Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

44 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

DmC isn't a shit game, it's quite serviceable, it just not good as a DMC game. Swap the name and it would've done decently. I've played far worse action games 

I think people just go full retard when a reboot is announced, forget what the word "reboot" actually means, and think everything established up to that point will disappear completely. They did the same when Lords Of Shadow was announced to be Castlevania.

The combat in DmC was fun, the characterizations were pretty spot on if not over the top in places (DmC is probably the best characterization of Vergil in the series tbh) and the atmosphere was better than either 4 or 5. I don't understand people saying it wasn't a good DMC game. It's a reboot, it's not supposed to be a straight up sequel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1:28 whoa, who's the redhead looker?

Here is an overview of the game, via Blizzard Entertainment:

Diablo II: Resurrected is the definitive remastering of Diablo II and its “Lord of Destruction” expansion—two hallmark entries in the company’s genre-defining action role-playing series.

Diablo II was hailed by Time magazine as “arguably the best role-playing game of all time, the best dungeon-crawler of all time and the best PC game of all time.” Diablo II: Resurrected welcomes back veteran heroes and invites a new generation of players to experience the game’s sinfully dark storyline, thrilling loot chase, and visceral hack-and-slash gameplay with modernized visuals that take advantage of the latest gaming hardware.

Diablo II: Resurrected takes the 2D sprite-based classic and brings it into the present with full 3D physically-based rendering, dynamic lighting, revamped animations and spell effects—all stunningly delivered in up to 4K resolution. All 27 minutes of the game’s classic cinematics, chronicling the journey of the mysterious Dark Wanderer, are being remade—shot for shot—from the ground up. The nightmarish sounds of Sanctuary and its memorable soundtrack have also been reinvigorated to support Dolby 7.1 surround sound. By leveling up the game’s audio and visual capabilities, Diablo II: Resurrected will showcase the depth of gameplay and hallmark designs that continue to entertain players around the world to this day.

For those who would prefer a more nostalgic experience, players will be able to freely switch back-and-forth between the modern graphics and the original experience at any time with the press of a button. While Diablo II: Resurrected may look like an all-new game, Diablo II’s signature gameplay and systems are completely intact, quirks and all, adding a few highly requested quality of life improvements, such as a shared stash.

Diablo II: Resurrected features seven highly customizable character classes for players to choose from—the Amazon, Barbarian, Necromancer, Paladin, and Sorceress from the core game, as well as the Assassin and Druid from the included “Lord of Destruction” expansion. Players will be able to make each character their own by selecting skills and talent builds, crafting and socketing items, collecting complete gear sets, acquiring unique arms and armor, assembling Rune Word combinations, and much more.

Diablo II: Resurrected is an all-inclusive package containing a lifetime of adventures. It will take players to the deadly world of Sanctuary, where they will face Diablo, the Lord of Terror, and the forces of Hell through all four thrilling Acts of the original Diablo II campaign. They’ll meet beloved mentor and scholar Deckard Cain, fight alongside the Archangel Tyrael, and encounter other pantheonic characters who have become an indelible part of gaming history. This edition also includes all of the content from the “Lord of Destruction” expansion, with the journey continuing into Act V, where players will brave the dangers of Mount Arreat before facing Baal, the eponymous Lord of Destruction.

Edited by AriesWarlock
3 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Having no button configuration was a bit of a detriment for me in DMC1 since the default button layout doesn't click with me

I am actually of the opinion that Triangle is absolutly the proper button for setting jump to. It's easier and faster to access that way (Top of your thumb is pretty much always over it) and with jump being your primary dodge member in DMC it's the perfect spot for it. 

Button config is not a bad idea, and on PS4 (probably 5 but I dunno) you can button config at the OS level, so games having them as an option is kind of in the past anyway (long as week this option alive I mean.)

(DmC is probably the best characterization of Vergil in the series tbh)

I don't know to out a quote into an edited post so you're getting italicized @DoctaMario.

Anyway I completely disagree with this statement. While he has more characterization I would argue a decent amount of it betrays what Vergils is actually about, and some of it is just flat line terrible and a net negative for the character. Vergils a bastard and an asshole but he has a line, there is a level of honor to Vergil that is completely missing from the reboot imo, and it's a net negative for the character in almost every wa as far as characterization is concerned. I understand the point of reboots, but a reboot should also manage to keep the core concepts of the characters in tact. That's something LOS did really week for the most part but DmC drops the ball on completely with almost every character. 

They did give him some dope moves that found there into 5 tho so not a complete net negative on the whole. 

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I think people just go full retard when a reboot is announced, forget what the word "reboot" actually means, and think everything established up to that point will disappear completely. They did the same when Lords Of Shadow was announced to be Castlevania.

The combat in DmC was fun, the characterizations were pretty spot on if not over the top in places (DmC is probably the best characterization of Vergil in the series tbh) and the atmosphere was better than either 4 or 5. I don't understand people saying it wasn't a good DMC game. It's a reboot, it's not supposed to be a straight up sequel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

unpopular opinion and in the minority i believe

DmC is hella cringe i'm not even commenting in the gameplay which was subpar at best. The game did some many things wrong.

i hope we all forget about this failure and move on

45 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

NSMB Wii?  Excitetruck and Excitebots maybe? uhhh...

I've been thinking about this for like 2 days and I can't think of anything. Its driving me fucking nuts. The only stuff I can think of is like Konami's Rebirth line and you can't get those anymore. 

Part of it is that my Wii knowledge is rather limited, but also we don't know much about his old man other then he's old, can't stand and hasn't played since Pong...

Like at that point you kinda just have to try a few things and see what clicks...i dunno.  Buy the pipular shit like Mario Galacy and see if resonates soth him. 

The Wii has some really fun Golf games....does he like Golf Kingtubb?

17 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Most of the golf games on Wii that I remember having fun with were mostly because you swing the controller like a golf club. That may not actually require standing, but they're intended to be played that way. 

What about Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

Or MK7?

30 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

. That may not actually require standing, but they're intended to be played that way. 

I mean yea but like you said you don't have to. Played Tiger Woods sitting in a recliner. 

Edit: Man that Shield Maiden looks bad ass. 

Edited by RSG3
59 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Naaa, not a golf guy. But I’m not a golf guy and love golf games. 

he’s a tinkerer. Builds a bunch of shit, works with leather, cuts glass and makes stain glass art, builds model planes, trains, boats…

a mechanic simulator thing might be good. I’m really looking for anything that’s execution light and doesn’t need a wii motion plus, cause he is going to be playing from a bed. 

i wouldn’t worry too much about his interests, cause he’s not gonna know what he likes. Did they make a professor Layton? 

I was thinking he might like fire emblem… 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

(DmC is probably the best characterization of Vergil in the series tbh)

I don't know to out a quote into an edited post so you're getting italicized @DoctaMario.

Anyway I completely disagree with this statement. While he has more characterization I would argue a decent amount of it betrays what Vergils is actually about, and some of it is just flat line terrible and a net negative for the character. Vergils a bastard and an asshole but he has a line, there is a level of honor to Vergil that is completely missing from the reboot imo, and it's a net negative for the character in almost every wa as far as characterization is concerned. I understand the point of reboots, but a reboot should also manage to keep the core concepts of the characters in tact. That's something LOS did really week for the most part but DmC drops the ball on completely with almost every character. 

They did give him some dope moves that found there into 5 tho so not a complete net negative on the whole. 

Vergil being characterized beyond "i nEeD mOaR pWr!!1!11" was a breath of fresh air to me. He's  so one dimensional in pretty much all the other games he's in outside 1, where he has no lines, that they have to play him off of Dante, Arkham, etc. Having an ulterior motive for wanting  Mundus dead was far more interesting than he's ever been imo. Yeah he shows affection for Dante once in awhile, but beyond that it's all bad guy 101 stuff. 

From what I understand, a reboot is a different take on an existing property. It can keep the characters the same or depart from the source material, and I may be in the minority, but I think the latter is more interesting because what's the point of rebooting anything if it's just the same? 

2 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

unpopular opinion and in the minority i believe

DmC is hella cringe i'm not even commenting in the gameplay which was subpar at best. The game did some many things wrong.

i hope we all forget about this failure and move on

I dunno how unpopular it is anymore. Back when the game came out and everyone was Po Pimpus mad that Tameem was a dick to them it might have been but when someone expresses liking the game on the subreddit, there's a lot of "Yeah me too" even from people who've played the series awhile. I've been playing DMC since the demo for the first game dropped, I don't understand why anyone would want the same game time after time after time. I agree with some of the criticisms of it but I think a lot of people didn't give it a chance because they didn't like how Dante was recast or because Tameem was mean.

Btw @KingTubbHouse of The Dead! Overkill is pretty great if he doesn't mind a lot of salty language but the HotD 2 & 3 collection is excellent too.

Edited by DoctaMario

Yea sure, they just took him too far away from where he was for me. Vergil doesn't use guns, he has an honor system, he never lies, and shooting a pregnant woman is just a line for me. I don't need that in my reimagining of a series about a demon slaying goofball that waxes poetic about the value of family. 

I'm all about looking at a character from a new angle but for me...that isn't Vergil...at all. In fact he's almost the exact opposite of what I consider Vergil to be as a character. A honorable but broken and somewhat sympathetic character. 

I wouldn't pee on NuVergils head if his hair was on fire. He's a dumpster fire of an individual. He lies, cheats, and manipulates to get what he wants. DMC Vergil was always up front. It was Arkham who played underhanded games.

They took an antagonist and made him a villain. I don't dig it. 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea sure, they just took him too far away from where he was for me. Vergils doesn't use guns, he has a honor system, he never lies, and shooting a pregnant woman is just a line for me. I don't need that in my remaining of a series about a l demon slaying goofball that waxes poetic about the value of family. 

I'm all about looking at a character from a new angle but for me...that isn't Vergil...at all. In fact he's almost the exact opposite of what I consider Vergil to be as a character. A honorable but broken and somewhat sympathetic character. 

I wouldn't pee on NuVergils head if his hair was on fire. He's a dumpster fire of an individual. They took an Antagonist and made him a villain. I don't dig it. 

He was already a villain though. You think DMC3 Vergil wasn't ok with killing anyone and everyone in his way? He brought up a massive tower in the middle of a fucking city, how many people you think that alone killed? Tbh I think the heel turn he did in DmC was the biggest problem I had. 

I understand where you're coming from, but like I said before, he seems more 3d in DmC than he does in the other games. 

14 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

He was already a villain though

He was a villain, not THE villain. He comes off as the worst person in the reboot for me. 

14 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I understand where you're coming from, but like I said before, he seems more 3d in DmC than he does in the other games. 

And that's fine. I never needed him to he 3D. He was a fine character as he was. Even that besides I don't like the choices they made to make him 3D. It didn't make him a better for me. It made him far worse. I prefer the "shallower" character. Hes a better person and I value that in that character more then I do depth that wasn't ever needed to begin with imo. 

Edited by RSG3
7 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

i read somewhere i don't know if here or the internet  if they would have made the game into a parody of DMC instead and following this kid DINO trying to be dante, aspiring to be like his hero. I think that would have been some fun narrative i could have gotten into.

Just play it in Manolo with the final Bigote mod on PC and is as good as any great parody XD

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

He was already a villain though. You think DMC3 Vergil wasn't ok with killing anyone and everyone in his way? He brought up a massive tower in the middle of a fucking city, how many people you think that alone killed? Tbh I think the heel turn he did in DmC was the biggest problem I had. 

Sorry bro, but DmC made a lot of dumb decisions on the way when it came to the story.

The characters on DMC are more complex than what people give credit, they have a lot of things going for them, is just that is not in the nose, when you look at their actions and their context (lore, story, etc) you can see how they are well developed characters.

DmC confused being edgy with being deep.

Side note.

Something similar happens with God of War, where many people think that Kratos is deep now with the last game, ignoring how complex the character was on all the old games.

They only see the rage at surface level and don't care to appreciate all the other layers the character has that you can see across all the games.

Similar to Asura from Asura's Wrath 😕

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Twitter wants all woman to look butch with no curves. 

The sad thing is that too many times they get away with ruinning games and characters with their bitch cries.

Just look at how Strive reduced any fan service and basically deleted any aspect of Metal x Fantasy elements that had on their character designs to preemptively appeal to the west and the turds on social media.

Most characters now look just as regular people with some vague fantasy element on it.

Like May, you can only say she is a pirate due the hat, remove the skull and she is just a girl with a big hat, or Ky which you can't no longer tell he was a kinght priest or a king.

Yes it looks gorgeous, but in many places it lost its identity 😕

I gotta say outside the hat and anchor I've never thought May looked like a pirate. I dig her Strive look a lot more then her old one, but I'm not a huge May fan to begin with, same with Faust, her looks fucking dope visually now as opposed to silly 

Edited by RSG3

OUTRIDERS, bruh!

Ok, I checked out this build idea and some other info since hearing about the buffs from the other day....particularly to FASER Beam.

This shit is RIDICULOUS, man.  I won't be going back to my old build anytime soon.  The beam went from arguably the most undesirable Pyro skill to THE SHIT thanks to this latest update buff.  I think it's a requirement to use the mod that bumps up the width of the beam though....the great thing is that it doesn't have to be a direct hit.  Enemies take huge damage if it they are off to either side of it when the shot happens.

At first I had doubts because changing to the middle tree dropped my Anomaly power by quite a bit...down to 125k at the moment...however, I actually get more thanks to that node from the topside tree "Hot Situation"---I gain a bonus of 45% anomaly power anytime I use an immobilize ability!  So, I went with "Feed the Flames" as my immobilize skill of choice.  I hated having to give up my thermal bomb and overheat but this.... it's just toooo damn good. 

14 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry bro, but DmC made a lot of dumb decisions on the way when it came to the story.

The characters on DMC are more complex than what people give credit, they have a lot of things going for them, is just that is not in the nose, when you look at their actions and their context (lore, story, etc) you can see how they are well developed characters.

DmC confused being edgy with being deep.

Side note.

Something similar happens with God of War, where many people think that Kratos is deep now with the last game, ignoring how complex the character was on all the old games.

They only see the rage at surface level and don't care to appreciate all the other layers the character has that you can see across all the games.

Similar to Asura from Asura's Wrath 😕

I'm not saying the characters are super deep, honestly, I don't think many, if any of the characters in DMC are. All I'm saying is that I liked the way they characterized Vergil. The story isn't much different from a run of the mill DMC story so I don't really understand why people had such a problem with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The characters, I can understand if you didn't like them, but the story was exactly what you could expect from a dmc game, and even has some of the same tropes they all do. 

@DoctaMarioI've never been a huge DMC guy. So from the outside looking in. DmC was doomed the moment the dev started to taking shots at the existing fans. That bred a hostility that doomed the game from getting a fair shake. People would have bitched regardless but the moment he started taking potshots at fans, he lost the people that were sitting on the fence. As I've said many times, you can think what ever you like about fans but as business it's utter stupidity to openly attack your customers. It's a no win situation.

10 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Wait that's not his real name? Lol, I wasn't trying to call you out. 

Lol ok. We are talking about Vergil from Devil May Cry. I just googled it and looks like I am spelling it right. He's named after Virgil from The Divine Comedy but for some reason they spelled it Vergil I sometimes forget which is which lol. 

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Well would you really say the combat is better, or would you say the combo system is better?

I think the combat is better because the combo system is a little more free form and diverse.

Once you learn how to really work Dante it becomes less about the back and forth between him and the demons and more about just dispatching them while looking cool. 

With the occasional boss or enemy that will hit you with combat checks and keep it from being a COMPLETE power trip. Like the Proto Angelos in 5; those dudes make you step back and think and I really like that flow between enemies you can juggle for free and tougher mobs that get thrown in and force more of a back and forth 

As opposed to the combat in 1 where I feel very limited in combo creativity by comparison. But hey maybe that’s cause I enjoyed the newer games first and have a bias 

36 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm not saying the characters are super deep, honestly, I don't think many, if any of the characters in DMC are. All I'm saying is that I liked the way they characterized Vergil. The story isn't much different from a run of the mill DMC story so I don't really understand why people had such a problem with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The characters, I can understand if you didn't like them, but the story was exactly what you could expect from a dmc game, and even has some of the same tropes they all do. 

Is context and how the characters behave and what the story amounts to.

DmC reduced the characters and story to be your run of the mill corporation evil, just with the spin of demons are behind all of that.

Dante is a mouth piece edgy brat that goes on fuck bombs and making penis jokes as rebuttals.

Vergil had potential, but then they went their way to ruin him by making him not have any sense of honor and having a face turn heel of out nowhere just so they could keep the dynamic of one being "good" and the other being "bad".

Mundus being your stan in for a cooperate evil person.

Reducing Sparda to being a loser that was defeated onscreen and having his sons to fix what he was unable to prevent.

Removing the dichotomy of Dante and Vergil being hybrids of humans and demons, which is what drives them across the series and is what gives context to their actions.

By making them nephilims (which btw, in the context of the game, is wrong since it has never been stablished of being mix of demons and angels), you remove their humanity, which has been one of the cores of the series.

In general, DmC misunderstood the series, and tried to do things both gameplay wise and story wise that will obviously will generate backlash.

Like everyone has said.

DmC major sin is that it has Devil May Cry as its name, remove that and you have a game that will be able to stand by its own merits and faults.

But by having the name, it now has to deal with expectations and the baggage that the name has.

By being free of being a DMC game, the game would have probably better received, and perhaps, would have been also able to be more wild with the ideas that used.

Being a DMC game was a disservice for everyone, fans and devs alike. 

Edit

Then also add the fact that Tamiminnm,nkjhsjklaf Antonioades or whatever was his name, started both shitting on the old games and the fans.

That shit alone doomed the game.

Not to mention that DmC was a reboot that wasn't needed.

DMC, even 2, always sold well.

And DmC was just another of the dumb mid 2000 capcom trying to appeal to the west by dishing out everything that make their games be successful to begin with and handing their ips to western developers, to reimagine their games for the COD/Fifa Mountain Dew and Doritos bunch.

It even managed to put on a comma the series for a while, since it sold waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than any of the old games.

underperforming with less than 800k copies across the 3 platforms it was originally released.

And with the PS4 remaster/port/improved version selling way worse than DMC4 which was a digital only version.

We have DMC5 all thanks to that, since it showed to Capcom what the fans wanted the series to continue as.

To the point that DMC5 sold way beyond expectations because of the hiatus.

Edited by Hecatom

Ok yeah I just tried out another tier 14 expedition with this FASER beam/mid tree build... solo.... I died in the 2nd area but the damage I'm looking at right now.... 86 million total.  FASER Beam counted for 37 million of that....actually surpassing moaning winds mod which was 29 mil.  Sheeeeitttt, I can only imagine the results once I get everything fully optimized.  I still don't have a 3rd piece of Acari's set which would send the damage way off the charts big time.  If I could get that dam Acari set bonus, I could probably do 14 solo, I bet... I'm killing stuff SO much faster with this beam attack now it's just silly....there's so much working with this build; it's beautiful.  When the burn status ends, the enemies get immobilized by the "ash" status.  Immobilize via skill (*not sure if the post-burn ash status counts?) gives me that big 45% power boost... and I have "extinction" from the bottom tree which boosts damage 20% for anything under 30% health if I recall.

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Naaa, not a golf guy. But I’m not a golf guy and love golf games. 

he’s a tinkerer. Builds a bunch of shit, works with leather, cuts glass and makes stain glass art, builds model planes, trains, boats…

a mechanic simulator thing might be good. I’m really looking for anything that’s execution light and doesn’t need a wii motion plus, cause he is going to be playing from a bed. 

i wouldn’t worry too much about his interests, cause he’s not gonna know what he likes. Did they make a professor Layton? 

I was thinking he might like fire emblem… 

Uh...I hope you already have Fire Emblem on Wii cause if you don't...

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DoctaMarioI've never been a huge DMC guy. So from the outside looking in. DmC was doomed the moment the dev started to taking shots at the existing fans. That bred a hostility that doomed the game from getting a fair shake. People would have bitched regardless but the moment he started taking potshots at fans, he lost the people that were sitting on the fence. As I've said many times, you can think what ever you like about fans but as business it's utter stupidity to openly attack your customers. It's a no win situation.

Yeah I agree with that. I felt the same when Dave whatshisname that directed Lords Of Shadow did similar things. I get it, honestly, gamers are idiots and I kind of feel bad for those guys having to deal with them, but lashing out doesn't really help anything.  

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is context and how the characters behave and what the story amounts to.

DmC reduced the characters and story to be your run of the mill corporation evil, just with the spin of demons are behind all of that.

None of the DMC games have great stories so when people gripe about them it just seems silly, like complaining that Katy Perry isn't making music like Bach. If you want that, you go to games that do that, these stories are meant to give you something to do between missions, and I doubt even the people writing them are thinking that hard about it. 

One thing later DMC games lacked in comparison to dmc1 besides atmosphere is the enemies. Enemies is part 1 were SUPER AGGRESSIVE, like a Marrionete could fuck you up badly if they caught you slippin. Enemies would even  pull out new moves on harder difficulties to keep you on your toes, you'd have to use all the tools at your disposal to win

For the most part besides bosses, most normal enemies were basically combo dummies after DMC1, and you only would need a few of your moves to beat them. I need enemies actively trying to murder me again back in DMC6 AND still look cool when I'm able to dispatch them

Edited by HD-Man
10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

None of the DMC games have great stories

Hard disagree, 3 is a great story. It's greatly paced, has well defined characters with understood motivations, has a few plot twists to keep you engaged and a solid theme about family and the importance of growing up & cleaning up ones messes. 

Its a great little story. These characters and the events that happen to them resonate with fans for a reason. 

Edited by RSG3