Battles – Our combat engine merges real-time and turn-based styles to provide a fluid experience that is both challenging and satisfying. Fight alongside companions, choose from multiple weapons, target individual enemy body parts, and string attacks together to create elaborate combos.
  • High-Quality Presentation – Employing both pixel art and 3D graphics allows us to combine retro-style graphics with innovative digital effects wizardry. Hand-drawn and animated characters blend seamlessly with 3D-modeled environments.
  • Moral ComplexitySacriFire‘s original story aims to both respect and subvert the standard RPG tropes, so although you’ll feel right at home with our cast of lovable characters, you’ll never know what to expect next!
  • A Tale of Two Worlds – Travel between the sprawling subterranean city of Antioch and the idyllic spirit paradise of Erebus in a well-developed game universe which includes elements of both fantasy and science-fiction.
  • Elaborate Gameplay Systems – Adopt diverse combat disciplines, craft weapons, solve puzzles and tackle imaginative dungeons.
  • Original Music and Professional Voice Acting – A brand new soundtrack composed by G4F and the legendary Motoi Sakuraba. The talented Sound Cadence Studios bring SacriFire‘s memorable cast to life!

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I never played Bully.  It got ported to Vita recently so I'll finally try it out.  I wasnt interested in it when it first came out.  But my tastes have changed and all that jazz and I'm down to try anything now.  It looks cool too.

There's a reason they included so many homages to it in all those AAA games.

It's a long beloved Rockstar game that's become a cult classic!!

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's one of the many games I wish Rockstar made a sequel for.

A good majority of gamers from multiple generations wishes that played and watched playthroughs of Bully wish for this!!

Damn, now I might do a new playthrough on PC.

River City Girls coming to PS5

Currently available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.

River-City-Girls-PS5-Ann_06-14-21-600x33

River City Girls 2 announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Here is an overview of the game, via WayForward:

Picking up shortly after the original, River City Girls 2 once again put players in control of Misako and Kyoko—as well as Kunio, Riki, and other characters—as they set out on an all-new beat-’em-up adventure across the mean streets of River City. New moves, new enemies, new recruits, new environments, and the return of an old foe await, along with the same over-the-top sense of humor and adrenaline-pumping combat of its predecessor. The game will also feature two-player co-op action both locally and online.

River-City-Girls-2_06-14-21_002-600x338.

River-City-Girls-2_06-14-21_001-600x338.

River City Girls Zero announced for Switch, additional platforms

Due out in late 2021.

River-City-Girls-Zero_06-14-21_001-600x3

Shantae 1 to 5 coming to PS5, Shantae 1 coming to PS4

Free upgrades for existing owners on PlayStation 4.

Shantae-PS5_06-14-21-600x338.jpg

BloodRayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

A remaster of the 2011-relesaed 2D hack 'n slash platformer. @Skort

BloodRayne_06-14-21.jpg

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

A Remastered 2D Hack ‘n Slash Adventure

Original developer WayForward has upgraded its 2011 classic 2D hack ‘n slash platformer with high resolution visuals, modern features, and all-new voice acting performed by original BloodRayne cast members Laura Bailey (Rayne) and Troy Baker (Kagan). Bloodrayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites distills the best parts of the BloodRayne series into a bloody, twitchy, action-packed 2D hack ‘n slash adventure through fifteen challenging stages.

The Brimstone Society has summoned Rayne for one last mission to lead a group of soldiers into a giant underground castle to do battle against none other than her own father, Kagan. When the soldiers prove ineffective against Kagan’s supernatural menaces, it’s up to Rayne to run, jump, cut, and feed her way through gruesome foes, deadly traps, tricky platforming sections, and horrifying bosses. It’s Rayne’s last job—will she “clean house” or find herself six feet under?

Key Features

• All-New A-List Voice Acting – Original BloodRayne cast members Laura Bailey and Troy Baker reprise their roles as Rayne and Kagan, alongside other talented voice actors who bring new life to the original written dialog.
  • Sharpened visuals, squashed bugs, and support for higher display resolutions (up to 4K) help make Fresh Bites the definitive Bloodrayne Betrayal experience.
  • New Difficulty Options – Play with a newly rebalanced difficulty tuned for a fun and engaging experience, or sink your teeth into the punishing original difficulty mode if you’re looking for a tough-as-nails challenge.

Edited by AriesWarlock
26 minutes ago, iStu X said:

My main issue with River City Girls was it’s hit detection was often times absolute garbage. 

You've pretty well and precisely hit upon why I don't buy Kunio games anymore.

I absolutely adored RCR... but that was because it was a 2P RPG Best 'em Up... on the NES, that I could play with my little brother.

The 3DS one only served to illustrate that whilst the graphics might be smoother, the gameplay has not advanced at all, and has aged badly.

Those hitboxes are pure garbage.

Scott Pilgrim was lesser than NES RCR too. Imo.

I AM mad hype for the new TMNT game.

Until then, I've SoR4, and trying to get S clears with everyone.

15 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Hard disagree, 3 is a great story. It's greatly paced, has well defined characters with understood motivations, has a few plot twists to keep you engaged and a solid theme about family and the importance of growing up & cleaning up ones messes. 

Its a great little story. These characters and the events that happen to them resonate with fans for a reason. 

Silent Hill 2, Bloodborne, and Vampyr have great stories. DMC3 has a decent one and I'll admit that I enjoyed it and for what it is, it's well done, but it's not in the same league as the others I mentioned imo. They aren't the same type of game and I don't expect a series like DMC to have stories like that, but if we're talking story by itself, then I can't agree that dmc3's story is great. Compared to other games in the series and its genre, yes, it's probably one of, if not the best. 

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Dark Souls and Bloodborne seem more like really fucked up choose your own adventure books 

They are really vague so you can fill in the blanks with your own ideas based on the evidence you find through lore and world building. It's really cool and really fun but not exactly a narrative in the traditional sense. 

Whoah, somehow this sneaked past me until just now when AngryJoe Show mentioned it briefly...

https://bethesda.net/en/game/redfall

well, quite a relief that bethesda isn't actually developing it, of course....only publishing... so the game will more than likely work properly. 

"The quaint island town of Redfall, Massachusetts, is under siege by a legion of vampires who have blocked out the sun and cut the island off from the outside world. Trapped with a handful of survivors against diabolical enemies threatening to bleed the town dry, choose your hero from a diverse roster, grouping up with others to create the perfect team of vampire slayers."

...I like that some of the playable characters also have supernatural powers.  I probably wouldn't be as interested if they were all just some boring ol' "regular human" vampire hunters.

edit---OUTRIDERS--

so I made it to the very end of a Tier 14 expedition solo a few hours ago, but of course I was nowhere near the time limit for a gold rank...but I died in that last area anyway.  The new FASER beam build is absolutely insane... but of course...this comes at the cost of not having the Phoenix resurrection from the bottom skill tree.  Y'know, I think it would be fair if expeditions in solo play allowed 1 self-revive.  It would *still* be such a hard challenge that the vast majority of players still won't make it to tier 15, or even close if they're playing exclusively solo....the game seems generally balanced around group play anyway, in terms of the endgame.  Anyway, I don't even see how it's possible to make it to 15 purely solo at all.  At this point I have all level 49 items, some insane new power via the FASER/middle tree build, and I'm still not really close to being able to do tier 14 on a gold rank (*apparently you have to clear it with gold rank to get into t15...so once it dips into "Silver" on your time rating....that's already a wash.)

...also, I checked my anomaly power after casting that ash skill to see exactly what it is due to how the "Hot Situation" node (damage bonus activates when casting an Immobilize skill) on from the top tree works... it jumped up to 173k; I was thinking it may have been 180-something but perhaps my math was off.

Edited by MillionX
6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, not gonna let you tell me Bloodborne has a good story while dumping on DMC3s when Bloodborne barely has one and the majority of it is based heavily on speculation. 

It's not based on speculation. You get a large portion of the story by what happens in game,  listening to NPCs, and reading item descriptions. There's speculation around the edges, like deeper dives on Cainhurst or what happened to the groups of people in the chalice dungeon areas, but beyond that, the story isn't speculation at all.  They don't beat you over the head with it but it's an amazing story especially compared to dmc3's, but again, they're completely different types of games, and no one should expect DMC to have a story like Bloodborne. If you don't have the patience for it that's fine, but that doesn't make Bloodborne's story bad/non-existent and dmc3's story "great."

Edited by DoctaMario
21 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It's not based on speculation. You get a large portion of the story by what happens in game,  listening to NPCs, and reading item descriptions. There's speculation around the edges, like deeper dives on Cainhurst or what happened to the groups of people in the chalice dungeon areas, but beyond that, the story isn't speculation at all.  They don't beat you over the head with it but it's an amazing story especially compared to dmc3's, but again, they're completely different types of games, and no one should expect DMC to have a story like Bloodborne. If you don't have the patience for it that's fine, but that doesn't make Bloodborne's story bad/non-existent and dmc3's story "great."

Yup.

Dark Souls levels of bullscatulation (tm) it ain't.

A buddy of mine asked me if I was liking GG Strive and said it's "reviewing really well"

I told him that there aren't any video game journalists that actually play fighting games, so any review is a waste of time to read.

It is good tho... 

But it got me thinking, video game reviews in general are kind of stupid. Outside of telling me if it works and the general mechanics of the game there's nothing that you can really "grade" about a video game. 

That's why I like Yahtzee and polygon's method, where they never give their reviews a score. 

I typically agree with yatzee,  but there ain't a single reviewer on staff at polygon that I trust on the other hand.

And Yahtzee makes me feel like an incredibly cranky and cynical dude, which I'm not always chasing to be lol 

Edited by KingTubb
1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

A buddy of mine asked me if I was liking GG Strive and said it's "reviewing really well"

I told him that there aren't any video game journalists that actually play fighting games, so any review is a waste of time to read.

It is good tho... 

But it got me thinking, video game reviews in general are kind of stupid. Outside of telling me if it works and the general mechanics of the game there's nothing that you can really "grade" about a video game. 

That's why I like Yahtzee and polygon's method, where they never give their reviews a score. 

I typically agree with yatzee, there ain't a single reviewer on staff at polygon that I trust on the other hand.

The old EGM/GamePro reviews were decent, they'd tell you if the game was janky or really well done and give you some background on it. There were games I either bought or steered clear of based on those reviews back in the day, but nowadays, a good chunk of the reviews I've read seem like press releases written by the publisher. 

Yhatzee is really good though, some of those videos had me crying I was laughing so hard. I can't say any other reviewer ever made me do that other than this one reviewer in a guitar magazine who equated listening to an album he was reviewing to not being able to resist a quick sniff when your finger slips through the toilet paper into the netherrealm 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

The old EGM/GamePro reviews were decent, they'd tell you if the game was janky or really well done and give you some background on it.

I agree, I was really into EGM growing up. They let you know if the game as polished, which imho is one of the only objective metric you can grade a game by. 

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

but nowadays, a good chunk of the reviews I've read seem like press releases written by the publisher. 

Or it's 400 words of a scene or a character that the reviewer didn't like because of XYZ message it conveys or political agenda it consciously or unconsciously supports. 

There was a review that was mostly about how MHW was a "colonialist fantasy" and whether a vegetarian would be ethically compromised if they played it. FOH  

21 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I agree, I was really into EGM growing up. They let you know if the game as polished, which imho is one of the only objective metric you can grade a game by. 

Or it's 400 words of a scene or a character that the reviewer didn't like because of XYZ message it conveys or political agenda it consciously or unconsciously supports. 

There was a review that was mostly about how MHW was a "colonialist fantasy" and whether a vegetarian would be ethically compromised if they played it. FOH  

Jesus, really? I guess the problem with having English/journalism majors writing stuff like this and like music reviews is that they focus on the things they know best, hence you'll get an album or song review that's all about the lyrics and barely mentions the music. 

How is MHW a "colonialist fantasy?" Whoever wrote that should kill themselves. 😂

Edit: I just read it. Stuff like that is why the "everything is political whether it is or not" is a cancerous mentality that needs to be burned away. 

Edited by DoctaMario
5 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

How is MHW a "colonialist fantasy?"

It wasn't too much of a stretch, honestly, but it was a stupid one. 

Old world hunters invade and colonize the new world while clashing with the old world residents, the grimalkynes. 

So essentially, the hunters are Spain, the new world is Mexico, and the grimalkynes are Mayans. 

Like I said, it wasn't like they had to bend over backwards to draw the lines, but it's fucking stupid regardless. 

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It wasn't too much of a stretch, honestly, but it was a stupid one. 

Old world hunters invade and colonize the new world while clashing with the old world residents, the grimalkynes. 

So essentially, the hunters are Spain, the new world is Mexico, and the grimalkynes are Mayans. 

Like I said, it wasn't like they had to bend over backwards to draw the lines, but it's fucking stupid regardless. 

I hate that even fictional worlds aren't free of that sort of thinking either. 

I wonder if they ever revealed who Sushi-X was from EGM? I heard it was a mantle that was passed on to several reviewers....

Anyhow, yeah, I don't usually trust regular game outlets' reviews on fighting games, because they usually just limit themselves to offline modes and not in-game mechanics.

18 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

A remaster of the 2011-relesaed 2D hack 'n slash platformer. @Skort

While this is a good news i would welcome a new game entirely within the franchise. Bring Rayne in the modern gaming era. She is too cool to be left out in the dust. 

Having BL 1 & 2 terminal cut + this upcoming remastered one is good news though,that the franchise is not dead. 

So….a new Metroid game and it looks like a spiritual sequel to Fusion basically. It looks real fucking good too. Color me shocked.😶

Sucks that Prime 4 still seems so far away, but goddamn Dread looks sick. It’s just nice to see Nintendo still gives a fuck about the IP period. 

Wario Ware, Fatal Frame, SMT5 and BOTW2 all look rad as fuck too. I think it’s safe to say Nintendo won this E3  lol

Adding my Tekken main to Smash is pretty awesome too actually. They keep managing to surprise me with these characters man.

Harada just posted this on Twitter lmao 

23EFBE49-98DC-45FA-BEC6-75D7E36F52DD.thumb.jpeg.3309abec1d2c0cb8f9243542f86197a1.jpeg

14 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Probably explains the changes in the armor. The Fusion suit seems always incomplete to me without the actual armor panels. 

Well that’s cause it is incomplete. They have to surgically remove lots of Samus’ Power suit at the beginning of the game to save her from the parasite. The blue left on her design in Fusion is literally the parts of the parasite they couldn’t remove.