Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

I finished the first DMC game today, haven't played it in a long ass time, but outside of the visuals looking like PS2 era visuals, I think it may be the best DMC game still. Yes, the sequels were more polished and the combat is crazier, but you can do some pretty wild stuff with the combat in DMC1 and the aesthetics and vibe of this game still curbstomps every other one in the series imo. 

In Dark Souls news, I got to Sen's Fortress. Fuck Sen's Fortress 😂

So I mentioned yesterday I beat RCR with a friend. Same friend and I tried to play Luigi’s Mansion 3 today as it’s the other co-op game we’ve been playing. Unfortunately we didn’t get to play that much because the neuropathy in my hand has been really bad today. 

Before I start Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I want/need another “cool down” type game I can solo before I jump into another 100+ hour title. 

Anyone have any suggestions? I’m looking about maybe 5-20 hours long. Available on the switch is preferred as the PS4 controller’s textured grip irritates my neuropathy after a while and I just don’t wanna hook up my Xbone. Lol. 

Im thinking maybe platformer? Or a chill ass collectathon. I want to be engaged, obviously but just kind of a game were I can relax and just take my time going through 

for the record, I’ve played and beat Odyssey and 3D World+BF

Edited by iStu X

Sheeeeeittttt, some more of the good stuff from that stream yesterday

^I had given up hope that Lost Ark would ever come to North America, but somehow a miracle happened.... it is yet another thing that is online-only, most likely.  This game has looked incredible to me since the first day I saw it.  I've always thought Blizzard should actually be the one taking notes from this one, in terms of various visual effects and the awesome shit characters can do in this game.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I finished the first DMC game today, haven't played it in a long ass time, but outside of the visuals looking like PS2 era visuals, I think it may be the best DMC game still. Yes, the sequels were more polished and the combat is crazier, but you can do some pretty wild stuff with the combat in DMC1 and the aesthetics and vibe of this game still curbstomps every other one in the series imo. 

DMC1 definitely has the best atmosphere of the series. 3 leaned into the occult-ish looking environments a bit, but they didn't do enough to make the places feel evil. 

16 minutes ago, Camacho said:

DMC1 definitely has the best atmosphere of the series. 3 leaned into the occult-ish looking environments a bit, but they didn't do enough to make the places feel evil. 

DMC1 was technically a Resident Evil game first so there's a reason for the atmosphere. I honestly wish they'd bring that horror theme back, that's what made the first stand out. This is an area I find later games to be lacking in

Also, bring back those super aggressive regular enemies who could kill you if you got to comfortable, enemies in later games generally were just dummies to practice combos on. 

As for Eldin Ring, doesn't look bad, just looks like yet another Dark Souls. Need to see more combat before I commit to it, as is, not too impressed 

7 hours ago, iStu X said:

Anyone have any suggestions? I’m looking about maybe 5-20 hours long. Available on the switch is preferred as the PS4 controller’s textured grip irritates my neuropathy after a while and I just don’t wanna hook up my Xbone. Lol. 

Do you have Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair? Unlike the first game this one is actually good. It plays like DKC.

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Sen's one of my favorite areas lol. 

It's a cool area, it's just really tough. I've actually killed the giant but I keep getting rekt on the way to the bonfire so I end up having to start from the beginning every time I die. It's a lot harder to just run past enemies in this game, is more to your benefit to just fight them, especially because they can catch up to you.

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

DMC1 was technically a Resident Evil game first so there's a reason for the atmosphere. I honestly wish they'd bring that horror theme back, that's what made the first stand out. This is an area I find later games to be lacking in

Yeah the horror theme was really well done in dmc1. The other games seem to be trading on site of the things dmc1 did, but not so much that kind of atmosphere. 

Finally got to pre-order the monster Hunter Stories 2 amiibo no thanks to GameStop. I randomly decided to check the amiibo sub-Reddit and a user mentioned they were in stock on Amazon Japan. So I preordered the set of three with the quickness. 

im not going to get them until a month after they release but at least I know I have the set locked down if I can’t get any from GameStop when they release next month. 

Edited by iStu X

FYI for everyone that has FFVII Intergrade. Apparently the game has a new/extended ending. I may play the last chapter to find out. Honesty, I need to replay FFVII:R from the beginning just to remember how to play the game. Not the whole game, like just maybe the first chapter 🤣 Haven't played it in like 10 months.

Side note: Sony's cross gen situation is ass. So games don't have cross progression at all and the ones that doe are pain the ass. Let's take FFVII:R for example. You have to upload a single PS4 save from the PS4 version of the game. Boot the PS5 game and download it. Then repeat the process for every fucking save file. Sony WTF.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
58 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

FYI for everyone that has FFVII Intergrade. Apparently the game has a new/extended ending. I may play the last chapter to find out. Honesty, I need to replay FFVII:R from the beginning just to remember how to play the game. Not the whole game, like just maybe the first chapter 🤣 Haven't played it in like 10 months.

Side note: Sony's cross gen situation is ass. So games don't have cross progression at all and the ones that doe are pain the ass. Let's take FFVII:R for example. You have to upload a single PS4 save from the PS4 version of the game. Boot the PS5 game and download it. Then repeat the process for every fucking save file. Sony WTF.

It is even worse, when it is a game like Borderlands 3.

Only one save..

Sucks to be a fan, I guess.

Because each character... is a save.

True story.

and yeah - it is nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

What about Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin? It's a action platformer. It's also a farming simulator so be warned.

I haven’t got around to getting Sakuna. I just ended up saying fuck it and started XBC2. It’s really rocky first but I’ve more or less gotten use to the controls now. 

For fans of top do n view action games:

About

Arietta of Spirits is a story-driven action-adventure game, following Arietta on her journey to unveil the mysteries of the Spirit Realm. Immerse yourself in a story filled with emotion and surprising turns.

The game tells the story of Arietta and her family, visiting their Grandmother’s cabin for the first time after her passing away a year prior.

However, the family trip takes an unexpected turn when Arietta meets a mysterious new friend and gains the ability to see the strange beings that inhabit the island.

Key Features

• Explore a secluded island with lush forests, murky caverns and dark secrets.
  • Meet fascinating characters and help them on your way.
  • Fight a wide range of enemies in reaction based combat and discover new abilities.

es:

About

Hunt the Night is a retro-style action-adventure game that combines a fast and skilled gameplay with dark fantasy lore. Play as Vesper, a virtuous member of “The Stalkers,” and explore the vast world of Medhram, filled with ruins and horrors. Go through dungeons full of traps, enemies and puzzles to fight challenging bosses using your arsenal and dark abilities.

The story of this condemned and decadent world is given through characters, the world design and collectibles. Discover the Night’s corruption that has annihilated humanity over and over and fight to stop it in this dark fantasy journey.

Key Features

• Explore – A huge dark world to explore in a combination of action-adventure games and dark fantasy lore! From ancient cathedrals, to devastated floating cities, explore the world alongside an immersive and adapted music to every moment, with the collaboration of Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana composer.
  • Customize – Upgrade your weapons and equip the armor, dark power and moonstone that best suits your gameplay: critical damage, life steal, poison, close combat, firepower and so on.
  • Hunt – Complete “Hunts” to get awesome rewards as you track down and hunt the most powerful creatures of the Night. Collect Sanguine vials, Crow Feathers, Moonstones and Noctilium to increase your stats and get ready to face the Night.
  • Survive – Face challenging Bosses with multiple and innovative mechanics along with intense combats with several phases.

Edited by AriesWarlock

that is surprising; I never expected there would be a sequel to Aragami, actually... I still haven't gotten far in the first one yet but I enjoyed what little I've played so far.

On the Diablo front... Ethereal items?!?

...not so sure I like the idea of them being temporary though---they degrade eventually and cannot be repaired.  I know how oddly picky the Diablo fanbase is though, and a LOT of folks probably would've complained about another new higher tier of items pushing the powerlevels even further.

...heh, that's another one for the "unpopular opinions" topic I suppose... I LOVE the "power-creep" issue that tends to happen with most rpgs....it puzzles me why anyone would ever want to go backwards in evolution....to me it's like saying "hey, you know what would be cool in the next Dragonball series?  What if Goku and the other saiyans couldn't hit god power anymore, and everyone was powered down..."  nah bruh, fuck THAT.  This is a POWER fantasy.  I want my characters to be absolutely ridiculous when they hit level-cap and get optimized gear and build.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, MillionX said:

that is surprising; I never expected there would be a sequel to Aragami, actually... I still haven't gotten far in the first one yet but I enjoyed what little I've played so far.

On the Diablo front... Ethereal items?!?

...not so sure I like the idea of them being temporary though---they degrade eventually and cannot be repaired.  I know how oddly picky the Diablo fanbase is though, and a LOT of folks probably would've complained about another new higher tier of items pushing the powerlevels even further.

...heh, that's another one for the "unpopular opinions" topic I suppose... I LOVE the "power-creep" issue that tends to happen with most rpgs....it puzzles me why anyone would ever want to go backwards in evolution....to me it's like saying "hey, you know what would be cool in the next Dragonball series?  What if Goku and the other saiyans couldn't hit god power anymore, and everyone was powered down..."  nah bruh, fuck THAT.  This is a POWER fantasy.  I want my characters to be absolutely ridiculous when they hit level-cap and get optimized gear and build.

Diehard Diablo fans are the worst, most unpleasant cunts imaginable.

They insist that Resurrected remain exactly the same, despite the fact that D2 was a horribly imbalanced mess that succeeded all but in spite of itself.

And every single one of those hypocritical moist taints who decried power creep, ran a fucking Hammerdin.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, DoctaMario said:

I’ve recently been playing them all as well (never played 1 or 3 so I went ahead and beat those) and I never knew the first game was so different from the rest. Atmospherically I think it probably takes the cake yeah, though I really liked the the Temen Ni Gru from 3 as a setting. Hard to decide.

It’s strange….I feel conflicted. My first DMC games were 4 and 5 so it was a bit jarring to go back and play the more grounded game that is the first DMC. But the atmosphere and environment of Mallet island is pretty unbeatable as far as the sequels go.

Yet, the combat in every game 3 and onward is such a vast improvement and I don’t really know if I’d trade that for a more realized atmosphere like 1. Though I will say, I’m playing through DMC5 again as Vergil finally and I’m starting to realize just how boring and uninspired a lot of the levels can be. I mean everything looks very much the same. You’re either in a city street or in some hell room inside the Qliphoth. Nothing is really that memorable, as opposed to 1 and 3 where I can remember a ton of amazing areas that stuck out. Especially considering they’d usually make fun use of backtracking.

USUALLY…….😑

If I had to absolutely pick a game and the rest go away, I dunno man, it’d probably be 3 or 5. 4 actually almost escapes the problem of samey environments for the first half but then they just funnel you through the entire game again with Dante which is MAD lazy.

Also, you’re playing Dark Souls? Oh Lordy. I love hearing a first timer’s stories in Souls games. 😀

Curious how long Sen’s Fortress will hold ya’

Apparently there was a leaked date (Twitter) for Diablo 2 Resurrected---- September 23?  If true, that would be a bit sooner than what I was thinking.

DMC4 was also my first game, and naturally it blew me away.  The trailer for it still my favorite game trailer I've ever seen....nothing even comes close.  I have part 3 on Switch but I have only played thru a few missions so far....I might be close to half-way through, I think.

...haha of course, knowing how Hollywood is in recent years with casting, I'd bet they would get whoever is a popular black actor to play Dante if it ever went live action....gotta hop on that diversity bandwagon, y'know. ...and defenders of course would likely hide behind "wellllll Dante's a half-demon sooooooo his racedontmatterhahahastaymad#MakeEveryCharacterBlacklol.".  You could bet money on how this shit plays out every time at this point.  That's where we are with live-action entertainment, these days.

2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Apparently there was a leaked date (Twitter) for Diablo 2 Resurrected---- September 23?  If true, that would be a bit sooner than what I was thinking.

DMC4 was also my first game, and naturally it blew me away.  The trailer for it still my favorite game trailer I've ever seen....nothing even comes close.  I have part 3 on Switch but I have only played thru a few missions so far....I might be close to half-way through, I think.

...haha of course, knowing how Hollywood is in recent years with casting, I'd bet they would get whoever is a popular black actor to play Dante if it ever went live action....gotta hop on that diversity bandwagon, y'know. ...and defenders of course would likely hide behind "wellllll Dante's a half-demon sooooooo his racedontmatterhahahastaymad#MakeEveryCharacterBlacklol.".  You could bet money on how this shit plays out every time at this point.  That's where we are with live-action entertainment, these days.

Naw they wouldn't make Dante black particularly after the DmC drama.

Now Vergil or any of the other supporting cast they could change on a whim and honestly would lose nothing.

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

I’ve recently been playing them all as well (never played 1 or 3 so I went ahead and beat those) and I never knew the first game was so different from the rest. Atmospherically I think it probably takes the cake yeah, though I really liked the the Temen Ni Gru from 3 as a setting. Hard to decide.

It’s strange….I feel conflicted. My first DMC games were 4 and 5 so it was a bit jarring to go back and play the more grounded game that is the first DMC. But the atmosphere and environment of Mallet island is pretty unbeatable as far as the sequels go.

Yet, the combat in every game 3 and onward is such a vast improvement and I don’t really know if I’d trade that for a more realized atmosphere like 1. Though I will say, I’m playing through DMC5 again as Vergil finally and I’m starting to realize just how boring and uninspired a lot of the levels can be. I mean everything looks very much the same. You’re either in a city street or in some hell room inside the Qliphoth. Nothing is really that memorable, as opposed to 1 and 3 where I can remember a ton of amazing areas that stuck out. Especially considering they’d usually make fun use of backtracking.

USUALLY…….😑

If I had to absolutely pick a game and the rest go away, I dunno man, it’d probably be 3 or 5. 4 actually almost escapes the problem of samey environments for the first half but then they just funnel you through the entire game again with Dante which is MAD lazy.

Also, you’re playing Dark Souls? Oh Lordy. I love hearing a first timer’s stories in Souls games. 😀

Curious how long Sen’s Fortress will hold ya’

I got through Sen's on Friday, now I'm in Anor Londo which his fucking BEAUTIFUL, I thought I'd walked back into Yharnam for a second! I'm at the infamous part with the snipers, and while I haven't gotten past it yet, I can see how to do it and its not too bad. The first play through of any Soulsborne game is always frustrating for me, but once I have a better idea what I'm doing, it's more fun, so while the frustrated part of me is like "I probably won't play this again" I know I likely will even if I take a break for a bit. It's definitely different than DS2, especially in that you don't get penalized by losing your life gauge for dying (but the curse thing in dsr is bullshit lol)

As for DMC, the combat in 1 is pretty robust, not as much as the sequels, but you can really do a lot of cool stuff in that game. Tbh, I think 3 is the pinnacle of the series because it marries great combat with pretty good atmosphere. 4 has great combat but is a chore to play through, imo playing Dante in Bloody Palace is about as good as that game will get, and 5 is better but not quite as good as 3 in the atmosphere area. I do like how expanded the combat is in 5 though, that V isn't just another swordbro and how different Nero is. I hated playing as Nero in 4 but he's probably my favorite character in 5. 

I'm sure it'll ruffle feathers, but DmC also did a good job of marrying excellent atmosphere with combat that while it wasn't as deep as 4, it was still pretty robust and it was like they made something of a "best of" of Dante's DMC3 tools. 

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yet, the combat in every game 3 and onward is such a vast improvement and I don’t really know if I’d trade that for a more realized atmosphere like 1.

Well would you really say the combat is better, or would you say the combo system is better?

Edited by RSG3

oh that would be the funny thing---supposedly twin brothers...but say they make Vergil black for some reason...while keeping Dante as a white guy...so ya got Zac Effron as Dante...and Michael B. Jordan as Vergil probably.....but they're brothers, of course....right. 🤣

then again that reminds me of how Lucifer and Amenadiel (D.B. Woodside) are "brothers" in the Lucifer show

hahaha they mentioned the next Elder Scrolls as if that's coming anytime soon.  It will actually be the year 2042 by the time we get the first gameplay footage.

There is a seriously cute girl on the stream at Gametrailers right now...

the name is Miranda...yeah I'd eat.

Edited by MillionX
2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

DmC isn't a shit game, it's quite serviceable, it just not good as a DMC game. Swap the name and it would've done decently. I've played far worse action games 

i read somewhere i don't know if here or the internet  if they would have made the game into a parody of DMC instead and following this kid DINO trying to be dante, aspiring to be like his hero. I think that would have been some fun narrative i could have gotten into.

2 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

i read somewhere i don't know if here or the internet  if they would have made the game into a parody of DMC instead and following this kid DINO trying to be dante, aspiring to be like his hero. I think that would have been some fun narrative i could have gotten into.

I mean it definitely works as a side game if that's the route they wanted to take. Kinda like that Yaiba game was to Ninja Gaiden

I wouldn't mind Dino showing up for some multiverse shenanigans in a future Devil May Cry or as a add on playable character atleast. But I'm sure Capcom won't use him or that world again

3 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I mean it definitely works as a side game if that's the route they wanted to take. Kinda like that Yaiba game was to Ninja Gaiden

I wouldn't mind Dino showing up for some multiverse shenanigans in a future Devil May Cry or as a add on playable character atleast. But I'm sure Capcom won't use him or that world again

i don't see that happening for a few reasons this whole idea of combining west and east studios to make a game was Inafune's all along which left capcom already and not in a good note.

this game wasn't only a bad DMC game but it was also pretty bad on the narrative itself, trying to be edgy and serious i think it was writtten by 13 year old.

and third well entitled tameem threw more wood to the fire with his statements insulting the DMC fanbase and glorifying his flawed game.

DmC is an ok action game but I don't really want to see it again. I thought the color scheme and excessive bloom constantly was super ugly.  I don't find the game visually attractive. The writing was fucking terrible to. Just awful. DMC never needed a pregnant person to be murdered on screen. That scene alone proves a fundamental misunderstanding of DMC. 

Basically the combat is alright (I have my issues with it but it's not terrible) but everything surrounding it is God awful imo. If it had been called something else but the general narrative and events still happened and the graphics stayed the same I would still dislike this game a good deal.