Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

Did anyone watch that russian qualifier tournament? That was the most online@online tournament I've ever seen, people being crazy offensive, some Mika player spending more time in the air than your average Silver Cammy etc. I don't want to downplay these players because they're probably way better than myself but compared to what we've seen from other regions it's definitely not on the same level.

It was fun though. I particularly liked how Jammerz was making fun of players for their pre-match quotes. There was some guy who said he was expecting a lot of wakeup DPs from his opponent. And he then proceeded to getting hit by literally all of them.

5 hours ago, delete_me said:

Did anyone watch that russian qualifier tournament? That was the most online@online tournament I've ever seen, people being crazy offensive, some Mika player spending more time in the air than your average Silver Cammy etc. I don't want to downplay these players because they're probably way better than myself but compared to what we've seen from other regions it's definitely not on the same level.

It was fun though. I particularly liked how Jammerz was making fun of players for their pre-match quotes. There was some guy who said he was expecting a lot of wakeup DPs from his opponent. And he then proceeded to getting hit by literally all of them.

I usually just stick to watching the strongest regions: Japan, Asia, North America, Europe.  I watched a bit of the South America CPT and it was wild lol.  Sounds like the Russian tournament was similar.  

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Alright, gonna check this stuff out.

Time stamped at the start of the first set of matches with the quotes.

LMAO this quote is great "I only think about what's important".

Yeah I watched that Sunday night, won't spoil anything. I like watching events where I don't know the player sometimes. It's interesting to see play things play out in that scenario. It's also cool to see less represented regions. 

13 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I usually just stick to watching the strongest regions: Japan, Asia, North America, Europe.  I watched a bit of the South America CPT and it was wild lol.  Sounds like the Russian tournament was similar.  

I think Japan is on another level right now. Just a lot less "scrambly", very optimised, few to no drops or mistakes. Even someone as dominant as Nephew looks a bit wonky by comparison. Capcom Cup will definitely be interesting.

What do you thing about Air only Just Defend and Air only Parry being a new defensive option.

What are the problems with the two in a game like?

Which is better among the two if would in a game like SF?

IF not on the 2 how about Short Jumps like KOF Hops?

thanks guys

Edited by Shakunetsu
19 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Please link if wong ever destroys this guy.

Not gonna lie, that comment irked me more than it made me laugh. That dude is literally talking shit to the best to ever do it.

Like stop, get some help. People spent years trying to break bread with the Gawd. People wild AF.

14 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Not gonna lie, that comment irked me more than it made me laugh. That dude is literally talking shit to the best to ever do it.

Like stop, get some help. People spent years trying to break bread with the Gawd. People wild AF.

Lol the fact that he is talking shit to him means he doesn’t know Wong is. He’s being disrespectful but he doesn’t know just how disrespectful. 

19 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What do you thing about Air only Just Defend and Air only Parry being a new defensive option.

thanks guys

I think they could put Air Block into the next SF, if they do it right.

But since I don't trust Capcom to do it right, it is better if they dont.

Parry as a whole is a bad mechanic and should never be brought back as it was in SF3.

And Just Defend is..... fine, but modern versions usually suck ass for some reason.

19 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

thanks guys

The only reasons I can think of using something like that would be to go air to air with someone or to mitigate risk while jumping in on them. The first case, I don't see why you'd bother if you have an attack that would work better, and the second just nerfs anti airs and makes jumping in safer than imo it should be. 

I do like short hops though. They add an interesting layer of strategy in the KoF games and they make for some interesting oki in SamSho 5 Special. 

Actually I was just thinking other ways to bait yolo DPs without nerfing DP and bringing back invincible DP that's why it mostly about just AIR stuff not really on ground. Any other better ideas and suggestion than those that i mentioned?

Edited by Shakunetsu
33 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

That doesn’t answer my question though. It’s like saying Street Figther needs parries because of Street Figther 3.

I’m just curious what you think.

Well it doesn't need it. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it.

Mainpoint here would be how they balance it.

Classic airblocking means, unless the move that gets blocked is airbone itself or a projectile, you cannot block it, which means AA Normals are usually the way to go.

So if you bait the DP with it, you will eat dirt if they use a normal, but the DP would still beat the button.

Personaly if it's just that, I actually don't mind it at all, since I usually use buttons to AA anyway and DPs are what I mash, when my opponent thinks it's actually his turn to press buttons now.

But does SF need that (again)? I don't think it does. I just don't think it would change that much.

If they do airblocking like in Strive tho, they can fuck off right there, thats the worst way to do that stuff.

34 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Alpha didn't need it either.

Clearly Capcom disagrees with you and you have to bow down to their wisdome without questioning it!

9 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Well I don't like air blocking in SF at anyform Im just look a way to punish yolo DPs but also bringing back the invincible DPs 

Not the terrible SF5 crush counter

Missing a DP is already the most detrimental thing you can do in SF though. You already lose like 1/3 of your hp for not landing it and eating a full combo punish as a result...how much more unsafe does it need to be?

The reason SFV doesn’t have meterless invincible DPs is because offense in SFV sucks and is based around hitting your +2 or 3 medium punch in shitty blockstrings.

Yes obviously I was being 100% literal. 

My point is that most characters are generally using the basics to open you up for most of the match. Lots of frame traps, strike/throw, etc. When I say SFV’s offense is shit I’m comparing it to other games. You’re not calling in assists to lock the other guy down or doing tk air specials for instant overheads that’s all I’m saying. 

Like other than some of the ways characters use meter to get in I’ve never run into anything in SFV I thought was too good offensively.

Edit: Am I supposed to be outraged by Bison getting thrown 5 times? That situation is much less likely to happen if Bison could let a DP fly at any moment.

Edited by Vhozite
18 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Missing a DP is already the most detrimental thing you can do in SF though. You already lose like 1/3 of your hp for not landing it and eating a full combo punish as a result...how much more unsafe does it need to be?

The reason SFV doesn’t have meterless invincible DPs is because offense in SFV sucks and is based around hitting your +2 or 3 medium punch in shitty blockstrings.

110% cosign. You can just spaz out on offense in V, super dumb and predictable offense that there is virtually no real counter to. Spaced fireballs used to be SF's signature in terms of pressing on offense safely. Most other predictable moves could be read and countered. 

But I guess that's just what the FGC is today, adapt or die. I think I've seen it referred to as dial a fighter. Just mash out those normals in sequence. People seem to really like and support this style though, so who am I to criticize it. Frame data was always useful but the SFV approach makes it pretty much the only thing that matters. It's like studying a really lame textbook, rote memorization and restricted scenarios. No real room for creativity or forcing lots of scramble situations. Which is what I believe the heart of FGs is. I'm 100% certain you can just program an AI for SFV easily.