Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

Love is War S3 really going above and beyond this week. Just when you thought it was a wrap, they hit you with the god damn spiritual successor to the Chika Dance ED from S1 

Hell I still can't get over the fact that the normal S3 ED is pretty much them just animating Starship Troopers lmao, not to mention it directly continues off the S1 ED too. 

These animators are having way too much on this series, can't love all this enough. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:20 AM, HD-Man said:

Watching "The World's Finest Assassin is Reincarnated", got dragged into another damn Isekei. Lol

But I kinda like the premise. Old man main character is a plus 

The world building is good, but the harem trope is way too stale, and the story arc of season 1 fell too flat for me to recommend it.  I do know that if it gets more seasons the later material from the manga is supposed to be more interesting.

Mushoku Tensei was the much better show of that season, even though the main character starts off even cringier.

Edited by Reticently
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Togashi announced he's writing four new chapters of Hunter X Hunter after 4 years hiatus. Hope the audience is still there for it. 

there absolutely is....i just saw a top 10 richest manga artists list and hes somehow still in the top 10 lol.

Just now, HD-Man said:

Lmao Togashi the GOAT. Man can take off for a decade playing Dragon Quest and still be on top 

dawg i was reading this list and it made me depressed that the creator of demon slayer couldnt make the top 10 but then again japan is notoriously bad at paying creators. 

12 hours ago, Maxx said:

there absolutely is....i just saw a top 10 richest manga artists list and hes somehow still in the top 10 lol.

If I am remembering right him and his wife are manga legends. He honestly could stop altogether and his family is set with generational money outside of them acting stupid.

On a unrelated note, watching the One Piece dub and these fools really did just quote Vanilla Ice.

Edited by Wellman
1 hour ago, Wellman said:

If I am remembering right him and his wife are manga legends. He honestly could stop altogether and his family is set with generational money outside of them acting stupid.

On a unrelated note, watching the One Piece dub and these fools really did just quote Vanilla Ice.

His wife created sailor moon so yes legend. But the fact he hasn't been that consistent during his hxh era but still makes so much money is impressive. But he must also still be taking some money from yuyu 

Yu Yu Hakusho was always one of my personal favorites. Wish the ending wasn't so rushed. I'd ask for a revival but Togashi ain't even finished HxH yet lol

Speaking of which, last I remember they were on some ship dealing with done crazy princes, while the Spiders were onboard or some shit, I'm probably wrong about all that tho, it's been 4 years lmao

Edited by HD-Man
4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Yu Yu Hakusho was always one of my personal favorites. Wish the ending wasn't so rushed. I'd ask for a revival but Togashi ain't even finished HxH yet lol

Speaking of which, last I remember they were on some ship dealing with done crazy princes, while the Spiders were onboard or some shit, I'm probably wrong about all that tho, it's been 4 years lmao

They are on their way to the dark continent.  Kurapika is the protagonist atm and hired as a bodyguard

8 minutes ago, Maxx said:

They are on their way to the dark continent.  Kurapika is the protagonist atm and hired as a bodyguard

Ah, I did a quick refresh last night. Shit gonna get ALOT worse once they actually reach that continent, it's some fucked up shit on that side of the world. I expect a high casualty count, not Chimera Ant high but high enough 

Curious to see how Hisoka picks off more of the Spiders. He ain't playin no games after being killed 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, HD-Man said:

Togashi announced he's writing four new chapters of Hunter X Hunter after 4 years hiatus. Hope the audience is still there for it. 

Whoa, Togashi is back? That takes me back! In the late 90's I remember his manga "Girl With a Thousand Curses" was one of the first to come to the U.S. with Icarus Publishing.

I was able to find an English sub version of the 2019 French City Hunter film (Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon).

Pros:

The characters look and act 99% like their anime counterparts. Despite their French language, French names, and French locales, this live action film feels a lot more accurate to the anime than the 1993   Jackie Chan film (which is entertaining but not as close to the source material as this film imo) The colt python, Austin mini, the hammers are all there.

The humor is very slapstick and works most of the time.

Decent action

There are songs and music cues from the anime.

The film does not drag. Its only 88 minutes.

Cons

The serious parts don't really grab you since the comedy is so prominent. 

The villains, like the show, aren't really noteworthy.

Overall: 8/10

The movie was directed and  co-written by, the actor playing Ryo. It is said that it was his favorite show growing up and you can tell.

If they do a sequel, i would recommend going with a more serious plot.

This is mostly a PG-13 film in terms of violence and cursing, but there are TITTAYS and DICKS fully  visible so be warned.

I

Edited by DangerousJ

Yu Yu Hakusho season 4 blu-ray arrived. Now I got da whole series, baby. I've never seen the final arc, which is Three Kings, I believe. I started watching season 1 months ago so I should resume this binge. 

I was looking for the second Attack on Titan Omnibus for my niece in Books a Million and saw some Osamu Tezuka manga I'd never read before like Ode to Kirihito and Apollo's Song. Ode to Kirihito is THICK. Over 800 pages. 

Looking for more readily available Tezuka manga, I went on Amazon and picked up The Thief Inoue Akikazu and Other stories along with Melody of Iron and Other Short Stories, and Clockwork Apple.

I've always wanted to check out more of Tezuka's works besides Astro Boy now thanks to these and Dororo, I'm gonna do just that.

Picked up another Tezuka manga, this one is called Under the Air. Still sitting in the pile, shrink wrapped until I get some other stuff read. But I find it best to grab Tezuka manga when it is available. Black Jack volumes after the first 3 go for stupid prices.

I also decided to start buying Pluto, which is a noir story based on Tezuka's "The World's Greatest Robot" from Astro Boy. Apparently this Naoki Urasaw is a GOAT I should check out. Pluto is also only 8 volumes so I won't spend an eternity collecting it.

Since Pluto is based on an Astro Boy story, I decided to finally start my Astro Boy Omnibus books that I bought back in 2019. The first few stories of Omnibus 1 are familiar since I was fortunate enough to get a copy of Dark Horse's original vol. 1 manga from the early 2000s. And holy crap is the Hot Dog Corps an intriguing but loooong story.

Have you ever seen some manga on the shelves staring at you but you pass it up? I was doing that with this one series for a while but finally decided to check it out. It was Spy x Family. Got the first four volumes. Looks cute, funny and super freaking cool.

Wanting to check out more Naoki Urasawa stuff, I bought the first two volumes of Asadora! This guy has a clean, crisp art style and I can easily tell what is going on in his panels. Asadora! looks like a slice of life story. I've only read the first chapter but I really like it. This seires is only five books so I could finish this one soon.

6 minutes ago, Crucades said:

Super impressed with Spriggan on Netflix, its an old manga but the series is pretty damn faithful and far better than the OVA that came out like 20 years ago.

im honestly confused by the artistic/animation choice. maybe its the artist in me, but i was lookin at the linework of the characters and they are all wonky. you see lines crossing in places it shouldn't. like a fold line will overlap a part that makes no sense. its kinda bothering me, its like organized chaos in animation form.

10 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I loathe 3D Japanese animation, but Spriggin looks interesting enough for me to atleast to try and give it a chance

3D anime has been trash man but Spriggan is different. Its way beyond Kengan Ashura and Blood and Zeus.

Nothing on Castlevania slickness but pretty close lol, I could be biased because ive been a fan since the early 90s, its well worth a watch and the english VA doesnt even piss me off.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:10 AM, HD-Man said:

Trigun being CGI just completely killed my hype, the insistence on using that shit when it hardly ever looks good..... 

It may be too early to say, but the latest DB movie did it pretty well.

At some point, they'll figure it out and like the jump to 3D that a lot of sprite-based FGs got, it'll be worth it in the end.

Shoutouts to ArcSys. 😤

I may give Spriggan on Netflix a look then.

Anyhoo, I'm loving Asadora! Good slice of life manga with a monster mystery.

My Blu-rays of Astro Boy 1980 and Appleseed The Original 1988 OVA came in last week. Only version of Appleseed I saw was the earl/mid 2000s one and I really liked that. Figured I'd give the '88 OVA a watch. Only 65 mins to boot.