Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

What does this mean?

Instead of having the whole thing driven by writers, we let the community actually write.

I'd also highly encourage that it'd be gameplay focused since Eventhubs and SRK were severely lacking in strategy content.

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

SRK tech section has been super outdated for a long time now.  Not only that, but most of the guides people have written no longer have working images.  If SRK were to be deleted tomorrow I don't think it would make much of a difference on the tech front.

It's wasted on most people anyway - these days a lot of people think modding a stick means changing the color of the Sanwa buttons they use.  Modern sticks are great because they are arcade quality right out of the box, but the downside is that people no longer understand how sticks work, and have 0 interest in doing any meaningful customization. 

It's also caused a real lack of part diversity - people think Sanwa is the best and only option, and have never even tried stuff from other manufacturers.  Going to the fight stick subreddit and seeing post after post of people thinking they're a tech wizard because they changed the color of their joystick balltop is a bit depressing.

Its great if you're trying to do an old project though. They still had all the info for padcaking dreamcasts pads.

22 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Man, I got assblasted online today, I don't think I won more than 5 matches of probably close to 30+ I played. feelsbadman

It happens, definitely. I've finally bested NA's top player, narrowly, today. The score was 5 to 4. However, the both us were dropping execution timing. It's generally quite time consuming to search for your strongest character and having to require your skills so quickly during the process, with resisting to tendency to counter pick your opponent at the sametime. 

I've only been playing in Fighting Ex Layer Another Dash since the release in May and the veterans have been playing the series in the total for a couple of years now. It's impressive that I'm holding my own this quickly in the same year. Due to having experience the SFEX series a long time ago, the losses against me by top players really paid off. Thanks to them and the FEXL community, I'm in my prime again. 

Edited by iEmptyeyes
2 hours ago, iEmptyeyes said:

It happens, definitely. I've finally bested NA's top player, narrowly, today. The score was 5 to 4. However, the both us were dropping execution timing. It's generally quite time consuming to search for your strongest character and having to require your skills so quickly during the process, with resisting to tendency to counter pick your opponent at the sametime. 

I've only been playing in Fighting Ex Layer Another Dash since the release in May and the veterans have been playing the series in the total for a couple of years now. It's impressive that I'm holding my own this quickly in the same year. Due to having experience the SFEX series a long time ago, the losses against me by top players really paid off. Thanks to them and the FEXL community, I'm in my prime again. 

I took about 2 years off from playing seriously so there are people who were just getting started when I stopped that are absolute beasts now. Makes me wish I hadn't stopped but life changes just didn't leave much time for playing. I think part of the problem is that either I'm hella rusty still or I just wasn't as good as I thought I was before, like maybe my competition wasn't as.good as some of them are now and that's a bit of a pill to swallow. I've been trying to play an hour a day if I can and it's definitely helping but it's frustrating to play a few people back to back and just get wrecked. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

This is nothing new lol.

I meat multiple people in SFIV who played Toolassisted and it was obvious to tell from the Replays.

This also happend on PS4 btw.

There will always be these douchbags who have to ruin everyone elses fun.

It's a lot less likely to happen on console. In fact in all the years I've been playing fighting games, I've never once encountered a cheater.

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

It's a lot less likely to happen on console. In fact in all the years I've been playing fighting games, I've never once encountered a cheater.

It's naive to say that.

Considering a lot of modern hacks are primarly made for consoles.

As most console games have 0 protection against hacker and cheater, running there wild is ridicoulisly easy, especially with modern Consoles.

2 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

It's naive to say that.

Considering a lot of modern hacks are primarly made for consoles.

As most console games have 0 protection against hacker and cheater, running there wild is ridicoulisly easy, especially with modern Consoles.

Like I said I've never seen a single cheater on console. When I played counterstrike on PC there were tons of hackers. It's definitely more of a problem in FPS games but they still pop up in fighters once in awhile.  

I'd like to see Capcom/ASW just flat out banning people and that would hopefully scare away anyone from trying it. 

Edited by HeavensCloud
7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What are some good single player games? Looking for something sandbox-y

Immortals Fenyx Rising got overlooked a bit last year. It's a bit of a mash-up between Breath of the Wild and AC Odyssey, but more streamlined, with way better combat and a very classic feel to it (i.e. it reminded me a bit of the PS2 era in a good way). It's also not as bloated as other modern open world games.

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Looking for something sandbox-y

If you haven't played Sleeping Dogs yet, its 2.99 on steam right now. Sort of like a Kung Fu Crime Thriller GTA.

If you just want to whoop some fantasy ass Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning.

Both are pretty high up in the "I can whoop some ass" factor.

35 minutes ago, Sonero said:

If you haven't played Sleeping Dogs yet, its 2.99 on steam right now. Sort of like a Kung Fu Crime Thriller GTA.

If you just want to whoop some fantasy ass Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning.

Both are pretty high up in the "I can whoop some ass" factor.

I actually would prefer to play something where kicking ass is hard, at least at first. I like when my character starts off weak and I have to take care to not get bodied by enemies. I find that single player games get boring fast after your character becomes a walking god. 

I wouldn't say you become a walking god in either. Just that fighting feels good. In Sleeping Dogs you start off with a limited moveset, and then by collecting some items you unlock story elements of the charater that give you more stuff to do.

Same with Kingdom of Amalur. Fighting feels pretty good in both though. KoA lets you OTG people with bow shots and everything.

45 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I actually would prefer to play something where kicking ass is hard, at least at first. I like when my character starts off weak and I have to take care to not get bodied by enemies. I find that single player games get boring fast after your character becomes a walking god. 

Probably absolutely not what you are looking for but you have to run from every fight in the first ten hours of Elex because everything murders you. Only after levelling up through quests will you eventually be able to kill some dino-chickens but will still use your companions as punching bags because everything further up the foodchain will stay a menace up until very close to the end.

There's another rather unpolished and wonky but supposedly really good open world RPG that can be rather harsh, but I forget the name. Something with "Out..." I think? I'll google a bit. Edit: Outward!

Also, Breath of the Wild is no walk in the park early on either, but that game revolves more around preparation and equipment than actual combat proficency, so I'm not sure if it's the right kind of game either (it's fantastic though).

Edited by delete_me
6 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Probably absolutely not what you are looking for but you have to run from every fight in the first ten hours of Elex because everything murders you. Only after levelling up through quests will you eventually be able to kill some dino-chickens but will still use your companions as punching bags because everything further up the foodchain will stay a menace up until very close to the end.

As a expert in Piranha Bytes Games, this is true and false at the same time.

The Monsters in the area you start at, are usually very weak, mainly to ease you into the game.

Once you get past the starting zone, the world is gated off by fights. You want to get onto that mountain? To bad there is a Troll blocking your way and he will oneshot you for the next 20 hours.

However, you can come back at night and sneak past the Troll, as most monsters will sleep at night. And now you find yourself on a mountain full of undead who want and will bite your head off.

I played all Piranha Bytes games.

I recommend Gothic 2 Gold, with some Mod help it runs good and can be played in.... a lot of way.

Open world is big enough to reward exploring, but it doesn't sacrifice the narrative driven experience.

24 minutes ago, Volt said:

Does anyone even care at this point?

I do. 

Some people gotta pay what they owe from 2020. Its also absolute and complete nonsense that many active users got dicked out of actually making a place they cared about better through being unable to contact the owners but some random dude hosting weeb game wikis suddenly is the one person who cared so much.

Nah, fam. 

If anything its worth making "Join MegaShock threads " over there. 

:coffee:

the Politics and SF Lore threads will probably remain the only semi-active ones now that SRK has reopened

but I fully expect the Cannon Bros (or whoever handles the place now) to considerably clean the whole thing up by the time Project L launches. Can't have all the League normies read on the wild shit that NA FGC members posted there back in the day

Well, the guy that is trying to restart SRK sounds like a good guy.

🤔

Edit: What I said stands mostly and TBH, that's how its gonna look like to outsiders on the weeb thing. Cannons gotta start communicating even if its to say "look we got kids and we got tired of this bullshit". Because I got kids and lemme tell you how easy it is to get tired. 😂

On 9/24/2021 at 9:07 AM, Sonero said:

Instead of having the whole thing driven by writers, we let the community actually write.

I'd also highly encourage that it'd be gameplay focused since Eventhubs and SRK were severely lacking in strategy content.

The problem with this is that a lot of people who are good at games aren't necessarily good writers.  Every article needs to be vetted, and gone over with by an editor.  There also needs to be someone who can manage and guide the site's overall direction.  This requires a bit of manpower and a few regular staff.

Unfortunately I also don't think the scene is that hungry for full-length strategy articles these days.  @Dayaanhas made some really really nice 3S guides, but I think most new players just go to Discord and Twitter to find short combo clips and random information.  If they really want some more in-depth info they will usually visit a wiki. The old school method of writing a play bible and posting it to a blog/site doesn't seem that popular in 2021.

For better or for worse I think Eventhubs is the last traditional FGC news site, and even then it's mostly filled with fluff.  Not only that, but all the strategy features/sections go largely untouched and ignored.  I suspect at least one of the reasons SRK's frontpage died is that it really didn't serve much of a purpose anymore.  People were getting their news and info from social media rather than old-school monolithic websites.

All this pretty much means that I can't see a good reason to invest heavily in setting up an old-school FGC news/article site at the moment.  There's no guarantee either the content or the visitors will be there.  It's a pretty large time investment that currently looks like it will result in very little return.

With all that being said, if anyone comes up with cool ideas they are always free to let me know!  We may be looking to do regular events/streams/other community-focused projects in the near future!

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

xjf3pbncmu361.jpg

Lag is always the worst no matter how the match goes because it makes the results feel invalid regardless. 

Especially in SFV with one-sided rollback. You start losing after there is a big ass lag spike but then I always wonder if I was only winning because of lag...

Gotta just stay in the lab and grind impractical combos lol

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

@Dayaanhas made some really really nice 3S guides

Appreciate it, but I wrote my guides in tandem with top players all over the US. You can be a good writer, you can be a good player, but none of it matters unless it's a collaborative effort between yourself and the best of the community. Hope this helps whoever wants to write guides. I'm not keeping up with the thread, but if that's what's being discussed, please do keep in mind not to write your own guides, even if they are factually correct. As any 3S player will tell you, minimising risk is always a good thing. Stay sharp, kiddos.