Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Diablo 3---Ok, sometimes the game itself seems to be trolling me with the damn drop rate... and it's weird because normally, this is the most "generous" game I've ever played in terms of loot drops... but this season, my character is paragon 258 so far... STILL no 6th piece of the goddamn Firebird set (the helm).  It apparently drops for everyone else except me at the moment....all other fans have probably been living it up with this re-worked set for about a month at this point, or however old this season is now.  I keep upgrading the rare helms and still...nothing... I keep bumping up the difficulty (up to T11 now) which increases the drop chance of things... nope.  All this does is keep diminishing my incentive to keep playing the damn season.... I may actually just go back to my "regular" characters since I already have the set there. (*regular characters cannot share loot with "seasonal" ones)  Really... I'm actually getting every other set EXCEPT that 1 final piece of the set I want. edit---aha, I forgot... I could just go for the "royal ring" so I don't have to get the 6th piece anyway...heh, yeah there's my plan now...

Edit---YEP... I had a royal ring already in the inventory box... now I have the fully glory of that Firebird power on top of some Tal Rasha set bonus!  The results here are already insane.... instant god status.

On another note---more easy MS reward stuff--- there's a "Top 10: Bethesda Edition" challenge as of yesterday or day before... you get 500 just for getting any achievement in certain games (fallout 76, Rage 2, Prey, ESO, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Doom Eternal, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein II and Dishonored 2).... I managed to get an achievement in ESO this morning for that.

...then there's another easy 1000 for "AAPI Heritage Month".... 500 per any achievement x 2.... so that's 1,550 right there, since there's always that general daily 50 points you get for achievements.

Edited by MillionX
5 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

In terms of hard to get off the top of my head, the hardest to easiest I believe seemed like

PS5/PS3/PS2/PS4/PS1

PS3 for me was super easy to find. Though I didn’t buy one until the slim came out. (I don’t mean the Super Slim/Slide Top. I mean the actual slim. Those super slims were absolute garbage and would break so easily)

Edited by iStu X

nah, this era of ps5/xbx has been the toughest to actually get a system.  I've never had a problem buying a system in past generations... I never bought ps4, but I remember seeing those everywhere you can get games, so I assume it would've been easy to get that too.

It's fortunate that there's already so many good games on what's now considered "last gen"... it makes it that much easier to just give up on getting these new consoles for a while.  At this point I don't expect to get ps5 and/or new xbox until possibly next year at the earliest.  It will be frustrating, yet funny if it's still the same shitty situation in 2022 and beyond.

heh, I also waited until PS3 Slim before I got mine... and it was just as easy to get as the 360... on a random weekend I just decided it was time, and went over to the local Best Buy...and that was that... I was back home minutes later with my new system and Demons Souls.  It irks the hell out of me the more I think about what has happened here... the simple, luxurious act of buying a new game system has become a hassle.....mannn fuck THAT.

Edited by MillionX

well this is strange... on the XB store, there's a game called Fantasy Gunner Adventure, currently on sale for 1.99.  The way this game looks...you'd think that's the normal price, but nope---regular price is $29.99... bruh... I hate to be mean but c'mon, man...

this is 30 bucks normally?  it's not like it looks like Fallout 76-levels of terrible...but 30 for this? 

Yeah, this is maybe a once-in-a-lifetime scenario where a global pandemic is pushing supply down (through chip shortages) and demand up to insane levels. Pond scum scalpers are in heaven, because there is no foreseeable end to this very real dip in supply. Sony just said short supply is going to last well into next year at the least or something. We're going to have to deal with these scalping assholes for a while. But truth is, I don't know how much of the shortage is them and how much is legitimate increased demand from people at home.

Edited by axeman61
13 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Yeah, this is maybe a once-in-a-lifetime scenario where a global pandemic is pushing supply down (through chip shortages) and demand up to insane levels. Pond scum scalpers are in heaven, because there is no foreseeable end to this very real dip in supply. Sony just said short supply is going to last well into next year at the least or something. We're going to have to deal with these scalping assholes for a while. But truth is, I don't know how much of the shortage is them and how much is legitimate increased demand from people at home.

Every time you see one for sale, massively marked up, it is the cuntbag scalpers.

It ought to be really easy to quantify.

17 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

In terms of hard to get off the top of my head, the hardest to easiest I believe seemed like

PS5/PS3/PS2/PS4/PS1

It is funny.

Gaming was still something to be "shunned", by the normies, as "uncool", by their social programing, when the PS1 launched. It wasn't hard to aquire at all.

The 2 was fucking stooooopid hard to get early on, and had disk drive breakage issues with the first runs even if you did get one. Regardless, I wasn't willing to upgrade until SC2 and CvS2 were both out on it.

The PS3 was moderately hard to get in the beginning, due to its Backward Comp, but the absurd Neo-Geo Lite price tag coupled with MS's success at converting normies to gaming via the 360, still took down a lot of its initial fire. I myself waited for the MGS4 Special Edition.

I got a 4 when I wanted it... basically once Diablo 3 came out on it. It was a BF, and I got it easily, and I got it cheap, at Target.

There is literally nothing out on the PS5 currently, that could compel me to actively seek one out. I played DeSo to death on the PS3. Everything else that is even passing interesting on the 5, is also a "Last Gen" release. At this point the PS5 is more of a "side-grade", than anything. Those load times are certainly nice in comparison with a vanilla PS4, but they're not compelling enough for me to upgrade from a suped-up, Pro with an SSD in it.

The fact that I have the better Switch version, and a Lite, also helps mitigate the PS5 shortage into complete and utter irrelevance. Then there is my PS4 backlog...

Edited by JHDK

If Sega still haven't got their shit together with Sonic 3 they can quite frankly shove it where the sun don't shine.

Fucking crazy they managed to fuck up with music rights to a game in their flagship franchise back at it's peak no less.

14 minutes ago, Iduno said:

If Sega still haven't got their shit together with Sonic 3 they can quite frankly shove it where the sun don't shine.

Fucking crazy they managed to fuck up with music rights to a game in their flagship franchise back at it's peak no less.

From my understanding by reading the leaks I’ve read the collection will have Sonic 3 and S&K but they will not have the Michael Jackson produced tracks. 

53 minutes ago, iStu X said:

From my understanding by reading the leaks I’ve read the collection will have Sonic 3 and S&K but they will not have the Michael Jackson produced tracks. 

Whats the point of having a Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles if they don't have the actual sound tracks?

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Games are more then just their music? 

No, but I want the whole experience, Not just piece meal

What if I took out all the iconic Mortal Kombat music, is it still Mortal Kombat?

Same can me said about any series. 

27 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Iirc MJ only produced a few of the tracks anyways. Snow Cap and Carnival

That isn't entirely clear. Theory is that they sound similar to some of MJ's previous songs.
To this day Sega and the MJ estate are very tight lipped who actually worked on what and what actually happened. 

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/did-michael-jackson-write-music-sonic-hedgehog-3/

26 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

That isn't entirely clear. Theory is that they sound similar to some of MJ's previous songs.
To this day Sega and the MJ estate are very tight lipped who actually worked on what and what actually happened. 

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/did-michael-jackson-write-music-sonic-hedgehog-3/

I don’t actually care. I was just making conversation. I don’t really like or care about Sonic as a game series. Very few of the titles are genuinely worth playing to me. I also find their fan base to be either very troubled masochists or just in a deep state of denial about how much Sonic (and Sega as a whole) sucks 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

No, but I want the whole experience, Not just piece meal

What if I took out all the iconic Mortal Kombat music, is it still Mortal Kombat?

Same can me said about any series

Yea which is fine, but you said what's the point. A game is a game at the end of the day. A lot of games even offer alternate sound track variations, Ys is known for this. 

I own enough copies of Sonic 3 (1-3&K really) that I can't say i really care about any releases of those games anymore anyway. 

So I feel you but it's also kind of a silly all or nuthin position for a lot of people that aren't you or I for whatever reason...so...whats the point? A games more then just it's OST, there are lots of good reasons besides the music to play if you want to. *shrug*

After clearing RE3:R on Hardcore in under 2 hours, I am now finally taking on Hollow Knight in-between my adventures in Fallout 4.

I really like it.

I got to the first boss, at like half life, and almost beat him the first try, but got 8-bit cornered. I was literally within 1-2 hits of killing him, though. I know this because I killed him on the second go.

I like it a lot thus far.

I kind of hate having nothing to spend my money on right now, though. 500 coin and nary an item to purchase.

Edited by JHDK
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Iirc MJ only produced a few of the tracks anyways. Snow Cap and Carnival

I could be and likely am wrong though. 

The tracks that have the most trouble do include those 2 that you mentioned as well as Launch Base,  Knux's S3 theme and the Act 1 boss theme from S3.  I played the PC version of S3K alot back in the day and didn't even realize for some time until later on that those tracks had been replaced with arguably inferior versions ( I've seen some people say they prefer them...I'm not one of them).  Except for Ice Cap...Ice Cap I think is more so an issue with Brad Buxer's  band (...or track that he produced...not 100% on this) from back then since the arrangement was pretty much ripped from one of their songs...sort of like what Nakamura did with his tracks for S1 and S2 except I'm guessing Sega got that straight with him.  The tracks they use mostly came from prototype arrangements that they had before Michael I assume. 

Honestly I'm wondering if they could just do some sort of loophole and just get Tee Lopes to just remix the whole OST or something but I'm going to assume someone over there probably has to have thought of this and there probably some sort of paperwork involved that Sega just doesn't want to deal with. 

Interestingly enough though Sega had to have been wishy washy on doing ports or rereleasing 3K previous because the PC port was pretty early since that got released back in 2/14/1997 but had no issues rereleasing the game unaltered on the DS, Wii VC, Sonic Mega Collection.  The game was also released with Sonic Jam, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and on Xbox Live arcade but I don't know if the music was altered for those versions or not.  So if I had to hazard a guess...When people started really digging in and doing research into the Michael Jackson connection within the last decade they started getting wary again.

On 5/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, MillionX said:

Diablo 3---Ok, sometimes the game itself seems to be trolling me with the damn drop rate... and it's weird because normally, this is the most "generous" game I've ever played in terms of loot drops... but this season, my character is paragon 258 so far... STILL no 6th piece of the goddamn Firebird set (the helm).  It apparently drops for everyone else except me at the moment....all other fans have probably been living it up with this re-worked set for about a month at this point, or however old this season is now.  I keep upgrading the rare helms and still...nothing... I keep bumping up the difficulty (up to T11 now) which increases the drop chance of things... nope.  All this does is keep diminishing my incentive to keep playing the damn season.... I may actually just go back to my "regular" characters since I already have the set there. (*regular characters cannot share loot with "seasonal" ones)  Really... I'm actually getting every other set EXCEPT that 1 final piece of the set I want. edit---aha, I forgot... I could just go for the "royal ring" so I don't have to get the 6th piece anyway...heh, yeah there's my plan now...

Edit---YEP... I had a royal ring already in the inventory box... now I have the fully glory of that Firebird power on top of some Tal Rasha set bonus!  The results here are already insane.... instant god status.

On another note---more easy MS reward stuff--- there's a "Top 10: Bethesda Edition" challenge as of yesterday or day before... you get 500 just for getting any achievement in certain games (fallout 76, Rage 2, Prey, ESO, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Doom Eternal, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein II and Dishonored 2).... I managed to get an achievement in ESO this morning for that.

...then there's another easy 1000 for "AAPI Heritage Month".... 500 per any achievement x 2.... so that's 1,550 right there, since there's always that general daily 50 points you get for achievements.

Do you have an extra copy of any of the other pieces of the set?

If so, then rerolling one of them in the cube is far faster.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I don’t actually care.

You brought it up. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I also find their fan base to be either very troubled masochists or just in a deep state of denial about how much Sonic (and Sega as a whole) sucks 

There nothing good after Sonic and Knuckles till Mania appears, unless you want to count Sonic R.

40 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea which is fine, but you said what's the point. A game is a game at the end of the day. A lot of games even offer alternate sound track variations,

Which is funny no one got Genesis sound reproduction right yet on emulation. Which is what most of the ports are, emulation. Even M2 struggled with this in their AGES and Genesis Classic work.

Guess there something to be said about original hardware. 

40 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Ys is known for this. 

I think Nihon Falcom just likes to do arrange versions and remakes. 

36 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I played the PC version of S3K alot back in the day and didn't even realize for some time until later on that those tracks had been replaced with arguably inferior versions

It was a technical and not legal reasons. To make sure the game sounds and music was compatible with the majority of PC sound cards at the time, concessions had to be made.  They couldn't get the Genesis sound working in the PC, and used Midi files for the tracks. The General MIDI standard didn't support some of the sampled sound effects the Genesis game used. 

Sega actually sucks at getting anything Genesis to work on non Genesis hardware. Look how bad the Smash pack (vol 1) was on the Dreamcast. It used a commonly available PC emulator at the time at it's core to work. 

Best part of the PC version is the screen saver
https://archive.org/details/SONICSS

Edited by DarkSakul
27 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Do you have an extra copy of any of the other pieces of the set?

If so, then rerolling one of them in the cube is far faster.

Even re-rolling the extra wasn't giving me that helm... but I "kinda" solved the problem by just using a Royal Ring of Grandeur.... so I can get the 6-piece bonus while only having 5 pieces.  There's 1 crucial Necromancer item I recall that was the same way for me last season... the shit never dropped until I had several hundred paragon levels in on the character....ah I remember now---"Haunted Visions" I think is the name (and I think that build is kinda gimped if you don't have the haunted visions)....strange thing is that once it dropped the first time, it became super-common... and the game started handing those out like free candy.

GEARS 5 - I got back into playing as Jack today... 3 of my skill-cards are level 6 now; this latest operation/update changes things so duplicate cards are auto-scrapped for gold coins!  ...so now I get coins anytime I got cards for those skills that are already at 6.  Even with the unfortunate little changes (Jack can no longer use healing beam through walls), Jack is still occasionally fun to play.... level 16 or so now... finally got the "Backstab" card (hijack kills extend Hijack by __%!).  

Cool thing--- Lambent Locusts can be "hijacked" like other normal enemies!  Ha, that's cool to finally play as a Lambent that way....also it's still funny to pick up allies from downed status and help repair fortifications while I'm still in a hijacked body of an enemy 😆  Edit---there's a card at level 19 called "Rampage"...you deal 20% bleeding damage during Hijack.  HELL yeah I look forward to getting that.  Bleed damage is the god-level shit in this game.

*An asshole thing--- I had to do it, man... in one of the Horde sessions tonight... as Jack, I kept checking the weapon lockers... there was a "Demo" player in the mix... and sure enough, I saw the GL Lancer in there one time.... this is the last weapon I need to salvage as Jack to get that achievement.  I HAD to do it, folks.  The Demo was busy in another part of the map killing stuff... I snatched that GL Lancer off the locker and salvaged that sumbitch for the achievement.

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

It was a technical and not legal reasons. To make sure the game sounds and music was compatible with the majority of PC sound cards at the time, concessions had to be made.  They couldn't get the Genesis sound working in the PC, and used Midi files for the tracks. The General MIDI standard didn't support some of the sampled sound effects the Genesis game used. 

This sounds plausible since the tracks in question that were replaced all have voice samples except for Ice Cap.  Not sure sure if I can fully believe it though due to the pure coincidence of MJ being involved with those specific tracks and Sega's weirdness surrounding the game in general.

@MillionX

What system are you looking for the Firebird helm on?

I have it non-seasonal on PS4.

I stopped doing seasons when they started giving things like an extra Kanai slot.

Better to never play that way than to have it taken back in three months.

6 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

Finished the The Doom Eternal's final story DLC campaign last night.
.... to sum up the game as whole now that I've finally finished the Ancient Gods PT 2 DLC

I lent my copy of Eternal to my brother when I gave him my PS4 Pro.  Soon as I get it back I want to check out the DLC.  Haven't done any of it yet.

Thats 5.  Or is that last one there Sonic 3 and Knuckles 1 game?

Anyhow, I only liked the first and second game.  The rest I didnt care about.

I only tried 1 of the 3d sonic games and I thought it was terrible.  I'm not sure how many sonic games there are in total.

One more edit - I kind of feel the same way about sonic that I do about mega man though.  I had no interest in the games after the second iteration.  For some reason I tend to lose interest in a game series after game 2.  But these two stand out cause they got mad games and, to me, they're all the same shit.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
34 minutes ago, iStu X said:

1) you’re assuming a lot based off what I said 

2) how dare people have different opinions. 

You literally said “Sonic and Sega as a whole sucks”. Like...ok fine, feel that way, it’s just shocking to hear lmao.

31 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

What you consider the first 4?
Me it's Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles 

Oh sorry. Sonic 1-3 and S&K. I guess in my head I never really thought of CD as a mainline game but it really is...

I dunno, I think Sonic games have rightfully earned a bit of a stigma. I’ve just never agreed when people imply there haven’t been great games out of the franchise. 

6 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

You literally said “Sonic and Sega as a whole sucks”. Like...ok fine, feel that way, it’s just shocking to hear lmao.

Why? I’ve always been pretty vocal about my dislike of Sega and Sonic. 

and I also said that there’s very few sonic games I find worth playing. Which is true. And even then they barely pass as playable to me. 

Edited by iStu X

I enjoyed the first 3 Sonic games as a kid, but they don't hold up now. Lots of the other classic titles/franchises from that era (Mario, Mega Man, Contra, Castlevania, etc) are still enjoyable. I wouldn't say that Sega as a whole sucks, just that their effective early 90's "attitude"  marketing paints them more positively than they really earned. 

Edited by Camacho