Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

5 hours ago, Sonero said:

Lets really look back at some old games we're still playing and put that mentality on it. How many old games if released under a new name now, would we still be playing if we gave them that treatment? Yeah, a lot of stuff wouldn't make it past the first 3 weeks.

New name? A lot of re-releases and games in general plummeted as soon as they weren't the hot shit of the month. It happened with +R and Strive and now it's happening with Lumina as we speak.

These hoes ain't loyal.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

New name? A lot of re-releases and games in general plummeted as soon as they weren't the hot shit of the month. It happened with +R and Strive and now it's happening with Lumina as we speak.

These hoes ain't loyal.

People generally only like playing the games they're really good in. I know a bunch of people that still play +r and 3s and other older games, but they're always somewhere in the top 10-20 of online players, and usually have a tournament background in said game offline. 

For everyone else yeah it's usually a month, maybe three or so months and then they move on. 

Fightcade is literally free but people don't want to play on it. It's also had the best rollback implementation online for some time, albeit I do think it slipped a bit earlier this year and don't know if it recovered. Even slipped though it's still better than pretty much any other online. Yet you just won't see people playing anything outside of some people for 3s. 

Most people prefer talking about fighting games, especially how they're great at them and others are bad at them, than actually playing. 

2 minutes ago, Serpent said:

People generally only like playing the games they're really good in. I know a bunch of people that still play +r and 3s and other older games, but they're always somewhere in the top 10-20 of online players, and usually have a tournament background in said game offline. 

For everyone else yeah it's usually a month, maybe three or so months and then they move on. 

Fightcade is literally free but people don't want to play on it. It's also had the best rollback implementation online for some time, albeit I do think it slipped a bit earlier this year and don't know if it recovered. Even slipped though it's still better than pretty much any other online. Yet you just won't see people playing anything outside of some people for 3s. 

Most people prefer talking about fighting games, especially how they're great at them and others are bad at them, than actually playing. 

Half of r/Kappa's goons play less FGs than me and they talk about them like they're actually putting in work.

At least I'm honest, I'm in this joint for the story mode. 🤣

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

nathan fillion hd GIF

I'm not talking about the environments and the enemy design, those were - at least graphically - pretty good for the most part. My issue is with the cardboard cut-out world that feels like an empty movie set with the player character being the only cognitive being, trudging along a barely existing story that functions only as a coat hanger for the gameplay. The supporting cast, if there are any, always feel like lifeless AIs rooted in a particular spot. I finished the original Demon's Souls and I can't for the life of me remember anything about the story or even who the main antagonist was. Overall, I did like the game, especially the PvP. I particularly enjoyed my health regen build.

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

No lie Dark Souks remastered is the first game I’ve ever refunded on Steam. Felt like a game meant for people with game handles that start and end with “x”

Oh wow same here. Though my thought was more like this is made for ppl with more time than me

I had more time for  "There are secrets where fairies don't live" stuff before becoming a family man.

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

nathan fillion hd GIF

Just taking it on the books, GRR Martin did the setting/world building pretty well.  

Like, especially after the 3rd book the plot really starts to bog down and suck, but the setting is always rich in a way the show barely hints at (probably would have broke the budget).

I don't know what people want when they say defensive options. Its always "yeah, lets have super aggressive and a bunch of set play" then all that comes and they go "wait, I can't do anything."

This is why you gotta ignore all the people that complain about defensive options but don't give an example of one they like. It was the same thing in SF5 for a good while. "We need more defensive options". Great like what? and then people didn't have a good example...so now they gave us an invinsible backdash that cost meter and sometimes didn't come out.

BLEH.

25 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The only defensive options you need in street fighter is meterless DPs and good normals 

No need for tacked on mechanics such as V-reversal or that new backdash when jab-checking is a thing. Being able to control space is a defensive mechanic in its own right. That, and meterless DPs as you said. It's a lot harder to spaz out when even a 1-frame gap in your offense means you could be eating a reversal.

43 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Offense being the best defense will always and forever be garbage. 

Who is saying that?

DP’ing with someone in your face is not offense, and good normals keeping the other guy out is definitely not offense.

Edited by Vhozite
8 hours ago, Sonero said:

I don't know what people want when they say defensive options. Its always "yeah, lets have super aggressive and a bunch of set play" then all that comes and they go "wait, I can't do anything."

This is why you gotta ignore all the people that complain about defensive options but don't give an example of one they like. It was the same thing in SF5 for a good while. "We need more defensive options". Great like what? and then people didn't have a good example...so now they gave us an invinsible backdash that cost meter and sometimes didn't come out.

BLEH.

I wanted to comment on this, but I don't remember what SFV's bullshit is like.

Feels gooooooooooooooood~

Nicolas Cage Hair GIF

Basically Shield is a seperate Button.
The D Button in this case.

If you press it, you get an active shield for some frames, if it parries an attack you can press either A for a Launcher or B to "nothing personal kid" them.

The Joke is, you can shield these counter moves yourself, since getting shielded usually puts you back into a situation where you can use shield.

The thing is, Shield only works in 1 direction. You're open to lows if you do standing Shield and open to mids/highs, when you crouch. Also Throws hardcounter Shields.

It's simplified from the original Melty, since you need way less inputs to use it effectively.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:48 PM, Vhozite said:

This. Young players just hate anything that stops them from going full throttle 100% of the time, and I say that as someone who hates all combo breakers that aren’t GG style burst. 

I will say that I hate most defensive mechanics for two reasons. 

1. Like most people, I don’t like my earned reward being retroactively taken. 

2. More importantly, I feel like defensive mechanics and their reactive nature are used as justification for enabling overly oppressive offensive options. 

Them taking your reward often means them giving up resources to do so though. In that situation, you've lost some position and damage, but if you got yourself in the exact same position again, there'd likely be nothing they could do about it. 

On 10/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sonero said:

Some of the older players are tripping balls too. Like with Instablock in Strive. If you IB the right move, you basically get to bone a person entirely for it since most things in this game are negative. There's a two frame window to do it, but you can do it if you're paying attention. Instead of practicing it, you get a lot of people crying about it. Game has been out for 3ish months and people aren't using all the available options to their fullest extent and they want adjustments.

Hell I asked for tips on some match ups and I get told to wait for the patch. There's a general weird laziness about certain things that creeped up on the scene. Things need to be amazing on day 1 or its trash. Lets really look back at some old games we're still playing and put that mentality on it. How many old games if released under a new name now, would we still be playing if we gave them that treatment? Yeah, a lot of stuff wouldn't make it past the first 3 weeks.

People know if they complain enough, a patch will come. Sign of the times I guess. 

On 10/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, Sonero said:

+R testament is criminal. Justice is criminal to half the cast. Zappa's sword was the same thing. 

Testament actually got a lot of nerfs for +R. He's still pretty good but it takes a whole lot more effort to keep his bullshit going than it did in Accent Core. Nothing criminal going on there. 

5 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Testament actually got a lot of nerfs for +R. He's still pretty good but it takes a whole lot more effort to keep his bullshit going than it did in Accent Core. Nothing criminal going on there. 

Got nerfed straight into S tier.

:coffee:

8 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Them taking your reward often means them giving up resources to do so though. In that situation, you've lost some position and damage, but if you got yourself in the exact same position again, there'd likely be nothing they could do about it. 

I agree, but I’m not really trying to dispute the actual balance or fairness. I’m just saying why me and other might have an issue with certain mechanics.

Its like when you’re watching (American) football and a big run for a TD gets called back for a holding penalty. There is nothing wrong with that situation but it’s extremely feels bad for the runner and probably anyone else involved in the play. 

28 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Got nerfed straight into S tier.

:coffee:

Far as I'm aware he's not S tier. He was top 3 in AC, but you know what? Even if he is S tier (which, based I the tierlists I saw when I was playing the game more, he was.high mid tier, not that tiers really even matter at this level anyway) better a character like him that takes work to learn to play well being top tier than someone like Sol who can play autistically and still get great results. Which is why I'm ok with Eddie being as good as he is, because that's a hard character to learn and you may as well get some rewards for putting in the work. 

Edited by DoctaMario
27 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Far as I'm aware he's not S tier. He was top 3 in AC, but you know what? Even if he is S tier (which, based I the tierlists I saw when I was playing the game more) better a character like him that takes work to learn to play well being top tier than someone like Sol who can play autistically and still get great results. Which is why I'm ok with Eddie being as good as he is, because that's a hard character to learn and you may as well get some rewards for putting in the work. 

Compared to how he was in Slash, +R Testament is tame

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Compared to how he was in Slash, +R Testament is tame

KY ran this shit from what I remember Klaige saying, but I never really played Slash. So Testament was real good in that one? I know he was ridiculous in X too but he was a boss character so I guess that's to be expected. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:32 AM, Pair of Rooks said:

Oh wow same here. Though my thought was more like this is made for ppl with more time than me

I had more time for  "There are secrets where fairies don't live" stuff before becoming a family man.

I'm in the middle of my first DSR run and that's kinda how I feel about it. Granted, in Souls games, your character being dogshit at the beginning, and not knowing what's going on makes it worse. It just takes too long and because I don't have the time to game that I used to, I'm less inclined to want to slog through it. When it's fun, it's fun, but a lot of times it's not. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time and even when it's hard Im still having some semblance of fun, but I'm starting to think Souls just isn't for me anymore. 

Edited by DoctaMario
36 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

better a character like him that takes work to learn to play well being top tier than someone like Sol who can play autistically and still get great results.

Easy or hard, if the character is f-ed up, the character is f-ed up. No amount of "this is hard you won't see it" has stopped broken stuff from taking over.  Almost all the top tier characters end up with a bare level where you can "autistically" do silly stuff and still get great results.

Testament has been perpetrating for years and people their don't know or have shitty boomer memory:

So to recap:

ArcSys has a long and proud history of releasing turbo nonsense. About as proud as Capcom's gibberish and probably worse.

No amount of defensive mechanics were saving you against some of this stuff.

Invincible backdashes in SF are wack; don't even mention air blocking FOH with all that.

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time and even when it's hard Im still having some semblance of fun, but I'm starting to think Souls just isn't for me anymore. 

Playing through BB again right now and the gears are starting to turn, but the first hour to hour and a half were absolutely miserable. 

Honestly, I really, really don't like the control layout and wish that I could change my button mapping. I guess fromsoft thinks that sort of thing is for scrubs🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Easy or hard, if the character is f-ed up, the character is f-ed up. No amount of "this is hard you won't see it" has stopped broken stuff from taking over.  Almost all the top tier characters end up with a bare level where you can "autistically" do silly stuff and still get great results.

Testament has been perpetrating for years and people their don't know or have shitty boomer memory:

So to recap:

ArcSys has a long and proud history of releasing turbo nonsense. About as proud as Capcom's gibberish and probably worse.

No amount of defensive mechanics were saving you against some of this stuff.

Invincible backdashes in SF are wack; don't even mention air blocking FOH with all that.

Sounds like you have a rough time with the matchup so the character is "f'ed up." 

The video you picked, there's a clear skill gap between the players and if I remember right, that's a badatchuo for Order Sol, so that's a bad example imo. If you watch high level tourney footage of people like Fiestament and Dogura, they don't use a lot of Testaments stuff because against a player who knows better, it can get you killed if you don't do it right. 

20 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Playing through BB again right now and the gears are starting to turn, but the first hour to hour and a half were absolutely miserable. 

Honestly, I really, really don't like the control layout and wish that I could change my button mapping. I guess fromsoft thinks that sort of thing is for scrubs🤷‍♀️

Let me know if you need help, maybe we can coop. But yeah, the beginning of the first run of any soulsborne game can be pretty miserable lol. 

I also don't understand the button layout of those games. I remember remapping it when I started playing DS the first time but you can't really do that in the console versions I don't think. I have yet to figure out what the deal is with that though. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

The PS4 allows you to remap buttons. It has to be done outside the game

30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

so if it’s not there I always assume they cut corners elsewhere and/or their game difficulty is reliant on the controls sucking ass.

Not to mention it's an accessibility thing that should definitely be considered, but in my experience, Japanese developers as a whole don't take accessibility into consideration as much as western devs