Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

WayForward can do it. They have extensive experience with sprites

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Dotemu, Tribute Games, Wayforward, Yacht Club, IntiCreates and Behemoth immediately come to mind. 

Sorry, I didn't phrase it clearly but I meant a new EWJ in 3d graphics inspired by the style of the original 2d game. If it was truly just 2d then yeah I'd agree with all of your examples, with some caveats maybe.

19 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Playtonic and team 17

I don't think they'd really get it right without it just being generic cartoon-ish/pixar style rendering. Like in that case I'd say the Ratchet and Clank devs would be best, they even already do platformer/shooter hybrids like I imagine EWJ would probably be similar to, but I feel like the graphical style is way off. 

To clarify further, I really was emphasizing the look of the rendering style of the game and like, it's cover art and such. That like more gritty style of "cartoon-ish" 

1 hour ago, Gasarocky said:

I don't think they'd really get it right without it just being generic cartoon-ish/pixar style rendering. Like in that case I'd say the Ratchet and Clank devs would be best, they even already do platformer/shooter hybrids like I imagine EWJ would probably be similar to, but I feel like the graphical style is way off. 

To clarify further, I really was emphasizing the look of the rendering style of the game and like, it's cover art and such. That like more gritty style of "cartoon-ish" 

I don’t really think you know what you want. All you’re doing is moving goal posts over and over again

Edited by iStu X
14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

How bad is that OLED screen gonna abuse the battery life of the Switch PrOLED?

Not much probably the oleds don't use a backlight the pixels light on their own. 

This upgrade will do for me since I gave my switch to my little nephews I don't own one anymore but I'm sure is going to be more expensive so I dunno, Zelda botw is like 50 bucks still wtf?! This is what turns me off I could the get the more expensive hardware no problem if I could get it with a good bundle of games but not at these prices sorry that's alot of money to throw. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede

I might look at getting a new dock, but my original day Juan Switch is still perfectly fine for me. I don't play it handheld at all so an extra 0.8 inches of screen real estate would be useless, and even the improved battery life of the updated OG model doesn't do anything for me. Having a LAN port could be useful though. And it comes in a black version to match my switch, so that's cool.

Edited by Chadouken
Unfortunate autocorrect.
38 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

Not much probably the oleds don't use a backlight the pixels light on their own. 

This upgrade will do for me since I gave my switch to my little nephews I don't own one anymore but I'm sure is going to be more expensive so I dunno, Zelda botw is like 50 bucks still wtf?! This is what turns me off I could the get the more expensive hardware no problem if I could get it with a good bundle of games but not at these prices sorry that's alot of money to throw. 

You literally may just missed out, they had a few sales at Best Buy, Game Stop and I want to say Amazon plus a few other stores that were selling BotW and few other popular Nintendo games at $40. Nintendo be like Scrooge with their prices so these types of sales are more retail driven but can sometimes pop up around big sale events. 

Would be surprised if it doesn't sale at that price before the year ends. Other then bundles that is the cheapest you will get on the popular games.

29 minutes ago, Wellman said:

You literally may just missed out, they had a few sales at Best Buy, Game Stop and I want to say Amazon plus a few other stores that were selling BotW and few other popular Nintendo games at $40. Nintendo be like Scrooge with their prices so these types of sales are more retail driven but can sometimes pop up around big sale events. 

Would be surprised if it doesn't sale at that price before the year ends. Other then bundles that is the cheapest you will get on the popular games.

40 is too much for a game that came out 4 years ago, why Nintendo doesn't offer a greatest hit label like they used to. What was it? Player's choice? I think. It's getting harder and harder for me to get into Nintendo games when the competition is offering more for less. 

Anyway I really want to play the new metroid dred so that's one game I could pay full price BOTW could wait until is 25 at least or 4 more years from now. 

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Ooh, another MAximus Cup! Gonna have to bring my Switch to work and bang it out there since we don't have internet at the house yet. I hope they do a Metroid themed one, that would be pretty hype, especially with how good some of the more recent themes have been.

50 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

40 is too much for a game that came out 4 years ago, why Nintendo doesn't offer a greatest hit label like they used to. What was it? Player's choice? I think. It's getting harder and harder for me to get into Nintendo games when the competition is offering more for less. 

Anyway I really want to play the new metroid dred so that's one game I could pay full price BOTW could wait until is 25 at least or 4 more years from now. 

Player's Choice used to be something that would show up roughly halfway through the Nintendo's console life but in most recent years it's been showing up later.  If the console is successful and wildly so and the games are still selling  (if you pay attention to the NPD that I post here...you'd know from a business sense why BotW and especially MK8D aren't dropping in price anytime soon) then there's no reason to expect a price drop.  Those games WILL drop at some point but I wouldn't expect it until we're near 2-3 years near the end of the Switch's lifecycle...MAYBE.  You're just gonna have to catch a retail or digital sale for the game when it happens.

1 hour ago, rukawa_kaede said:

The fact that BOTW is still a top 20 selling console game (across all consoles)  every month in 4 years after it's launch actually proves you wrong that $40 is not too much for the game or else it wouldn't still be selling like hotcakes, 4 years after launch.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Player's Choice used to be something that would show up roughly halfway through the Nintendo's console life but in most recent years it's been showing up later.  If the console is successful and wildly so and the games are still selling  (if you pay attention to the NPD that I post here...you'd know from a business sense why BotW and especially MK8D aren't dropping in price anytime soon) then there's no reason to expect a price drop.  Those games WILL drop at some point but I wouldn't expect it until we're near 2-3 years near the end of the Switch's lifecycle...MAYBE.  You're just gonna have to catch a retail or digital sale for the game when it happens.

NPD?

45 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The fact that BOTW is still a top 20 selling console game (across all consoles)  every month in 4 years after it's launch actually proves you wrong that $40 is not too much for the game or else it wouldn't still be selling like hotcakes, 4 years after launch.

do you have actual numbers to prove this? All AAA titles drop in price withing a year or less why Nintendo games don't do the same

37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Pretty sure he meant on a personal level...like not worth 40 dollars to him. 

Amoubt of content provided games worth full price but personal preferences an all. 

right, i mean i could be wrong maybe botw is still selling alot of copies but that doesn't give me a good reason to pay 40 bucks for it. I haven't played a zelda game since ocarina of time which i didn't like that much anyway, i prefer 2D zeldas but this one got me interested for some reason yet i can't bring myself to pay that amount of money for it.

9 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

All AAA titles drop in price withing a year or less why Nintendo games don't do the same

He posts the numbers every single month. Nintendo IPs are notorious for holding their value. Mario Kart 8 is still full price and older then BOTW and selling better to boot. 

9 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

right, i mean i could be wrong maybe botw is still selling alot of copies but that doesn't give me a good reason to pay 40 bucks for it.

Well yes and no. On a personal level sure, but anything beyond that is honestly a hard no. The game still sells at top dollar so the marke as well as the majority of consumers in that market disagrees with you. 

And to be honest with you Nintendo first party software retaining value years after launch is the normal. I'm not really sure why you are all that surprised when every Nintendo game retains value for years. Go and try to buy some first party GameCube games for "a reasonable price." I dare you lol. 

Edited by RSG3
15 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

do you have actual numbers to prove this? All AAA titles drop in price withing a year or less why Nintendo games don't do the same

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/06/may_2021_npd_resident_evil_village_is_second_best-selling_game_of_2021

Why would Nintendo drop the price to $40 if it's selling just fine at $60?  They are in the business of making as much money as they can.

You also have to keep in mind that is physical only.  It's safe to assume there will also be a large number of digital sales.

Edited by purbeast
12 hours ago, iStu X said:

I don’t really think you know what you want. All you’re doing is moving goal posts over and over again

Nah I just never explained it clearly enough, what I was imagining in my head was always the same

Edited by Gasarocky
16 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

He posts the numbers every single month. 

Well yes and no. On a personal level sure, but anything beyond that is honestly a hard no. The game still sells at top dollar so the marke as well as the majority of consumers in that market disagrees with you. 

And to be honest with you Nintendo first party software retaining value years after launch is the normal. I'm not really sure why you are all that surprised when every Nintendo game retains value for years. Go and try to buy some first party GameCube games for "a reasonable price." I dare you lol. 

and that was my mistake,last nintendo console i owned on release was the N64, I never got a gamecube,wii. I got a wiiu for cheap but sold it to my cousin not too long after i got it. I got a switch and passed it to my nephews like two years after i bought it. Should probably reconsider if nintendo consoles are worth my time or not.

43 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Because they don’t need to. 

cool

36 minutes ago, purbeast said:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/06/may_2021_npd_resident_evil_village_is_second_best-selling_game_of_2021

Why would Nintendo drop the price to $40 if it's selling just fine at $60?  They are in the business of making as much money as they can.

You also have to keep in mind that is physical only.  It's safe to assume there will also be a large number of digital sales.

I see but being quite honest i don't really care about nintendo first party games for the most part outside of metroids and zeldas there isn't much else for me.  I was just disappointed i couldn't get more games for my nephews when most games even mediocre ones where above 40 bucks.

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Eh? I just bought Hades for 33 bucks brand new with the plastic wrap still on it. Lots of games are under 40 these days, even brand new. 

hades is rated T, that's the thing my nephews are less than 10 years old. I'd get them T games if they were my children but in this case my brother or my sister in low would have not allowed it. You can get some other none NFP games for cheap but they're mostly T and up.

4 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

hades is rated T, that's the thing my nephews are less than 10 years old. I'd get them T games if they were my children but in this case my brother or my sister in low would have not allowed it. You can get some other none NFP games for cheap but they're mostly T and up.

My point was games are available for less then 40.