Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

11 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Looking at the specs they didn't change much. OLED screen, lan port and doubling the internal storage is about it. I don't understand upgrading the screen but not the resolution. Why is it still using Bluetooth 4.1? We on Bluetooth 5 now. 

From understanding portable mode tops out a 720p. So without patching nothing would be native. Plus there doesn't seem to be any power upgrade to push the extra pixels.

44 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

All the Nintendo Switch Pro ‘insiders’ looking pretty quiet right now.

Yeah 4k has never made sense on the Switch.  It barely gets 1080p @ 60fps.  It's nowhere near powerful enough to output 4k and would require a pretty significant overhaul to get that much more power.  

More importantly, it doesn't render base Switch irrelevant.

So games will still run as optimally on both.

Honestly, Nintendo wasn't ever going to win on the graphics department, so a small revision like this was a good play. They'd pretty much need to make a whole new console to push 4K and honestly, I'd rather have them push for 60fps instead. We definitely ain't seeing either though.

Just the confirmation I don't need to worry about Prime 4 running like shit on base Switch is enough to make me really happy about this.

4K technically is possible if Nintendo and Nvidia teamed up with their upscaling AI  tech but the goodness of that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is cheap and wants every dollar they can earn out of everything they sell.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me seems like they haven't changed nothing with the Joycon besides making this new white color. I really wanted them to fix the Joycon drift stuff if this does that then they go my money.

10 minutes ago, Wellman said:

4K technically is possible if Nintendo and Nvidia teamed up with their upscaling AI  tech but the goodness of that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is cheap and wants every dollar they can earn out of everything they sell.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me seems like they haven't changed nothing with the Joycon besides making this new white color. I really wanted them to fix the Joycon drift stuff if this does that then they go my money.

Achieve 4K via super sampling?

BDSP confirmed to be on that polishing state. Low key liked the darker rocks more, made it stand out from the blandness of SwSh's artstyle, but I'll wait for some real footage before talking a lot about that game.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Fuckin finally

Dunno if its 4k though or not

LOL that a wired LAN port is one of the "upgrades." Still good that they're doing it, but it would be nice to see them make the thing more ergonomic to play in handheld mode. I have a cover for me and it helps, but it's still not the easiest thing to hold especially if you're playing a game that uses the sticks. This'll be nice for people that don't already have a Switch, but it's not a must-buy upgrade imo.

50 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Admit it is a good game!!!!

It’s not though. It’s waaaaaay fucking better than Sun/Moon series but it’s still not a good game.

The only good thing sun and moon did is give us some awesome lore. They did an awesome job with the lore of the region. 

I don’t give a shit about any of the controversies like dexit and “bad graphics” SW/SH had. It’s just a badly designed game and a phoned in region. 

Edited by iStu X
6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Higher resolutions would be harsher on the battery and the Switch only gets 3 to 4 hours as it is. 

Higher resolution for the Switch even with those slightly better specs would be a big mistake. 

The latest Switch model gets much more than 3-4 hours.  The OG launch ones get 3-4 hours.  Newer (current) model gets double that.

Anyone actually looking for the Switch itself to be 4K was kidding themselves.  I was hoping that if they were going to do a 'Pro' or "New" system that most the power would be coming from a new dock.  720p on the go is perfectly fine with me and I'd rather keep my battery life.   Better yet though if they want they could make with the the higher res screen and then give it options to lower the res for people who care less about that on the go and would like to be able to play their games for more than Game Gear battery life cycle.   I'm hoping that this shit kills anymore rumor talk but I'm betting in the next 6 months someone's gonna be like 'I HAVE IT ON HIGH AUTHORITY THAT THERE'S STILL AN ACTUAL PRO COMING' and I'm just gonna go bang my head on the wall repeatedly.

31 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Anyone actually looking for the Switch itself to be 4K was kidding themselves.  I was hoping that if they were going to do a 'Pro' or "New" system that most the power would be coming from a new dock.  720p on the go is perfectly fine with me and I'd rather keep my battery life.   Better yet though if they want they could make with the the higher res screen and then give it options to lower the res for people who care less about that on the go and would like to be able to play their games for more than Game Gear battery life cycle.   I'm hoping that this shit kills anymore rumor talk but I'm betting in the next 6 months someone's gonna be like 'I HAVE IT ON HIGH AUTHORITY THAT THERE'S STILL AN ACTUAL PRO COMING' and I'm just gonna go bang my head on the wall repeatedly.

6 months from now is practically 5 years since launch. We are in successor territory now. They got me with the okay doke on this one. I'll stick to my better judgment from here on out.

yeah 4k just doesn't seem necessary on such a small screen, imo. 

I'm definitely pre-ordering this shit too, since the "new normal" these days is that you just CAN'T get a goddamn system until at least 2+ years after the damn launch.  I can't even recall the last time I've seen the recent-gen systems in stores anymore no more X1 or PS4s --- all I've seen in stores the last year or so has been Switch Lite. (haha and usually in a lame color no one wants...which is probably why the shit is still sitting there.)

Random shit---whoever owns that IP should bring back Monday Night Combat.  That was one of the greatest things ever released on the 360 "Live Arcade".  It was seemingly the hero-shooter grandaddy....the co-op there made for some classic good times.  There's matches I had with friends that I still remember as if it were yesterday.  I was a big fan of playing the support character; on top of healing he had the ability to hack turrets and base defenses to make them better on your side or turn enemy turrets and things against them.  

Knowing what I know now, I should have doubted the 4K scenario. I overestimated DLSS. 1080p to 4K with DLSS is a noticeable downgrade over native. And DLSS can't just be toggled on. The developer has to send images to Nvidia so they can "train the AI" to upscale the game. FSR is not as good as DLSS, but its biggest strength is it's far easier to implement. That said neither solution would be idea for 1080p to 4K. And upscaling from 720p is basically a waste of time currently. It's hard to upscale 720p to 1080p without a noticeable drop off. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

IF the Pro ever end exist, it'll likely focus on framerate instead of resolution because it's gonna be cheaper and let's be honest, to gun for that 4k experience, they might as well make a brand new console.

A Switch Pro with 60fps and same resolution as the regular (or 1080/60 for portable and docked) could be nice, but even then, battery would be a concern.

Honestly, I don't see it happening soon. We just got the "XL" equivalent.

Nintendo has been out of that silly arms race, and that's for the better tbh. The Switch is nothing short of brilliant, let's see how they move from there.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm sure the 4K was speculated for the TV output not the handheld screen.

haha, I keep forgetting, actually... my bias in favor of portable gaming got in the way of even considering the other way to play Switch there.  Mannnn, my system dock is still somewhere in a room collecting dust. 😆

*Another old icon someone should bring back---Earthworm Jim.  That was such a great character design, imo... and I couldn't get enough of that game back then... I had the SNES version.  The animation was some top-tier shit at the time; I'd put it in the same league with the Aladdin game that was on Genesis.

44 minutes ago, MillionX said:

haha, I keep forgetting, actually... my bias in favor of portable gaming got in the way of even considering the other way to play Switch there.  Mannnn, my system dock is still somewhere in a room collecting dust. 😆

*Another old icon someone should bring back---Earthworm Jim.  That was such a great character design, imo... and I couldn't get enough of that game back then... I had the SNES version.  The animation was some top-tier shit at the time; I'd put it in the same league with the Aladdin game that was on Genesis.

I doubt almost any studio could pull off Earthworm Jim while still having a really great graphical style inspired by the original 2d art. I remember the 3d game looking super bland. Pretty much only ArcSys could make it actually look amazing probably lol. I guess they could just make a 2d sequel

42 minutes ago, Gasarocky said:

I doubt almost any studio could pull off Earthworm Jim while still having a really great graphical style inspired by the original 2d art. I remember the 3d game looking super bland. Pretty much only ArcSys could make it actually look amazing probably lol. I guess they could just make a 2d sequel

WayForward can do it. They have extensive experience with sprites