Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

I’m honestly surprised Nintendo has bought platinum yet. I get why Platinum isn’t with them cause platinum very much likes the fluidity of being able to pick and choose products.

But you can’t help but think Them and Monolith being under the same roof would create some pretty special titles. 

Edited by iStu X

Do Platinum games even sell on Nintendo platforms? I've got the impression that N's continuing relationship with them was more for hardcore gamer cred than actual sales. Because P*'s games sure as hell look like the sort of titles that the average Switch owner would ignore. Or has the Switch finally broken the trend wherein only first party games sell on Nintendo consoles (which has mostly been the case since the N64)?

43 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Do Platinum games even sell on Nintendo platforms? I've got the impression that N's continuing relationship with them was more for hardcore gamer cred than actual sales. Because P*'s games sure as hell look like the sort of titles that the average Switch owner would ignore. Or has the Switch finally broken the trend wherein only first party games sell on Nintendo consoles (which has mostly been the case since the N64)?

Astral Chain broke over 1m copies sold. Almost 1.2m actually. So I’d say that’s pretty good. Especially when Nintendo and Platinum didn’t expect it to sell that well. 

also, combined with the Wii U version Bayonetta 2 sold over 1m copies as well. So again not that bad. 

Keep in mind those are also sales numbers for their first years of sale on the Switch. It has likely grown but who knows by how much?  Nintendo doesn’t reveal or boasts sales until the end of the fiscal year which is at the end of March. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I was with this until I saw iOS and Android.

10 minutes ago, iStu X said:

From the looks of things it’s a gatcha game.

I find it 99 times out of a 100 it's always a gatcha game on iOS and Android. 
The Free to Play, pay to win formula is still going strong. 

It's why I refuse to hear about out over Mobile being a viable gaming platform. 

At least for PC and Consoles I just have to avoid EA. 

22 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

There was a time where it could have been. 

It still could be if devs gave people a reason to pay for games. The f2p thing only came about by unknown devs trying to get people to try their games. As it is, free to play/pay to unlock is probably the best way for those devs. 

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It still could be if devs gave people a reason to pay for games. The f2p thing only came about by unknown devs trying to get people to try their games. As it is, free to play/pay to unlock is probably the best way for those devs. 

The mobile market is too far gone for that now. Nintendo tried that with Super Mario Run and only got moderate success while Gotcha Fire Emblem was printing money. 

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It's wild to think that a game like Bayonetta is on Switch if you remember back to the SNES era when Nintendo used to censor everything from blood to religious symbols

I'm honestly surprised people think about that. Nintendo has been the most lax on 3rd Party censor ship for over quarter century at this point. I was killing people in Killer Instinct in 1994 and, at time, Nintendo fighting game IP.  I was using the Cerberal Bore to drill into enemies skulls and eject their grey matter in 1998 in Turok 2. Even before Sony went full prude in the late PS4 era. Nintendo gave 3rd parties a wider birth than either Sony or Microsoft. BMX XXX was a shitty game, but the Gamecube version was the only one with nudity. The Xbox and PS2 versions had censor bars.

15 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm honestly surprised people think about that. Nintendo has been the most lax on 3rd Party censor ship for over quarter century at this point. I was killing people in Killer Instinct in 1994 and, at time, Nintendo fighting game IP.  I was using the Cerberal Bore to drill into enemies skulls and eject their grey matter in 1998 in Turok 2. Even before Sony went full prude in the late PS4 era. Nintendo gave 3rd parties a wider birth than either Sony or Microsoft. BMX XXX was a shitty game, but the Gamecube version was the only one with nudity. The Xbox and PS2 versions had censor bars.

This. All of this. Nintendo's puritan image has followed them for far longer then it ever should have considering the freedom they have given devs for well over 20 years at this point. The N64 had fucking DOOM 64 on it. 

DOOM. 

32 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The mobile market is too far gone for that now. Nintendo tried that with Super Mario Run and only got moderate success while Gotcha Fire Emblem was printing money. 

I think it would take all/most devs actually charging for their games to reverse it, but we all know that's not gonna happen. 

Still, for f2p, some of the games have really well done assets. That Castlevania Grimoire Of Souls game would probably be pretty well regarded if they took the assets and turned it into a game people would actually pay money for. 

19 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Fair enough. I skipped out on Nintendo for the GC erau until the DS and even a lot of the DS library seemed aimed at kids with a few mature games in there. So it wasnt even like they had to censor a lot, it's just that most of the games weren't that type of game anyway. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Fair enough. I skipped out on Nintendo for the GC erau until the DS and even a lot of the DS library seemed aimed at kids with a few mature games in there. So it wasnt even like they had to censor a lot, it's just that most of the games weren't that type of game anyway. 

Nintendo stopped censoring  3rd Party games once the Rating System was put into place. MK2, MK3, KI all had fatalities on SNES. Their philosophy is "that's what the rating system is for" If a game gets through the ratings board. Nintendo let's it be published. Some of the N64's most popular games were full of vulgar and violent content. I was chucking toiler paper at a shit monster in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I finally bought Bayonetta.  I been stole it like 5 times.  But it was on sale for real cheap so I decided to support the devs.🤣

That shit NEVER goes on sale in the eShop. It's never dropped below $30 the whole time I've had it on my wishlist which has been probably a year or so. 🙄 

Its 4.99 on Steam.  I think I'm gonna buy Vanquish too cause its 5 bucks.  I stole got that on PS3 a couple times so now I should pay up.  Damn game makes my eyes burn and water so bad though.  I got Mad Max and Deus Ex Mankind Divided too cause they was only 5 bucks.  I try to buy the games I "tested" out when they go on sale.

I'm only a few hours into Scarlet Nexus but that shit is pretty dope so far.  Got a party member now and got some fire powers from her and another psychokinesis move.  Game is fun and its pretty.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
fix typo
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Its 4.99 on Steam.  I think I'm gonna buy Vanquish too cause its 5 bucks.  I stole got that on PS3 a couple times so now I should pay up.  Damn game makes my eyes burn and water so bad though.  I got Mad Max and Deus Ex Mankind Divided too cause they was only 5 bucks.  I try to buy the games I "tested" out when they go on sale.

I'm only a few hours into Scarlet Nexus but that shit is pretty dope so far.  Got a party member now and got some fire powers from her and another psychokinesis move.  Game is fun and its pretty.

I still have my PS3 copy but it runs like shit and I'd rather have it on switch anyway. Fuck steam. 

Spent a couple hours playing Godfall.

I understand why people say it's boring, but I also get why people love it.

It feels like the teams that made GoW and Destiny created an overly generic IP.

For me, the combat seems to be the thing that's keeping me interested.

The title has a decent set of bones, with very little meat to keep the masses  satiated.

Edited by OPTIMUS124

ok yeah, I'm getting further into Scarlet Nexus.... it just keeps getting better/flashier as you unlock more techniques.   Main character has their own simple combos + the telekinesis shenanigans with background objects... but then you get to a point where you temporarily get abilities and power-ups from your allies.  The mixture of all these things makes for some pretty damn awesome stuff, combat-wise.  There's a launcher to follow-up with air combos, a nice dash if you start with a telekinetic slam of an object into an enemy....there's more cinematic moves where you use the telekinesis to grab a larger background object, there's some instant-kill flashy "brain crush" tech.  I'm loving every bit of the action this game is serving up so far.  I have 2 more people that showed up as the main character's allies now... 1 has some defensive power-up that (I guess?) negates all damage for a few hits... then another is some girl that has super-speed.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

ok yeah, I'm getting further into Scarlet Nexus.... it just keeps getting better/flashier as you unlock more techniques.   Main character has their own simple combos + the telekinesis shenanigans with background objects... but then you get to a point where you temporarily get abilities and power-ups from your allies.  The mixture of all these things makes for some pretty damn awesome stuff, combat-wise.  There's a launcher to follow-up with air combos, a nice dash if you start with a telekinetic slam of an object into an enemy....there's more cinematic moves where you use the telekinesis to grab a larger background object, there's some instant-kill flashy "brain crush" tech.  I'm loving every bit of the action this game is serving up so far.  I have 2 more people that showed up as the main character's allies now... 1 has some defensive power-up that (I guess?) negates all damage for a few hits... then another is some girl that has super-speed.

I really want to give new IPs a chance, but time.  Target's got the PS5 version for $49.99 right now. I feel like I've played through everything Godfall has to offer at this point anyway 🤣.

Edited by OPTIMUS124
9 hours ago, iStu X said:

It’s all about Daisy. I love that she’s a huge tomboy but still super elegant 

Cartoon Network GIF by CNLA

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Which is why Luigi is the superior brother 👍🏾

pat morita nod GIF

--------------

But I am glad Pauline made that comeback. She may be one of my mains in Mario Golf. 

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Mario made a mistake

That relationship was doomed to fail. 

When you play Odyssey, you see there some adamosity between Pauline and Mario .
Like that relationship was toxic to Pauline 

11 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Which is why Luigi is the superior brother

Canonically Luigi is the only one who dating a Princess, but Nintendo isn't clear if it's Peach or Daisy 

He also the more logical Brother in the Live Action Super Mario Bros Super Show (With Capt Lou And Danny Wells) 

36 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I hate that I have to have their bloatware on my computer and updated to play games I paid for.  Plus I hate how people give them a pass for how anto-competitive the digital PC marketplace is because of them. 

I wouldn't call steam bloatware. There client actually had a practical function and does it extremely well. 

Valve didn't make Steam anti-competitive. Valve needs to get off it's lazy ass for that to even happen. They are not pulling Epic game style moves out here. 

haha, even back then when the game was knew, I always wondered how Capcom or whoever did the translation got away with naming a character that in the first place.  "Sodom"...it got a cheap laugh out of me every time I saw that character and his name on the screen 🤣  

Age of Calamity--a bit more progress made yesterday; I have Mipha now as well at about level 8 or 9.  Urbosa is still preferred though.