Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

22 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Balan must have shit the bed real hard.

Oh fuck yeah it did, PS2 era graphics, the same exact Q-T-E shows up constantly with the exact same cut scene.
It tried to be Sega's  Nights into Dreams and fell flat on their faces, there a general lack of vision and cohesion in the planning process. 
They tried to do more than the Saturn era game in terms of Story and ended up getting much less as a result.

Also Nights let you play as the Magic Clown/Jester, Balan just does their terrible Anime Willy Wonka as Q-T-E.

“I resigned from Square Enix at the end of April,” - Yuji Naka
Ha ha ha. 😆
I understood it that Sqeenix fired that MF, Yuji Naka may as well retire as I don't know who would hire this man after Balan. 

Edited by DarkSakul

Ok, one of the latest maps in Gears 5 is laughably easy to do Horde on...it's called "Command". I don't think it even matters what difficulty, either.  The design of this area is so far in the players' advantage that it's like a joke...I've played a few Insane difficulty sessions on it...with random people as usual....and with absolutely no problem....one group was a bit tough since they put the fabricator in an odd spot in a far right corner of the map... perhaps they were trying to "create a challenge" there, I guess.  Basically, the area you spawn in is already the perfect spot to set up as "home base"... it's a small room with a projector...leading out to the larger room...kinda like a movie theater.  Enemies can only approach this area of the map from 2 paths--the right side entrance and the middle where the stairs are....these spots are very easy to control....1 person can handle the right side, and the others can just hang around watching the front.  The main area has a good view of where enemies spawn in from the left and right... and the person keeping watch on the right side stairwell has a view down the hall into a room where the right-side enemy spawn is. 

*ALSO---since the whole map is an enclosed area, only a few bosses can spawn.  Kestrel is never really that tough a fight, but it cannot spawn in here at all since duh...it's a damn helicopter. 😆  I don't think the flying creature shows up either.  

haha this is too good to pass up.... for the easy exp off higher difficulties, I'm watching my search results for anyone playing this shit every time now.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I got something like this when I got my switch. Ce with a great case, a grip, headphones, screen protector, slip cover to keep all the stuff in the pockets from going everywhere, etc. Thing is really awesome and the grip really does make playing handheld a lot easier/more comfortable. 

What one did you get?

The one I got is called "the Lite", or something. :coffee:

14 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I can't remember the brand name (it starts with an O) but it's something basically like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Protective-Storage-Holder/dp/B06XFYDWHK

The 3DS cord in the netting is a nice touch. 🤣

The 3DS had the best cases, ever, pretty much, though.

I have an absolutely godlike one that,  despite being relatively compact, can hold a ludicrous amount of kit.

Like, the netting zipper area is deep enough that I store my N3DS in it, and house my N3DS XL in the proper slot.

24 minutes ago, JHDK said:

The 3DS cord in the netting is a nice touch. 🤣

The 3DS had the best cases, ever, pretty much, though.

I have an absolutely godlike one that,  despite being relatively compact, can hold a ludicrous amount of kit.

Like, the netting zipper area is deep enough that I store my N3DS in it, and house my N3DS XL in the proper slot.

😂 I'll have to check which one it is, but it looks basically the same as that one. It's an awesome little case, super portable, fits in a carry-on and has pretty good shock protection. 

12 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Games should include a "I forgot what the fuck I was doing" refresher feature in video games that activates after you haven't played in a while. I don't know what the hell is going on in Astral Chain or how to fight 😂

May not be a "WTF was I doing?" Prompt but the game does have a mission select in the menu. You can restart the chapter you are on, or start at the beginning of the game again. Can also just quit the mission and go back to HQ to use the training room and get reacquainted with the combat. 

Making me want to play it again. Game was dope. I hope Nintendo funds a sequel. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I never did Astral Chain. I remember getting bored with it by the third act. I need to get back on it.

my main criticism would be that they need t tighten up and make the investigation portions of the game more compelling. Their pacing is a bit slow and aimless and some of them take too long. Some cleaning up in this department for the sequel would go a long way to making the game a more solid and well paced experienece the whole way through. As is it now it has some pretty slow moments that can really kill the momentum. 

+1 for also never playing Astral Chain (despite owning it). I just haven’t gotten around to it.

I need to figure out a “cool down” game to play after I’m done with Xenoblade Chronicles though. I’m 130 hours in and I’m ready to be done. Lol. 

Maybe I’ll play the first Shantae or Spyro or something. I really wanna finish River City Girls but I’ve been co-op’ing it with a friend and I don’t want to finish it without him. God it’s so good. Kyoko is the best. Tons of Street Fighter moves and volley ball techniques. 

shes bae. 

4E27880B-2F8F-420D-8206-DBC9AA9ED276.gif

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Fucking Christ lmao. 

I've been traipsing around trying to find my way, so I've picked up a lot of souls and loot lol

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I respect the grind

I haven't done much grinding other than a few levels at the beginning and a few more to get my Faith up to 25 so I could join the Warriors Of Sun covenant. But like I told RSG, I've done a lot of wandering around so I've picked up a lot of stuff in the process. Next run I do, I probably won't be so leveled up. 

Gears...the weapons...

I know the weapons are tuned differently depending on if you are playing PvP or PvE content in this game (and part 4 if I recall)... but I was just thinking yesterday....I'm not a fan of the "Retro Lancer" at all... I'm close to outright calling it a trash weapon, at least in terms of PvE content.  Unfortunately, the "Infiltraitor" class has it as a starting weapon, and yep... I dump that crap first chance I get, man.  I only ever keep it equipped if there is some medal associated with it, like "get 100 kills with retro lancer".  Oh yeah... it does provide a small bit of comedic value for causing your character to do their yell or "war scream" whatever audio clip when you do a "retro charge" run with it...so there's that.  haha it's funny to do the run but stop short so that funny character yell starts and stops, followed by the character's "laughing" audio emote. 😆 (*I suspect they've put a special cool-down on the emotes though, most likely to prevent people spamming those constantly.  The "booo!" audio clips are funny too; I have all my character picks equipped with that.  The old dude with the eyepatch probably has the best one---his "Boo!" clip is just him yelling "WHAT HORSESHIT!"  My girl Sam says in a rather haughty way-- "Why do you even bother!?" in that lovely brit accent)

I don't like the torque bow that much either, but I'd probably rather have it than the retro.

It's also annoying that ammo boxes only give you back 1 ammo for the boomshot....c'mon now...you're better off picking up an enemy's boomshot anytime it's dropped, as that gives you a full 3.

24 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Are Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 going to be launch games for the Switch Pro?  Along with Mario Kart 9?

No one knows yet. A lot of speculation but nothing but that and folks hoping at the moment.

I just want fucking Joy con or controllers that don't drift after a while.

So I finished Parasite Eve for the first time yesterday, it's always been one of those "must plays but never got round to it" kinda thing and I've always heard great things but after playing it I'm fairly disappointed. Excellent premise and the locale is real cool, snowy NY is an aesthetic I just love, but AYA'S FUCKING WALK SPEED and the pretty strict control made it a bit of fucker in places. I also didn't like that enemies deal contact damage but can also body block, it's not a problem with most enemies but depending on the environment combat can just not feel very good, especially when one scenario had me getting gang banged by 3 bats in a never ending loop of dark status ailments, also some attack tells are not clear in the slightest. I wish menuing was a bit snappier overall  but I do like the attempt in the grand scheme of it's combat, I like the turn based/RPG nature and the modern look, at the time, mixed with weird JP horror.

I feel like the game is mislabelled as a survival horror in all honesty, it's a horror/JRPG... it just is. All in all though I enjoyed my time with it, even though I found myself being let down by it some areas. Fun combat that stumbles over itself some times, silly story, Street Fighter 4 walk speed but I'd say it's def worth a single play through.

6/10

EDIT: Oh wait yeah the museum was fucking terrible. 

Edited by Abbachio

^oh no, that doesn't sound good.  Just about every time platforming has appeared in a non-platforming centric game... I've usually hated it.  Doom Eternal comes to mind with this shit as well... there's too much of it in there.  I'm there to endlessly slaughter demons of Hell in cool ways... *not* to jump around half a map/level like Super Mario.

Gears 5 - One hell of a Horde session a little while ago, on that easy map I mentioned earlier, "Command".  I was there for quite some time with this group, I think it was wave 18 when I joined them....went all the way to 50, and it was Insane difficulty.... I picked Infiltrator as usual.  The damage was so juicy, folks (ended up with 284k on that wave, and even that is likely way below what I should have as Infiltrator playing on a higher difficulty)... and so many epic, action-packed moments there.  Naturally, we had at least 2 Cryo Cannons at the ready in weapon lockers, specifically for the Matriarch (cryos also kill the shit out of those flying "Guardian" bots)

Man, you get ultimate back SO fast due to all the damage.. like you could hit ultimate twice in the 1 wave, probably more.  I made sure to go invisible anytime Matriarch got frozen, of course... you get a 10x damage bonus for shooting something while invisible....which is on top of the other bonuses... I forgot what my total shotgun damage bonus is at this point but it's goddamn ridiculous.  This Horde session leveled it up to 20 as well, so my Infiltrator is now "completed".

There's too many games. 

I really like VF5US, but strive just dropped yesterday, so I've got two FGs to juggle. 

Then, I just started playing Disco Elysium with my wife, and she's really into it. And I've heard that game can be loooooong. 

And as the tripple cherry topper, I'm in the middle of my 2nd playthrough of RE8, a run of RE4, and I just picked up sludge life last night cause I have bad impulse buying tendencies. 

Sludge life is great BTW

10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

There's too many games. 

I really like VF5US, but strive just dropped yesterday, so I've got two FGs to juggle. 

Then, I just started playing Disco Elysium with my wife, and she's really into it. And I've heard that game can be loooooong. 

And as the tripple cherry topper, I'm in the middle of my 2nd playthrough of RE8, a run of RE4, and I just picked up sludge life last night cause I have bad impulse buying tendencies. 

Sludge life is great BTW

I have to really curb my tendencies to buy everything because I've already got quite a bit of a backlog going on Switch, forget about all the PS+ games I have on PS4. 

I saw this meme though, "16 year old me looking at all the games I want to play but don't have the money to buy, vs 40 year old me looking at all the games I bought that I don't have time to play." 😩

14 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Didn't really follow anything about this title. I like SkillUp's reviews so decided to take a look. While watching the review, I gave the same "holy fuck" expression during the moment referenced. Now I'm legitimately intrigued.  

17 hours ago, Abbachio said:

So I finished Parasite Eve for the first time yesterday, it's always been one of those "must plays but never got round to it" kinda thing and I've always heard great things but after playing it I'm fairly disappointed. Excellent premise and the locale is real cool, snowy NY is an aesthetic I just love, but AYA'S FUCKING WALK SPEED and the pretty strict control made it a bit of fucker in places. I also didn't like that enemies deal contact damage but can also body block, it's not a problem with most enemies but depending on the environment combat can just not feel very good, especially when one scenario had me getting gang banged by 3 bats in a never ending loop of dark status ailments, also some attack tells are not clear in the slightest. I wish menuing was a bit snappier overall  but I do like the attempt in the grand scheme of it's combat, I like the turn based/RPG nature and the modern look, at the time, mixed with weird JP horror.

I feel like the game is mislabelled as a survival horror in all honesty, it's a horror/JRPG... it just is. All in all though I enjoyed my time with it, even though I found myself being let down by it some areas. Fun combat that stumbles over itself some times, silly story, Street Fighter 4 walk speed but I'd say it's def worth a single play through.

6/10

EDIT: Oh wait yeah the museum was fucking terrible. 

I sorta have the same issues with PE. I liked the idea of an active turn-based combat system but it just turned out clunky. Haven't played the sequels to see how it all fleshed out though.

And that Chrysler building "side dungeon" can go fuck right off. Those fuckin giant cockroaches had me stumped for the longest time. Still haven't beaten it to this day.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

There's too many games. 

Sludge life is great BTW

Yeah, I have Strive hadn't even booted it up yet. Worked 12 hours yesterday. I've barely had time for VF5 and then I've got like 3 JRPGs I'm working on. Ratchet & Clank will have to wait. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I sorta have the same issues with PE. I liked the idea of an active turn-based combat system but it just turned out clunky. Haven't played the sequels to see how it all fleshed out though.

And that Chrysler building "side dungeon" can go fuck right off. Those fuckin giant cockroaches had me stumped for the longest time. Still haven't beaten it to this day.

I started the second game and that one's forgone the turn based combat in favour of a more RE style oriented gameplay, so far I like it but I do wish they had refined the combat from the first game. I think the biggest issue is that the level design should have been designed around the combat, it's nearly a fantastic game it really is but like I, and you, said it just trips itself a lot and becomes clunky. Also Haste goes from useful to fucking broken as soon as you gain a decent reserve of PE.

I completely missed the Chrysler building, do you have to do something specific to trigger it?

Also pretty funny story I think, when the cutscene came on showing the ultimate being coming aboard for the final fight my 2 year old daughter was watching, laughing her ass off going " awww likcle baby fall down awww" and I'm just like "you are going to be such a fucked up adult, I'm sorry".

3 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I completely missed the Chrysler building, do you have to do something specific to trigger it?

I think you have to start a New Game+ once you finished the game. And then it becomes available after the first chapter I guess?

I also kinda never understood the ending. I thought Aya was gonna plaster the whole crowd at the opera but ends up....lighting up their eyes? So was she mind controlling them or something? So confused....

9 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I think you have to start a New Game+ once you finished the game. And then it becomes available after the first chapter I guess?

I also kinda never understood the ending. I thought Aya was gonna plaster the whole crowd at the opera but ends up....lighting up their eyes? So was she mind controlling them or something? So confused....

I took it to signify that the mitochondria is living in symbiosis with the vast majority of humans, rather than being a parasite and using it's host to live, grow and... set people on fire and give birth?

16 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Maaan fuck the wage cage. Take care of yourself, homie. 

but that writing career gonna line the pockets here soon

Yeah I'm basically salary. So I worked those hours for my own sanity. Literally got home right before Superman & Lois came on. I probably shouldn't buy any games for at least a year in all honesty. May have to use my extra vacation days for my backlog 🤣