Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I hate that I have to have their bloatware on my computer and updated to play games I paid for.  Plus I hate how people give them a pass for how anto-competitive the digital PC marketplace is because of them. 

I wouldnt call Steam bloatware.  It has a function and it does what it is suppose to and it does it good.  Dont you have to update every other game to be able to play it once whoever pushes an update for a game?

If you hate Steam where do you get your PC games?

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I wouldnt call Steam bloatware.  It has a function and it does what it is suppose to and it does it good.  Dont you have to update every other game to be able to play it once whoever pushes an update for a game?

Yeah, it's not just a client for launching games, it handles store and communication features as well.

Like, I wouldn't mind if I could ditch it, but calling it bloatware seems a bit excessive imo. Does it even take up that much space?

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

On it's own no. It uses up little memory and it doesn't interfere with other processes. 

So the only real negative is the constant client updating, which is frankly a minor nuisance. Vs all the benefits of the Steam platform on speed dial...

Yeah, definitely ain't counting Steam as bloatware like that, it's way too excessive lmao. It's barely bloat to begin with. 🤣

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

So the only real negative is the constant client updating, which is frankly a minor nuisance. Vs all the benefits of the Steam platform on speed dial...

Yeah, definitely ain't counting Steam as bloatware like that, it's way too excessive lmao. It's barely bloat to begin with. 🤣

I always have steam running so updating is never a nuisance. I don't even see it as a problem as at least compared to consoles, Steam won't lock you out of online features if your running an outdated version.

I also always have Steam running.  I dont notice game updates because those are dont automatically.  I do have to update the Steam client here and there but it only takes seconds.

This is Steam running idle on my computer.  Not really impactful.

spacer.png

I like Steam.  I get games from other places too.  GOG and Epic Store.  GOG cause I can get older games easy and Epic Store cause they always want to give me something for free.  Both of those have their own game launcher but I don't use them.

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I like Steam.  I get games from other places too.  GOG and Epic Store.  GOG cause I can get older games easy and Epic Store cause they always want to give me something for free.  Both of those have their own game launcher but I don't use them.

Yeah I get my PC games on Steam and GOG. I'd buy more games on GOG if they were available. I did start using GOG Galaxy a bit more after listening to @misterBeetalk about it. As for EGS, I won't say I'll never use their store front. Never is a long time, but I have zero plans to do so.

6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wouldn't call steam bloatware. There client actually had a practical function and does it extremely well. 

Valve didn't make Steam anti-competitive. Valve needs to get off it's lazy ass for that to even happen. They are not pulling Epic game style moves out here. 

It's absolutely bloatware if it isn't a piece of the operating system that runs the game and it's necessary for me to have it installed to be able to play the games I bought.

And it's not so much that Steam themselves do anti-competitive things, it's that the PC marketplace is such a shit show that they're number one by doing the bare minimum and PC gamers flock to it and fawn over the platform simply because it's the only functional one that has new games.

3 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I don't really play on PC anymore. Steam is such a large portion of the marketplace that if you don't buy from there, your choices are pretty limited and I hate that i have to have a launcher to be able to play games I paid full price for. Before i got my PS4, I'd considered building a gaming computer, but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm good with paying for PS+ because on the games I've double dipped, the connections are better on console and they throw free games at you every month.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Yeah, it's not just a client for launching games, it handles store and communication features as well.

Like, I wouldn't mind if I could ditch it, but calling it bloatware seems a bit excessive imo. Does it even take up that much space?

It has nothing to do with the amount of space or memory it takes up and everything to do that if I delete it, I can't play the games I bought. When I bought a carrier branded Samsung phone, Verizon had a bunch of their apps pre-installed on it. They didn't really take up tons of space but I couldn't get rid of them either. I've had games refuse to load because there'd be some issue with Steam's client. Fuck that.

Edited by DoctaMario
10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It's absolutely bloatware if it isn't a piece of the operating system that runs the game and it's necessary for me to have it installed to be able to play the games I bought.

And it's not so much that Steam themselves do anti-competitive things, it's that the PC marketplace is such a shit show that they're number one by doing the bare minimum and PC gamers flock to it and fawn over the platform simply because it's the only functional one that has new games.

Sounds like you're just a hater just to be a hater.  Probably don't even play games on PC.  Just by what you're sayin' it seems fairly obvious you haven't used Steam much.  Steam doesnt do just the bare minimum.  Steam has a shit load of nifty features that you can use or ignore.

I uninstalled steam when it refused to launch Crimson Clover for me. I went and bought it from GOG where it ran right as rain right from the .exe, and later bought the update for Switch cuz Console >>>PC gaming for me to this day. 

Faltimar sounds more like you just can't handle someone else having different standards for what they do and don't want to install on their Personal Computer. Like yea duh he probably doesnt kbow all the features. People dont tend to dig into things they never wanted in the first place. 

Edited by RSG3

I downloaded steam and a handful of games for a weekend I was doing nothing but traveling and needed my laptop. 

I messed around with a few games and never bothered with it again. I just don’t like PC gaming that much. 

I also use Mac instead of PC and Steam and GOG aren’t exactly Mac friendly. Which again, is fine. I didn’t buy my MacBook for gaming and I never plan on buying a computer for gaming as I don’t see the point in it. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, Volt said:

One thing it does do is hog the controller 1 port with big picture even when you aren't using it.

Was having a hell of a time trying to play non-steam games that were picky about wanting the player 1 controler until I found out that was what was happening. Part of it is Windows shoddyness but steam is equally to blame since that problem has been around for ages and only still is because both Microsoft and Steam haven't been arsed to fix their end of it.

2 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Sounds like you're just a hater just to be a hater.  Probably don't even play games on PC.  Just by what you're sayin' it seems fairly obvious you haven't used Steam much.  Steam doesnt do just the bare minimum.  Steam has a shit load of nifty features that you can use or ignore.

It all boils down to this.

I understand that some might not like the idea that you can't opt out of the Steam Client, but it does bring a lot to the table and rarely gets in the way because it's super lightweight.

3 minutes ago, Iduno said:

One thing it does do is hog the controller 1 port with big picture even when you aren't using it.

Was having a hell of a time trying to play non-steam games that were picky about wanting the player 1 controler until I found out that was what was happening. Part of it is Windows shoddyness but steam is equally to blame since that problem has been around for ages and only still is because both Microsoft and Steam haven't been arsed to fix their end of it.

You can opt out of that. Though yeah, it is a minor nuisance.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

The only thing that makes it bloatware is you simply not wanting it. Otherwise it is an unintrusive program that has a low impact on resources that serves a necessary function. On an objective level that's not bloatware.

That's not Steam's fault. If the other launchers were on Steam's level they would be used. 

Anyone here play Wolfenstein: Youngblood?

Is it any good? I know people had issues with the story or whatever, but is the combat and everything any fun?

Loved the first two games and have been thinking about them lately

Edited by KingTubb
4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Anyone here play Wolfenstein: Youngblood?

Is it any good? I know people had issues with the story or whatever, but is the combat and everything any fun?

Loved the first two games and have been thinking about them lately

That’s the one with the twins yeah? I haven’t really heard anything great about it. Most mixed to negative. 

The game that came before it, New Order is great from what I heard though. 

FPS’s aren’t really my thing so I don’t have much insight 

Just now, iStu X said:

The game that came before it, New Order is great from what I heard though. 

New order and New colossus are both great. Even if you're not a FPS type, they're worth checking out, especially since you can get them on gamepass at this point I reckon  

Aha, I figured as much... regarding Blood Hunt, Outstar mentioned that there will be other clans added later, so it's not going to be JUST those initial 3 (Toreador, Brujah and Nosferatu)....

...sheeeeeiiiiitttt, I'm already hoping for Lasombra, Tremere, Ministry and Tzimisce....those 4 would be my top picks as the most interesting/cool things to be.

23 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

How is it "hating just to hate" when I'm giving reasons why I don't like the platform? Sounds like you're defending just to defend. The only argument anyone has here is "Well, I like it and find it useful, so lol, it's not bloatware." I used to pirate a lot of PC games because there was really no difference in how pirated vs Steam games worked unless there are online features.

20 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The only thing that makes it bloatware is you simply not wanting it. Otherwise it is an unintrusive program that has a low impact on resources that serves a necessary function. On an objective level that's not bloatware.

That's not Steam's fault. If the other launchers were on Steam's level they would be used. 

I shouldn't need a separate interloping piece of software to run games I've paid for, so no,  it's not "objective" that it isn't bloatware.   PC master race types go on about how PC is supposedly this "open" platform compared to console, but it really isn't when you consider that your stuff is just as locked down there as it is on a Sony console. Add to that how Steam's offline mode doesn't/didn't always work the way it's supposed to. 

I get that you like it and that's fine, you're entitled to that, but I don't agree and acting like I'm crazy just because I think it's a bad platform isn't really an argument in its favor.

20 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I going to tell you right now, that an issue with the game and not steam. 

It's happened with SF4, GG+R, and SamShoVSp. So unless all those games have the same issue, I'd be more inclined to believe it's the interloping marketplace software that's the problem.

Edited by DoctaMario
16 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I shouldn't need a separate interloping piece of software to run games I've paid for, so no,  it's not "objective" that it isn't bloatware.   PC master race types go on about how PC is supposedly this "open" platform compared to console, but it really isn't when you consider that your stuff is just as locked down there as it is on a Sony console. Add to that how Steam's offline mode doesn't/didn't always work the way it's supposed to

Steam was initially develop to provide automatic updates to Counter strike so players wouldn't have to manually download and install them every time there's a new update. I'm not trying to go back to those dark ages. It's not like modern games will updates themselves without the assistance of external clients like steam. 

But with a PC I do have a lot of freedoms.  Look at these games -

spacer.png

Those games are from GOG, Steam, Epic Store, Humble Bundle and other a place or two more and some not so legit places.  In any case I have the freedom to do just about whatever I want with all those games.  I only have to use a launcher for the ones I choose.  Ones I want achievements for or games I want to play online.  I can share those games with anyone as many times as I want.  I can put them on any other computer and they'll run if the computer is capable of running them.

Also, I just made that gif using my PC...the PC I game on.  I can do even more than that.  I can make videos and shit too.  Plus anything else a computer can do.  Freedoms of PC gaming are not restricted to gaming.  Many other benefits from gaming on PC.

Its not like I hate on consoles.  I use to play on them all the time cause they were the better option for me.  I love my PS3 and use it every day and its jailbroken/hacked so its pretty loaded.  But you are limited on consoles and a lot of the games you play on console now require you to download something before being able to play the game...an update or whatever or you have to install a big portion of the game on the HDD/SSD before playing.

Its the nature of the beast.  If I could get a PS5 for a fraction of the price I paid for my PC I'd get one.  I cant so I go without.

Edit - I mean, shit, we all play the same games pretty much anyway.  All but a handful of exclusives here and there.

Edit 2 - I'm also a person that is not really concerned with having physical media.  I don't care about cases and shit.  I'm not a collector.   I just wanna play the game.  Digital is for me.  Having everything in one place in a small box is nice.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

PC master race types go on about how PC is supposedly this "open" platform compared to console, but it really isn't when you consider that your stuff is just as locked down there as it is on a Sony console.

Ok, I got a question. Is this a console war argument?

You keep mentioning how PC players talk about Steam and PCs compared to consoles and that kinda doesn't have anything to whether or not Steam is a bloatware or not.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Steam was initially develop to provide automatic updates to Counter strike so players wouldn't have to manually download and install them every time there's a new update. I'm not trying to go back to those dark ages. It's not like modern games will updates themselves without the assistance of external clients like steam. 

That's fine. But that's not a reason to need an extra piece of software just to run games. The game itself could provide that without Steam.

59 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

But you are limited on consoles and a lot of the games you play on console now require you to download something before being able to play the game...an update or whatever or you have to install a big portion of the game on the HDD/SSD before playing.

Edit - I mean, shit, we all play the same games pretty much anyway.  All but a handful of exclusives here and there.

Yeah but there's a difference between an update and another piece of software that's not part of the the game or the operating system. It would be like Wal Mart making you download their app to be able to buy a tv from there and if you don't, you don't get to use the tv even if you paid for it.

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

Ok, I got a question. Is this a console war argument?

You keep mentioning how PC players talk about Steam and PCs compared to consoles and that kinda doesn't have anything to whether or not Steam is a bloatware or not.

It's not at all, and I only mentioned how PC players talk about Steam once because it was pertinent to my argument and think it's just as hilarious as when people stan for console makers that hard.

I just think Steam is a crummy platform and I used to play on PC almost exclusively before i got a PS4 in 2018.