Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

We're about to hit the 50% mark on 2021, so time to give my 

1st half GOTYs 

1.) RE8- Probably in my top 3 RE games of all time. Everything from the presentation, the gameplay, and the variety and pacing was on point and I'd be surprised if I play anything that I enjoy much more than this in 2021. The only downside I can think of is that most of the boss fights were pretty meh to me, and the crafting system makes inventory management kind of pointless, but those complaints are so miniscule that they don't really amount to much.

2.) Disco Elysium- I know this came out in 2019, but the complete edition dropped this year and it's probably one of the best games I've ever played. I'm playing it with my wife and we're both pretty addicted. If you haven't picked this up, do yourself a favor and grab it. 

3.) GG Strive- Game's good. Sure, it's only been out for 2 weeks, but it's great. Hopefully the lobbies get better and they add the custom trials mode and crossplay by the end of the year. 

2nd Half Hopefuls 

1.) Metroid Dread- Drops on my birthday, so I might just spend the weekend playing it through if I can talk my wife out of making me do shit. 

2.) Advanced Wars Reboot- Picked up Wargroove last year just to scratch the AW itch, so I'm pretty stoked. 

3.) Super Monkey Ball- mostly cause I hope it has a jukebox mode or a least the tune from super monkey billiards 2 is in the game. That track is tooooo gooooood. Game is dope too 

4.) Psychonauts 2: Really enjoyed the first one despite it kinda playing like ass, so all this one needs to do is keep the sharp wit and tighten up the platforming and it'll be great. 

LOL I completely forgot about gems.  Whoever thought that was a good idea to not only implement but actually put in the final game hopefully was fired for that decision.  And the aesthetics of it as well, how the players glowed.  Everything about it was awful.

15 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL I completely forgot about gems.  Whoever thought that was a good idea to not only implement but actually put in the final game hopefully was fired for that decision.  And the aesthetics of it as well, how the players glowed.  Everything about it was awful.

I think the gems could have been cool if they'd been done better. And to me that's a better way to make the game beginner friendly than dumbing down the entire game. Beginners could use gems/dlc and people who really played the game could have gone naked, or you could have had gems ranked and naked ranked etc. 

Edited by DoctaMario
Just now, DoctaMario said:

I think the gems could have been cool if they'd been done better. And to me that's a better way to make the game beginner friendly than dumbing down the entire game. 

I thought the fact you couldn't turn them off (at least before I stopped playing it) a problem.  Like they built them into the core gameplay which was a huge mistake IMO.

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I thought the fact you couldn't turn them off (at least before I stopped playing it) a problem.  Like they built them into the core gameplay which was a huge mistake IMO.

Agreed. If they'd separated things so that you could choose to play with or without them, I think it would have softened it a bit. Because like I said, the gem system is a good idea especially for beginners if done right. That game did so many things right, and yet Capcom being Capcom they managed to kill it. 

On another note, I'm nearing the end of Ratchet and Clank and I'm sad about that.  I have collected everything you can collect (at least before beating the game) so now I have to just complete it.  I plan on playing it another time to max out the levels of all weapons and stuff.  I probably have like 2/3 of them maxed out at this point.

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I think the gems could have been cool if they'd been done better. And to me that's a better way to make the game beginner friendly than dumbing down the entire game. Beginners could use gems/dlc and people who really played the game could have gone naked, or you could have had gems ranked and naked ranked etc. 

Gems still wouldn't work out in that capacity. Remember when everyone and their grandmother used auto block? DLC versions of those gems were on some pay to win shit.  

Without gems, SFxT is super fun, it's better than SF5 IMO. You get hella flexibility as regards to combos, the roster is dope and it plays a hell of a lot faster than SF4 or SF5. Also, the tag mechanics aren't half bad

I kinda wanna see the current Capcom take another shot at it, since they've redemmed themselves the past few years

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

On another note, I'm nearing the end of Ratchet and Clank and I'm sad about that.  I have collected everything you can collect (at least before beating the game) so now I have to just complete it.  I plan on playing it another time to max out the levels of all weapons and stuff.  I probably have like 2/3 of them maxed out at this point.

I'm not sure how much I have left in Rutchet and Clink but I feel like I'm getting close.  Still have the arena locked for silver and gold though, so I know there's still a good amount to do before the end. But I feel like I'm definitely past the halfway point. Every time i play the game it gets more bad ass.  Definitely a must-have for PS5.

23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Gems still wouldn't work out in that capacity. Remember when everyone and their grandmother used auto block? DLC versions of those gems were on some pay to win shit.  

As far as I know, auto block only works for high/mids right? It won't block lows. Even so, I guess that would just make throws/grapplers more useful. 

All this discussion makes me want to play that game again. I'm bummed my Vita is broken now. 

Edited by DoctaMario
7 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I'm not sure how much I have left in Rutchet and Clink but I feel like I'm getting close.  Still have the arena locked for silver and gold though, so I know there's still a good amount to do before the end. But I feel like I'm definitely past the halfway point. Every time i play the game it gets more bad ass.  Definitely a must-have for PS5.

I can tell you that something in the game triggers the silver arena to open.  It doesn't just open when you finish the bronze.  Same with the gold one.  I didn't have the bronze finished before I saw the silver one open up, and then I finished both bronze and silver and then gold still wasn't opened until a later part in the game.  The shotgun one on bronze was a lot harder than I expected a bronze challenge to be, even with a fully leveled up shotgun.  Then gold has one like that as well.  I got through the gold ones easier than the bronze and silver, although the final gold one is ridiculous lol.

I'm also on the hardest difficulty.  But at the point I'm at, with specific weapons leveled up, the normal battles you get into are pretty much a piece of cake lol.  I just deploy a bunch of stuff and kind of watch and then pick off other enemies as necessary.  And it never gets old.

The amount of shit going on onscreen in R&C with the framerate holding up the whole time is simply incredible.  It's one of those things you really have to experience and see first hand to appreciate.

Edited by purbeast
4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm going to get R&C when it's discounted. The game looks really good. I've only played the PS4 remake of the original game when it comes to this series so I hope I don't get lost in the continuity.

Rift Apart is actually my first Ritchet and Clunk game and I'm able to follow along just fine.  I'm sure having played the series there would be more context with some of the characters, but it isn't necessary.

14 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The shotgun one on bronze was a lot harder than I expected a bronze challenge to be, even with a fully leveled up shotgun. 

Yeah, dude.  That one was a bitch.  I completed all the bronze challenges as soon as they opened up, thinking that's what opened up the higher tiers.  But, like you said, that's not the case.  I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and some of the firefights can get a little hectic.  There are some weapons I haven't been using much though, like the mushroom thing and the plant bomb.  I just got the freeze bomb and that's been super helpful to mitigate the chaos.  I think I should start using the full arsenal of weapons and gadgets.  As i get further into the game I can see that it pushes you to use everything at your disposal.

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Rift Apart is actually my first Ritchet and Clunk game and I'm able to follow along just fine.  I'm sure having played the series there would be more context with some of the characters, but it isn't necessary.

Yeah, dude.  That one was a bitch.  I completed all the bronze challenges as soon as they opened up, thinking that's what opened up the higher tiers.  But, like you said, that's not the case.  I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and some of the firefights can get a little hectic.  There are some weapons I haven't been using much though, like the mushroom thing and the plant bomb.  I just got the freeze bomb and that's been super helpful to mitigate the chaos.  I think I should start using the full arsenal of weapons and gadgets.  As i get further into the game I can see that it pushes you to use everything at your disposal.

Dude the plant sprinkler and Mr. Fungi are probably the 2 best weapons in the game IMO.  Every big battle, where I'm not just trying to level up weapons I haven't leveled up yet, I just deploy those (as well as Glove of Doom) and just kind of sit back.  I have all 3 of those weapons fully leveled up and it's ridiculous what they do to the enemies.  After I have those deployed I just sit back and use one of my weapons I don't have leveled up and just start picking people off with them until I'm out of ammo, then change to another weapon I don't have leveled up.  If I run out of ammo for those weapons, then I change to the big guns that I have leveled up already and clean up,

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Dude the plant sprinkler and Mr. Fungi are probably the 2 best weapons in the game IMO.  Every big battle, where I'm not just trying to level up weapons I haven't leveled up yet, I just deploy those (as well as Glove of Doom) and just kind of sit back. 

I'm gonna have to fucks with those i think.  I've been more running and gunning with the shotgun and pistol, lol.  But I use melee a hell of a lot, too.

13 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I'm gonna have to fucks with those i think.  I've been more running and gunning with the shotgun and pistol, lol.  But I use melee a hell of a lot, too.

Yeah the shotgun is great especially once you get it up to max level.  But it's best for enemies that you are messing with close range.

I honestly haven't even used the regular pistol in a long ass time until last night when I did the final gold challenge, and it was just because you need A LOT of ammo.  When leveled all the way up too, that thing is fast and shoots a lot of bullets doing a lot of damage.

I am the opposite with melee.  I hardly use it lol.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@purbeastWe need to get you in the animated avatar club fam. You were a Rog main right? How about this one?

tenor.gif

Nah.  I hate animated avatars and was actually looking yesterday at how to disable animated gifs on Invasion forum but it's not possible without having to basically hide all gifs.

I may actually just use adblock to hide avatars on this site so i don't have to see them lol.  I want to see what it's like but having to read names without quick recognizing an image may be tough.

I already have the animated background image blocked.

Ive been playing Detroit: Become Human for a few months now.  Yeah, I'm slow with games.  I think the shit is really good.  Its like a point and click adventure game with more stuff to do (control wise) and the story is really cool.  It also look real pretty.  This picture is where I stopped playing the other night.  I was like "damn that is him" all sad like.

spacer.png

I also started a game called Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights.  Its a metroidvania type game.  Seems pretty cool and its nice lookin'.  I'll play a bit see if it keeps my attention.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's because the average person will see it as a privacy issue. 

How is it a privacy issue if it's showing your your IP address?

If you don't want it broadcast, just don't stream.

If you are concerned about people knowing your IP address, pull the plug on your router and you will get a new one when you plug it back in.

The people worried about their "privacy" probably have more information out there on social media they should be worrying about than an IP address.

Since my 3DS was dead yesterday I had to wait until today to play FF4 DS. For a game being 13 years old (god kill me) the game still holds up really well graphically. The voice cast isn’t as bad as I remember either. 

Im not that far in the game yet, maybe an hour or so in? I just got Rydia (BAE! Post Land of the Summoners, obviously) and Tellah. 

I also forgot that in that in this version they changed Cecil’s Darkness ability. In the remake it’s a 3-turn strength buff at the cost of HP when you attack. In the original version it was an attack that hits every enemy at the cost of HP. That was definitely a surprise. 😂

Edited by iStu X

Gems could have been cool done right, the idea reminded me a bit of Arcana Heart's arcana system which is cool as hell, pick your character then slap an arcana on them which gives them additional special moves, supers and passive properties like changing a dash to a run, giving a third jump etc. and changes a few stats with regard to damage and meter gain.

Too bad "Go to the play store to buy your autoblock here" isn't done right.

37 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC FF4DS gets hard as well when you get to final dungeon. FF4 is probably still my favorite game in the series. I probably beat the SNES game at least a dozen times. One of my brother's friends basically memorized the game was speed running it in like 7 hours. 

FF4, FF9, FFX, FFX-2 and FF5 are my top FF’s. If I had to put those in order It would be the same but depending on when you asked me I’d swap 4 and 9

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

As far as I know, auto block only works for high/mids right? It won't block lows. Even so, I guess that would just make throws/grapplers more useful. 

All this discussion makes me want to play that game again. I'm bummed my Vita is broken now. 

That's still bad. That means they can down back all match and not worry about mix ups. It still gives an unfair advantage. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

How is it a privacy issue if it's showing your your IP address?

If you don't want it broadcast, just don't stream.

If you are concerned about people knowing your IP address, pull the plug on your router and you will get a new one when you plug it back in.

The people worried about their "privacy" probably have more information out there on social media they should be worrying about than an IP address.

To the average person an IP address is something that can be tracked. While an IP address has no valuable information I'm sure the idea of the possibly being traced even if just knowing what's your ISP will be enough to make a person paranoid.

35 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

To the average person an IP address is something that can be tracked. While an IP address has no valuable information I'm sure the idea of the possibly being traced even if just knowing what's your ISP will be enough to make a person paranoid.

Well yeah, that is my point.  It's your general person having no clue WTF an IP address really is and how meaningless it is.

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

New Sonic game is trying to be the game that influences the franchise moving forward

https://www.ign.com/articles/sonic-2022-developers-aiming-to-lay-the-foundation-for-future-sonic-games-to-come

That's a shame it's being developer for last gen.  It will definitely be held back in some way due to that.  I mean a 2022 game that has support for consoles developed in the mid 2010's when there is a new generation  just makes me sad.

I wonder what it would be like to have a Sonic game that is "Mario Odyssey" like.

Edited by purbeast
2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

That's a shame it's being developer for last gen.  It will definitely be held back in some way due to that.  I mean a 2022 game that has support for consoles developed in the mid 2010's just makes me sad.

I wonder what it would be like to have a Sonic game that is "Mario Odyssey" like.

Well...rumors floating around is that they're trying to go for an open world Sonic title.  Initial impressions from people who claim they have been QAing the game for the past couple of years has not been positive but we'll see if its true or if they'll actually take feedback and fix issues.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...rumors floating around is that they're trying to go for an open world Sonic title.  Initial impressions from people who claim they have been QAing the game for the past couple of years has not been positive but we'll see if its true or if they'll actually take feedback and fix issues.

Ooooh okay it's been in development that long, then that explains last gen and makes sense.

That is a shame though that it's been bad feedback.  It's tough to take that concept and try to make 3D stages though.  Like he's super fast so you'd have to make the world similar to accommodate for that, and that seems like a challenge to do.  3D sonic in general has been tough to pull off.

Just now, purbeast said:

Ooooh okay it's been in development that long, then that explains last gen and makes sense.

That is a shame though that it's been bad feedback.  It's tough to take that concept and try to make 3D stages though.  Like he's super fast so you'd have to make the world similar to accommodate for that, and that seems like a challenge to do.  3D sonic in general has been tough to pull off.

The people who have been leaking about the QA have been saying the major blemish that they've experienced from playing it is that it gets button mashy...which I'm guessing pertains to how Sonic deals with fighting enemies.  If you've ever played Sonic Heroes then that kinda gives an idea of what it sounds like the issue is when it comes to fighting them  (Personally not a fan of how Sonic Heroes handled fighting enemies...Most enemies should be one and done for a sonic game to keep momentum unless it's a midboss/boss or an enemy that needs to be made vulnerable first before it can be taken out).    Let me try to see if I can pull up those QA accounts I've been reading.

Sonic-Rangers-1.jpg

Sonic-Rangers-2.png

Sonic-Rangers-3.png

Sonic-Rangers-4.png

4chan of course so grain of salt but they called the game Sonic Rangers before the name got leaked and the name lines up with code involving the teaser

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

There's been some debate/arguing online recently on whether Metroid Dread is worth $60.  Kinda feel like the people who are questioning the price haven't really been waiting in the dark scratching their neck for a real 2D metroid fix for the past 19 years.

The real question is how would they know if it was worth it or not? There is one trailer. One. 

Those people should be ignored. 

25 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

The real question is how would they know if it was worth it or not? There is one trailer. One. 

Those people should be ignored. 

The argument against seems to mostly boil down to the game being 2D and comparing it to other Metroid like offers that have been released so far.